• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Daft_Cat

Just moved to Silverlake from Toronto. Heard gunshots two out of the five nights I've been here, and everyone says this is one of the nicer places in the city!

...and I love it..

Zyzyxxz

Just moved to Silverlake from Toronto. Heard gunshots two out of the five nights I've been here, and everyone says this is one of the nicer places in the city!

...and I love it..

Silverlake is getting pretty hipster I wouldn't worry too much but at the same time don't be careless.

Guess we really can't complain since June and July were so relatively mild.... but God Damn was it hot today. And it looks like the rest of this week ain't getting any cooler.

Sobriquet

Silverlake is getting pretty hipster I wouldn't worry too much but at the same time don't be careless.

Getting hipster? Is it the 90s again?

...and I love it..

Great area (one of my favorites), but I don't think anyone would call it nice. Welcome to LA! :)

Daft_Cat

Yah..the one flaw in my otherwise amazing find of an apartment is no air conditioning...

Any one in LAgaf have any recommendations for a good portable air conditioner (preferably not a window unit)? I know they can be pretty expensive, but I'm not digging this humidity.

I was considering just waiting it out since summer's almost over, but my girlfriend's coming down from Canada for a couple weeks on Thursday..and she's pretty finicky about the heat.

Those aren't gunshots... those are Hiptsers' vintage scooters backfiring

The saddest thing about this post is that you might actually be correct.

Great area (one of my favorites), but I don't think anyone would call it nice. Welcome to LA! :)

Haha, thanks. I really like the reservoir area of Silverlake in terms of architecture..but I guess what I really mean by "nice" is that it's relatively safe.

So how are you guys going to deal with the heat? I'm planning on seeing a $6 AMC movie alone. I just need to do something to stay out of the sun. I work tomorrow so there's that -_-.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Allllright, facebook events are being made, things are rolling. Anyone interested in some rock stuffs?

'Twill be a very fun show to be sure.

553658_688850930886_604021860_n.jpg

Argyle

Yah..the one flaw in my otherwise amazing find of an apartment is no air conditioning...

Any one in LAgaf have any recommendations for a good portable air conditioner (preferably not a window unit)? I know they can be pretty expensive, but I'm not digging this humidity.

I was considering just waiting it out since summer's almost over, but my girlfriend's coming down from Canada for a couple weeks on Thursday..and she's pretty finicky about the heat.

Can't vouch for it but noticed that Woot had a portable A/C on sale for $250...

https://www.woot.com/

Going to be in LA tomorrow dropping off some papers for my G.I. Bill at CSUN then I am going to the Korean Consulate (My friend has business there). Where are the best places to eat in Koreatown?

commedieu

Banned
Anyone remember where the thread is/was for the KBBQ meetup. Co-Starring Fidelis and Korean Bars that didn't allow outside alcohol..

Korean.

Edit: not fan of Mexican food.

Wait wait wait.. How is this even possible? I demand to know your explanation of why you dislike Mexican food.

Right now.

Argyle

Because it is greasy and disgusting.

I can hardly call myself an expert on Mexican food, as I didn't really grow up eating it (Mexican food is dire in Hawaii, especially 20 years ago), but you know what, I have to call bullshit on that.

"Mexican food" is a pretty broad umbrella in reality, if you don't like the greasy gringo Mex that I am assuming you are most familiar with, you need to try something different. I had a plate full of ceviche for $11 at Dorados in Monterey Park that was easily enough for two and that in absolutely no way could be considered greasy. (In fact it might be nearly the perfect meal in this heat.). Maybe you should try the pescado zarandeado at Coni'seafood in Inglewood (I haven't been to that location, but I did try it when the cook was working at Mariscos Chente on the westside, and it was fantasic). There are lots of different types of Mexican food, and it kind of shocks me to see someone dismiss one of the world's great cuisines this way...

Oh, and I agree, Guelaguetza is good. I haven't been to the k-town branch, though.

Zyzyxxz

I can hardly call myself an expert on Mexican food, as I didn't really grow up eating it (Mexican food is dire in Hawaii, especially 20 years ago), but you know what, I have to call bullshit on that.

"Mexican food" is a pretty broad umbrella in reality, if you don't like the greasy gringo Mex that I am assuming you are most familiar with, you need to try something different. I had a plate full of ceviche for $11 at Dorados in Monterey Park that was easily enough for two and that in absolutely no way could be considered greasy. (In fact it might be nearly the perfect meal in this heat.). Maybe you should try the pescado zarandeado at Coni'seafood in Inglewood (I haven't been to that location, but I did try it when the cook was working at Mariscos Chente on the westside, and it was fantasic). There are lots of different types of Mexican food, and it kind of shocks me to see someone dismiss one of the world's great cuisines this way...

Oh, and I agree, Guelaguetza is good. I haven't been to the k-town branch, though.

I love Dorados. I work nearby it so I'm either there or at the sister restaurant Cook's Torta.

You shouldn't assume bro. My mother is half Mexican and I was raised here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Cove,_California

My father is like one of the only fully white men in the town. I know Mexican food. The only good foods are pozole, tacos, and burritos.

thirty

Banned
speaking if the OC, went to one of those Vietnamese coffee shops, cafe Lu was the name of this one. good strong ice coffee, free WiFi, and hot chicks in bikinis. wasn't a bad experience at all.

Argyle

I love Dorados. I work nearby it so I'm either there or at the sister restaurant Cook's Torta.

Have you tried their other two restaurants? I haven't made it to either one yet (Guisados in East LA, Bizarra Capital in Whittier)... Cooks is one of my favorite places, the bread they use for their tortas is great.

Top Bottom