• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Switzer Falls is a most excellent place for a picnic. The trail is easy and fun to follow, and if you feel like it, you can take the trailhead all the way to the swimmin' hole. There's also a great picnic area with built in bbq grills at the start of the trail if you feel like going that route.

Not much like Old Town, but it's close and beautiful and feels many miles away from the city.

Thumbs up for this - great hike

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I'm coming to LA next week as well. Going to be seeing customers all day but nightime appears to be open. Zyxxzix has a bar now?

JEKKI

whooo wooo~!! any1 got any good ayce kbbq recommendations??

Im from OC so the only place in LA I kno is Manna in Lil Tokyo...

Im lookin for a place to goto for father's day!!!

Zyzyxxz

I'm coming to LA next week as well. Going to be seeing customers all day but nightime appears to be open. Zyxxzix has a bar now?

Not owner but chef/cook of it.

All you can eat or no? For AYCE go Road to Seoul.

For a la carte quality go Park's.

Argyle

Too late for Father's Day but I second Road to Seoul. If you're in Rowland Heights I like Korea House. If you're in Orange County there is Cham Sut Gol in Garden Grove (which comes with ice cream at the end of the meal!)...

bluemax

Banned
At least in this thread, no one's mentioned Chego yet. Rice bowls & stuff, from the same chef behind Kogi. Actually, the Chego kitchen supplies the Kogi trucks, so that's why they don't have dine-in service at lunch.

I ate there for dinner with a friend once. The pork belly bowl is pretty good.

I think the best place these guys run is the A-Frame. Beer can chicken and a smoked porter ice cream sandwich nom nom nom.

Also I finally tried Umami at the new Umamicatessen downtown. Good burger but super soggy bun.

Any recommendations for a nice lunch celebration (but not like $30 lunch expensive) in West LA?

Check out the aforementioned A-Frame.

PG2G

Jinya opened up on Sawtelle recently too. Anyone tried their other location? So much ramen in one little place, lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
Has anyone ever tried that Royal T place? It is stupid or awesome?
A bit late but, unless you are interested in avant garde art, or experiencing the concept of the maid cafe as commentary on the normative juxaposed the extreme in Japanese culture, there's really nothing to note. The food is expensive yet mediocre, atmosphere spartan, and worst of all, the 'maids' don't even wear French maid outfits.

JEKKI

All you can eat or no? For AYCE go Road to Seoul.

For a la carte quality go Park's.
ahh thanks lol.

we ended up not even going anywhere =P my mom was sick and my dad had work.

o well. @_@

Too late for Father's Day but I second Road to Seoul. If you're in Rowland Heights I like Korea House. If you're in Orange County there is Cham Sut Gol in Garden Grove (which comes with ice cream at the end of the meal!)...
yeay Cham Sut Gol!! I live hella close to there,

which means tho that my mom n dad live hella far... they dont even visit me lol.

if they ever came tho yup I kno the spot!!

also sum1 mentioned A-Frame... I wanna go there!!

went to Chego once... bleh!

Zyzyxxz

Jinya opened up on Sawtelle recently too. Anyone tried their other location? So much ramen in one little place, lol

Been to their Studio City location, the pork is good but nowhere near Tsujita but they have an amazing chicken based ramen! One of the few excellent chicken based broths in this city which is currently obessed with pork.

Also if anyone is into beer we are having an event, Bootleggers is taking over some of our taps and introducing a new beer at our bar. Did I mention there may be some free beer as well?

http://www.ratebeer.com/event/17806/spirit-house-tap-takeover-bootleggers-brewery/

also sum1 mentioned A-Frame... I wanna go there!!
!

I want to go back again too.. but none of my friends are foodies =(

Nert

I recently moved from Colorado to Camarillo (near CSU Channel Islands) and I'm really enjoying it here. I know that it doesn't count as LA, but it's close, I guess :p

otake

Well, I'm in LA and going crazy trying to figure out where I would live. I can't figure out what the best location is.

I'm hoping to visit 5600 wilshire, aqua marina del rey apartment homes.

This place is so big.

beat

Well, I'm in LA and going crazy trying to figure out where I would live. I can't figure out what the best location is.
Pick somewhere near work. I do not understand people who drive an hour or more each way, every day, to work.

otake

Pick somewhere near work. I do not understand people who drive an hour or more each way, every day, to work.

This is part of my problem. I would be working from home but often driving to see customers who are all over LA. I've got customers in Studio City, Burbank, Culver, West Hills and Downtown LA.

Zyzyxxz

This is part of my problem. I would be working from home but often driving to see customers who are all over LA. I've got customers in Studio City, Burbank, Culver, West Hills and Downtown LA.

I'd say try West LA? Culver City or the Pico Robertson?

thirty

Banned
let's hit up these SGV joints

http://asiasociety.org/blog/asia/best-chinese-restaurants-america-are-they-all-california

120620_chinese%20restaurants_1.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Are you volunteering to spearhead the next meetup? :)

I still haven't made it to Zyzyxxz's bar, I'd be down for a meetup there if nothing else :)

Well unfortunately the only meetup I could attend would be if it were for lunch or for a Sunday or Monday night since those are the only nights I get off.

Otherwise our bar has been picking up good weekend business. Rather slow weekdays though but the crowd is mostly Asian if you are into that n'aww mean?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well unfortunately the only meetup I could attend would be if it were for lunch or for a Sunday or Monday night since those are the only nights I get off.

Otherwise our bar has been picking up good weekend business. Rather slow weekdays though but the crowd is mostly Asian if you are into that n'aww mean?
Hope you had a good night. Will try to catch you later.

I live in Alhambra :p 5 of these places are within a 10 minute drive of where I live, but I've only ate at one (Noodle express). When people say they have some pretty good asian cuisine where they live I'm always first to reply they ain't seen nothing yet until they come around here :D

Argyle

Maybe dim sum would be a good meet up?

Zyzyxxz

I live in Alhambra :p 5 of these places are within a 10 minute drive of where I live, but I've only ate at one (Noodle express). When people say they have some pretty good asian cuisine where they live I'm always first to reply they ain't seen nothing yet until they come around here :D

Yeah when I hear people say go to Chinatown for good Chinese I'm like... WTF. The concentration of Chinese here surpasses anything else in America.

Hope you had a good night. Will try to catch you later.

I'd recommend anyone considering coming tonight to not bother coming at all. We're going to have some big ass birthday party full of Latinos who probably don't give a shit about our craft beers (we're going to stock Tecate and Dos Equis just for tonight which we normally don't serve). 120-150+ people and I'm by myself in kitchen.... fun times.

Hey guys, does anybody have recommendations for spots that have good, mexican carnitas, made the "traditional" way? In the copper pan or whatever, cooked in the pork fat, then with the milk mixed in later and the other seasonings.

I have just realized, I don't think I have had any made that way.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah when I hear people say go to Chinatown for good Chinese I'm like... WTF. The concentration of Chinese here surpasses anything else in America.

I'd recommend anyone considering coming tonight to not bother coming at all. We're going to have some big ass birthday party full of Latinos who probably don't give a shit about our craft beers (we're going to stock Tecate and Dos Equis just for tonight which we normally don't serve). 120-150+ people and I'm by myself in kitchen.... fun times.
Yeah, part of it was me figuring there would be a ton of people there.
I'll give you a heads up when I think I can swing by.

Al-ibn Kermit

Just got back from a SoCal trip visiting family in LA and doing some touristy things. My brother also drove around the areas near USC in East LA to look for apartments. I thought LA was supposed to be super spread out, but it seems like you can drive a few blocks and go from a pretty clean area to somewhere totally ghetto. I think taht I myself would actually like living in such a culturally different area but it does seem a bit scary if you're the only non-hispanic person in a 100% latino neighborhood, plus you have to learn Spanish since every single shop sign and billboard was in Spanish (not exaggerating).

I think that LA has parts that are really cool, fake, or scary but the worst thing is the constant hazy weather due to the smog. It makes a clear day look overcast. I'm so glad to be back in the Bay Area but I may have to go back for a wedding in a couple months since I am Iranian and therefore obligated to go to at least one obscene wedding every Summer.

harSon

Banned
Just had a troubling call from my oldest brother. He's been the family fuck up to put it simply, and due to some trouble he got into where I live now (San Jose, CA), we had to send him away to some family in LA where he could get drug treatment and be separated from people who wanted to harm.

Anyways, we haven't heard from him since he failed to make it down to Santa Cruz for my college graduation last Saturday, doing God knows what with the $100+ greyhound ticket my dad purchased for him to make it. I got an apology call from him earlier today, and then he went on to explain his living situation which doesn't sound too good.

My brother is known to exaggerate things, but I do know areas in Los Angeles can be pretty fucking bad, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Hyde Park? He lives on Brynhurst Ave specifically.

beat

Dude, I come from Vancouver, so...

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Just got back from a SoCal trip visiting family in LA and doing some touristy things. My brother also drove around the areas near USC in East LA to look for apartments. I thought LA was supposed to be super spread out, but it seems like you can drive a few blocks and go from a pretty clean area to somewhere totally ghetto. I think taht I myself would actually like living in such a culturally different area but it does seem a bit scary if you're the only non-hispanic person in a 100% latino neighborhood, plus you have to learn Spanish since every single shop sign and billboard was in Spanish (not exaggerating).

I think that LA has parts that are really cool, fake, or scary but the worst thing is the constant hazy weather due to the smog. It makes a clear day look overcast. I'm so glad to be back in the Bay Area but I may have to go back for a wedding in a couple months since I am Iranian and therefore obligated to go to at least one obscene wedding every Summer.

Just because signs are in spanish doesn't mean they won't understand you in english. Go inside and see for yourself next time.

Also, since you're persian, I think you'd mix well with my fellow hispanics especially persian women...I've met/befriended some persian women in college who have that hispanic female look (I mean it in a good attractive way) to them and can easily pass off as mexican/hispanic women in the general public.
:D

Al-ibn Kermit

Just because signs are in spanish doesn't mean they won't understand you in english. Go inside and see for yourself next time.

Also, since you're persian, I think you'd mix well with my fellow hispanics especially persian women...I've met/befriended some persian women in college who have that hispanic female look (I mean it in a good attractive way) to them and can easily pass off as mexican/hispanic women in the general public.

I could easily pass off as hispanic, which makes learning fluent Spanish an even better idea. I guess scary was a bad word choice, but I would be worried about being isolated or lonely.

Zyzyxxz

Hey guys, does anybody have recommendations for spots that have good, mexican carnitas, made the "traditional" way? In the copper pan or whatever, cooked in the pork fat, then with the milk mixed in later and the other seasonings.

I have just realized, I don't think I have had any made that way.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-cinco-puntos-los-angeles

Not sure if they are made that way but they are considered one of the best tacos in America by Seriouseats.

Verano

I could easily pass off as hispanic, which makes learning fluent Spanish an even better idea. I guess scary was a bad word choice, but I would be worried about being isolated or lonely.

Only at night bro. :D

Not sure if they are made that way but they are considered one of the best tacos in America by Seriouseats.

I've been hearing a lot of talk about 5 puntos lately...gonna go there sometime next week and get me some tacos de asada.

This place is so legit. The tamales are exceptional, especially the chile verde and sweet corn ones.

Tacos are on par with ones I used to enjoy in Mexico. Fresh, hand-made tortillas, and everything from buche to tripas to lengua and everything in between.

Place does tend to get hella packed but it's worth the wait and worth it for the experience.

Truly a piece of California's gold. [/huelhowser]

Grabbed some carne asada and marinated chicken from Larios Meat Market today. Its in West Covina at the corner of Barranca and Arrow Highway. Its as good as advertised. Their guacamole is no joke, either.

Altadena here, by the way.

Verano

This place is so legit. The tamales are exceptional, especially the chile verde and sweet corn ones.
Tacos are on par with ones I used to enjoy in Mexico. Fresh, hand-made tortillas, and everything from buche to tripas to lengua and everything in between.
[/huelhowser]

ai chingados! thats what I wanted to hear...thanx for your insight, nintendoll!

ps...sabes si venden los tacos con chile separado o les ponen chile a los tacos despues de ordenarlos..o que...

Top Bottom