• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
He won't have a car, though. Culver City would be my last pick in that case, since there's nothing to see or do there.

Try Santa Monica or Hollywood/West Hollywood.

there's that horrid transit tho...:lol
he could take the bus to 3rd street promenade or the grove.

I think Hollywood is best since there's a lot to do there.

Negator

Sup LA GAF, I'm going to be dropping by for AX and was wondering if there is any place I should stop by and eat while I'm there (will be around Burbank)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Sup LA GAF, I'm going to be dropping by for AX and was wondering if there is any place I should stop by and eat while I'm there (will be around Burbank)

like, there's nothing OMG AMAZEBALLS in Burbank, in my opinion, but lots of solid options:

Downtown BUR:
-Market City Caffe for good Italian (go for Lasagne or Bowties with Lamb Ragu)
-the Thai place on Orange Grove has killer lunch specials
-Granville Gourmet has pricey but delicious sandwiches and such
-There's some decent sushi and korean BBQ

Away from downtown but still in Burbank
-TONY'S DARTS AWAY - one of the best IPA bars ever, great food too. Like, don't miss this if you like beers and particularly IPAs. Could probably walk from downtown depending on where you are
-Chili John's is the oldest restaurant in Burbank, it's good in a old-school kind of way

Away from there, but still nearish in terms of bus/car ride:

Studio City / Ventura Blvd / Sushi Row
-Probably the best concentration of sushi restaurants outside of Japan
-Casa Vega - local Mexican hot spot, pricey for what the food is, but the margaritas are good and the vibe is fun
-Umami Burger / The Counter - both on Ventura, these are staples of California burgs.
-Crust Pizza -> brand new pizza joint that's the first North American store of an Australia chain, a bit pricey but non-greasy / well-cooked pizze
-Take a Bao - awesome Bao restaurant / small plates, casual-ish
-Laurel Tavern - great studio city bar with decent food
-Black Market Liqour Tavern - super super pricey, but amazing small plates and great drinks.

If you want LA suggestions, the list opens up a lot. You can also shoot down the 5 freeway and hit the Silverlake / Los Ferliz area

Feep

Banned
As a general note, AX is downtown, so some solid downtown options should also be available for our visiting friend.

Orochon Ramen? I dunno.

Zyzyxxz

So do you want to eat around Burbank or Downtown? They aren't exactly close or convenient by car.

If you want convenient just go to LA Live and eat at either Wolfgang Pucks, The Carvery, or something. If you want something good I would recommend taking the buss to Figueroa and 7th which is a few blocks up north and check out either Bottega Louie (Italian), Mo Chica (Peruvian),

You can also go to Little Tokyo although most of the restaurants suck I'd recommend Shin Sen Gumi for ramen (Don't bother with Daikokuya the food and wait both suck), Lazy Ox for tapas, and Manten for Chinese-Japanese food.

As a general note, AX is downtown, so some solid downtown options should also be available for our visiting friend.

Orochon Ramen? I dunno.

No. Not Orochon. It suck and too much salt. The whole spicy thing is overrated.

Cidfox

Neo Member
You never really appreciate something until you are away from it haha. Going to school in San Antonio, TX has made appreciate LA ALOT more lol. It just sucks that everytime I come back, there are so many changes lol.

I'm actually the exact opposite. I'm from SA,TX and live in LA,CA now. I fucking hate this city lol. I miss TX so much but I'm here for music and well.... it's actually panning out pretty fucking great.

FOR ANYONE REPLYING TO NEGATOR. HE OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T TRUST HIS LODGER (ME) WOULD KNOW SOME AWESOME PLACES TO EAT AFTER LIVING HERE FOR 2 YEARS! I have heard of everything that's been listed so far. I just need to know where I can get one thing. Korean Tacos. Where is the bomb place for that? Alhambra? Let me know. distance is not a problem.

Cidfox

Neo Member
oh and also I can't believe you wouldn't list Porto's Bakery for Burbank food. Maybe it's just me but I fucking love that place. I'm going to def take him to thai town, korean bbq, bay cities deli, the pantry, and wein truck. Has anyone ever tried that Royal T place? It is stupid or awesome?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
oh and also I can't believe you wouldn't list Porto's Bakery for Burbank food. Maybe it's just me but I fucking love that place. I'm going to def take him to thai town, korean bbq, bay cities deli, the pantry, and wein truck. Has anyone ever tried that Royal T place? It is stupid or awesome?

oh shit, how the hell did I forget Porto's... we go there every week

beat

At least in this thread, no one's mentioned Chego yet. Rice bowls & stuff, from the same chef behind Kogi. Actually, the Chego kitchen supplies the Kogi trucks, so that's why they don't have dine-in service at lunch.

Rorschach

I'm actually the exact opposite. I'm from SA,TX and live in LA,CA now. I fucking hate this city lol. I miss TX so much but I'm here for music and well.... it's actually panning out pretty fucking great.

FOR ANYONE REPLYING TO NEGATOR. HE OBVIOUSLY DOESN'T TRUST HIS LODGER (ME) WOULD KNOW SOME AWESOME PLACES TO EAT AFTER LIVING HERE FOR 2 YEARS!

Maybe he wanted advice from people who don't hate the city. :p

Zyzyxxz

At least in this thread, no one's mentioned Chego yet. Rice bowls & stuff, from the same chef behind Kogi. Actually, the Chego kitchen supplies the Kogi trucks, so that's why they don't have dine-in service at lunch.

Chego is much better than the trucks. In fact his restaurants seem to be much better than his truck for the most part.

They started doing takeout for lunch though.

Argyle

Sobriquet

I've been in LA for 15 years now and still miss Austin. Pretty much hated the rest of Texas, though.

FWIW, I love LA. Some areas are very similar to Austin.

SA, TX just feels so slow compared to here. Plus there isnt much of a nightlife compared to here. I also have mixed feels about the music scene in SA,TX. Most of it is ruined by the "HXC" crews trying to be tough shit. Plus of course, alot of my bands skip SA for Austin or Dallas lol. While I dont hate it (easy girls HA xD), I prefer LA. Its going to be my last year in SA so im glad :D

Also, I enjoyed my time in Austin. I wouldnt mind living or going to school there.

Cidfox

Neo Member
SA, TX just feels so slow compared to here. Plus there isnt much of a nightlife compared to here. I also have mixed feels about the music scene in SA,TX. Most of it is ruined by the "HXC" crews trying to be tough shit. Plus of course, alot of my bands skip SA for Austin or Dallas lol. While I dont hate it (easy girls HA xD), I prefer LA. Its going to be my last year in SA so im glad :D

Also, I enjoyed my time in Austin. I wouldnt mind living or going to school there.

Yeah Austin is pretty much the shit. I guess it's just because I was born and raised in SA so really it's my group of friends that make it awesome (Negator is pretty fucking awesome)

Maybe he wanted advice from people who don't hate the city. :p

If there is one thing I do like thought, it's the selection of food. lol I just hate how expensive it is here and how bad the traffic can get.

PG2G

If any of you are on the Westside, make sure you hit up Plan Check on Sawtelle. I'd say it is a best of LA burger contender (probably second on my list). Good cocktails too.

Apparently the new Vietnamese spot that opened up over there is good too, haven't tried it. It is amazing how much good food there is in like a single 2 block strip, I love LA :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What area you looking for, downtown? If so, I'd probably stick with Daikokuya or the relatively new (to DTLA) Shinsen Gumi Hakata Ramen.

Daikokuya it is. I have never been a fan of thinner noodles. I need that bite.

SKINNER!

Banned
Explored Hollywood boulevard all morning and I'm now burnt. I was at the bar at Hard Rock Cafe with two long bearded english biker guys and a transvestite sailor. It was fun checking the place out.Not having a car sure makes life difficult though. Thankfully, I don't have to venture outside the downtown area now. Btw, I'm also in the "no conferences" club :( so I can tag along for drinks.

Sobriquet

For those of you who are near downtown, or in town for E3, some friends are playing at the One-Eyed Gypsy tomorrow night.

Come for the music, stay for the corn dogs and tater tots made with funnel-cake batter.

So I might be getting an internship for Paramount for about 2/3 months. My friend has a place in Studio City but I wanted to know what a modest allowance would be to do stuff in LA?

Mind you, I live in Gainesville Florida so there aren't that many things to do.

Sobriquet

So I might be getting an internship for Paramount for about 2/3 months. My friend has a place in Studio City but I wanted to know what a modest allowance would be to do stuff in LA?

Mind you, I live in Gainesville Florida so there aren't that many things to do.

Like how much random spending cash a month?

Nekobo

More goodness from Zyzyxxz's bar. Thanks for the sliders!

7345586626_99bdd4cef4.jpg

overcast

Any place that's nice for a picnic in the LA area, toward Pasadena? Anything similar to Old Town Pasadena in LA. Want to take my GF on a date. Need a few ideas, we've been through Pasadena plenty. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks a lot.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Any place that's nice for a picnic in the LA area, toward Pasadena? Anything similar to Old Town Pasadena in LA. Want to take my GF on a date. Need a few ideas, we've been through Pasadena plenty. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks a lot.

shoot down and over the hill a bit and hike or drive to Griffith Observatory and eat / hike up there maybe?

Thanks a lot.

Switzer Falls is a most excellent place for a picnic. The trail is easy and fun to follow, and if you feel like it, you can take the trailhead all the way to the swimmin' hole. There's also a great picnic area with built in bbq grills at the start of the trail if you feel like going that route.

Not much like Old Town, but it's close and beautiful and feels many miles away from the city.

Top Bottom