• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

I'm in Lincoln Heights. I'll probably do Sherman Oaks. I want to see it in IMAX, but at least with Arclight I know I'll get a completely unspoiled experience.

Why would you go to Sherman Oaks when the Pasadena Arclight is so much closer to Lincoln Heights?? (also hello fellow Lincoln Heighter!)

Sobriquet

So... there was a murder at my complex last night.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...shooting-at-brewery-lofts-in-lincoln-heights/

They're also using our conversations on a community Facebook page to use in the stories, apparently. :/

News vans finally left a couple of hours ago, after being there since about 2 in the morning. There was no party here, regardless of what the news says. Every channel and paper and website is getting that wrong.

Sup, Lincoln Heights GAF.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
was at the Whaler in Venice last night. After the Lakers won, the bar turned itself into a dance club as the girls were rowdy all night.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
So... there was a murder at my complex last night.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...shooting-at-brewery-lofts-in-lincoln-heights/

They're also using our conversations on a community Facebook page to use in the stories, apparently. :/

News vans finally left a couple of hours ago, after being there since about 2 in the morning. There was no party here, regardless of what the news says. Every channel and paper and website is getting that wrong.

Sup, Lincoln Heights GAF.

did you look in the comments section??
fucked up shit right thur especially that comment by Mortimer Post

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I've been offered a position in California. More specifically Culver City. I've been googling but I'd like to hear LA-GAF's thoughts on that area. Traffic? Cost of living?

Would a chemistry major be able to find a job in that area?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I've been offered a position in California. More specifically Culver City. I've been googling but I'd like to hear LA-GAF's thoughts on that area. Traffic? Cost of living?

Culver City is in a bad traffic area, but otherwise is super central to beaches, downtown, hollywood, LAX. Lots of good food / shopping that are nearby.

Cost of living is crazy, and you have to be mindful that the freeways near there are frequently horrific, but if you can live near work, it'd be a nice spot to be

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Fantastic, I don't even own shorts yet.

good news is June gloom rolls in and it cools down for June a bit... cloudy mornings, warm afternoons.

July/August/Sept has some brutal days though.

our office is across the street from the Burbank airport (which rules)

Alchemy

There's a nice Taco Bell there and if you like computer stores, I think Frys is easily accessible.

If only I could eat anything at Taco Bell... but Frys is cool! There is one up around where I live in Bellevue currently, so that should be fun. It will be nice to wander around town after I get through this moving madness month.

beat

I wouldn't say the cost of living is TOO bad. It is probably the most affordable area in West LA. I guess that's not saying that much though, lol

Affordability of Palms is somewhat counter-balanced by parking insanity. Every available square foot that could conceivably be a parking space is taken up.

Verano

there's the local pharmacies like Rite Aid, CVS, etc...around Culver or look around Brentwood (bit far from culver), and Westwood (not that far from Culver but better area all around) areas as a pharmacist.

otake

Culver City is in a bad traffic area, but otherwise is super central to beaches, downtown, hollywood, LAX. Lots of good food / shopping that are nearby.

Cost of living is crazy, and you have to be mindful that the freeways near there are frequently horrific, but if you can live near work, it'd be a nice spot to be

Traffic is bad getting in and out of Culver? Or just in? How bad do you mean? I've been looking around and my fiance would have to work in City of Industry or Buena Park.

Zyzyxxz

Traffic is bad getting in and out of Culver? Or just in? How bad do you mean? I've been looking around and my fiance would have to work in City of Industry or Buena Park.

Well with City of Industry your fiance would see morning traffic going toward Downtown but once she's past it should would be able to drive 80. Same thing in reverse assuming she gets off at rush hour times.

To Buena Park it could be just as bad I don't know how the freeways are from Culver city.

otake

Well with City of Industry your fiance would see morning traffic going toward Downtown but once she's past it should would be able to drive 80. Same thing in reverse assuming she gets off at rush hour times.

To Buena Park it could be just as bad I don't know how the freeways are from Culver city.

How much does one have to make to live okay there? Just curious, not asking for everyones salary. Obviously if your rich everything is easier.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

you're by the 10 and the 405, specifically, you're by the 10 going from Santa Monica to Downtown, and by the 405 going in and out of Santa Monica. So your freeways always will have some level of congestion. The commute for your fiance will be easier once she gets to downtown and then is going AWAY from downtown, and vice versa at night. The basic flows are into downtown and Santa Monica in the morning, and away from them in the evening. If you're going in the opposite direction, it's not that bad.

Buena Park would be sort of a nightmare maybe, the 5 is shitty too during rush hour, though she might be able to use some weird combo of 110/105/91/405 to get there without too much hassle.

Zyzyxxz

How much does one have to make to live okay there? Just curious, not asking for everyones salary. Obviously if your rich everything is easier.

Depends on how much you pay for rent, your spending habits, blah blah blah so hard to say.

I wouldn't move out there unless I was making $3K a month (pretax). I know a former coworker was living out there in a two bedroom for ~$1400 a month but no idea which part.

otake

I'm very nervous about this. Some people would say it's a great opportunity but all I hear about California is traffic jams and taxes.

Is it common to be stuck in traffix for over an hour?

I'm very nervous about this. Some people would say it's a great opportunity but all I hear about California is traffic jams and taxes.

Yes.

I used to have an 8 mile commute from Burbank to Wilshire - it would take me 1 hour during rush hour. Pent up road rage everywhere you turn.

Oh man, good luck to your fiance. She's pretty much fucked in terms of traffic going to and from either of those places, especially if she's going to be working the normal 9 to 5.

PG2G

Oh man, good luck to your fiance. She's pretty much fucked in terms of traffic going to and from either of those places, especially if she's going to be working the normal 9 to 5.

Wouldn't she be going against traffic because she'd be leaving LA? Assuming she'd take 405 instead of the 10 through downtown. City of Industry she'd definitely be screwed though.

otake

Yes.

I used to have an 8 mile commute from Burbank to Wilshire - it would take me 1 hour during rush hour. Pent up road rage everywhere you turn.

Well fuck. I'm making more money but my quality of life is going down!

Currently, I live in Florida. My commute is 35 minutes on a bad day.

Verano

depends where and when you're commuting from or to. Also, taking the streets is another alternative to freeways.

Wouldn't she be going against traffic because she'd be leaving LA? Assuming she'd take 405 instead of the 10 through downtown. City of Industry she'd definitely be screwed though.

Not really. For her to get to Buena Park, she'd have to either take the 10 to the 5 or 405 to 105 to the 5. The 405, 5 and 10 suck either way during rush hour. It's going to take more than an hour and a half regardless.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

All depends on your commute. It hardly ever happens for me, but I live where my wife has a 1 mile commute, and where I have a four mile commute. Neither of us takes freeways to work.

Even if your commute is along a bad stretch, if you can be somewhat flexible with work hours (ie, work 7-4, or say 10-7), you can avoid some of it.

It's not doom and gloom like we are making it out to be, though if your fiance is working in Buena Park/City of Industry and you are in Culver City, that's about a 30-mile difference and presents logistical challenges in terms of where you live and traffic situations/patterns.

Not really. For her to get to Buena Park, she'd have to either take the 10 to the 5 or 405 to 105 to the 5. The 405, 5 and 10 suck either way during rush hour. It's going to take more than an hour and a half regardless.

But from Culver City, taking the 405 to the 105 in the morning shouldn't be too bad, and then you can take all those smaller freeways (105/91/710/110 or some combination thereof). I have to think there is a better route there then just blindly taking the 10 / 5 or the 405 through long beach.

otake

It's only 28 miles. google maps claims it's 45 minutes. This is why I'm glad this thread exists, there's nothing like asking people who live there.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Yes.

Where on Wilshire? I drive from Burbank to Downtown. I take San Fernando and it 40 mins every time

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
All depends on your commute. It hardly ever happens for me, but I live where my wife has a 1 mile commute, and where I have a four mile commute. Neither of us takes freeways to work.

Even if your commute is along a bad stretch, if you can be somewhat flexible with work hours (ie, work 7-4, or say 10-7), you can avoid some of it.

It's not doom and gloom like we are making it out to be, though if your fiance is working in Buena Park/City of Industry and you are in Culver City, that's about a 30-mile difference and presents logistical challenges in terms of where you live and traffic situations/patterns.

But from Culver City, taking the 405 to the 105 in the morning shouldn't be too bad, and then you can take all those smaller freeways (105/91/710/110 or some combination thereof). I have to think there is a better route there then just blindly taking the 10 / 5 or the 405 through long beach.

Insomniac is in Burbank??

Can I get a studio tour

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Insomniac is in Burbank??

Can I get a studio tour

yessir, right across from the airport and Fry's (other side of the railroad track). I live in Studio City myself.

we usually reserve studio tours for our community days, especially with how busy we are on sekrits. But if an opportunity comes up I'll let ya know.

yessir, right across from the airport and Fry's (other side of the railroad track). I live in Studio City myself.

we usually reserve studio tours for our community days, especially with how busy we are on sekrits. But if an opportunity comes up I'll let ya know.

NeoGAF is a community.

Oh damn, I know where that is. And that's pretty sick with the tour jstevenson, y'all are good peeps. I wouldn't mind asking either, but I'm in the UK now. xD

Alchemy

Oh snap, game industry people. I'm moving down to be a game designer at a smaller studio Rebel Entertainment. I think I applied to a few positions at Insomniac and never heard back :(

Finishing up my last month on a super secret AAA game up here that is close to release.

Top Bottom