• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

Jhriad

SnowblindTina said:
LOL -

Well, unfortunately since WoW is a license owned by Blizzard and EQ is a license owned by Sony (and we are a WB Studio), I don't see that happening in the near future...

That said... We are thrilled you're having a good time! :D

I think we'd all be happy with similar gameplay in a new IP. :)

(Please?)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have a basic question since I've just played solo so far: A couple friends are getting this next week, can I transfer my character over to a new game with them or do I have to start completely from scratch?

Jhriad

AstroLad said:
Have a basic question since I've just played solo so far: A couple friends are getting this next week, can I transfer my character over to a new game with them or do I have to start completely from scratch?

Seventy said on the last page that you could take your own character into online games but I don't have any experience with the online play yet so I can't confirm.

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
AstroLad said:

Couple of Caveats
1) You'd have to all be on the same console? (i.e. one can't be on 360 and another on Steam).
2) You'll bring your character (and gear, items, level) into their hosted game but you'll need to play through the areas you've already progressed through. It's similar to an MMO where you, as a level 30 can go back and help your friends in the starting zone, but you wouldn't want them to jump ahead to where you are, as they'll get pummeled incessantly.

Once they progress up to your level all saving will be on for everyone and you'll continue through the story together.

let me know if I can clarify anything. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sorry, yes this is actually in reference to XBLA play. I don't mind starting over as long as I can bring my semi-buffed dude with.

Made it to Rivendell, the loot is starting to get much better. Actually have a pair of purple boots that is pretty sweet.

Also found an elf-stone of everlasting that reduces item wear by 3000%. I think I'm going to save it for some awesome weapon/armor when I hit the level cap.

Ken

Last Hearth said:
Made it to Rivendell, the loot is starting to get much better. Actually have a pair of purple boots that is pretty sweet.

Are you on new game plus? I'm at the last stage on my first playthrough and have only gotten one purple equipment, and it was a quest reward.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
soooo. how can i tell when a game is saved? i beat tharzog, watched the cutscene, went back to home base and thought i was OK and then i reload and i'm back at the start of the tharzog fight? grrrr. if i can't save myself there should have been in autosave somewhere in that 20m

(360)

liezryou

Does anyone want to play that is around level 14 start of chapter 4 i think? It's kind of boring solo and none of my friends have this game :/.

LuchaShaq

Banned
A few hours in, bummed the cosmetic changes I make to one character don't stick when I switch to another.

Also how do I know if I should give loot to the other characters if I can't tell what they have equipped? Seems rather ridiculous.

Ken

liezryou said:
Does anyone want to play that is around level 14 start of chapter 4 i think? It's kind of boring solo and none of my friends have this game :/.
What system?

Ken said:
Are you on new game plus? I'm at the last stage on my first playthrough and have only gotten one purple equipment, and it was a quest reward.

It's the sword, right?

To answer your question, no I'm on my first playthrough.

SnowblindTina

LuchaShaq said:
A few hours in, bummed the cosmetic changes I make to one character don't stick when I switch to another.

Also how do I know if I should give loot to the other characters if I can't tell what they have equipped? Seems rather ridiculous.

The thing to keep in mind is that your player inventory is your inventory, and the other character's inventories are their inventories.

For example: If you play in a game with two of your friends, and you give them a sweet piece of armor, they may equip it, they may sell it, or they may look at it, shrug at you and drop it.

The AI behaves the same way. They have their own AI inventory, and that inventory will equip what (statistically by doing the computer-controlled math) is best for them. If you "give" them a sword, that they can't use, they'll drop it. If you give them some gloves that are better than what they have, they'll use them. This is intended to be a less-micromanaged play experience because they'll pretty much handle themselves.

When you start as one character, but switch over to another, you'll be bringing your player inventory with you, and the character you left will now be playing with AI inventory.

Hope that makes sense.
If not, I'll try to answer any questions.

Yup, the AI characters are not your characters. If you want to give something to another one of your characters, keep the item in your inventory, load up the game and switch to the that character, equip on that character from inventory, save, quit, reload up as your original character. Now if you ever switch to the other character they will have that equipment.

SnowblindTina

AstroLad said:
soooo. how can i tell when a game is saved? i beat tharzog, watched the cutscene, went back to home base and thought i was OK and then i reload and i'm back at the start of the tharzog fight? grrrr. if i can't save myself there should have been in autosave somewhere in that 20m

(360)
We have seen a similar issue reported in our game forums, and it appears that there may be an issue with the save point directly after Tharzog (If you exit when you are returned to Bree).

We're looking into it on our side, but from other users, it seems that if you play the next section through to completion that the next save does work correctly.

We'll let users know once we reproduce in house and figure out the root cause.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The stuttering on the PC version is completely maddening.

The game is fun though, enjoying it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
SnowblindTina said:
We have seen a similar issue reported in our game forums, and it appears that there may be an issue with the save point directly after Tharzog (If you exit when you are returned to Bree).

We're looking into it on our side, but from other users, it seems that if you play the next section through to completion that the next save does work correctly.

We'll let users know once we reproduce in house and figure out the root cause.
Ah ok, that must have been it then. I'll just wait and make sure I get the save thingie from now on. It would be nice to be able to save manually from the store or whatever but ah well.

Just finished my first play through, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Are there any new looks I can hope to see popping up in later playthroughs, or am I just chasing newer and bigger numbers at that point?

I'm definitely going to go through it another round at least- I haven't even tried out the human yet!

Sinatar said:

There is no stuttering in mine, except right when I load it up. But after a few seconds, it disappears.

Guess it's your hardware.

Heavy said:
Ricker: No, you have to complete all the waves to keep the XP.

Dr. Acid: Nothing, just get to keep the XP.

If I am about to die in one of the maps, I just leave the area and it lets me keep all of my XP.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Sinatar said:

AMD card? I have 560ti .. not stuttering everything is at max. I use to have horrible stuttering issues with dual 6850s.

LuchaShaq

Banned
SnowblindTina said:
The thing to keep in mind is that your player inventory is your inventory, and the other character's inventories are their inventories.

For example: If you play in a game with two of your friends, and you give them a sweet piece of armor, they may equip it, they may sell it, or they may look at it, shrug at you and drop it.

The AI behaves the same way. They have their own AI inventory, and that inventory will equip what (statistically by doing the computer-controlled math) is best for them. If you "give" them a sword, that they can't use, they'll drop it. If you give them some gloves that are better than what they have, they'll use them. This is intended to be a less-micromanaged play experience because they'll pretty much handle themselves.

When you start as one character, but switch over to another, you'll be bringing your player inventory with you, and the character you left will now be playing with AI inventory.

Hope that makes sense.
If not, I'll try to answer any questions.

Honestly think it would have been much simpler to just let the player see what their ai partners are wearing so I don't have to sit there and try to remember if I had given them loot for that slot and if it was any good. Current system just ends up with me avoiding looking at the equipment screen because I don't want to have to start guessing again.

It's very cool that when going through the snowy parts when I look at my character in the stats screen his armor is covered in ice and snow.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Mana Legend said:
There is no stuttering in mine, except right when I load it up. But after a few seconds, it disappears.

Guess it's your hardware.

It's (yet another) ATI issue.

Ken

Just finished the game solo at level 21 as Eradan. Probably took around 10 hours to complete. Probably won't jump into a new game plus right now since I'm busy with other things, but I am planning to run through a new game with a friend in local co-op.

I really liked the combat in this game. Starting out, it seems a little simple: mash X until you get a stagger and finish with Y. However, enemies do get tougher and start carrying shields and armor that make it harder to stagger them. Also, the dodge is essential to surviving some of the hard-hitting enemies who can knock you back and take out a huge chunk of life. If I had to compare the combat system to another game, it feels most similar to Batman: Arkham Aslyum which is a good thing since I enjoyed AA's combat. The combo system is neat. Higher combos net you higher damage bonuses, and the feedback from the controller vibration on the 360 really helped emphasize your increasing damage.

There are times when the combat did feel a little clunky. Your allies are prone to get caught in between you and the enemy, which is just enough distance for you to miss all your melee attacks. Later in the game, I started encountering enemies who I could apparently walk right through, which makes attacking awkward when after two or three hits I would emerge from the other side of them and start missing my attacks. I'd then have to take a few seconds and re-orient myself. Another problem I had was with enemies that spawn from the ground. You can attack them while they are spawning and see damage numbers, but once they are completely spawned they will teleport a few feet behind you. Luckily, I only encountered this on one level. Finally, there are turret sequences in the game. Most of them go on for way too long, and there are quite a few of them. Not enough to ruin the entire experience, but I do wish there were one or two less and that they were each 1/3 shorter in length.

As for enemy variety, it's alright. You'll be fighting orcs, goblins, spiders, and evil men, each requiring somewhat different strategies to take down. Lowly goblins can be dropped with simple combos, but duel-wielding men will try to catch you in a combo and if they are blocked, will try to get around behind you. Each enemy's attack patterns does get a little predictable though, but it stays varied enough to be enjoyable. The game also loves to throw hordes of enemies at you constantly, and although I did enjoy the many opportunities to slash and decapitate enemies, it might get a little tiring for others.

In one play-through, I'm not too sure how I feel about the loot. It's very satisfying seeing loot fly out of a troll, but not so when you see that your equipment from 3 chapters ago is still better. I bought an armor set from Rivendell early on and stuck with it through the entire game. Hopefully I'll be able to net some better armor in new game plus. The loot in this game also does change the way your character looks; it's cool to see the progression from dingy leather armor in the beginning of the game to elaborately designed iron hauberks towards the end of the game. I do wish there were more variety in appearances though; maybe I haven't gotten enough loot yet but most of the same-tiered armor look very similar to each other.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time in the War in the North. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun hack-and-slash loot game to play.

Just picked the game up, pretty fun so far.
I have one question, though (skimmed the thread for an answer to no avail). I'm playing it singleplayer, so how does leveling work for my AI partners? Do I have to allocate the skill points by switching to them or do they have their own auto-leveling thing to go along with their AI inventory thing?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Revolutionary said:
Just picked the game up, pretty fun so far.
I have one question, though (skimmed the thread for an answer to no avail). I'm playing it singleplayer, so how does leveling work for my AI partners? Do I have to allocate the skill points by switching to them or do they have their own auto-leveling thing to go along with their AI inventory thing?
auto-leveling if you switch to them you can re-allocate. the AI partners are weak as hell and rather useless but i think that's fair.

hey if anyone is fairly new and wants to play through some stuff if you see me on: astrothelad on xbl. L11 been playing as the dwarf guy

Xevren

I started my 2nd playthrough and everything was fine until I hit the first enemy mages. Scaling with them is supremely fucked, they will either 1 shot you or damn near one shot you. Hoping maybe it was a problem with just that one place.

Ken

AstroLad said:
auto-leveling if you switch to them you can re-allocate. the AI partners are weak as hell and rather useless but i think that's fair.

After a certain level your AI partners become really helpful; Andriel with her heal bubble and the Dwarf with his explosive arrows.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ken said:
After a certain level your AI partners become really helpful; Andriel with her heal bubble and the Dwarf with his explosive arrows.
Yes I do quite like heal bubble but when I look at the stats and what my AI partners are up to I can't help but think a human would be way better. Which, again, is fair . . . just waiting for my friends to get their copies.

More I play the more I like. Really hope Snowblind (WB Seattle?) is able to make another great ARPG after the whole WB upheaval.

Seventy5

SnowblindTina said:
LOL -

Well, unfortunately since WoW is a license owned by Blizzard and EQ is a license owned by Sony (and we are a WB Studio), I don't see that happening in the near future...

That said... We are thrilled you're having a good time! :D
Well I know, but that would be my dream game...even if it was a remake of CoN with third person *swoon*.

I switched my character from the elf to the ranger and it's totally different. Really digging this game. There are plenty of sword fodder enemies, but the fights are challenging. Definitely recommending this to my RPG playing friends. Too bad it's pretty tied to the LotR lore so much, because I would definitely splurge on DLC for new classes.

Seventy5

AstroLad said:
Your character goes into your friends game just as he/she is in your single player game. If you play the ranger and that's already chosen in the game you join, you get your game's version of whichever character you select. If you haven't played, say, the dwarf at all in SP, he will still be the level of your main and you can assign the attribute & skill points when you start in co-op. None of the Dungeon Siege 3 crap here :)

Ken

AstroLad said:
Yes I do quite like heal bubble but when I look at the stats and what my AI partners are up to I can't help but think a human would be way better. Which, again, is fair . . . just waiting for my friends to get their copies.

More I play the more I like. Really hope Snowblind (WB Seattle?) is able to make another great ARPG after the whole WB upheaval.

Yeah, human players will almost always be better than the AI, but the AI players are decent.

Seventy5 said:
Definitely recommending this to my RPG playing friends. Too bad it's pretty tied to the LotR lore so much, because I would definitely splurge on DLC for new classes.

Well, they could introduce new characters each having a new set of skills. Not sure how that'd work with the cutscenes though.

Wouldn't mind seeing something like a male Elf who can be a hunter and warden (my LotRO character is a hunter).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So does respec work like: If you have never played a character you get a full respec. But then when you go back to your first, you can respec whatever was gained in the time you left? And I guess you have to be careful not to leave your nice stuff on characters before you leave because they might sell them? Do they retain their mirror customizations?

AstroLad said:
So does respec work like: If you have never played a character you get a full respec. But then when you go back to your first, you can respec whatever was gained in the time you left? And I guess you have to be careful not to leave your nice stuff on characters before you leave because they might sell them? Do they retain their mirror customizations?
Respec coin allows you to redo your stats and skill point allocation and cost 16,000.

As for other characters, basically think of it this way. You have your characters and when you play you pick one of those 3. The other 2 characters are the CPUs (or friend's if you are doing co-op). They have their own set of equipment / items. The CPU will level up with you and level up how they see fit. When you switch another character you keep all the same experience, cash, items and equipment (except whatever was equip on your previous character). If you have leveled up before playing a different character, you can spend your points as you see fit after switching to them. Whatever stuff is equip on a character will stay there for when you go back to using them.

Ex: You play with the Champion for 10 levels then switch to the Ranger. You will have 27 stat points and 9 skill points to allocate. If you level up with him once and then go back to your Champion you will have 3 stat points and 1 skill point to allocate with him.

Whatever look customizations you do should also stay when you switch characters, but because your CPU partners are unique it shouldn't change how they look.

Is there any way I can buy and play the PC version now if I'm in the UK? I just played through the Onlive trial and I don't want to wait until the 25th :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Probably in the manual somewhere but what's the cost of dying? Do you just lose all the stuff you picked up since the last save point? Including XP?

The Mana Legend said:
If I am about to die in one of the maps, I just leave the area and it lets me keep all of my XP.
I double checked on this and found you do not keep the XP unless you complete all 18 waves.

AstroLad said:
Probably in the manual somewhere but what's the cost of dying? Do you just lose all the stuff you picked up since the last save point? Including XP?
Nothing really, you just go back to the last time it saved. It saves regularly...the little spinning circle that shows up near your character is when it saves.

Speaking of saving, a quick way to save when you're in a town and have been messing around with your equip or whatever and just wanna save... go to a vendor or blacksmith and go to either the buy or sell screen (to when you see the items), then exit and it will save.

FredFish

Got this in Friday's mail and it basically consumed my weekend. Just reached Rivendell on my NG+ at level 27. Went with the Lore Master since I preferred the Elf in Dark Alliance and have no regrets about the choice. My only complaint is that I wish she'd been given a seperate pouch to store her "gathered" crafting components. Non-gear inventory is often at a premium and she gets penalized for her unique ability in that regard. Combat has a nice level of depth and challenge that makes encounters pretty rewarding. If you just rush in and mindlessly button mash you'll probably die quickly...and die again after you're revived...and then find the game restarting from the last checkpoint because everyone died. Tactics and situational awareness are needed. First thing I do is bubble up and look to snipe any mages (on Heroic difficulty they are REALLY nasty). Once those are dealt with I'll sprint over to the dorf, who's probably being swarmed because of War Cry, lay down a Word of Command to soften up the mobs (and set them on fire...upgrades are nice :p) and start working on the combo meter to Crit something. With dual-wield she is very quick to get that inverse yellow arrow to appear on her target, even trolls and orc chieftans. If I'm being hard pressed I'll bubble up again (this time for the healing instead of the range attack shield) and liberally roll while striking with melee and pumping out Word of Command and Smite whenever they're available.

Well...that's a bit of a gush but I've really enjoyed the game. It's not perfect but its strengths far outweigh the flaws and glitches I've found. Shame this got released when it did, hopefully word-of-mouth eventually gains it the audience it deserves

I just finished my normal playthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Question: do the quest rewards in higher difficulties give upgraded rewards or do they give the exact same thing? The rewards were pretty nice for normal but for heroic/legendary if they don't upgrade they'll be outclassed by just about everything in stores and chests.

Also, I never did find the beryls for the gem sidequest or the mithril for the mithril sidequest? How did I miss them, or do they require a certain other class (I was the ranger).

Top Bottom