• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

ai chingados! thats what I wanted to hear...thanx for your insight, nintendoll!
:D

ps...sabes si venden los tacos con chile separado o les ponen chile a los tacos despues de ordenarlos..o que...

de nada dude. tienes que pedir los chiles si las quieres encima, si no, te la dan aparte.

edit: It's also a pretty good meat market/deli. Around xmas time, the sell pre-mixed masa for tamales. It's been the secret of my tamales for a couple years now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Forgot to mention I dropped by Chego!

Not impressed with the Tasty Rice. Salad was alright.

Am I missing something?

AniHawk

Grabbed some carne asada and marinated chicken from Larios Meat Market today. Its in West Covina at the corner of Barranca and Arrow Highway. Its as good as advertised. Their guacamole is no joke, either.

Altadena here, by the way.

goddamn, i drive by there all the time (it's out in my neck of the woods, at least, for the next couple of weeks).

gonna be moving out to tustin soon, but not before spending 4 days at work in los angeles.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I had the pork belly bowl and thought it was great. The place is a big flavor bomb but if you are looking for refinement.
I mean it was good, but nothing special to me.

Will probably try something else since its really close to work.

will be checking out spirit house on saturday with my gf and some friends for a little double date. the gf and i will be making the trek from oc so it better be worth it!

quick question:
yelp only shows two pictures of the menu, which from a noob's perspective, looks like there are only 4 things to eat. is that pretty much it?

IMO it's also unbearably hot out there in the summer. Its going to be hot everywhere, mind you, but for some reason the SFV just feels like the worst.

Yeah I'm from Fresno. The heat doesn't bother me.

So where would be the best place to live that is a reasonable driving distance from CSU Northridge?

Yeah I'm from Fresno. The heat doesn't bother me.

So where would be the best place to live that is a reasonable driving distance from CSU Northridge?

CSUN is smack dab in the middle of the SFV, I don't think there is any place in "reasonable driving distance" that would be a substantially different environment.

Northridge isn't a bad place, though. The campus is nice, theres decent places to go eat around there. Its just going to start getting hot as a mutherfugger out there in a couple of weeks LOL.

Edit: here in LA, its really not about driving distance. Drive around enough and nothing really seems "far" anymore. The bigger concern is driving hassle; the amount of street lights, cross traffic, etc. Depending on the area, a relatively close distance can take forever or just drive you nuts by the time you get where you want to go.

CSUN is smack dab in the middle of the SFV, I don't think there is any place in "reasonable driving distance" that would be a substantially different environment.

Northridge isn't a bad place, though. The campus is nice, theres decent places to go eat around there. Its just going to start getting hot as a mutherfugger out there in a couple of weeks LOL.

Edit: here in LA, its really not about driving distance. Drive around enough and nothing really seems "far" anymore. The bigger concern is driving hassle; the amount of street lights, cross traffic, etc. Depending on the area, a relatively close distance can take forever or just drive you nuts by the time you get where you want to go.

That's kind of what I meant. I've never been to SFV. So I have no idea how traffic is around there.

Also, I'll be living in Santa Monica until I find a place of my own. So if any of SM gaf wants to get some drinks let me know.

thirty

Banned
i graduated from CSUN about 11 yrs ago. the neighborhood is great. it feels very safe yet isn't too quiet compared to other comparable colleges in suburbs. plenty of great eating establishments within walking distance from campus; senor sol, california chicken cafe.

traffic from santa monica is hell on earth. the 10/405 freeway intersection i believe is worst in the entire country. so yeah, enjoy SM while you can but you don't want to commute from there for too long.

i graduated from CSUN about 11 yrs ago. the neighborhood is great. it feels very safe yet isn't too quiet compared to other comparable colleges in suburbs. plenty of great eating establishments within walking distance from campus; senor sol, california chicken cafe.

traffic from santa monica is hell on earth. the 10/405 freeway intersection i believe is worst in the entire country. so yeah, enjoy SM while you can but you don't want to commute from there for too long.

Will only be in SM until I find a place around CSUN. Hopefully that is before the semester starts. Some of the places I have seen online would be perfect for me since I don't need much room and won't be having a roommate. Just have to get some finances straightened out because FinAid/Fed Loan didn't cover all of my school stuff.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Yeah when I hear people say go to Chinatown for good Chinese I'm like... WTF. The concentration of Chinese here surpasses anything else in America.

I'd recommend anyone considering coming tonight to not bother coming at all. We're going to have some big ass birthday party full of Latinos who probably don't give a shit about our craft beers (we're going to stock Tecate and Dos Equis just for tonight which we normally don't serve). 120-150+ people and I'm by myself in kitchen.... fun times.

Where/What is the restaurant your work in? I spent 7 days in LA last week, I could have visited. I'm coming back in July, the weekend of the George Lopez special. My customer is covering that. I will be there and studio city for the weekend.

Taking my kid to her first Dodger game next week. It's Hello Kitty Dodger Bobblehead night so I'm sure she's going to dig that. Tickets cost a hell of a lot more than I remember, but then I haven't gone for years. Next time I'll just go for bleacher seats.

And what's up with them running your DL at the stadium, when you just want to buy tickets?

Sobriquet

Taking my kid to her first Dodger game next week. It's Hello Kitty Dodger Bobblehead night so I'm sure she's going to dig that. Tickets cost a hell of a lot more than I remember, but then I haven't gone for years. Next time I'll just go for bleacher seats.

And what's up with them running your DL at the stadium, when you just want to buy tickets?

Hello Kitty night! I might have to go.

rc213

Just the super security implemented after the beating of Bryan Stow.

thirty

Banned
gonna take some out of towners to kbbq ayce this weekend, any recommendations? a decade ago, manna was the place, what are the best places now? a kbbq ayce where the 20 somethings go, even though my friends and I are in our mid 30's.

Zyzyxxz

Where/What is the restaurant your work in? I spent 7 days in LA last week, I could have visited. I'm coming back in July, the weekend of the George Lopez special. My customer is covering that. I will be there and studio city for the weekend.

It's not a restaurant it's a bar in Monterey Park so a bit out of the way from Studio City.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-house-bar-monterey-park?sort_by=date_desc

If you are in Studio City be sure to try Ramen Jinya for lunch if you are into that, their chicken based ramen is great!

gonna take some out of towners to kbbq ayce this weekend, any recommendations? a decade ago, manna was the place, what are the best places now? a kbbq ayce where the 20 somethings go, even though my friends and I are in our mid 30's.

Road to Seoul

Wait til you see the food prices!

(don't eat at Dodger stadium. Then again, kid's first game, so you probably have to do so)

Wait til you see the food prices!

(don't eat at Dodger stadium. Then again, kid's first game, so you probably have to do so)

Yeah shes gotta get a Dodger Dog and some peanuts. Maybe we'll share some nachos too. Dunno what other food stuffs they offer nowadays.

Today's lunch: either Juan's in Baldwin Park or Mr. Pollo in Covina.

So I thought I could just roll up to Pinks hotdog on Saturday night around 10:00 pm and eat.

Wow was I fkn wrong. The line went down the damn street. Ended up going back home and eating cereal.

Is there ever a time in the week that place doesn't have a line 1 mile long? I have lived here for 35 years, and have never eaten there. Go online look at their menu, it is of the gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
So I thought I could just roll up to Pinks hotdog on Saturday night around 10:00 pm and eat.

Wow was I fkn wrong. The line went down the damn street. Ended up going back home and eating cereal.

Is there ever a time in the week that place doesn't have a line 1 mile long? I have lived here for 35 years, and have never eaten there. Go online look at their menu, it is of the gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont believe the hype man. its not as good as you think it is. trust me.

Zyzyxxz

So not worth it. Honestly their hot dogs are actually pretty shitty.

Don't bother. It's really not worth it.

PG2G

Zyzyxxz, thought you'd be interested even though it is pretty far from your area

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/06/ramen_menya-iroha.php

Why is Iroha, a Japanese mini-chain from the city of Toyama, such a big deal? Its claim to fame is winning the people's choice award at the Tokyo Ramen Show in 2009, 2010 and 2011, as well as being one of the most popular stalls in Singapore's Ramen Champion store, a sort of multi-kitchened restaurant that invites six of the most renowned ramen chefs in Japan to compete in a single space. Iroha's ramen is so popular in Japan that the company does brisk business selling an instant version of the soup online.

Non-food alert: There's a cool Halloweeny art show opening this weekend in Burbank (who says nothing interesting happens in Burbank!). It'll feature the work of Rick Baker, among others. A very talented friend of mine is also involved.

http://www.halloweentownstore.com/page/HS/CTGY/3rd_Annual_Haunted_Mansion_Tribute

HM3card_Dbl_Web.gif

A secret benefit of living in the LA is the concentration of amazing TV/film artists who show off their own art at local galleries and events.

Rorschach

That's kind of what I meant. I've never been to SFV. So I have no idea how traffic is around there.

I used to live in SFV. Traffic is not that bad compared to the rest of LA. Especially if you're heading into the SFV in the morning. It's getting out of there in the AM that can be a hassle (or coming in at rush hour in the evening) depending on where you're going, but for the most part, it's not bad. Part of my commute was through CSUN and it's really not that much of a chore if you stay off Victory as much as possible (especially around 8-9-ish).

The campus itself is small, clean. Just got a few new buildings. The surrounding area is not bad. There is plenty of housing for students nearby too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So the Expo Line extension to Culver City finally opened last week (after like a two year delay). I must have been living under a rock or they didn't really do much advertising in the community.

Has anyone ridden this thing into downtown yet or vice-versa? How are transit times?

It's not a restaurant it's a bar in Monterey Park so a bit out of the way from Studio City.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-house-bar-monterey-park?sort_by=date_desc

reposting from previous page:

will be checking out spirit house on saturday with my gf and some friends who live in mpk for a little double date. the gf and i will be making the trek from oc so it better be worth it!

quick question:
yelp only shows two pictures of the menu, which from a noob's perspective, looks like there are only 4 things to eat. is that pretty much it?

beat

So the Expo Line extension to Culver City finally opened last week (after like a two year delay). I must have been living under a rock or they didn't really do much advertising in the community.

Has anyone ridden this thing into downtown yet or vice-versa? How are transit times?
It's faster than the 733 limited stop bus line, but inconvenient enough (long waits between trains) that for me, most times it's just faster to ride the 733.

Zyzyxxz

reposting from previous page:

will be checking out spirit house on saturday with my gf and some friends who live in mpk for a little double date. the gf and i will be making the trek from oc so it better be worth it!

quick question:

no its an old menu there's about 10 items on it now.

Sobriquet

I rode it from downtown to the coliseum. It takes a bit longer through downtown because it occasionally has to stop for traffic. Not a bad ride, though. I'll try to take a trip to Culver sometime soon.

Argyle

DEAR LAWD I hadn't heard of this! Thanks for telling me! I will be there probably Friday for lunch before work.

Hopefully I can leave from SGV and get back before work.

My ramen to-eat list is growing too much.

Have you made it to Hayatemaru yet? It's a chain from Hokkaido:
http://www.laweekly.com/2012-06-28/eat-drink/ramen-hayatemaru-torrance-review-besha-rodell/

I tried it a few weeks back, it was pretty good. I think they were out of gyoza when I went, though. :(

Top Bottom