• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzeentch

Mush said:
They be silly to send in any kind of decent sized Police force. Why aren't they mobilising the Army?
-- Probably because that has huge political and economic ramifications that go well beyond some rioting and looting. London is getting a huge PR black eye now; being reduced to third-world-country type of peacekeeping (people here were wanting the cops to act like they are in Syria for shits sake) is going to be even worse news. Partly because it calls into question all English foreign military deployments and the politicians don't want to rock that boat.

Chinner

Banned
Smeghead said:
The police are a joke.

3cd8a33a.png
how so? they're hugely outnumbered and they have regulations holding them back, either way nobody has been killed so far.

army will probably be called in at some point.

Wes

venison crêpe
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
They haven't been allowed to use tear gas or rubber bullets yet? That seems like a big mistake. The Stanley Cup tactics (which did help work, though it did sacrifice businesses for a encircling and snuff out the riot) don't seem applicable and there seems no reason not to be armed (hell the cops in the Stanley Cup riots were heavily armed).

The last time they did during the Student protests there was public outrage. May be why they haven't been allowed to use it now? However this time I think the public would fully endorse their use but it's all about PR these days.

SmokyDave said:
Rioters can grab anything to hand, including petrol bombs. Possibility of firearms, while low, does exist. Mostly it's the numbers though. Copper grabs one, six jump the copper from behind, it's over for the copper.
Thing is though, riot control is very sophisticated, and you don't need a 1:1 ratio of cops to rioters to make it an even fight. There are certain formations, scare tactics and charges that can break off riots.

Still though, you need enough people and equipment to do that. And the fact that the riots are everywhere probably makes it impossible to map the whole thing out and create a decent control strategy.

At what point is the involvement of the army legal/justified/...?

Pachinko

Okay, no joke here if this was happening locally to me I'd be ramboing it up right now. None of these miserable little shits deserves to live. Just kill the lot of them. Those that don't get shot as an example, stick 'em on a ship and send them to a part of the world where the quality of life is abhorrent and they'll end up dead on the street. They deserve nothing better.

It's seriously pissing me off reading about this and I'm thousands of miles away. The time for civility is done. I think bullets to brains is the only way to get through to these shit heads.

SmokyDave said:
Rioters can grab anything to hand, including petrol bombs. Possibility of firearms, while low, does exist. Mostly it's the numbers though. Copper grabs one, six jump the copper from behind, it's over for the copper.

I would think frontline would have top body armor. They should also take advantage of being able to deploy gas. Use gas and move in under cover of it. Even if they are the type who have the home made gas masks if you mix in rubber bullets or just slightly more numbers it should help. That said once they try and attack the cop (using the six to one example) lethal force should be an option.

Mr. Sam said:
Oh, you're just being obtuse. Honestly, advising people round up into groups and jeopordise their own safety? Calling people cowardly because they don't want to escalate the violence? Saying people are entitled because they expect police to protect property?

Yeah, we get it - you're part of some superior race above the sub-species that are Londoners. You have balls of steel and a heart full of social equality. You've made your incredibly inane point. You can leave now.

You expect others to jeopardize theirs for you?

You're fine calling people benefits scroungers and scum yet you expect others to defend you?

Let's look at what other inane people have said throughout history shall we.

Our growing softness, our increasing lack of physical fitness, is a menace to our security.
John F. Kennedy

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
Thomas Jefferson

True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown really did a number on you lot down there.

You actually crave to be dictated to, to be ruled by an ironfist..

History has demonstrated enough times that it's never a good idea to leave your security to others.

I too would love it if the army came in.

Seep said:
Toxteth is a shit hole, luckily we have the Matrix unit you don't even want to look at them the wrong way.

Hope it stays contained in those few streets. If they get into the City itself...it took years to get Liverpool better again...all that work ruined in a few hours.

Ashes

Banned
Tommorrow's Metro:

" Blackberry has last night said that it would do all it could to help the police after anarchy in London was organised using its messenger service. Messages were sent yesterday arranging more trouble across the city. One, thought to have been widely circulated, urged people to meet in central London. It read: 'Everyone from all sides of London meet up at the heart of London (central) OXFORD CIRCUS!!, Bare SHOPS are gonna get smashed up so come get some (free stuff!!!). It added: 'if you see a brother... SALUT! if you see a fed...
SHOOT!' "

Smeghead

Chinner said:
how so? they're hugely outnumbered and they have regulations holding them back, either way nobody has been killed so far.

army will probably be called in at some point.

If they cracked down hard when it started i don't think it would have spread so easily.

A major reason why people are doing it without thinking is because they don't have an ounce of respect for the police, and they know they won't get immediate repercussion as the police just stand about.

It's not entirely the polices fault, it's just a case of once again England is never prepared.

Zomba13 said:
Instead of whining about how shitty Londoners are and how spineless they are why don't you go down there and show how much of a man you are and beat up some rioters?

You're not going to do that are you? So shut the fuck up then. All of your posts are just bitching to other posters about not doing anything when neither are you.

Daaawwwww did what I say to you the other day bother you so much huh?

Bitterness, bad for the spirit.

anonnumber6 said:
It seems like a few hundred youths, I wouldn't call it a national crisis.
I would like to retract my earlier comment, I was wrong it is a much bigger problem than I thought.

Police were too soft and now it has escalated.

0111: BBC News producer Bill Hayton in Canning Town, east London, says about 25 people armed with hammers descended on a McDonalds restaurant. He says they took food and stole money from the tills, but nobody appeared to have been hurt.
smh

Meus Renaissance said:
Sorry, but aren't you now bringing race into it now? Why should I have a different view for black youths? Do they have issues? Yes, but nothing that can justify or explain any of this, and frankly any mentioning of those 'issues' now will be seen as apologetics and naivety - like some of those community leaders banging about Duggan because they only see victims. There are some people on this Earth without even food or water who show more dignity and character, who beg to be taken to school for example. Fuck them. The sooner they realise the biggest issue they have is in the mirror the sooner they make a life for themselves that isn't on an estate council or in the shadow of a police van

Yeap, race was an issue in this whole affair from the beginning unfortunately, and I got a strong sense of it from your initial post. I was just saying my status and my position so you can get an understanding of where I am coming from.

I generally don't think if you're a race, then you should or shouldn't agree with a certain point by default, but sometimes you can understand a situation a bit better. I don't know about you but I get incredibly pissed off at times when going to work or coming from gym or whatever, I'm S&S. But that's about S&S, and not the situation in hand, so I guess we can agree to disagree.

Souldriver said:
I was thinking about that. Where's the evidence of this being loot, unless he commented on this picture? Obviously it is loot, but you need hard evidence to prosecute someone.
It has been posted many times and it is supposedly not loot from the riots.

no angel

The Incarnation said:

You're fine calling people benefits scroungers and scum yet you expect others to defend you?

Our growing softness, our increasing lack of physical fitness, is a menace to our security.
John F. Kennedy

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
Thomas Jefferson

True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

History has demonstrated enough times that it's never a good idea to leave your security to others.

Yeah, theyre paid To do it. Same way I don't call people lazy when they expect a waiter to bring them their food instead of walking to the kitchen and getting it themselves. What you're suggesting is mob law and vigilante justice, and it's bullshit. So shut up.

snap0212 said:
What the fuck?!

That's just disgusting. Oh god I hope the investigations will be endless and thorough to get all those shitheads that are actively organizing these riots arrested and imprisoned.

Mr. Sam

The Incarnation said:

John F. Kennedy

Thomas Jefferson

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks for the post full of putting words in my mouth and sweeping generalisations.

A trip to wikiquotes has not made your lusting for widespread brutality any less absurd.

KennyLinder said:
5000 police on duty for royal wedding, only 1400 tonight.

I'm sure they police force would be a little bit more organized if they knew the exact time and location of the riots.

Come on now.

Smeghead said:
If they cracked down hard when it started i don't think it would have spread so easily.

A major reason why people are doing it without thinking is because they don't have an ounce of respect for the police, and they know they won't get immediate repercussion as the police just stand about.

It's not entirely the polices fault, it's just a case of once again England is never prepared.

No, you're exactly right. When the police stood by and didn't initiate any force they basically painted themselves as a bunch of push overs. They have absolutely no reason to respect or fear the police.

Chinner

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
Thanks for the post full of putting words in my mouth and sweeping generalisations.

A trip to wikiquotes has not made your lusting for widespread brutality any less absurd.
but it makes him so clever!

legend166

Anyone know if anything has happened in Clapham North? That's where my cousin lives.

I was there a couple of months ago, and it looked pretty horrible without rioting. I shudder to think what it would look like after it.

Wes

venison crêpe
KennyLinder said:
5000 police on duty for royal wedding, only 1400 tonight.

Preperation.

Plus there's a difference between riot trained police and general borough police (stolen from Sky expert guy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom