• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Police in Liverpool should think ahead of the game and wait it out in Footlocker. The whole horde of dickheads will come looking for a new pair of trainees only to be greeted by a team of attack dogs and riot police. Fuck trying to stop them, you know where they're headed.

kaizoku said:
if the police started fighting back it would be worse tomorrow.

Doubtful. The second you start cracking heads is the second that 90% of them run home and hide. The 10% that comes back tomorrow will be easier to arrest.

Of course you'd probably only want them to fight back if the thugs were burning and looting your street instead of someone else's.

SmokyDave

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I assume they can have more open Rules of Engagement. That said have they been using tear gas and rubber bullets a lot? They could also start doing more arrests and issuing serious charges and not stuff that will get dismissed or reduced in short time. That said I've been following this whole thing very sparingly, so I'm not up on all the details.
If the police start 'fighting' the rioters, they'll lose. They're heavily outnumbered and these feral scum are better armed and know the area better (as far as alleys, climbable roofs and vantage points go).

Keyser Soze said:
Yeah, its terrible. I was just thinking current term (possible delays of upcoming games). However, totally ruining work on upcoming technology is worse.

If the Met can't guarantee that a new factory will still be standing, I very much doubt that the lab we be rebuilt. They will move it to Salzburg along with the 20-30 super high paid engineers who work there. :(

Arnie said:
Police in Liverpool should think ahead of the game and wait it out in Footlocker. The whole horde of dickheads will come looking for a new pair of trainees only to be greeted by a team of attack dogs and riot police. Fuck trying to stop them, you know where they're headed.

That's actually not a bad idea Arnie lad. Get on the phone to 'em!

Sennorin said:
There´d probably hundreds of dead people.

Absolutely not. If you make an example out of stupidity, the rest of the morons will fall in line. Not to mention that in a major incident, our National Guard will be called in. Good luck trying to fight against military forces.

SmokyDave said:
If the police start 'fighting' the rioters, they'll lose. They're heavily outnumbered and these feral scum are better armed and know the area better.
How are the cops not better armed than the rioters? I agree on area, but I think force and command of the air for surveillance is a huge plus for the cops.

This was rich
Guardian said:
Activity seems to have petered out and it is believed four looters have been rescued by firefighters from PC World.

One was trapped underneath the steel shutters with others inside the store.

kharma45

Not often, but a rather intelligent and simple comment I saw on YouTube.

Why would you burn down your own city? It's like being in a fight with someone, but then, punching yourself instead

I have to wonder how different this would be in the United States, mostly due to civilians being more armed. This is both sides of course, some rioters (I would suspect not in large numbers), but also people defending property, like Korean-Americans during the LA Riots.
I'd rather not get into this discussion because (1) gun rights debates and (2) comparisons between countries always end in shitfests, but my guess would be more wounded and death, but not necessarily less rioting/looting. A false sense of security as a gun owner, but more likely to get hurt anyway.

Zomba13

The Incarnation said:
Please, people are scared to make eye contact down there. *lol*
Instead of whining about how shitty Londoners are and how spineless they are why don't you go down there and show how much of a man you are and beat up some rioters?

You're not going to do that are you? So shut the fuck up then. All of your posts are just bitching to other posters about not doing anything when neither are you.

SmokyDave said:
If the police start 'fighting' the rioters, they'll lose. They're heavily outnumbered and these feral scum are better armed and know the area better (as far as alleys, climbable roofs and vantage points go).
Do we have some numbers? I hear there are around 1.400 police officers on the streets. How many rioters are there then? 5.000? 10.000?

THE:MILKMAN

Rain_ng said:
I almost refuse to believe that somebody could be so fucking stupid as to post his Looting wares Pic on Twitter. Unbelievable.

I'm in Leicester and there was a BIG police presence in the town centre a few hours ago.. Hope nothing kicks off here...

The looters breaking into peoples houses stories are making me feel sick... and now its kicking off in Liverpool?? Fuck this.

Don't worry.(yet) Leicester police have dispatched a large amount of officer's in the city centre.

http://twitter.com/#!/leicspolice

I think all big city's will be doing the same.

The Incarnation said:
Yeah because I said that. Why bother reading at all when 90% of what you say comes from wild imaginings. Typical behavior from a coward, unable to face the reality in front of him..

Keeping fiddling while London burns.

Lol! Okay dude.

Let us know when you get here okay? Should I look out for Batman logo or what?

ThisWreckage said:
Absolutely not. If you make an example out of stupidity, the rest of the morons will fall in line. Not to mention that in a major incident, our National Guard will be called in. Good luck trying to fight against military forces.

I tend to agree with this. What is the next level in force response in the UK? The only National Guard equivalent I can thing of is the Territorial Army, but you also don't have the same state-federal distinction you would have in the US.

Ronok said:
Anyone around Camden/Chalk Farm/Hampstead able to update me on the goings on in the area? I'm shitting myself here because of the lack of info. >.>

I'm in Chalk Farm but have no news. I'm going to bed now hoping that some cunts don't set the shops beneath my flat on fire.

Wes

venison crêpe
ITV news trainee Ben Schofield has confirmed that disturbances are taking place in Liverpool, in the Toxteth area.

His tweet:
• Yes - Liverpool now burning too. That's my car on fire. #riots http://t.co/Fprk0Zi

Odrion

Banned
Souldriver said:
I'd rather not get into this discussion because (1) gun rights debates and (2) comparisons between countries always end in shitfests, but my guess would be more wounded and death, but not necessarily less rioting/looting. A false sense of security as a gun owner, but more likely to get hurt anyway.
No one wants to die, so there will never be a mass gunfightin' riot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How are the cops not better armed than the rioters? I agree on area, but I think force and command of the air for surveillance is a huge plus for the cops.
Their riot equipment is shit (small roundels and helmets) and for some reason they haven't been authorised to use tear gas and rubber bullets. They can barely defend themselves from a mob.

Sealda

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Near Enfield Island, just found out the Sony warehouse is on fire!!!!! video not mine: http://yfrog.com/mdi5gz

im shitty bricks! no lie!

Shit...

I think we are reaching the limit of what will be accepted soon. Any hour now, it will hit the climax and the police will go in heavy equipped.

It might that it hits a too central area in London
That someone gets killed
That a big police station catches fire
Spreads too wide
etc.

SmokyDave

This was rich
Rioters can grab anything to hand, including petrol bombs. Possibility of firearms, while low, does exist. Mostly it's the numbers though. Copper grabs one, six jump the copper from behind, it's over for the copper.

Zomba13

The English Conquistador said:
Lol! Okay dude.

Let us know when you get here okay? Should I look out for Batman logo or what?
If I didn't know any better I'd say he was tag fishing for an internet tough guy related tag. Either that or purposefully stirring up shit to annoy people.

Mecha_Infantry said:
This is why I can't see your point. I don't want to sound like I'm damning you, but as a black male from London, I don't think I can ever condone what you said

You did confuse me though!

Sorry, but aren't you now bringing race into it now? Why should I have a different view for black youths? Do they have issues? Yes, but nothing that can justify or explain any of this, and frankly any mentioning of those 'issues' now will be seen as apologetics and naivety - like some of those community leaders banging about Duggan because they only see victims. There are some people on this Earth without even food or water who show more dignity and character, who beg to be taken to school for example. Fuck them. The sooner they realise the biggest issue they have is in the mirror the sooner they make a life for themselves that isn't on an estate council or in the shadow of a police van

Mecha_Infantry said:
It's like Trident, where the fuck is trident for any other race who commit gun crimes?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html

tehbible said:
HOW TO PROPERLY DEFEND YOUR HOME AND/OR BUSINESS

Learn from S. Koreans during the L.A Riots :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsKGhLdZuQ&t=01m35s
Funny I posted something about that on the other page. Well a pic from an article.

58852252.jpg

Funky Papa said:
Their riot equipment is shit (small roundels and helmets) and for some reason they haven't been authorised to use tear gas and rubber bullets. They can barely defend themselves from a mob.
They haven't been allowed to use tear gas or rubber bullets yet? That seems like a big mistake. The Stanley Cup tactics (which did help work, though it did sacrifice businesses for a encircling and snuff out the riot) don't seem applicable and there seems no reason not to be armed (hell the cops in the Stanley Cup riots were heavily armed).

Mush

Lakitu said:
It's 1:10am here, this shit is keeping me up.
Stay safe man.

That goes for the rest of UK-GAF too. Obviously no one needs to tell you this but just don't do anything stupid and stay out of harms way.

Mark Stone repping the mic on Sky News, giving his first hand accounts.

In all seriousness, though, Sky have the bet coverage at the moment imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom