• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khal_B

equap said:
fCAVv.jpg

this makes me angry!

They are destroying people's lives through and through and the police refuse to even use tear gas?

Can someone please tell me why this is? Is there a law against it or something?

Clegg

Ubermatik said:
Pardon my ignorance, but why the 12th...?
It goes back to 1691 when Protestants in the city of Derry barred their Catholic king of Britain from entering the City. It was seen as a turning point in a civil war which eventually led to a new Protestant King in Britain.

Every year on 12th of August Protestant Groups called the Apprentice Boys march in mmory of the victory.

This in itself wouldnt be a problem except you have Extremist Protestants in this group and extremist Catholics against them just itching to start trouble.

3000 people in Northern Ireland and the Republic have died due to terrorism from both sides in the last 50 years due to this.

Religion is very serious business in Ireland

Edit: What Kharma said

THE:MILKMAN said:
Oh god. The bbc tweeter feed is saying that a man has been dragged out of a car and set alight:(

Edit: bbc live text feed

Wtf.

Seriously wtf.

Cameron get the God damn Army out there and let the pain be dealt.

SmokyDave

We're going to have a body count by the morning. If people start to die before the police act then we really need a re-think on how our society works.

THE:MILKMAN said:
Oh god. The bbc tweeter feed is saying that a man has been dragged out of a car and set alight:(

Edit: bbc live text feed

God damn it. Seriously WTF! How the hell can a government not be able to stop these riots?

FOOTE

Meus Renaissance said:
The car was set alight. You scared the crap out of me; it read that the man himself was set alight
That's what I thought too, thanks for setting that straight.

Khal_B said:
They are destroying people's lives through and through and the police refuse to even use tear gas?

Can someone please tell me why this is? Is there a law against it or something?

I think they don't have enough properly trained police out on the streets to use tear gas/ rubber bullets etc.

This is the only reason I can see why they aren't coming down hard on these assholes.

Clegg said:
It goes back to 1691 when Protestants in the city of Derry barred their Catholic king of Britain from entering the City. It was seen as a turning point in a civil war which eventually led to a new Protestant King in Britain.

Every year on 12th of August Protestant Groups called the Apprentice Boys march in mmory of the victory.

This in itself wouldnt be a problem except you have Extremist Protestants in this group and extremist Catholics against them just itching to start trouble.

3000 people in Northern Ireland and the Republic have died due to terrorism from both sides in the last 50 years due to this.

Religion is very serious business in Ireland

Funny thing is there are 21 Jews (or some really absurdly low number) in Northern Ireland, I saw it in some Stat book once. I cannot even imagine how awkward shit must be for them. Then again for all know they put chairs on the roof and have some popcorn during these things.

no angel said:
Sorry, I'm off to bed now so I won't be able to provide you with your evidence, but what you're suggesting is irresponsible and dangerous. Not only are the police and army better trained for situations like this, they're also better protected. You hit a looters face too hard and you'll be the one with a criminal record or worse despite you're good intentions.

What part of non-violent protest don't you understand? Where does hitting people even come into.

If I end up walking down town and I see hundred people blocking my way, I probably wouldn't want to risk it you know.

Now unless the bad people of London outnumber the good people of London I don't see the problem in doing this. Yes there is risk, but peace is worth it right?. Your common street trash isn't going to like being the focus of protests themselves..

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nottingham City Centre cordoned off by police.

So at the moment it's London, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol and Nottingham :/

Wes

venison crêpe
bud said:
what's going on in this video? i don't have facebook (i know...).

Crowd surrounding a guy who is bleeding from the mouth who is sitting down on the pavement on a bridge going over a railway bridge. One of the crowd helps him up. Another opens the backpack of the injured guy and just takes stuff from it.

bud said:
Looks like a guy is injured, he is bleeding from the nose, and a gang surround him, pick him up as though they're helping him, and two guys from behind open his bag and steal his belongings, then the gang walks off

SmokyDave said:
We're going to have a body count by the morning. If people start to die before the police act then we really need a re-think on how our society works.

This is the night softly softly policing died. If Cameron and May don't announce a new zero tolerance approach to policing along with new jails I can't see myself voting for them in 2015. They have failed in their duty to protect the people of the this country so far.

bud said:
Guy apparently gets hits from rioters and is bleeding on the ground and confused. Some rioters appear to be helping him up, but instead they're looking in his bag for stuff to steal. One guy takes some stuff out, throws half of it on the ground, and walks away with a attitude like he's the man.

Utterly vile.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
bud said:
Kid, looks like he's bleeding out of his nose on the floor people passing by stand him up and then start looting his bag while he stands there.

Andrefpvs

UuWS6.jpg

Well at least someone won't go down easil...

The police are failing to penetrate the rioters' area of action so...

Ah fuck it, I don't have a punchline for this.

bud said:

What looks to be an asian guy sitting on the road with blood pouring from his face. Loads of hooded youths around him attempt to help him up (unclear whether it's the same people who beat him up), only to check through his bag, steal his stuff, and then walk away. Fucking cunts.

Edit - beaten many times.

Red UFO

DECK'ARD said:
Nottingham City Centre cordoned off by police.

So at the moment it's London, Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol and Nottingham :/

Really hope it doesn't get to Leeds (where I am).

How the fuck did this spiral out of control so badly?!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
bud said:
Some poor dude is bleeding on the floor when some rioters pick him up as if they were trying to help. As soon as he stands up, some fucker opens his backpack and pilfers him while he's trying to make sense of what's going on. He is just utterly helpless and confused.

Polari

Andrefpvs said:
UuWS6.jpg

Well at least someone won't go down easil...

The police are failing to penetrate the rioters' area of action so...

Ah fuck it, I don't have a punchline for this.

Remember to wear sensible shoes when looting, people.

Just made it back home in Handsworth. Its a fucking mess, half the roads covered in glass and rubbish. Cars literally upside down in the middle of the road, windows smashed all on the road next to mine.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Red UFO said:
Really hope it doesn't get to Leeds (where I am).

How the fuck did this spiral out of control so badly?!

Looters called the police's bluff, and won.

Media reports it, more people try it.

leadbelly

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
I think they don't have enough properly trained police out on the streets to use tear gas/ rubber bullets etc.

This is the only reason I can see why they aren't coming down hard on these assholes.

A lot of these rioters are just kids. Using that kind of force will inevitably lead to a kid dying which would escalate the situation even further. The police can't really win in this sort of situation. They have come into enough criticism in the past for using excessive force.

kharma45

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Funny thing is there are 21 Jews (or some really absurdly low number) in Northern Ireland, I saw it in some Stat book once. I cannot even imagine how awkward shit must be for them. Then again for all know they put chairs on the roof and have some popcorn during these things.

Yeah there is a ridiculously low number here, "In 1967, the population was estimated at 1,350; by 2004 this number had fallen to 130. It is now estimated to be around 500, but could be as low as 100. The current membership of the Belfast Hebrew Congregation is believed to be as low as 80."

Our school had every religious domination at it bar one, and I think Judaism may have been it.

kyo_daikun said:

You only need one tear gas guy per group of cops. As one who went to his fair share of anti-globalization rallies, I can tell that tear gas is incredibly easy to deploy. I've had it used on me numerous times. :)

(and yes, I totally deserved it every time)

shuri

Banned
England will be known as a nation of political pussies who crumbled under the weight of political correctness and young jobless thugs with daddy issues if they don't start cracking skulls! I can't believe they torched that old building.. For fucks sake..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom