• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So imo this game kinda sucks. Souls without the soul.

You're all welcome for that extensive review.

It also runs like poop on PS4. Doesn't help matters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm not disagreeing with people that don't like it, it is your prerogative, but I find it funny (curious) that everyone bashing is comparing it to DS. Reminds me when I was a kid an everyone bashed 90% of fighting games because it wasn't street fighter 2 :)

Btw I'm not saying this can even touch dark souls in any way, I just think on its own its a good game, at least the 4 hours or so I played so far. Peeps really shouldn't go in expecting dark souls 3, or even 1.5 or whatever. But hey, I don't give a fuck, I'm liking it (so far that is, it could change)

I should have saved a screen cap of me telling a friend the other day "most souls fans all hate it" :p

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I wouldn't hate it if it actually explained things and didn't bug out. On a console no less!

And yes I know "other" games of this type, those games that are dark in some areas and seem to eat away at your soul, are obtuse in their own way but not like this.

Still I could tolerate all of that if the fucking thing didn't all of a sudden decide it wanted to crash on me constantly!

theDeeDubs

are you sure youre going the correct way?

First time through so I'm not sure to be honest. These guys are getting stuck and just standing there. If I melee them from behind now they instantly do a move that takes half my my health. They just stand there while I gauntlet shoot them to death though. Maybe the game is just super buggy on XB1.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just past the second boss-

how do I deal with these big shield guys? I use my distract spell, and he kills it in one hit. I can never get behind him, and hitting his front does 2 damage because of the shield.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just past the second boss-

how do I deal with these big shield guys? I use my distract spell, and he kills it in one hit. I can never get behind him, and hitting his front does 2 damage because of the shield.

the
fat guys
? you dont yet, they are hard. well you can if you want, it takes ages and they hurt a lot, but thats not the way you want to go.

just like earlier there was that
cellar jail zone
where you werent "supposed" to be in

I'm holding X and pressing L1 with a shield equipped. No shield bash. What am I doing wrong?

first run then press the shield, some guys can be knocked down tho, only staggered. some dont give any single fuck about your charge even. You dont really hold the shield in front of you captain america style by the way if you are looking for a visual cue, its subtle. try it on those shitty zombie things, if you run them over like a bull, it worked :)

bLaiSe

Are these three marks on the walls for the Monk's Decipher quest can be found before the Commander boss? I've found two and have been looking for the third one for a while now but can't find it anywhere.

Rhaknar

Are these three marks on the walls for the Monk's Decipher quest can be found before the Commander boss? I've found two and have been looking for the third one for a while now but can't find it anywhere.

yes and they
are all close together
, i also missed 2 of them >_>

Rhaknar

Yeah, I should have checked Quote's post before commenting. Completely missed the first one.

funny thing is, I was just watching my own stream from earlier when I was testing out 720p instead of 1080p (nobody uses fullscreen anyway, and it looks much better with no artifacts, I guess my connection cant handle 1080p streaming, but anyway...) and on the stream I pass by where one of them is at least, and I dont see it, and I know I have the thing equipped. I guess you need to go right up to them for them to show?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Does the game have good variety in gear/enemies? I am sort of early and I kind of need something to look forward to, before I become disenchanted with the game any further.

Rhaknar

Does the game have good variety in gear/enemies? I am sort of early and I kind of need something to look forward to, before I become disenchanted with the game any further.

gear yes, enemies no. if you are already not liking it, you wont like it in my opinion (then again I usually dont believe in the idea that games get much better later on, if im not liking or liking a game, that feeling usually sticks for the rest of the game >_>)

Why do some weapons found seem to have ridiculously low damage? I'm currently using a ~30 damage weapon, and I'm pulling weapons out of locked chests with like 7 damage. Are damage numbers on weapons randomly rolled or something?

Rhaknar

Why do some weapons found seem to have ridiculously low damage? I'm currently using a ~30 damage weapon, and I'm pulling weapons out of locked chests with like 7 damage. Are damage numbers on weapons randomly rolled or something?

because, like dark souls, you need a certain number of a certain stat for them to have their real attack :) I only noticed this late myself lol

press Y (at least on the alternate control scheme) in the menu over a weapon to see their description, and it will show you how much STR or AGI or whatever they need to be effective :)

the sword you get from the first boss for example, had like 10dmg when i got it, and now it has 50 dmg because I have enough STR to use it properly. its actually still my highest dmg weapon, but I dont like how slow it is so im using a small axe

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
gear yes, enemies no. if you are already not liking it, you wont like it in my opinion (then again I usually dont believe in the idea that games get much better later on, if im not liking or liking a game, that feeling usually sticks for the rest of the game >_>)

Well sometimes when you get cool abilities and weapons/gear and the enemies get more challenging the game becomes much more interesting. If these things don't develop, then the game gets repetitive and loses my attention. So far daggers seem impractical for enemies that cant be back stabbed and bosses, but maybe later on I get some bad ass daggers that make them rewarding for a stealthy assassin build.

If not, i'll see how long it takes before i put it on the shelf, sadly.

because, like dark souls, you need a certain number of a certain stat for them to have their real attack :) I only noticed this late myself lol

press Y (at least on the alternate control scheme) in the menu over a weapon to see their description, and it will show you how much STR or AGI or whatever they need to be effective :)

the sword you get from the first boss for example, had like 10dmg when i got it, and now it has 50 dmg because I have enough STR to use it properly. its actually still my highest dmg weapon, but I dont like how slow it is so im using a small axe

Gracias

So my brother's 8 hour save on PS4 is now permanently fucked after his game got stuck in a death loop, he dies immediately after loading. Here's a capture of what happens. Other people with the same issue here.

I've noticed a ton of bugs in my playthrough too, audio issues, freezes, graphical glitches, bugs with doors and chests not opening.... as much as i like the overall game i'm never buying anything from these devs again, it's unacceptable to release a game in this state.

Maffis

First time through so I'm not sure to be honest. These guys are getting stuck and just standing there. If I melee them from behind now they instantly do a move that takes half my my health. They just stand there while I gauntlet shoot them to death though. Maybe the game is just super buggy on XB1.
Ok. I know for sure that youre going the wrong way. Head back a bit from the checkpoint and go into the tower. If you face these smaller dudes with shields youre on the right path. The reason they are killing you is because they are meant for later or more experienced players. They have a shitton of poise

Rhaknar

So my brother's 8 hour save on PS4 is now permanently fucked after his game got stuck in a death loop, he dies immediately after loading. Here's a capture of what happens. Other people with the same issue here.

I've noticed a ton of bugs in my playthrough too, sounds issues, freezes, graphical glitches, bugs with doors and chests not opening.... as much as i like the overall game i'm never buying anything from these devs again, it's unacceptable to release a game in this state.

I guess console peeps arent familiar with eurojank :)

Im not making fun btw, that sucks and im sorry, but yeah... this is a typical janky ass pc game from a janky ass euro developer. Like your Cyanides and your Spiders and whatnot. Its par for the course.

I'm a little past the second boss and I'm not sure if i'm going to keep playing, or at least till a patch. Visually on the PS4, it can look really good, but the weird framerate, graphic/artifact pop in, janky-ness and just plain broken hit detection kills a lot of it for me

Not to mention that the world so far (granted, i'm still early) is pretty forgettable. After opening up a shortcut I end back up on the main path and think "Well, if I need to backtrack here, i'll never remember how to get back. The rooms all look the same" Especially those circular rooms, I think there is at least 5-6 of them I've seen so far.

A little longer in the oven would have done wonders for this game.

Rhaknar

so what is gaf's general consensus for this game? im very on the fence about it.

there is no consensus, well except when it gets to the technical part, then its a mess. a fixable mess on PC, but still a mess

quality wise opinions are all over the place :)

Hell even me, who am liking it quite a lot so far, cant recomend it for full price. I still maintain this should have been a 39.99 release or even lower, like Styx was. I bet if it was PC only it would have been in fact

I have to say I'm tempted to return my copy when it turns up, I wanted a no. shooter or racing game and nearly went with Middle Earth like I wanted too, watched some videos on this game and got excited and used my store credit I had saved up on it, but I might be better off just waiting for a sale for this game and using the return to order something else... a shame really, dunno what to do, I could play it until MCC and trade it I guess.

Maffis

All this talk about weird hitdetection seems really strange to me. The enemies simply attack alot faster and more often in this game. When you have finshed dodging theyre already swinging again so you get hit. You have a shield and 12 potions and a gauntlet for a reason. And spells too. You are simply meant to use all your tools you have. Spread out your attribute points and upgrade your spells.

there is no consensus, well except when it gets to the technical part, then its a mess. a fixable mess on PC, but still a mess

quality wise opinions are all over the place :)

Hell even me, who am liking it quite a lot so far, cant recomend it for full price. I still maintain this should have been a 39.99 release or even lower, like Styx was. I bet if it was PC only it would have been in fact

well I can get it for about 25... Thats why I ask. you answered that aspect too. lol

Rhaknar

well I can get it for about 25... Thats why I ask. you answered that aspect too. lol

it is most deffinately worth 25 then

All this talk about weird hitdetection seems really strange to me. The enemies simply attack alot faster and more often in this game. When you have finshed dodging theyre already swinging again so you get hit. You have a shield and 12 potions and a gauntlet for a reason. And spells too. You are simply meant to use all your tools you have. Spread out your attribute points and upgrade your spells.

people want it to be dark souls. its not dark souls. some accept that, some dont. Thats my overly simplistic way of looking at it :)

also you get up to 12 potions? good lord. or do you mean different potions?

theDeeDubs

Ok. I know for sure that youre going the wrong way. Head back a bit from the checkpoint and go into the tower. If you face these smaller dudes with shields youre on the right path. The reason they are killing you is because they are meant for later or more experienced players. They have a shitton of poise

Gotcha. I'll look around then.

Maffis

Well sometimes when you get cool abilities and weapons/gear and the enemies get more challenging the game becomes much more interesting. If these things don't develop, then the game gets repetitive and loses my attention. So far daggers seem impractical for enemies that cant be back stabbed and bosses, but maybe later on I get some bad ass daggers that make them rewarding for a stealthy assassin build.

If not, i'll see how long it takes before i put it on the shelf, sadly.
Did you know that you can switch weapons at anytime? Definetely get a staff and use that when enemies use a shield instead of daggers. Or simply abuse your spells. There are tons of ways on how too succeed with daggers, but shen you dont, switch weapon or play it safe.

I honestly cant fathom all these complaints about unfair enemies or weak weapons and such. You have so many potions and Tools too use and the checkpoints are close. Stop being so bent on dualweilding or Rolling. This isnt dark souls.

Maffis

it is most deffinately worth 25 then

people want it to be dark souls. its not dark souls. some accept that, some dont. Thats my overly simplistic way of looking at it :)

also you get up to 12 potions? good lord. or do you mean different potions?
Yep. Im before the 4th boss and i can carry 11 potions. Though i have explored allt. 7 hours in and only 3 bosses.

My issue is landing a hit and it not being detected, or health bars just disappearing randomly and not knowing when things will die. I also rarely roll and have never dual wielded, but sometimes I'll two-hand my current axe for extra damage, when it hits.

It weird whiffing on hits happened a lot to me on the 2nd boss. He would do his shield smash and i'd go up and probably about 25% of the time, the first hit didn't count.

Rhaknar

Yep. Im before the 4th boss and i can carry 11 potions. Though i have explored allt. 7 hours in and only 3 bosses.

wait wait... are you talking about health potions? Im like 5 hours in, I beat 3 bosses (
tutorial, the guy outside the church and the graveyard guy
) and I still only have the 3 potions, and ive been exploring like a mofo

theDeeDubs

wait wait... are you talking about health potions? Im like 5 hours in, I beat 3 bosses (
tutorial, the guy outside the church and the graveyard guy
) and I still only have the 3 potions, and ive been exploring like a mofo

I just reached the 3rd boss and have 6.

theDeeDubs

I don't see it in the description but Shelter from the Solace spell path also gives you health regen. Nice but slow to cast.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Despite the (very frequent) crashes I'm really enjoying the game. It's not perfect, not even close, but it's pretty addictive to grind away battling enemies and building a stronger character.

Fuck the spiders, however.

SRTtoZ

so what is gaf's general consensus for this game? im very on the fence about it.

A solid game with good combat, loot, gear and all that good stuff but suffers from technical difficulties.

Well Lords is on PC, PS4 & ONE is exclusive to a console that's not winning. Did you expect it to be the other way around?

True and Streamers are mainly PC gamers but I did expect to see Sunset up on the front page.

Rhaknar

I've killed 5 bosses and I've got 10. Would have 12 if I didn't give two to random NPCs.

wait the potion I gave to
the monk I cut the arm of was one of the perma health potions
?

where are you guys getting so many potions :(

ironcreed

Banned
This game is no joke. Just got my ass handed to me by what I would call the equivalent of the Red Knight from Demon's Souls, but I finally got him. There are some long ass boss battles as well. The story is bleh, but the world, gear and gameplay more than make up for it.

Joco

Well my rogue playthrough is still at a wall, going to restart with a warrior tomorrow, hopefully that goes a lot better.

Rhaknar

warrior, cleric, rogue, that only determines what points you start with. you can still use heavy armor and big weapons and shields with a "rogue", you dont need to restart the game, unless you are so high level that you used up a lot of points

Top Bottom