• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

beat

Metrolink, which should run from Oxnard, down to union station, then straight to Pomona. Won't even take that long.

Whether or not the Fair is worth going to, is another story :)

Oh, OK, then. I'd probably go just because I've never been to any county fair before.

Zyzyxxz

Oh, OK, then. I'd probably go just because I've never been to any county fair before.

You will be severely disappointed. Maybe the fairs were nice to go years back but it's just a big giant carnival where things are super pricey. Not worth the heat and sweat. And it's the exact same as the shitty OC Fair as well.

I'll take the kids this year, but I'll minimize my chances of getting stabbed by going during the week. The weekends are an absolute no go.

Jzero

You will be severely disappointed. Maybe the fairs were nice to go years back but it's just a big giant carnival where things are super pricey. Not worth the heat and sweat. And it's the exact same as the shitty OC Fair as well.
$10 Hot dogs +$5 Drink

naku

Thank you guys! Seems like I'll have to spend time on beaches and take lots of photos from sunsets. I'll going to have a really nice time out there. But still three and a half weeks left. Can't wait!

Cimarron

I am going to be staying at the Standard on sunset blvd from this friday the 13th to sunday the 22nd. Any suggestions on fun stuff to do around there? I like touristy stuff but I am a big fan of dace clubs and lounges.

thirty

Banned
I am going to be staying at the Standard on sunset blvd from this friday the 13th to sunday the 22nd. Any suggestions on fun stuff to do around there? I like touristy stuff but I am a big fan of dace clubs and lounges.
there are bars and clubs all over sunset blvd and neighboring hollywood blvd. go west and there's santa monica, there are also bars and clubs there and of course the beach. if you wanna look at more attractive females, they're in zuma beach about 15 mins north of sanmo. go to koreatown for some all you can eat bbq, road to seoul was recommended to me in this thread and i enjoyed the experience there. downtown area is also booming with great restaurants, bars, and clubs. i also enjoy colorado blvd in old town pasadena. i also suggest taking the subway as you can visit many locales without the trouble of taxi and/or parking.

Help LA GAF...I have guests coming in Friday night from out of town and am in need of a good restaurant recommendation around West LA-downtown LA area along with a nice and chill hang out spot after (fairly quiet ambiance).

Zyzyxxz

Help LA GAF...I have guests coming in Friday night from out of town and am in need of a good restaurant recommendation around West LA-downtown LA area along with a nice and chill hang out spot after (fairly quiet ambiance).

What kind of food? Waterloo & City and A-Frame both in Culver City have good food and they are next to each other as well.

What kind of food? Waterloo & City and A-Frame both in Culver City have good food and they are next to each other as well.

I was planning on going to Primitivo in Venice as my friends and I used to go to there frequently
At year but apparently according to yelp, they changed chefs, menus and raised their prices which has resulted in their food quality to drop significantly according to Yelp.

What's something. "distinctly" LA to do on short notice this Friday night?

Zyzyxxz

I need to swing by sometime this week.
What's a good day?

Not Saturday at least going to be some b-day party with the type of crowd that wants "that kind of music".

I was planning on going to Primitivo in Venice as my friends and I used to go to there frequently
At year but apparently according to yelp, they changed chefs, menus and raised their prices which has resulted in their food quality to drop significantly according to Yelp.

What's something. "distinctly" LA to do on short notice this Friday night?

Get reservations at Gjelina on Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach? GQ recently awarded Abbot Kinney *eyeroll* "Coolest Street in America".

Not Saturday at least going to be some b-day party with the type of crowd that wants "that kind of music".

Get reservations at Gjelina on Abbot Kinney in Venice Beach? GQ recently awarded Abbot Kinney *eyeroll* "Coolest Street in America".

Hmmm....Thanks, Gjelina sounds interesting...I'll try to get reservations...If there are any other suggestions, they are much appreciated..

is there any rock en espanol bars here in LA? like Live bands... no club music or anything of that sort.

Senor Fish in Little Tokyo used to have rock en espanol night on the 2nd Saturday of each month. They would have a live band in front and pop en espanol with a dance floor in the back, made for a great mix of people. They would also have a lonchera parked in the back for all your taco needs <3

Senor Fish, they don't seem to be updating the calendar as well as they used to, but keep a look out, all the bands I've seen play here have been decent at the very least.

I think the best way to keep in the know about this kind of stuff is to check in the LA Weekly... and if you hear of anything good, let me know :p

Hey guys I made my own thread abotu visiting LA at the end of the month, but I'll also ask here what's the best food (places to eat under $20) in Glendale and downtown LA?

Also, I really need a good deal on a rental car, is there a "cheaper" place I can rent a car for a week? any dinky small (compact) domestic vehicle will do.

kIdMuScLe

Senor Fish in Little Tokyo used to have rock en espanol night on the 2nd Saturday of each month. They would have a live band in front and pop en espanol with a dance floor in the back, made for a great mix of people. They would also have a lonchera parked in the back for all your taco needs <3

Senor Fish, they don't seem to be updating the calendar as well as they used to, but keep a look out, all the bands I've seen play here have been decent at the very least.

I think the best way to keep in the know about this kind of stuff is to check in the LA Weekly... and if you hear of anything good, let me know :p

ahh thanks! i'll keep a look out for Senor Fish. Hmm... guess i'm going to take my girl to this place on friday night since she found it even though is close to what she is looking for but oh well...

http://www.hullygully.net/index.html

it cooled down considerably after a while, but it was one of those rare gross and muggy days in LA. Mid 80's or so.

I'd die for that right now.

gFV7B.jpg

It's fucking muggy here too.

Hi LA-GAF!
My girlfriend and I are looking to go to LA next month (somewhere between August 11-15).
We were going to drive there but I think we're gonna end up flying...

The question is, how hard would it have to be getting around with public transportation?

I want to check out USC, maybe some other film schools. Maybe K-Town, but we're really up for anything.

Also: I was wondering what the best way is to get to San Diego cheap/fast.

Hi LA-GAF!
My girlfriend and I are looking to go to LA next month (somewhere between August 11-15).
We were going to drive there but I think we're gonna end up flying...

The question is, how hard would it have to be getting around with public transportation?

I want to check out USC, maybe some other film schools. Maybe K-Town, but we're really up for anything.

Also: I was wondering what the best way is to get to San Diego cheap/fast.

Rent a car. SoCal is terrible without a car.

You could take the train from downtown LA to San Diego. It's not expensive. But you'd need a car when you get there (2 hour drive or under at the right time).

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anybody experiencin rain around their area? shit was pourin a cool minute and then stopped. weird weather...2012?

Hey guys I made my own thread abotu visiting LA at the end of the month, but I'll also ask here what's the best food (places to eat under $20) in Glendale and downtown LA?

Also, I really need a good deal on a rental car, is there a "cheaper" place I can rent a car for a week? any dinky small (compact) domestic vehicle will do.

Downtown LA, Phillipes, East Side Market and The Pantry.

if it happens, I wanna be alongside with all of LA-GAF drinkin hooengaarden and doing jelly shots off of Rewrites chest til the end
rewrites a freaky dicky like that?
0e3.png

we should totally rent out the U.S. Bank Tower and throw a rave party. just like in independence day.
"welcome to earf motherfuckers!"

edit:lightning! someone hold me.

thirty

Banned
ahh thanks! i'll keep a look out for Senor Fish. Hmm... guess i'm going to take my girl to this place on friday night since she found it even though is close to what she is looking for but oh well...

http://www.hullygully.net/index.html

never been to hully gully on a friday but i've been there on saturdays where both club rooms are all 80's. it's a damn blast, if you're into 80's. we're talking non stop 80's. freestyle, new wave, etc. they'll have michael jackson impersonators, depeche mode tribute bands, the smiths, etc. it's the only pure 80's club in all of LA now that club 1984 at the monte christo has ended. latino crowd mostly while the club itself seems to be run by the aryan nation, everyone is very cool though.

In order of importance: Porto's, Victoria's Tacos, Mamita's Peruvian, Mario's Deli, El Buen Gusto (technically in Atwater Vilage), and just about every "Mediterranean/Armenian/Middle Eastern" joint in town. Hmm, there's more good eats in Glendale than I actually realized.

Zyzyxxz

LOL... wait you aren't kidding? Some stereotypes are true man and in LA no one walks.

Well the problem with our public transportation is that you have to live here to use it efficiently. It's not like Chicago where I came for the first time and used Google maps easily. This place will drive you insane.

Better have a drivers license.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
LOL... wait you aren't kidding? Some stereotypes are true man and in LA no one walks.

Well the problem with our public transportation is that you have to live here to use it efficiently. It's not like Chicago where I came for the first time and used Google maps easily. This place will drive you insane.

Better have a drivers license.

lies. ever been in huntington park?

beat

It's possible to use transit.

* figure it'll take an hour to get anywhere w/in 10 miles, 1.5-2 hours for say, 15-20 miles. (Wow, I guess that sounds bad, but you don't have to go that far to find something worthwhile.)

* make heavy use of Google Maps on your smartphone to plan routes, and be sure to check earlier and later trips too.

* use Nextrip (nextbus.com) to get more accurate info on when the next bus is coming.

* listen to music. It makes transit feel less slow.

In order of importance: Porto's, Victoria's Tacos, Mamita's Peruvian, Mario's Deli, El Buen Gusto (technically in Atwater Vilage), and just about every "Mediterranean/Armenian/Middle Eastern" joint in town. Hmm, there's more good eats in Glendale than I actually realized.

Awesome, so all these places are located within Glendale? I need to write these down so I wont forget.

Speaking of car rentals, what's the best/cheapest place to rent a car in LA, in advance?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just saw you are open Tues-Sat? I'm leaving the country Tues so I guess I'll hit you up when I come back.

Also, I'm planning on taking a friend to 'Ramen Menya Iroha' Saturday. Anything I should know there? Hours?

Awesome, so all these places are located within Glendale? I need to write these down so I wont forget.

Speaking of car rentals, what's the best/cheapest place to rent a car in LA, in advance?

They are indeed, a quick search should give location and business hours in a flash, and depending on what part of town you'll be in you could probably walk it to several of the places I mentioned.

As far as car rentals go, check out Rent-a-Wreck. They're on the westside but they offer pickup from LAX, yelp seems to love them, and I rented a Chevy from them for a week when my car was in the shop. I think I paid $130 for the week, with insurance.

Zyzyxxz

Just saw you are open Tues-Sat? I'm leaving the country Tues so I guess I'll hit you up when I come back.

Also, I'm planning on taking a friend to 'Ramen Menya Iroha' Saturday. Anything I should know there? Hours?

I think they close early since it's inside a grocery store, Yelp says 7:30pm, 6:30 on Sundays.

Go for the #1 black ramen it's their signature and I think it was complex yet light despite how deceivingly dark the broth is. Also it's not pork fat based so it won't need a dose of Lipitor to cancel it out.

Top Bottom