• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

broz0rs

That Sizzler is magic in the hood, Growing up that was the place for special dinners (Bdays,Graduations,etc...).

As a Korean immigrant, I still remember my 9th birthday where my mom came home late from work and couldn't take me out to Sizzlers. I cried so hard.

I really liked the episode but man David Choe is a weird dude. A friend of mine found this online and now I want to go find it

http://i.imgur.com/XFALUfD.jpg

David Choe has a podcast that I listen to occasionally. I don't listen to it on a regular basis because he's pretty much a megalomaniac. He's definitely an interesting guy, but has some serious compulsive issues. Here's a podcast where he pretty much loses his shit.

http://www.dvdasa.com/?p=409

"Chip Incident" starts around 1:20

Zyzyxxz

Boyle Heights represent!

where my hood dawgs at?

How's living in Boyle Heights? I've been curious about living there since it seems really cheap but I'm just worried about the crime statistics which seem to be higher than some of the surrounding neighborhoods.

beat

Is Westdale in Culver?

I'm going to be staying on National and Barrington.

It's Culver-adjacent. Legally, it's part of LA, not Culver City, but people often call areas close to Culver City "Culver City".

Google Maps says your best bet transit-wise is taking the Santa Monica bus (they're blue), #14 to connect to the rapid #10, which takes the freeway. I cannot vouch for this because I've never done it. Your next best bet is to walk a good ways to the blue #12, then take the Expo line from there. I have taken the Expo line a fair bit, and it's generally pretty good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's Culver-adjacent. Legally, it's part of LA, not Culver City, but people often call areas close to Culver City "Culver City".

Google Maps says your best bet transit-wise is taking the Santa Monica bus (they're blue), #14 to connect to the rapid #10, which takes the freeway. I cannot vouch for this because I've never done it. Your next best bet is to walk a good ways to the blue #12, then take the Expo line from there. I have taken the Expo line a fair bit, and it's generally pretty good.
Fuck those buses.
My 10 minute drive was consistently a 30-60 minute bus ride without my car.

I wouldn't really call Barrington and National Culver-adjacent. It's Santa Monica adjacent more than anything.

The #10 Big Blue Bus is GREAT. When I lived on Centinela I could pick it up on my corner, and it would drop me off at the corner of my work in downtown. All for 50 cents cause I am disabled. There can be up to 1/2 hour to 45 minutes between busses, though, so you have to time it very well to make it really work.

-CRASH-

Banned
How's living in Boyle Heights? I've been curious about living there since it seems really cheap but I'm just worried about the crime statistics which seem to be higher than some of the surrounding neighborhoods.
crime: muuuuuch more better than when I was a kid. still bad tho and don't walk really late at night unless u wanna get jacked. walk with a friend because you think it's safer? you both get jacked. get hit up during the day by a thug, just say you're not into that (either writing/tagging or gangbanging) and you should be fine. you're a pretty white boy? extra risk. if I was a thug, white=money. fucked up but it kinda makes sense considering pretty much the only white people here (and they're rare) are druggies and hipsters who think it's cool to slum it. this is based on my experience. as for home/car invasion..... have only had hood caps stolen and that's it. but it does happen. also, get used to frequent helicopters and sirens at night. I would say they're annoying but I'm conditioned to not even notice they're there most times (the helis at least).

location: fucking fantastic. got all the freeways I need at the tip of my fingers. want to hit up downtown? hop on the freeway for a few minutes. If there's traffic, downtown is only a la river bridge away. best thing about BH is the location.

food: dozens of sidewalk taco stands at night. trucks too. they're hit or miss but when they hit, they fuckin HIT. I swear by a taco stand right on 4th street, in front of tepa's barber. best asada/al pastor tacos I have had anywhere! been there dozens of times and have only been let down twice. there's also some low key restaurants, the most popular probably being el tepeyac (R.I.P. manny). there's a dope pizza joint called pizzanista which is right outside the outskirts of BH. and of course, there's a few king tacos if you're into that (I'm not).

overall..... not too bad. oh and the public parks are garbage and genuinely scare me sometimes at night lol.

I would recommend it if you're not afraid of crime (you really shouldn't be IMO although maybe I'm just desensitized) and you want affordable living. there's been a lot of apartment developments recently. a lot.

fuck that was a long post. did it on mobile too
-_-

edit: forgot to mention there's an east la/Boyle heights bus called el sol that only costs a quarter. pretty awesome (I'm poor lol). got dat gold line too

PG2G

Boyle Heights also has Ramirez Liquor (awesome bottle shop for BeerGAF) and like the last Pioneer Chicken on earth.

Wouldn't consider living there though. SGV is already pretty affordable.

-CRASH-

Banned
Boyle Heights also has Ramirez Liquor (awesome bottle shop for BeerGAF) and like the last Pioneer Chicken on earth.

I actually attended the high school right there next to pioneer and Ramirez. idk if you've ever noticed it, we have a nice field.

never really got hooked on pioneer but I still hit up Ramirez regularly.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah Pioneer chicken is awesome! I live in the SGV but would like to live closer to Downtown eventually for work. Not sure if I can ever make enough money for a loft though.

Yeah Pioneer chicken is awesome! I live in the SGV but would like to live closer to Downtown eventually for work. Not sure if I can ever make enough money for a loft though.

I know some guys who are renting in the McArthur park area. Gentrifiers, I suppose. They have huge, 6,000 square foot lofts for the same price as a one bedroom in Culver City.

you're a pretty white boy? extra risk. if I was a thug, white=money. fucked up but it kinda makes sense considering pretty much the only white people here (and they're rare) are druggies and hipsters who think it's cool to slum it.

Yeah, a bunch of friends and I (all white) went to Boyle Heights, or a little past it, to get some tacos I've heard about. We got a lot of stares. I wouldn't say I felt unsafe, but there was definitely a sense of unease.

Yeah Pioneer chicken is awesome!

Oh cool, you checked it out. It's amazing, yes?

I know some guys who are renting in the McArthur park area. Gentrifiers, I suppose. They have huge, 6,000 square foot lofts for the same price as a one bedroom in Culver City.

Where are they renting / how long have they been renting there? Can't imagine places renting for that low anymore.

Isn't McArthur Park full of junkies?

Eh, not a place to be a night still, but it's pretty limited to just the park. The surrounding blocks are less problematic.

rc213

Never thought I would ever see that area mentioned here. I grew up right in front of that shit stain park from 79-96, It's a nice family park now. Wish the city would have worked to clean up the shit while I was growing up there. Horrible horrible memories and experiences growing up there. That area reminds much of Downtown L.A. now with a nice clean somewhat safe areas surround by pockets of shit.

Man the stories from my childhood there are pretty insane.

The day driverless cars replace these assholes on the road can not come soon enough. Now if only we could have driverless legs to stop all the jackasses j-walking. HATE driving in this city. ugh.

The day driverless cars replace these assholes on the road can not come soon enough. Now if only we could have driverless legs to stop all the jackasses j-walking. HATE driving in this city. ugh.

jlaw-okay.gif

I highly recommend purchasing tickets for any remaining available screenings of the Oscars Outdoors series. Far less crowded than Cinespia and far superior.

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibitions/outdoors/index.html

More screenings go on sale next month, try to jump on them right when they go on sale since they sell out quick. There is a standby line thing you can do for the sold out screenings, but it's not guaranteed and it's a pain in the ass because you have to get there so early.

Here are the yelp reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/oscars-outdoors-los-angeles

It's basically Cinespia without the shitty parts before it got too popular.

Zyzyxxz

I wanna get into Chinatown before it gets too pricey. Highland Park (where I lived a decade ago) is so hipster now. But since I work in Downtown, Chinatown would make sense for me.

I wanna get into Chinatown before it gets too pricey. Highland Park (where I lived a decade ago) is so hipster now. But since I work in Downtown, Chinatown would make sense for me.

Chinatown is already getting pretty gentrified. I know of at least two major apartment projects going up, and I know there is a pretty active gallery scene over there. Really, the last untapped DT adjacent markets are McArthur Park, Boyle Heights, and over around USC, and those won't stay untapped for long. Even around USC right now is getting very cleaned up, with a ton of new construction, and the Expo Line just opening up. For better or worse, LA is realizing that it has an urban center, and prices are reflecting that.

Had friends frpm back in NY visiting for two days. U fortuantly they had to fly back is morning though.

I made sure to show them a good time, so we got Umami, went to harvard and stone and then went to Jumbos. If you havent been to Jumbos O highly reccomend it, the Bikini bar is a lot more telented, and the atmosphere is better than at a strip club although thats not whats really going on there so thats why.

Shameless plug. If anyone is into choreography and awesome shows you should come check out the Girls Next Door show. It's a Pole Danceing show mixed with some airialst dancers (hoops and silk dancers). It's nothing like stripping, if thats the only source you have as an idea pf a pole dancer. Its all choreographed pieces, theres a lot of ballet, latin/burlesque, gymnastics and the like mixed in. A good portion of the women that perform are all competition pole dancers, its pretty cool and competitive.

http://girlnextdoorshow.com/

They have a show the first sunday of every month at King King.

My girlfriend is one of the instructors there, and were good firends wi the owner and all the other girls, it's really awesome fun. Also guys its an amazing place to bring a date, since its not about sex and women love seeing these kinds of shows for the sheer athleticism.

Chinatown is already getting pretty gentrified. I know of at least two major apartment projects going up, and I know there is a pretty active gallery scene over there. Really, the last untapped DT adjacent markets are McArthur Park, Boyle Heights, and over around USC, and those won't stay untapped for long. Even around USC right now is getting very cleaned up, with a ton of new construction, and the Expo Line just opening up. For better or worse, LA is realizing that it has an urban center, and prices are reflecting that.

Also check out Lincoln Heights / Montecito Heights.

Top Bottom