• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

msv

A terrorist suspect gets executed, no problem, but using rubber bullets, teargas or watercannons on rioters that are burning and looting is a no-no? Quite curious as to why they're not allowing the use of any force.

Seep

Dark Machine said:
Hope it stays contained in those few streets. If they get into the City itself...it took years to get Liverpool better again...all that work ruined in a few hours.
If it kicks off in the city centre/pier head I'll be fucking gutted it really is looking good lately. Hopefully it's just some bellends and they'll all go home before it gets serious.

KingDizzi

Banned
The UK is a very liberal country, I live in a white area yet as an Indian have never suffered racial abuse. Cut any fucking shit about this being about race or that man whom was shot last week, these are all pathetic excuses. These are chavs looking for an excuse to run riot, there are no two ways about it. I really want to believe that the UK army which are in Germany for no fucking reason come back and beat these bastards up. That won't happen though and I ain't superman so will not go out with a cricket bat to beat them up. I'm curious of what will come from this, for one I already cannot see that cut in police happening anytime soon.

skybaby

Ok. How slow are the authorities in that country? WHY HAVEN'T THEY SET UP A CURFEW?
WHY isn't the army out in the streets already?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm feeling more and more dumbstruck by this.

It's unbelievable. It's like the country is committing suicide.

Tzeentch

skybaby said:
Ok. How slow are the authorities in that country? WHY HAVEN'T THEY SET UP A CURFEW?
WHY isn't the army out in the streets already?
Politics. Almost guaranteed the big shots are sweating how to handle this and not crash the stock market.

radioheadrule83 said:
BBC are mentioning Manchester now too... anyone here able to shed any light?
I hope Manchester doesn't get hit :(

Hackney: 250 - 300 people gathered in Pembury Estate, setting alight cars and throwing petrol bombs. Businesses in Mare Street were looted and officers contained the situation. Three officers injured but their condition is not believed to be serious.
Newham: Looting in Stratford High Street.
Lewisham: Roaming groups of youths were involved in disorder.
Bethnal Green: More than 100 people looted a Tesco supermarket. Two officers were injured.
Croydon: Fires burning at a number of premises, including a very large blaze at a sofa factory.

no angel said:
Yeah, theyre paid To do it. Same way I don't call people lazy when they expect a waiter to bring them their food instead of walking to the kitchen and getting it themselves. What you're suggesting is mob law and vigilante justice, and it's bullshit. So shut up.

No, what I'm actually suggesting is to don't just meekly stand there and watch people burn shit, especially on the street you live. No act of violence would even be needed in this case.

With that said Turkey has national service so they're used to defending shit. Whereas as you are merely used to what exactly? Hoping that telling people to shut up on the net actually works?

first world problems.

Wes

venison crêpe
BBC have set their helicopter back up. Taking pictures of terraced buildings on fire in North Croydon.

I'm sorry if this is insensitive but I found it funny

ThatKevinSmith KevinSmith
If I was in London right now, my first instinct would be to go to The Winchester, have a nice pint, and wait for all of this to blow over...

In all seriousness I hope all this ends soon.

KingDizzi said:
I really want to believe that the UK army which are in Germany for no fucking reason come back and beat these bastards up.

We are bringing them back soon over the next couple of years. I believe a lot of them will be relocated in Andover or something...

anyway, we still have armed forces here, we have the TA too... this can't go on again tomorrow, it's spreading like wildfire. I'm hoping the PM authorises more robust action.

radioheadrule83 said:
We are bringing them back soon over the next couple of years. I believe a lot of them will be relocated in Andover or something...

anyway, we still have armed forces here, we have the TA too... this can't go on again tomorrow, it's spreading like wildfire. I'm hoping the PM authorises more robust action.

What is the function of the TA anyway beyond an Operation Sealion situation?

Smeghead

Has this video been posted? http://yfrog.com/0wtduz

Crazy.

Some pictures as well.

article-0-0D5B456A00000578-166_964x498.jpg

article-0-0D5B466200000578-858_964x562.jpg

DKehoe

Been checking in on this thread for updates but off to bed now. Hope everyone in affected areas stays safe.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Incarnation said:
No, what I'm actually suggesting is to don't just meekly stand there and watch people burn shit, especially on the street you live. No act of violence would even be needed in this case.

With that said Turkey has national service so they're used to defending shit. Whereas as you are merely used to what exactly? Hoping that telling people to shut up on the net actually works?

first world problems.

please, this isn't the time for all this, please stop...

KingDizzi

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
BBC are mentioning Manchester now too... anyone here able to shed any light?
WOW I fucking called it, anyone could have with it being so obvious but still. It's just so obvious, every city here in the UK is gonna have this happen, Newcastle next.

Chaos

jufonuk said:
are you a mini cab or black cab driver? isn'y lbc the dailymail of radio..??

but seriously will check it out. didn't cross my mind to check, thanks :D

Never heard of the station until today just found the people phoning in interesting.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vivalaraza said:
Okay WTF. How is this shit gonna be stopped. What the hell is going on.

I don't see how you stop it if it keeps escalating and spreading. The genie is out of the bottle, the system can't cope.

Implement a curfew, bring in the army, what if everyone just carries on? What do you do with them all? This all kicked off in broad daylight, no one cares.

Wes

venison crêpe
ezekial45 said:
have there been any estimates so far in the costs of damages so far?

£100m was mentioned on an evening broadcast but I think that's very conservative considering the escalation or fires and looting seen tonight.

Mr. Sam said:
Thanks for the post full of putting words in my mouth and sweeping generalisations.

A trip to wikiquotes has not made your lusting for widespread brutality any less absurd.

How is merely standing on the street widespread brutality exactly, it is simply an act of protest against rioting?

If you want the hardcore brutality to be frank, do nothing and watch and see what happens. Then live with the long lasting repercussions, which will the be the suppression of all forms of protest lest it happens again..

Clegg

Whats causing this to spread, is it scum just copying other scum? This could feasibly spread to Scotland and Wales too.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
so when is NATO going in?

Chaos said:
Never heard of the station until today just found the people phoning in interesting.
sorry, just a lot of cabbies seem to listen to this station

Wes

venison crêpe
1.23am: Alex Hudson, a BBC journalist who was beaten up this evening and had his phone stolen as he reported on the riots in east London, tells me that as he finally made his way home a group were on their way to Hackney police station, planning to set it alight.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mecha_Infantry said:
Yeah saw this before. This is why I am thinking some of the UK Anarchist group have involvement in this. It's like the student fee riots
That was copied from an Indymedia article that was posted right after the riots started.

Edit: If you go over Indymedia's London section you will see that they are encouraging this kind of legal advice at the same time they are wondering how could Anarchists profit from this chaos. Shitheads want a piece of it, but they are unsure about the approach.

no angel

The Incarnation said:

first world problems.
Except that isn't what you're doing, you're clearly saying people are in some way wrong by thinking the police should protect them. You're right, these people in London don't have national service. They're not used to doing what you're suggesting. Do you honestly think it would be safe for them to stand up to the rioters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom