• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North |OT| Not just another LotR game

FredFish

Last Hearth said:
I just finished my normal playthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Question: do the quest rewards in higher difficulties give upgraded rewards or do they give the exact same thing? The rewards were pretty nice for normal but for heroic/legendary if they don't upgrade they'll be outclassed by just about everything in stores and chests.

Also, I never did find the beryls for the gem sidequest or the mithril for the mithril sidequest? How did I miss them, or do they require a certain other class (I was the ranger).

Yes the "pick a reward" quest stuff scales to your current level so even Otto's reward in Bree for selling him weapons was decent on NG+. I had better on me but it wasn't pathetic by any means. Funnily enough I had to wait a level to be able to use the item I choose for bringing Athelas back to Sarn's Ford as I was just shy of the Strength needed to wield it. On a related note Andriel has been crafting some exotic potions like Quickness this time round though I can't say if that's because new plants are available on Heroic or because she's simply higher level. As for the Beryls I didn't find any on my first playthrough so I suspect they only show up on Heroic or Legendary (I didn't find any Mithril for Arwen either on "Normal")

Xevren

I think for the mithril you have to be playing as the dwarf and break down a wall in mirkwood to find it.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit, it has it's flaws but it's still fun. I'm towards the end of the 2nd playthrough and I've been playing as the ranger.

Last Hearth said:
I smashed every barrel and crate I found, found plenty of gems but no beryls.
All the Beryls are in Ettenmoors...destroy all breakables, loot all the loot piles, kill all enemies, you'll find em. The mountain honey is a big wood log on the ground that has a bee hive in it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Last Hearth said:
I just finished my normal playthrough and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Question: do the quest rewards in higher difficulties give upgraded rewards or do they give the exact same thing? The rewards were pretty nice for normal but for heroic/legendary if they don't upgrade they'll be outclassed by just about everything in stores and chests.

Also, I never did find the beryls for the gem sidequest or the mithril for the mithril sidequest? How did I miss them, or do they require a certain other class (I was the ranger).
did you totally solo it?

Mest30

Banned
What's the average time it takes to beat the game? I saw someone did it in 10 hours. Also, what is new game plus?

nyong

Banned
Ok, WTF.

Just beat the game on normal. Boss drops loot, cut scene ensues, BUT THERE IS NO WAY TO GO BACK AND PICK UP THE LOOT!! The game just ends with the shinies taunting you on the ground!

I also really hate how you can't equip your allies in an inventory screen. Does anyone know if the weapons/armor you give them even do anything stat-wise?

Fun game, though. First playthrough was the dwarf. Next up: Mage.

Ken

Mest30 said:
What's the average time it takes to beat the game? I saw someone did it in 10 hours. Also, what is new game plus?

10~15 seems to be the average.

New game plus is restarting the game with all your skills, progress, and loot on a higher difficulty but with better loot.

Mest30

Banned
Ken said:
10~15 seems to be the average.

New game plus is restarting the game with all your skills, progress, and loot on a higher difficulty but with better loot.

Thanks for the info. Ten hours seems kinda short for this type of game. Is there a lot of exploration?

nyong

Banned
Mest30 said:
Thanks for the info. Ten hours seems kinda short for this type of game. Is there a lot of exploration?
Almost no exploration. It's extremely linear. Also: I beat the game in about 8 hours.

It's deeply flawed but a hell of a lot of a fun to play. It won't have the lasting appeal of something like Titan Quest or Diablo, though.

Mest30

Banned
nyong said:
Almost no exploration. It's extremely linear. Also: I beat the game in about 8 hours.

It's deeply flawed but a hell of a lot of a fun to play. It won't have the lasting appeal of something like Titan Quest or Diablo, though.

Looks like I'll save my 60 bucks for assassins creed and buy this when its in the bargain bin. Thanks. I don't know why I was thinking this was a 20-30 hour campaign with lots of exploration.

There are places when you can branch off to fight optional enemies, but it's more like branches in a tunnel rather than truly free exploration.

Mest30 said:
No idea how people beat it in 8-10... I'm assuming they skipped past all the dialogue and only chose the default answers to make the dialogue shorter. I talked to every NPC, read every line, and expanded every dialogue tree that I could. Also farmed a bit for better loot (like doing a couple areas 2-3 times). Took me 20-22 hours.

Of course if you don't care about the dialogue, skip some side quests, you could probably beat it in half that time. I finished normal diff at like level 26 I think. The loot hooked me in and never let go lol... I'm currently on legendary difficulty at level 37 with 35+ hours played.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Heavy said:
No idea how people beat it in 8-10... I'm assuming they skipped past all the dialogue and only chose the default answers to make the dialogue shorter. I talked to every NPC, read every line, and expanded every dialogue tree that I could. Also farmed a bit for better loot (like doing a couple areas 2-3 times). Took me 20-22 hours.

Of course if you don't care about the dialogue, skip some side quests, you could probably beat it in half that time. I finished normal diff at like level 26 I think. The loot hooked me in and never let go lol... I'm currently on legendary difficulty at level 37 with 35+ hours played.

This game has some of the most painful laborious dialogue I've ever encountered, I skipped it all and beat the game in approx 10-11 hours. Did all the quests we could find.

Won't do a hard run till they fix the stuttering on PC.

SnowblindTina said:
Really glad to hear that, that whole situation sucks.

Please tell them the PS3 version needs a patch to get rid of the permanently stuck splitscreen co-op pop up text, and we need the ability to have two people on the same console use two different Y axis controls!

AwRy108 said:
Actually, the gameplay was significantly better.
RTA had less exploring iirc, but it also had the Iksar Shaman. :p

SnowblindTina

LotR: War in the North Community Manager
BoltzmannBrain said:
Does anyone know if the PAL version of Justice League Heroes works on 360? It is listed here but I wanted to make doubly sure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

(Can't think of a better place to ask, it is another Snowblind game at least!)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure and we don't have any PAL copies in the office for me to test it on. Hopefully someone else can help?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I was disappointment with this game at first, but now I got a ways into it it is show signs of a real snow blind hack and loot. There is just a massive curve in gameplay for the start to the middle.

SnowblindTina

Just because it amused my team and I wanted to share.

Here at Snowblind we are in heavy support of Movember. Pretty much everyone has mustaches (and some of them are pretty terrifying) all in the name of charity, but today I sent out this picture of Eradan.

299574_10150330569885736_351903015735_8211664_1291247026_n.jpg

I just sort of wanted to share...lol.

Aaron

God damn, this is an incredible co-op game. Played like five hours straight with a friend today, and can't wait for the chance to continue. The combat is real meaty and visceral, the loot is sweet with menus that work well in splitscreen. The only thing I'm not crazy about is how it goes full screen when you talk to someone in town, since it stops the other person of doing something else. I admit we're blowing through the story, though it seems pretty good from the bits we actually stopped to listen to.

SnowblindTina

Aaron said:
God damn, this is an incredible co-op game. Played like five hours straight with a friend today, and can't wait for the chance to continue. The combat is real meaty and visceral, the loot is sweet with menus that work well in splitscreen. The only thing I'm not crazy about is how it goes full screen when you talk to someone in town, since it stops the other person of doing something else. I admit we're blowing through the story, though it seems pretty good from the bits we actually stopped to listen to.

One thing I just want to put up there for passersby is that the "take over" when talking to NPC's only occurs on Local Split Screen. If this isn't preferable for you, it behaves independantly on Online or LAN connections, but you'll still need to "ready up" to proceed to the next area.

Edit: And thanks, Aaron, for having an awesome time! :)

I want to get this...I see the OP says "consoles only for now" for splitscreen...is it coming any time soon for PC? And how many players splitscreen do you get, 2 or 3?

SnowblindTina

Pai Pai Master said:
I want to get this...I see the OP says "consoles only for now" for splitscreen...is it coming any time soon for PC? And how many players splitscreen do you get, 2 or 3?

We do not have split screen for PC in the plans. The only reason it says "for now" is because, in game development, we have all experienced a time when a game had a second-life (no pun) on PC and fan-involvement forced additional non-planned support, so I always hesitate to say Never...

Splitscreen on console is two player vertical split, but you can also add a third to your game via online or LAN/systemlink.

Motion blur and ambient occlusion don't seem to be working on the pc version. Toggle them on and off but it doesn't do anything.

And the Eagles are the best damn characters i've seen in a long time, totally badass.

SnowblindTina

fizzelopeguss said:
Motion blur and ambient occlusion don't seem to be working on the pc version. Toggle them on and off but it doesn't do anything.

I want to look into this: Are you on Steam or OnLive? Also, what video card are you using? We've found a range of weird driver issues and are working with both ATI and NVidia to get them resolved.

fizzelopeguss said:
And the Eagles are the best damn characters i've seen in a long time, totally badass.
We love you too, fizzelopeguss!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SnowblindTina said:
I want to look into this: Are you on Steam or OnLive? Also, what video card are you using? We've found a range of weird driver issues and are working with both ATI and NVidia to get them resolved.

I've noticed this as well, running on Steam, Radeon 5870 with the latest drivers.

As to the stuttering, it's caused by the dynamic lightsources (which you can't disable). A great place to see it is in the final area when going through the rust stained hallways. There is some kind of electricity or something that streaks along the roof sending blue light through gaps in the wall, every time this happens for both me and my online coop partner the framerate would dive to sub 1fps levels. Like a frame every 3 or 4 seconds, it was ridiculous.

SnowblindTina said:

Steam, 560 TI, drivers are 285.62 whql. I've had zero stuttering issues so i'm guessing that's an Ati problem.

Depth of field is in certain cutscenes, so i'm guessing that's working correctly (no idea if it's supposed to be in gameplay or not)

You can also tell nvidia that their driver flagged Anti aliasing compatability profile isn't working as well. :p

lunchtoast

So I just found out I'm stuck at Chapter 8 Part 4. When I started playing today at the checkpoint, there's two gates that won't open (they are supposed to) and no way to get past that part. All I can do now is wait for someone in multiplayer near that chapter and beat that part with them.

I've looked online and other's are having the same problem on consoles and PC.

Elginer

Convinced a friend of mine to pick this up and at first he hated it. He was expecting a top down BG: DA type affair and pretty much regretted his purchase.

Today we finally got to play around 3 hours co-op and now he's singing a different tune. We were exchanging loot back in forth and having a blast. Now he loves the game. Really loving it, well done Snowblind. Sad about the layoffs :(

Hopefully WB will let you guys make another hack-and-slash with your own new IP and really let you guys go wild.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Elginer said:
Convinced a friend of mine to pick this up and at first he hated it. He was expecting a top down BG: DA type affair and pretty much regretted his purchase.

Today we finally got to play around 3 hours co-op and now he's singing a different tune. We were exchanging loot back in forth and having a blast. Now he loves the game. Really loving it, well done Snowblind. Sad about the layoffs :(

Hopefully WB will let you guys make another hack-and-slash with your own new IP and really let you guys go wild.
It's actually kind of funny, I feel like the first chapter doesn't really do the game justice. It's the most drab and uninteresting. Wonder if that's part of the reason for some of the reviews. Game seriously picks up in Chapter 2.

Just an FYI, I'm an idiot.

Surprise, I know, but all this time I've been bitching about not being able to have different Y axis settings while in local co-op. Well, last night I decided to log into my PSN account first, load up the game, change the Y axis settings, save, and then join my friend who has been hosting our co-op game all along. Sure enough, both of our settings were saved and functioning separately. I have no excuse for why I didn't think to try this sooner.

Just completed my first playthrough, in 23 hours, listening to each branch of all conversations. Really enjoyed it. Visiting Rivendell alone was worth it (and it's fun comparing it to Rivendell in Lord of the Rings Online).
Watching the credits, I was amazed how much voice-over talent was used: Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, Nolan North, Kim Mai Guest, Yuri Lowenthal, etc. There really was much more voice acting in this game than I had expected, and it was all really well done! Is there are list who voiced which character?

lunchtoast

Beat the game last night. I was able to find an online game that happened to be on chapter 8 part 4, so I joined and we beat the game together. Wish I would have quit before because I had found all 7 of those eye scrolls, and wanted to back track and play around with the other characters. Oh well, next play through. Oh, and the ending was awesome.

Yeah, there were a lot of voice acting in the game. Also the different hubs would change depending on how far you're into the story so it actually matters if you revisit them.

SnowblindTina

BrokenSymmetry said:
Just completed my first playthrough, in 23 hours, listening to each branch of all conversations. Really enjoyed it. Visiting Rivendell alone was worth it (and it's fun comparing it to Rivendell in Lord of the Rings Online).
Watching the credits, I was amazed how much voice-over talent was used: Jennifer Hale, Steve Blum, Nolan North, Kim Mai Guest, Yuri Lowenthal, etc. There really was much more voice acting in this game than I had expected, and it was all really well done! Is there are list who voiced which character?
We actually have a Q&A with Tom, Yuri and Nolan here: http://www.warinthenorth.com/index.php/news/37-dev-blogs/644-qaa-the-voices-of-war-in-the-north

Lord Phol

BrokenSymmetry said:

I was gonna post this.
Didn't expect the story to be much of interest, but the voice-acting and well written dialogues really makes it feel like lord of the rings and before you know it you're running around talking to every character to not miss out on anything.

I may try and pick this up around black friday, but if anyone on PS3 finishes it and wants to do a trade or something shoot me a PM!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Last Hearth said:
Yeah, there were a lot of voice acting in the game. Also the different hubs would change depending on how far you're into the story so it actually matters if you revisit them.
Didn't even know this heh. I've been mostly plowing through but at the same time trying to talk to everyone too. The story can be a bit long-winded at times but the VA makes it go down smooth.

Ok so started the game last night and defintely enjoying it. I felt the opening was a little bit lackluster as nothing exciting starts the game off with a bang, and for some reason I thought the game was played from the isometric point of view. Those issues aside the game is fun and see myself enjoying it immensly. Though I have a question. So when I play a game up to say chater 2 and then switch characters. Are the new characters my level and what about skills? And then what about when I want to switch back? I'm a tad confused on that.

Lord Phol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok so started the game last night and defintely enjoying it. I felt the opening was a little bit lackluster as nothing exciting starts the game off with a bang, and for some reason I thought the game was played from the isometric point of view. Those issues aside the game is fun and see myself enjoying it immensly. Though I have a question. So when I play a game up to say chater 2 and then switch characters. Are the new characters my level and what about skills? And then what about when I want to switch back? I'm a tad confused on that.

Your characters all share inventory and level up at the same time, so when you switch from one to another (which you can do at certain points in the game as well as at the Title Screen) you'll will be able to assign them skills and attribute points accordingly.

Something good to know is that the AI characters that help you are completely different from your characters. They got their own 'invisible' inventory and they pick skills and points by themselves. So whenever you give something to an AI you won't be able to access that item anymore as it belongs to the AIs inventory.

Top Bottom