• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Karram

So I'll be staying in LA for about 6-7 month, and I'm wondering which places should stay at ? I did a little search and it seems like Santa Monica, Los Feliz or Westside are really nice.

I've never been to LA, but I've been to San Francisco and I loved that how pedestrian friendly the city is, I've never used any transport since restaurants, groceries, shops etc were always in a walking distance. So any place in LA similar to SF would be great. Also a friendly and safe community would be even better.

beat

So I'll be staying in LA for about 6-7 month, and I'm wondering which places should stay at ? I did a little search and it seems like Santa Monica, Los Feliz or Westside are really nice.

I've never been to LA, but I've been to San Francisco and I loved that how pedestrian friendly the city is, I've never used any transport since restaurants, groceries, shops etc were always in a walking distance. So any place in LA similar to SF would be great. Also a friendly and safe community would be even better.
LA is flatter than SF, but otherwise a lot less walkable. You can check various addresses at walkscore.com, I guess.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Check out cities on the east side such as alhambra, pasadena, San Marino and Arcadia too as you come mangz.

Karram

My budget is pretty flexible, but I forgot to mention that I need the place to be close to Santa Monica, and by close I mean it's about 30 minutes by car away from it.

I'd like to have good restaurants around my location or just nice places to just sit at and do some work on my laptop. Also a nice and friendly neighborhood would be amazing. The more it's like SF the better.

What I don't want though is having to get in the car whenever I want to get something to eat or drink.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think they close early since it's inside a grocery store, Yelp says 7:30pm, 6:30 on Sundays.

Go for the #1 black ramen it's their signature and I think it was complex yet light despite how deceivingly dark the broth is. Also it's not pork fat based so it won't need a dose of Lipitor to cancel it out.
So I tried the Black Ramen and sampled the White Ramen from my friend.

Having eaten at Tsujita with their savory fatty pork broth and meat I found the slices of pork to taste as good, but thinner and the meat section more lean. Liked Tsujita's better.

On the broth and the noodles I appreciated the much more mild flavor of the chicken stock and black broth. I am not a big soy sauce fan but it was a nice meal and the white soup felt like it would be a great thing to have every once in a while.

Overall I like Tsujita better, but I'm glad I went. Plus I did some asain mart shopping while I was there.

*Sample photo from flickr
WKTXg.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Stay in Santa Monica, you can get around by bus there and as long as you stay within Santa Monica you are good. Or you can stay in Culver City where there is not a metro line and you can use it to get to Downtown back and forth while having to drive to Santa Monica which is 15 minutes away (no traffic) - could be more than 30 mins with traffic.

Such a beautiful city to drive by.

And that's all there is great about it. Barely any restaurants, places to hang out, shop, do stuff and overly aggressive cops that will pull you over if you look like "those people". It's just a rich suburb full of Chinese and Taiwanese 1% that have too much money for their own good. Even Arcadia in comparison seems so much more exciting and I hate it here.

My budget is pretty flexible, but I forgot to mention that I need the place to be close to Santa Monica, and by close I mean it's about 30 minutes by car away from it.

I'd like to have good restaurants around my location or just nice places to just sit at and do some work on my laptop. Also a nice and friendly neighborhood would be amazing. The more it's like SF the better.

What I don't want though is having to get in the car whenever I want to get something to eat or drink.

I think your best bet is the area around Culver City and the Palms district. My sense of it is that area represents the best balance in cost of living, not too expensive and not too far from your base in Santa Monica. Of course, SM itself might be ideal but the rents out there can be ridiculous.

Your border should be the 405 freeway. Anything east of that and you're starting to run against your 30min commute time limit.

They are indeed, a quick search should give location and business hours in a flash, and depending on what part of town you'll be in you could probably walk it to several of the places I mentioned.

As far as car rentals go, check out Rent-a-Wreck. They're on the westside but they offer pickup from LAX, yelp seems to love them, and I rented a Chevy from them for a week when my car was in the shop. I think I paid $130 for the week, with insurance.

I'm going to be staying at Hilton Inn in Glendale, thanks for the good advice.

I reserved a Camry near LAX for $235/week with no insurance (with insurance it was bringing the price up to little shy of $500, I want to check with my own auto insurance company here at home first.) I'm gonna check out "rent a wreck" sounds definitely cheaper, thanks for the advice again.

EDIT: Turns out "Rent-A-Wreck" doesn't offer Unlimited miles in their rental plans, guess I'm sticking with the Camry at $235/week.

thirty

Banned
check out North Hollywood too, aka "noho." you have plenty of things to do in noho and you can subway to downtown, Pasadena, Hollywood, etc.

God going out in WeHo is such a circus. I went for beer bust last night and it was insane. I guess it's entertainment that I only need to see a few times a year.

Screw $36 for 3 shots of tequila at Micky's though.

Verano

any mexican-GAFfers here watch novelas??

Currently watching Abismo de Pasion
Altair Jarabo is my waifu. ; )

Verano

La Reina del Sur is my favorite, but before that it was El Clon. Where do they find so many beautiful people for novelas, me hace sentir fea :<

jajajajajaja....te digo. I always wanted to watch reina del sur however I was stuck on the Triunfo del amor novela...so Im gonna youtube it later. :D

thirty

Banned
one of the reasons why I love LA. this is from Jons International Market in the San Fernando Valley on Sepulveda and Sherman Wy. their service deli sells Perian, Armenian, Italian, and Mexican food. I'm usually not a fan of ready made food but their food is really good at very low prices. this is their fire chicken kabob with Persian salad and spicy eggplant.
cGYgr.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
one of the reasons why I love LA. this is from Jons International Market in the San Fernando Valley on Sepulveda and Sherman Wy. their service deli sells Perian, Armenian, Italian, and Mexican food. I'm usually not a fan of ready made food but their food is really good at very low prices. this is their fire chicken kabob with Persian salad and spicy eggplant.
cGYgr.jpg

wow, that's way up there.... but it looks good. my speaker repair place was near there, and my car repair shop kind of is too. looks good.

you in the valley?

FStop7

Banned
LA-GAF, is anyone else planning on going to California Extreme? I was thinking about driving up early Saturday morning (leaving at around 6 or 7 in the morning) and returning that night. It's about 6 hours each way but I really want to go. The show is in Santa Clara.

For those unfamiliar, California Extreme is a huge coin-op/pinball show. People bring in hundreds of vintage arcade machines and set them up for free play. You can even buy a cabinet if you're so inclined.

I've never been and I really want to go this year.

Any suggestions for some badass background scenery for taking pictures with my girl ><

She's really into photography and I don't mind going to any part of the city if it means getting a great shot.

thirty

Banned
Any suggestions for some badass background scenery for taking pictures with my girl ><

She's really into photography and I don't mind going to any part of the city if it means getting a great shot.
devil's punchbowl or Vasquez rocks, both in the Palmdale area.

Isa0

Neo Member

Not sure how badass it'll be, but the Grand Park in DTLA opens tomorrow. I sorta want to check it out, but I'm going in with low expectations.

Angel's Crest Hwy
Malibu/Santa Monica mtns
Exposition Park
Griffith's Observatory
Getty Villa
LACMA
Long Beach Aquarium/Queen Mary area

beat

Oh hey, what about inside the Bradbury Building?

SUPREME1

Banned
Angel's Crest Hwy
Malibu/Santa Monica mtns
Exposition Park
Griffith's Observatory
Getty Villa
LACMA
Long Beach Aquarium/Queen Mary area

Great suggestions.

I would aslo include:

Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanic Gardens

301 North Baldwin Avenue Arcadia, California 91007-2697
(626) 821-3222

[It's across the street from Santa Anita race track]\

We did ou wedding photos there and they turned up real nice. Fountains, beatiful trees/flowers, peacocks... all kinds fo stuff.

Verano

watts towers
Hollywood Hills
east la bridge by the 5 freeway
skid row
DTLA (there's pockets of spaces that show nice backdrops of L.A.)

Not sure how badass it'll be, but the Grand Park in DTLA opens tomorrow. I sorta want to check it out, but I'm going in with low expectations.

I saw the thing on TV this morning about the opening...I think the fountain might be a nice background.

The fountain is cool. Once the whole park is open it will be really nice. At the moment its more a huge upgrade to the multiuse space between the courthouses. The parts opening in the next couple months, from Hill to Spring, will be the main green space areas.

Also went over from work to check it out yesterday and wasn't expecting the huge opening ceremony they had. like 2000 people there watching.

commedieu

Banned
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Happy hours are everywhere, you can just stumble upon them. Eh, Baja Cantina?

More importantly,

What happened in downtown last night? Helicopters? SWAT team?? Anyone..?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Happy hours are everywhere, you can just stumble upon them. Eh, Baja Cantina?

More importantly,

What happened in downtown last night? Helicopters? SWAT team?? Anyone..?

Yeah, i've been to some really shitty ones lately in this area. That's why I was asking.

Also, idk about downtown

Bah, my girlfriend just got a job so I don't think I can make it out to LA.

Does anyone want to buy my Franz Ferdinand tickets? I have two.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Waddup LA peeps? Been a while.

Playing a show on the 23rd at the kibitz room. Starts at 10:30, gonna be super short and sweet. Non-timberwolf stuff, all my second band (Luffy, promos here if anyone wants a gander ) but I'm super excited about it.

I actually have the album done for it, I'm just trying to get some hype built/ label backing for an actual release.

That is all.

Top Bottom