• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so where are the
3 sigils that the old man wants us to find? im moving further and further away from that zone, hell I dont even remember where he was now :/

I found one but I dont remember where now (lol), and
then theres what LOOKS like one in that door where the guards tell you to fuck off and die, but I cant click it

Finding a key and not knowing where to use it is annoying lol. Main Hall key, I assume I haven't passed it yet. (Found the key in the first breakable wall).

Man I have about 4 keys right now and a skull & have no idea what goes where.

I'm A have to put this to the side for a while. I'm enjoying the game despite bad hitboxes & sometimes cheap enemies but I can't deal with the game crashing. It crashed on my ps4, 4 times in an hour. Including once when I had the 2nd boss under 1/4th health. I even wondered is it my ps4 since it just updated, but I didn't have any issues with TLOU. Im a try again tomorrow but man I don't ever remember a console game crashing on me. Especially more than once smh

Maffis

Is having more or less poise the best? I have a shield that gives 68 poise, but for some reason it there are green arrows on all the other shields that give less poise? so i reckon the more poise a armor has, the worse it is? sorry i dont really know what it does or means lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys dont forget to check your potions, some give atribute or spell points when you use them

Despera

Banned
Alright, starting this up. I'm going Rogue/Deception due to my traditional preference in these games for nimble characters with quick weapons, and that magic tree also seems interesting.

What I've gathered from discussion and a few vids I've seen is that Rogue is probably the toughest class to start with due to a smaller health bar, less damaging single strikes, and a much stricter focus on roll-dodging for defense, but that all sounds fine to me, provided hitboxes aren't quite as unreasonable as some people claim. Guess I'll soon find out.
The hitboxes are a real problem in this game. Going with a nimble character with low poise/defense unfortunately aint that fun, even though that's how I wanted to roll initially :(

Quick example of such bullshit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihi1tZ7klW0&feature=youtu.be&t=17m8s

rybrad

How useful or not are people finding the Luck stat to be as far as quality of drops?
I have 12 points in it so far and it seems unimpressive. Maybe more points or progression will make a difference but it doesn't seem worth it as an early stat when those points can be better spent elsewhere.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Oh also I've been playing as a rogue but with medium armour and it's been great so far. I found some kickass dual daggers that absolutely wreck. Remember, when it says damage that's just one hit, daggers is times two that.

Watching someone stream it on PS4 and it looks sooooo good.

I was going to hold off on getting this game for a while, but I think I'm gonna have to bite sooner.

Oh also I've been playing as a rogue but with medium armour and it's been great so far. I found some kickass dual daggers that absolutely wreck. Remember, when it says damage that's just one hit, daggers is times two that.

I'm doing the same basically..mixing Light/Medium armor (found a good head and chest piece early on) and using the shield from the Lionheart DLC. It makes my weight middle of the road so it's not that slow. I'm using the Monk Staff though. It's pretty quick for staff and not really heavy at all. Plus I like the backstab animation it has.

Also, Stab in the Rogue Magic tree makes things so much easier at times

Radian8

I'm using the Monk Staff though. It's pretty quick for staff and not really heavy at all. Plus I like the backstab animation it has.
I'm liking the Monk staff as well, if you can get it right the standard attack hits them 2-3 times per hit for some serious damage.
Also, the jumping attack with the staff is great!

Quake? How do you unlock it? I have the faith required but its still greyed out

I've seen people mention on the Steam forums that for the magic you need to put 1 point in the first spell to get the second and third to be available if you have the faith required. To open up the fourth spell it's possible you need 2 points in the first spell (Prayer) and then 1 each in the second and third.

Started a new character as a Cleric. Having more fun with this build than my Rogue. Which is odd, as I loved playing lighter classes in the Souls series.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking to buy a new game tomorrow, and thought I had it narrowed to Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, or Mordor.

But now this is standing in the doorway looking all badass. What do you guys think? Worth buying over the other games, or wait until the crashing is fixed? I'd be getting the PS4 version since I assume it's better than the X11 version.

addyb

Jeez the 2nd boss is giving me grief. Twice now I've had his energy right down and yet I can't keep it together and he beats me. Playing rogue with the monk staff.

Rhaknar

Jeez the 2nd boss is giving me grief. Twice now I've had his energy right down and yet I can't keep it together and he beats me. Playing rogue with the monk staff.

Are you abusing the clone spell? Because you should be

Also, fellow red magic users (I forget the actual name, the "warrior" spells), Ram is amazing. That is all :p

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How are people doing this running shield bash. All my character does is run, stop and then attempt a slow fucking shield bash. The mobs after the 2nd Boss with the great XP (that I am totally cheesing by quitting and reloading the area on a 2X multiplier) only "stun" after either a few shield bashes (where they are bashed away from any followup, or the knockdown after being caught in the Tower Shield L2.

Karamsoul

Just got the PSN digital download! I completed all 3 Souls games numerous times over, so am pretty curious/excited to see how LotF measures up.

Now to wait for the kids to go to sleep :)

lol51

When I pulled a lever it opens a gate halfway (not enough to roll). When I step on a pressure plate a door only opens slightly. Is this a bug? How screwed am I?

I am at
the catacombs. Just after a checkpoint, there is a room with a lever on the right and a spider. There is a huge gate and i see a gigantic Butcher like creature banging on a door in the distance. Did I miss a switch somwhere in catacombs or am I bugged?

9.5 hours in, killed all the Lords, haven't finished the game, don't think I will.

As the warrior, all I do is trade blows or use Rage, which removes my energy requirements, and proceed to spam heavy attacks. I don't even bother blocking attacks anymore, I just eat them with my face and drop my healing prayer. It's easier and faster. This also removes any fun for landing a satisfying hit, since I'm getting blasted at the same time. Combat just ended up as meh, like a boring chore.

The bosses are all gimmicky or a boring DPS race as a warrior, since its too hard to move out of the way of a swing and it takes you forever to attack with heavy weapons (hell, even most one-handed weapons take way too long).

I didn't really feel much when playing this game. Atmosphere, enemies, bosses, new loot, finding a new area, nothing made me feel anything. Even the check points. I didn't go "Thank god, a check point!" like I would when playing Souls for the first time.

And the ability to run people over while sprinting with a shield up is a nice idea, but beyond broke, since its instant and knocks most of the enemies down, allowing for follow up attacks with no risk.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Looking to buy a new game tomorrow, and thought I had it narrowed to Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, or Mordor.

But now this is standing in the doorway looking all badass. What do you guys think? Worth buying over the other games, or wait until the crashing is fixed? I'd be getting the PS4 version since I assume it's better than the X11 version.

Honestly, get Sunset if it's all the same and you have DS2 with all the DLC. This game is if you don't have an XOne to play Sunset/FH2. It feels very restricted compared to Dark Souls/Demons.

That being said I don't own an XOne but want one right now. I have a gaming PC and PS4.

I can't recommend this over Mordor. It's too buggy. Mordor is great, so is sunset. By the time you're done with either this should have another patch.

How are people doing this running shield bash. All my character does is run, stop and then attempt a slow fucking shield bash. The mobs after the 2nd Boss with the great XP (that I am totally cheesing by quitting and reloading the area on a 2X multiplier) only "stun" after either a few shield bashes (where they are bashed away from any followup, or the knockdown after being caught in the Tower Shield L2.

Cause u need to hit L1 Not L2

When I pulled a lever it opens a gate halfway (not enough to roll). When I step on a pressure plate a door only opens slightly. Is this a bug? How screwed am I?

I am at
the catacombs. Just after a checkpoint, there is a room with a lever on the right and a spider. There is a huge gate and i see a gigantic Butcher like creature banging on a door in the distance. Did I miss a switch somwhere in catacombs or am I bugged?

Use your first spell to create a clone of yourself while standing on it.

Camp Lo

Banned
Seriously, the running and shoulder bash with your shield, knocking a lot of enemies over is a game changer. Wish I knew about that earlier. Doesn't work with some of the bigger dudes but lots of the small fry go down!

Didn't even think to do that honestly. I just two handed heavy attack while running. I'm going to try that tonight

Maffis

9.5 hours in, killed all the Lords, haven't finished the game, don't think I will.

As the warrior, all I do is trade blows or use Rage, which removes my energy requirements, and proceed to spam heavy attacks. I don't even bother blocking attacks anymore, I just eat them with my face and drop my healing prayer. It's easier and faster. This also removes any fun for landing a satisfying hit, since I'm getting blasted at the same time. Combat just ended up as meh, like a boring chore.

The bosses are all gimmicky or a boring DPS race as a warrior, since its too hard to move out of the way of a swing and it takes you forever to attack with heavy weapons (hell, even most one-handed weapons take way too long).

I didn't really feel much when playing this game. Atmosphere, enemies, bosses, new loot, finding a new area, nothing made me feel anything. Even the check points. I didn't go "Thank god, a check point!" like I would when playing Souls for the first time.

And the ability to run people over while sprinting with a shield up is a nice idea, but beyond broke, since its instant and knocks most of the enemies down, allowing for follow up attacks with no risk.

well you played the most cheesy way you could in this game. the devs themselves said warrior was easy mode basically.

it's a shame you don't really get anything for playing with lighter armor other than feeling great about yourself i guess.

theDeeDubs

What the heck do you have to do against these enemies? Shield break doesn't even work, rolling is junk in his game due to the fact that enemies with shields recover from their attacks before your roll is even over. I can steam roll demon's and dark 1&2 but this enemy here is frustrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEaqrU0w_G0&feature=youtu.be

Video should be done processing soon.

Man I was cruising along until I hit this part. I've done no death runs in Souls and never found them to be that difficult, but the guys in this area are kicking my butt. Even the smaller blind guys near them recover too quickly after doing their attack combos. This game has severe balance issues. The roll is too shitty to wear anything but heavy armor it appears. Hit boxes are way off too.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Man I was cruising along until I hit this part. I've done no death runs in Souls and never found them to be that difficult, but the guys in this area are kicking my butt. Even the smaller blind guys near them recover too quickly after doing their attack combos. This game has severe balance issues. The roll is too shitty to wear anything but heavy armor it appears.

My advice is to use the shield charge and try to get a heavy attack in and then move back, or use the decoy magic and attack from behind.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
@Morrigan: Have you even played the game? It sounds like you just want to hate it. . . .
Obviously I haven't, since I keep asking questions about it. I don't want to hate it at all, on the contrary, I really want to like it but some of the posts I read made me a bit concerned. I'm definitely going to get it for PS4 eventually but I'll probably wait for Black Friday sales or Christmas.

Rhaknar

People realize that there are zones you are not supposed to go until you level up right? Just like that other game... those fat guys become much easier later on for example

well you played the most cheesy way you could in this game. the devs themselves said warrior was easy mode basically.

it's a shame you don't really get anything for playing with lighter armor other than feeling great about yourself i guess.

I stopped using a shield and just went with heavy armor/heavy weapon, and a decent role and tried to un-cheese the game. It didn't work at all. I even used medium armor towards the end and that didn't help either. The two handed weapons are just too slow to not just trade hits.

There is no reason to not wear heavy armor with poise, and just jack up your carry weight or use the carry weight ring.

Tried lighter weapons as well, they seemed to unwieldy for me, and didn't have any fun.

Maffis

Man I was cruising along until I hit this part. I've done no death runs in Souls and never found them to be that difficult, but the guys in this area are kicking my butt. Even the smaller blind guys near them recover too quickly after doing their attack combos. This game has severe balance issues. The roll is too shitty to wear anything but heavy armor it appears. Hit boxes are way off too. Feeling super disappointed so far.

are you sure youre going the correct way?

Top Bottom