• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

quaere

I would actually trust Google with the traffic situation.

Before I started doing a Pasadena to downtown commute (about 10 miles) I heard a lot of half an hour if you're lucky one hour on the bad days. I was prepared for the worst after hearing that but in reality it never takes more than 35 minutes. Remarkably consistent in the 25-35 minute range.

Point is, Google has actual data not guesses.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I would actually trust Google with the traffic situation.

Before I started doing a Pasadena to downtown commute (about 10 miles) I heard a lot of half an hour if you're lucky one hour on the bad days. I was prepared for the worst after hearing that but in reality it never takes more than 35 minutes. Remarkably consistent in the 25-35 minute range.

Point is, Google has actual data not guesses.

pretty much this. Also, I do recommend LA-GAF to visit SIGALERT to view traffic conditions on the freeways. It automatically refreshes itself for a much more up to date conditions on traffic so ya its quite handy.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Doubling up the suggestion on Sigalert. As a production assistant delivering tapes throughout the greater LA area, it was always the go to on traffic.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Culver City is in a bad traffic area, but otherwise is super central to beaches, downtown, hollywood, LAX. Lots of good food / shopping that are nearby.

Cost of living is crazy, and you have to be mindful that the freeways near there are frequently horrific, but if you can live near work, it'd be a nice spot to be

One of my co-workers originally from the area called me and said even with $80K a year I'd be starving in LA. He's about to retire, it's actually his territory I will eventually be taking over. BS?

PG2G

One of my co-workers originally from the area called me and said even with $80K a year I'd be starving in LA. He's about to retire, it's actually his territory I will eventually be taking over. BS?

In Culver City, around $80k is the median household income. I think a family of two can live pretty decently off that. If it was a family of four I'd probably consider living in a cheaper area.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras

Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch. My first year out here I lived and made $10k on the entire year.

Now that I kind of starved on.

$80k would be banking it, respectively (obv). Really depends on your means. If you've got a family, which I don't and didn't (single dude, starvin' for his dreams type deal), I can definitely see how pulling that in culver wouldn't suffice, but if it's just you and your respective other and she's working also, seems like a great start.

Burbank to Downtown is nothing. I had to drive to Beverly Hills.

On South Park I drove Studio City to Marina Del Ray both ways through rush hour. Absolutely abysmal.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

not true. I made far less than that when I moved out here. You'd need a roommate at a certain level, but if you and your fiance are sharing an apartment, and if you have 80k, you're doing more than ok to start. Having two car payments would hurt, but if you own your cars, live close to at least one person's work (minimize gas) - you can be fine.

It is expensive here, but it's totally doable on cheaper budgets then 80k a year. Culver City/westside hurts a little in that regard, and you'll have to be frugal, but there is so much free stuff to do here (beach, events etc) and the weather is always great.

Alchemy

Yeesh, all the talk of 80k being a *good start* is scaring me. I'll be on 50k with my girlfriend (who is looking for work once we move), but we're looking for one/two bed apartments right now. Thankfully she is the only one with a car and its paid off for, but I'm still sweating it now (or maybe its because its hot down here, waiting for our next apartment walk through). Hopefully the Burbank area is more reasonable than LA.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Yeesh, all the talk of 80k being a *good start* is scaring me. I'll be on 50k with my girlfriend (who is looking for work once we move), but we're looking for one/two bed apartments right now. Thankfully she is the only one with a car and its paid off for, but I'm still sweating it now (or maybe its because its hot down here, waiting for our next apartment walk through). Hopefully the Burbank area is more reasonable than LA.

You'll be completely fine. I'm a single male and have lived off way less than 50k for the first two years.

I don't know who could starve on $80k. I really don't. That's just ridiculous.

LOL. No. Burbank is a very desirable neighborhood and rent has been skyrocketing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

If you did a big one bed you will be fine. Burbank is cheaper than Studio City / Sherman Oaks and the beach communities. I the rent is too high there, Glendale isn't bad either or say Eagle Rock or something

beat

Does your friend have expensive habits like sending the kids to private school or snorting crushed Faberge eggs?

Alchemy

If you did a big one bed you will be fine. Burbank is cheaper than Studio City / Sherman Oaks and the beach communities. I the rent is too high there, Glendale isn't bad either or say Eagle Rock or something

Resting a bit after our first run at apartments, we found a pretty good one bed for $1450 around NoHo (Academy Village) that is top on our list right now. Everything else is about $100 less, but with much fewer amenities. Some places even end up charging $25 a month for a fridge or don't even have one. I think my only issue right now is travel, but we should be good. Investigating public transit options now.

Taking an hour break and back at it. I think the next place on my list is a duplex.

beat

Resting a bit after our first run at apartments, we found a pretty good one bed for $1450 around NoHo (Academy Village) that is top on our list right now. Everything else is about $100 less, but with much fewer amenities. Some places even end up charging $25 a month for a fridge or don't even have one. I think my only issue right now is travel, but we should be good. Investigating public transit options now.

Taking an hour break and back at it. I think the next place on my list is a duplex.
The fridge situation in LA rentals is nuts! My experience elsewhere is that a fridge is standard; in LA they're usually not provided or if they are, it's some weird thing where the landlord technically owns it but won't take any responsibility for fixing it. I had to buy mine from the previous tenant, albeit for a very reasonable price (under $100).

Public transit in LA is probably decent compared to many parts of N America, depending where in LA you're talking about, and where in NA you're comparing it to. But it's not great and long distances are probably going to suck by transit unless you're travelling by rail or an express bus line gets you close on both ends of the trip. (and by 'long distance' I mean "the kind of distance Californians think nothing about driving in order to get lunch." =P )

Alchemy

The fridge thing is bizarre. I moved around a bunch around Seattle while going to school and every place had a fridge by default. I was blind sided by the first place that didn't have a fridge and about half of the places we looked at ended up lacking a fridge.

I think we're good though, found a really nice duplex at a great price. Only negative is that our move in schedule is going to be crazy. Also I guess being next to the freeway, but there is a concrete wall to help buffer the sound and you can hardly hear it inside the building.

The apartment gauntlet for today is over. Now for the application process.

Zyzyxxz

So we're doing open acoustic music at the bar I work at, if anybody is interested let me know (no electronic stuff, depressing stuff, hardcore acoustic metal if that's even possible but just covering all my bases). It's pretty relaxed atmosphere and we're trying to build a crowd so if you're local to the 626 it's all good.

Sobriquet

So we're doing open acoustic music at the bar I work at, if anybody is interested let me know (no electronic stuff, depressing stuff, hardcore acoustic metal if that's even possible but just covering all my bases). It's pretty relaxed atmosphere and we're trying to build a crowd so if you're local to the 626 it's all good.

Any pay?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural

I'm curious, why focusing on that area?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Got my E3 plans finalized and I'll be coming back home to LA for a few weeks. :3

Any new food trucks I should be on the lookout for?

tons of good ones hang out at E3 in the food truck food court.

there is a poutine truck running around now.

nothing has really caught LA's imagination, I think a lot of the younger trucks died off too. Market was over saturated.

GAF's own Nintendoll's Wein Truck is awesome, especially if you used to go to the Weiner Factory

nothing has really caught LA's imagination, I think a lot of the younger trucks died off too. Market was over saturated.

GAF's own Nintendoll's Wein Truck is awesome, especially if you used to go to the Weiner Factory

Oh nice. I'll try to keep my eye out, especially for Nintendoll's. I've been wanting to hit that up if I came back anytime soon. The Sony E3 conference last year had some decent ones as well. Kept going back to that dim sum truck, mmmmm.

But I figured the truck boom would diminish at some point. Before I left for the UK last year, there were food trucks popping up all over the place.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Oh nice. I'll try to keep my eye out, especially for Nintendoll's. I've been wanting to hit that up if I came back anytime soon. The Sony E3 conference last year had some decent ones as well. Kept going back to that dim sum truck, mmmmm.

But I figured the truck boom would diminish at some point. Before I left for the UK last year, there were food trucks popping up all over the place.

It's still strong, but I feel like the favorites are sort of entrenched, and the younglings come and go. I may just be bitter that we aren't getting as many visits as we used to

D'aww, thanks for the shout out! Free lunch for you tomorrow if you're around :p

Nintendodoll's a man?

I've met her. That's pretty good.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So I've been hankerin' for a hot dog.

Where should I get a hot dog.

I also love food trucks.

Any suggestions?

Never mind I'll just stick to Carney's.

teehee

Nice, I still have yet to get anything from a food truck. So excited for E3!

Will you be swinging by the E3 festivities this year? I swear, I won't bug you for a free lunch! :p

I'll be at E3 myself, but my truck is already booked the first and last day of the show. Who knows, I might sneak us in on day two or something. At this point I think I have a flawless track record of hooking up gaffers, so really you wouldn't even have to bug me :3

And Fidelis, just come by already, I'm literally in your neighborhood (or adjacent) like 3 times a week. Be a dude, man. :p

I'll be at E3 myself, but my truck is already booked the first and last day of the show. Who knows, I might sneak us in on day two or something. At this point I think I have a flawless track record of hooking up gaffers, so really you wouldn't even have to bug me :3

And Fidelis, just come by already, I'm literally in your neighborhood (or adjacent) like 3 times a week. Be a dude, man. :p

Which truck do you work with?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

:O

Definitely good looking out! It's been ages since I've had a good American dog, so my money was already yours.

You wouldn't happen to be doing any Sony events at e3, eh?

Top Bottom