• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

PG2G

anyways it's real good but nothing mind blowing, I'd say Yamadaya level.

Tsujita proper I'd say is much much better, but this place is still real good!

Damn, they go across the street and the quality takes a dive? Maybe it's just a staffing/training issue. This one sells noodles all day (not just lunch)?

Yo. So I wanna eat some really good Arabic food. My best friends mom use to cook cabbage and would stuff rice and meat in it and roll it up! Stuff was delish. Any good Arabic restaurants in LA? Or even closer to the riverside area?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yo. So I wanna eat some really good Arabic food. My best friends mom use to cook cabbage and would stuff rice and meat in it and roll it up! Stuff was delish. Any good Arabic restaurants in LA? Or even closer to the riverside area?

where specifically? There is a fantastic spot for Lebanese right in Sherman Oaks off the 101 on Woodman called Carnival. Some of the best middle eastern food I've ever had, to be quite honest

JEKKI

Damn, they go across the street and the quality takes a dive? Maybe it's just a staffing/training issue. This one sells noodles all day (not just lunch)?
it's not the quality.

their menu isnt the same as regular Tsujita; I believe Tsujita is a tonkotsu style while annex is shoyu.

it's just different.

FStop7

Banned
There is a pretty nasty fire brewing on the line between Camarillo and Newbury Park. I hope everyone in the area stays safe. I just moved to NP last weekend, this is quite a welcome.

FStop7

Banned
ibsLXfMk4hje0Y.JPG

This is about half a mile from my house. As long as the wind doesn't change it'll stay about a mile away.

The flames are closer to where I was than the photo makes them seem to be. I hate brush fires.

FStop7

Banned
There was an army of fire trucks at Trader Joe's at around 5:30.

There was a controlled burn started up the road (Borchard at Los Vientos) at 6, I got some video of it. It sounds like the burn was successful and it saved that neighborhood. Can't say enough about how great the firefighters are. My house is about 2/3 of a mile east of there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRIHj_3-wBA

FStop7

Banned
I am having a small housewarming (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) get together this Sunday, if you're in the area you're welcome to stop by. PM me for the address.

Man so I finally tried Gray Box pizza after driving past the Culver City location for like 3 years. Pretty meh. Is there any good pizza in West LA at all? The only decent place I know of so far is Pitfire.

beat

Man so I finally tried Gray Box pizza after driving past the Culver City location for like 3 years. Pretty meh. Is there any good pizza in West LA at all? The only decent place I know of so far is Pitfire.

What are your thoughts on 800 Degrees?

And Tomato Pie, maybe? is that Westside?

My pizza desire isn't nearly as ambitious as wanting pizza greatness. I just want a tasty buck-a-slice joint. I guess buck-fifty would be OK. Ideally something where the pizza is ready to go under heatlamps. I guess Whole Foods does that, for $3/slice but it's $3 a slice. Even worse when I go to a 'by the slice' restaurant and they cook the pizza to order, and it's $4+/slice after you actually get some toppings on it.

Milo+Olive on Wilshire. Owned by the same people who own Huckleberry, Rustic Canyon, and Sweet Rose Creamery.

And Pizza Hut

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
La gaf any hip events tonight? House parties anyone?

Aslo lucifer's pizza on hilhurst is fantastic in los feliz

Karram

LA gaf, I'm moving to Santa Monica west of Lincoln Blvd, South of Montana and North of Colorado, are there any specific streets/areas I should look for apartments at ?

LA gaf, I'm moving to Santa Monica west of Lincoln Blvd, South of Montana and North of Colorado, are there any specific streets/areas I should look for apartments at ?

Good luck getting something there. I tried getting an apartment there once, and apartment hunting was impossible. We'd have an appointment to check out a place, then get called on the way there to be told it was just taken.

Anyway, I'm not sure what suggestions you want. You pretty much self-selected like a 9x9 block area already, and the coastal line is pretty much all hotels, so.... ?

Good luck getting something there. I tried getting an apartment there once, and apartment hunting was impossible. We'd have an appointment to check out a place, then get called on the way there to be told it was just taken.

Anyway, I'm not sure what suggestions you want. You pretty much self-selected like a 9x9 block area already, and the coastal line is pretty much all hotels, so.... ?

Seriously. Why the incredibly tiny grid (half of which is heavy commercial)??

Karram

I don't know, I was told if I should move to Santa Monica this area is more lively and walkable than the rest. Are there any other areas that I should consider or is it hard to find apartments in all of Santa Monica ?

beat

I don't know, I was told if I should move to Santa Monica this area is more lively and walkable than the rest. Are there any other areas that I should consider or is it hard to find apartments in all of Santa Monica ?
Santa Monica is more expensive than most of the rest of metro LA, or even most of the western neighborhoods of LA that border Santa Monica. People like living by the ocean.

You won't really know for sure about walkability and liveliness until you arrive here and see for yourself, but if that doesn't work for you, use padmapper.com and walkscore.com. The former even has links to the latter, so you can just click on an eligible apartment and then see its walkscore.

The reason you're told south of Montana is because north of Montana is rich folks homes, so that makes sense.

As far as walkability, it depends how much/often/far you plan on walking. The area you listed is all around the Promenade, which yeah, is nice walking area. But it's also pretty expensive.

Hilariously, they have recently build a ton of really nice income-restricted housing in the area, which means you have to make less than $60k or something, but the rent is also like $2k a month. So they expect you to take all your income and pretty much spend it on living there. No wonder they can't fill up the apartments (which Santa Monica is requiring them to do).

I'd say expand your search eastward in Santa Monica, above the 10, or just south of the 10 while still staying in Santa Monica. There are still a lot of pockets of nice walkability, especially if you're near Wilshire or Santa Monica Blvd. South of the 10 can get a little sketch though, so keep that in mind, even while they are improving that.

Santa Monica has a pretty nice city bus service, but if you want further transportation, I'd suggest looking in Culver City, where the Expo line just opened. This is expanding out to Santa Monica (to I think Colorado and 5th avenue), but it's not scheduled until 2015 or so, and I'm not sure how long you're planning on living in Santa Monica.

Anyway, that's some info. If you're just looking for walkability and not planning on traveling out of your home area too often, you might look at the Miracle Mile (WeHo) area. It sucks in that it's a hassle to get to/from wrt freeways, but there's some nice walking area there. I lived there for a few years and I could walk to the grocery, movies, restaurants, pretty much everything you could want, and did so often. Usually late at night, too.

Milo+Olive on Wilshire. Owned by the same people who own Huckleberry, Rustic Canyon, and Sweet Rose Creamery.

Tried Milo & Olive last night. Pretty tasty, good sausage and good crust. But... still not really what I'm looking for in the end. I think it's pretty easy to find a place where you pay $20 something for a small gourmet style pizza, all woodburning and expensive ingredients and whatnot. Those kinds of pizzas are awesome, but there's gotta be something good in between that and Pizza Hut. AA pizza, I guess. If I was back in Chicago it would be Giordannos or Lou Malnattis, if I was in St. Louis it would be Imos, dunno what to do in LA.

Santa Monica has a pretty nice city bus service, but if you want further transportation, I'd suggest looking in Culver City, where the Expo line just opened. This is expanding out to Santa Monica (to I think Colorado and 5th avenue), but it's not scheduled until 2015 or so, and I'm not sure how long you're planning on living in Santa Monica.

Early 2016. In fact, my wife is doing the art for one of the stations.

Booshka

Sky looks amazing right now in Torrance, sunset is making every thing have a tint of orange. Looks like color correction from a movie.

Karram

Thanks everyone for the reply, really helpful. I noticed the apartment are much more smaller, and yet more expensive than any other area($2000+ for 350 sf). I will checkout Miracle Mile, not sure if I'll move there though, as my main motive was to live by the ocean, without being too far away from the valley as I have to commute there 2 times a week.

Alchemy

Soo.... anyone in the LA area need a Game Designer? Place I worked for in Burbank is closing (tomorrow is the last day). Fucking rough day.

Zyzyxxz

Woot I got props from Jonathan Gold!

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-jonathan-gold-great-tacos,0,6140172.story

Johnny Lee cooks kurobuta pork shoulder sous-vide to get the firm yet melting texture that he likes, and he pats his tortillas to order. They’re pretty good, those chashu tacos. You’ll like them. And nobody’s saying you can’t get the tako fries too, even though they are kind of a pain to make. Another reason: The specialty of the house seems to be Japanese beer.

offcast

Neo Member
Yo Johnny I've been to the Spirit House a few times now, all the food there is amazing! Hope it keeps getting busier there, but the atmosphere is so nice now. The tempura elote is one of the best things I've ever had! Good luck with the other ventures as well!

Welcome! I live just on the other side of Montana, off of San Vicente, so you are pretty much in my hood. As far as more 'suburban' parts of L.A. goes, Santa Monica is pretty much the best. Clean, attractive, and the wind from the ocean blows most of the marine layer away. As for where to look for an apartment, I'd recommend anyplace between 2nd and 22nd street, though if you are going to look in the single digits I'd recommend something a little closer to Wilshire, so you could walk to downtown Santa Monica and take advantage of all of the amenities DTSM offers.

Zyzyxxz

Yo Johnny I've been to the Spirit House a few times now, all the food there is amazing! Hope it keeps getting busier there, but the atmosphere is so nice now. The tempura elote is one of the best things I've ever had! Good luck with the other ventures as well!

Oh thanks, say hi next time I'm not around as much anymore but from time to time.

Top Bottom