• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Just got redirected here from my thread about going to Pasadena..already have a few suggestions on things to do but was looking for some real help on traveling throughout Pasadena and LA, I know we'd like to do a day trip to Venice beach can anyone help me out should we take a cab or is the subway or bus an easier option really could use some help, thanks.

Just got redirected here from my thread about going to Pasadena..already have a few suggestions on things to do but was looking for some real help on traveling throughout Pasadena and LA, I know we'd like to do a day trip to Venice beach can anyone help me out should we take a cab or is the subway or bus an easier option really could use some help, thanks.

IMO, Venice Beach is lame and is just for tourists to see. I'd rather go to Santa Monica Pier, which is the same as far as touristy goes, but at least you can ride something or play carnival games.

However, you need a car. Pasadena to Venice (or SMP which is next door so you can do both) is going to be an hour drive during most hours. Bus would take forever, subway won't cut it, and a cab would be expensive as hell.

Zyzyxxz

lol public transport? Stereotypes are true here man you need a car. Although Venice Beach does have a nice vibe and you can check out Abbot Kinney for their hipster scene but you need a car nonetheless.

There are no "subways" that even get conveniently close to there. Buses maybe but you could be looking at 2 hours each way. Also try to go on a weekend to avoid traffic.

beat

lol public transport? Stereotypes are true here man you need a car. Although Venice Beach does have a nice vibe and you can check out Abbot Kinney for their hipster scene but you need a car nonetheless.

There are no "subways" that even get conveniently close to there. Buses maybe but you could be looking at 2 hours each way. Also try to go on a weekend to avoid traffic.

Also, I think a cab from Pasadena to Venice Beach and back would cost more than just renting a car for a day.

There is public transit - light rail and buses. According to Google Maps, the trip will take two hours. Good luck! =P

You could take the bus to Venice. Theres a line that takes the freeway into downtown, from there you can take the Venice line all the way down to the beach. Its not a bad way to see the heart of the city, to be perfectly honest.

On the other hand, it would take a couple of hours. Eff that. Rent or borrow a car. Time saved is better spent at your destination.

Get down to Venice, where I spent my ditch days way back in high school. Rent a bike, ride it up to Santa Monica (or just walk along the beach, its not that far). Check out the pier, 3rd street, all that good stuff.

Just get out of Venice before it gets too dark. Its great during the day but at night its definitely GTFO time. Find a nice place to eat and chill for a while until traffic dies down.

As stated in your other thread, defintely check out JPL and Caltech. Griffith Park is nice too, and not that far away. A couple of good local joints to eat at are Daisy Mint (Thai) and Dog Haus. At night theres an awesome taco truck at Fairoaks and California. Someone mentioned a $3 dollar theatre: Its called The Academy and they get films right after the major theatres have had their run. Next to the Academy is The Gourmet Cobbler Factory. It sounds fancy but its a hole in the wall and if you like cobblers, you must try one.

What else..... In n Out on Foothill. Tops Burger on Colorado. Old Town is cool for hanging out at night. Its a chill city and I think you'll enjoy your time here.

Just discovered this awesome place: Golden Road Brewery

It's on the border of Burbank/Glendale on San Fernando Blvd. They make a mad decent IPA, and the sandwich I had (prosciutto and herbed goat cheese with fig compote) was very good as well. Taproom is open 7 days a week, it's open air and perfect for day drinking in the summer.

Just get out of Venice before it gets too dark. Its great during the day but at night its definitely GTFO time. Find a nice place to eat and chill for a while until traffic dies down.

This. Last time I went to show a friend around, it was even sketchy during the day (a Tuesday afternoon). Anticipate a lot of people begging, especially younger ones.

Zyzyxxz

Just discovered this awesome place: Golden Road Brewery

It's on the border of Burbank/Glendale on San Fernando Blvd. They make a mad decent IPA, and the sandwich I had (prosciutto and herbed goat cheese with fig compote) was very good as well. Taproom is open 7 days a week, it's open air and perfect for day drinking in the summer.

Yup we serve their beer too, good stuff.

so i went to spirit house on saturday. will probably yelp this soon.

food and drinks were superb.

bartenders/service/vibe, lacking.

thanks for letting me know about Iroha Ramen! me and a friend made a mad dash from Van Nuys to Gardena and we BARELY made it before they closed. the Black Ramen is so good!

Zyzyxxz

thanks for letting me know about Iroha Ramen! me and a friend made a mad dash from Van Nuys to Gardena and we BARELY made it before they closed. the Black Ramen is so good!

I was there today around noon. Tried it too, was really good. A nice break from the typical tonkotsu pork based broths.

Do you guys ever leave LA? I just wonder because I live in Palm Springs, and I'm always more excited to leave than to get there.

I make it a point to skip town every couple of months, but by the end of my trip I'm always glad to be back. I've got some pretty serious love for this city.

Also, I'm super excited about fireworks tomorrow!

The Dodger game on Sunday was pretty cool. The kid still doesn't understand anything about baseball, but there were stolen bases, costly errors on both teams, crucial hits, plenty of reasons to cheer and boo. She got hyped when the crowd was hyped, and when they weren't....she could eat and mess with her coloring book. :) The Hello Kitty Bobblehead was pretty cool too.

I realized how much I missed going to baseball games. The atmosphere was so friendly, so family, so chill. Food wasn't tooooo overpriced either, except for that damned "zebra" gourmet popcorn. The kid sees it and wants a bag. Yo boss, we'll take one. How much?

EIGHT DOLLARS?! Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.........

PG2G

Have the day off so going to head to Menya Iroha for lunch :)

For the folks that have been, black shoyu or the chicken one?

Zyzyxxz

Have the day off so going to head to Menya Iroha for lunch :)

For the folks that have been, black shoyu or the chicken one?

black shoyu is their signature but I havent tried any of the others, I would skip the cha-shu bun, nothing special about it.

PG2G

I had the Black Shoyu and got to finish my friends White Chicken. Loved the Black Shoyu, thought the White Chicken was pretty good, but definitely wouldn't do it for a ramen craving.

Their portions are tiny though. I normally can't finish the soup of an entire bowl of ramen. I finished this and felt like i'd be hungry again in 30 minutes.

naku

Hello guys! I'm a newbie in Gaf, and because I'm a Junior, I can't make a new thread. Also I couldn't find any better place to put this post.

Okay, so, I live in Finland and I'm not very old, still in high school. Exactly in four weeks, I'll leave Finland behind and live a year out there as an exchange student. I got placed to Oxnard. I know it's not the same county as Los Angeles is, but still quite near next to it. I would like to have some advises what to do and experience out there during that year. I mostly do sports and photography.
Thanks in advance.

TheTowel

Hello guys! I'm a newbie in Gaf, and because I'm a Junior, I can't make a new thread. Also I couldn't find any better place to put this post.

Okay, so, I live in Finland and I'm not very old, still in high school. Exactly in four weeks, I'll leave Finland behind and live a year out there as an exchange student. I got placed to Oxnard. I know it's not the same county as Los Angeles is, but still quite near next to it. I would like to have some advises what to do and experience out there during that year. I mostly do sports and photography.
Thanks in advance.

Trip out to Santa Monica might be in play. You got the beaches, the beach city vibe, and there are some great hiking trails in the nearby mountains. Good view of Los Angeles for photography. Sports? Dodger Stadium. And you got some great food right near Dodger Stadium - Phillipes. Can't go wrong.

tenchir

I found this, just shows you how big LA is.

303679_10151078446867664_1598207660_n.jpg

FStop7

Banned
LA-GAF, now that the glorious days of summer are here I wanted to bring the idea back up regarding a beach day / meet up in Malibu. I live by Westward beach would be glad to have people over. I have plenty of space with a nice view, a deck, etc. It's about a 2 minute drive or a 5 minute walk to the beach, I'd recommend driving since the walk back up is steep.

The weather here is typical June Gloom, it's cloudy until around lunch time and then it's gorgeous.

The only two catches are:

1) The parking is limited. There's room for one or two guest vehicles, and street parking is illegal. They will tow you if you park on the street, even if you're completely off the curb. I found out the hard way. The solution would be to park down in the pay lot at the beach and then someone else can pick you up. Beach parking is $8 for the day.

2) I have a cat. So if you're allergic keep that in mind.

That said, if we spend most of our time down at the beach it doesn't really matter.

Zyzyxxz

LA-GAF, now that the glorious days of summer are here I wanted to bring the idea back up regarding a beach day / meet up in Malibu. I live by Westward beach would be glad to have people over. I have plenty of space with a nice view, a deck, etc. It's about a 2 minute drive or a 5 minute walk to the beach, I'd recommend driving since the walk back up is steep.

The weather here is typical June Gloom, it's cloudy until around lunch time and then it's gorgeous.

The only two catches are:

1) The parking is limited. There's room for one or two guest vehicles, and street parking is illegal. They will tow you if you park on the street, even if you're completely off the curb. I found out the hard way. The solution would be to park down in the pay lot at the beach and then someone else can pick you up. Beach parking is $8 for the day.

2) I have a cat. So if you're allergic keep that in mind.

That said, if we spend most of our time down at the beach it doesn't really matter.

I'd be down if it wasn't for the fact that I work nights tuesday thru saturday.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I can't believe that map.

Although.. it looks be more of a comparison between LA county and individual cities, not their respective counties (but the SF comparison works I think)? LA county just seems like one giant sprawled out city anyways.

I can't believe that map.

Although.. it looks be more of a comparison between LA county and individual cities, not their respective counties (but the SF comparison works I think)? LA county just seems like one giant sprawled out city anyways.

That is an accurate map of LA City. LA County is HUGE! Everything from Lancaster/Palmdale to Diamond Bar/Pomona is 100% LA County.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, you're going to be fairly close to both Malibu and Santa Barbara. Whoever placed you out there must really like you. Prepare for fun.

Yeah, I looked up where the LA County Fair is going to be...

it's insanely far away. =(

Metrolink, which should run from Oxnard, down to union station, then straight to Pomona. Won't even take that long.

Whether or not the Fair is worth going to, is another story :)

Top Bottom