• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

golem

What are the good late night Cafe's?

I usually go to Fred 62 if im in the area

Or somewhere in Ktown or SGV for asian fare

I highly recommend purchasing tickets for any remaining available screenings of the Oscars Outdoors series. Far less crowded than Cinespia and far superior.

http://www.oscars.org/events-exhibitions/outdoors/index.html

More screenings go on sale next month, try to jump on them right when they go on sale since they sell out quick. There is a standby line thing you can do for the sold out screenings, but it's not guaranteed and it's a pain in the ass because you have to get there so early.

Here are the yelp reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/oscars-outdoors-los-angeles

It's basically Cinespia without the shitty parts before it got too popular.

The only question Groundhog Day or Point Break??

Nope.

Do Haz and I have to fight for the extra pass?

Because I will not let him win.

It's okay, I know him in real life, so I can properly detach my emotions from this.

It's for my girlfriend lol

I'll let you know if she goes all three days, pretty sure shes only going for two

I don't live in Los Angeles or in the States for that matter. But my mom is currently over there and I wanted her to pick up some snazzy clothing for me.

Fashion and LA GAF, where's the best place to shop for (reasonably priced) clothing? I know LA is big but she has time to move around and whatnot so any suggestions are welcome!

PG2G

I don't live in Los Angeles or in the States for that matter. But my mom is currently over there and I wanted her to pick up some snazzy clothing for me.

Fashion and LA GAF, where's the best place to shop for (reasonably priced) clothing? I know LA is big but she has time to move around and whatnot so any suggestions are welcome!

You actually trust your mom to pick up clothes for you?

WJD

Hey LA-GAF, me and a few friends are staying in LA for several days soon and we were looking at staying in the Duo Housing hostel on 886 Crenshaw Blvd - just wondering how easy it is to access the main tourist areas from there and furthermore whether it's a safe area or not? Thanks!

Hey LA-GAF, me and a few friends are staying in LA for several days soon and we were looking at staying in the Duo Housing hostel on Crenshaw Blvd - just wondering how easy it is to access the main tourist areas from there and furthermore whether it's a safe area or not? Thanks!

That area should be fine, safety-wise. You have a couple block walk to Wilshire where you can hop on the 720 bus line at Crenshaw, which is an express line that runs all of Wilshire. Can get you downtown pretty fast, as well as Mid-Wilshire (LACMA, La Brea Tar Pits) Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, and Santa Monica.

If you hike down Wilshire to Western you can grab the Purple Line, which can get you to Union Station, or Los Feliz/Hollywood (via Red Line). It can also get you to a couple other Metro Light Rail lines at Union or another stop that I am blanking on.

WJD

That area should be fine, safety-wise. You have a couple block walk to Wilshire where you can hop on the 720 bus line at Crenshaw, which is an express line that runs all of Wilshire. Can get you downtown pretty fast, as well as Mid-Wilshire (LACMA, La Brea Tar Pits) Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, and Santa Monica.

If you hike down Wilshire to Western you can grab the Purple Line, which can get you to Union Station, or Los Feliz/Hollywood (via Red Line). It can also get you to a couple other Metro Light Rail lines at Union or another stop that I am blanking on.

Cheers, I'm glad bus lines seem fairly straight forward as its unlikely we'll be renting a car.

We're there for four full days total and then a half day when we arrive and so far we've planned a beach day, a Universal Studio day and a Hollywood day. Anything else you would suggest for four student backpackers?

snack

Hey LA-GAF,

I'm heading down to LA with a group of seven (we're all from Vancouver, BC) from August 14th-18th. We're in our mid twenties and we plan to go to Six Flags on one of those days. The other days, we haven't really decided but we relaly wanna check out K-Town and see what it's all about. Word on the street is that it's a really cool place, and my buddies and I all like Asians so it's win-win!

Are there any places you guys could recommend we go? We plan on staying in downtown LA. We just wanna kick back and enjoy beautiful LA. hahaha

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Hey LA-GAF,

I'm heading down to LA with a group of seven (we're all from Vancouver, BC) from August 14th-18th. We're in our mid twenties and we plan to go to Six Flags on one of those days. The other days, we haven't really decided but we relaly wanna check out K-Town and see what it's all about. Word on the street is that it's a really cool place, and my buddies and I all like Asians so it's win-win!

Are there any places you guys could recommend we go? We plan on staying in downtown LA. We just wanna kick back and enjoy beautiful LA. hahaha

Anyway, thanks for the help!

K-Town is largely a dump, not sure where you heard it was "a really cool place." There are some great places to go that happen to be in Koreatown but I wouldn't call the area cool. Maybe that's just me. Definitely worth going to a good Korean barbecue place though with a group of 7. People will have recommendations no doubt, but Genwa is considered the cream of the crop. But I also like Honey Pig, because pork is delicious. There are some fun Korean bars too.

If you're staying in downtown and you're into Asian stuff, go to Little Tokyo, which is very nearby. Daikokuya is probably the most famous ramen joint in that area, though wait times get VERY long if you're going during a normal eating hour. That said, they don't really have room for 7 people, it's a tiny place. Maybe go to Shabu Shabu House instead. That area is very walkable and there's a lot of neat little places to check out.

Also Wurstkuche is adjacent to Little Tokyo (east of it) and is a great place for delicious sausages (read: hot dogs) and german/belgian beers. Hipsterish kinda joint but I bet you guys would love it. Get the rattlesnake and rabbit sausage.

Chinatown also isn't too far off. It's not as nice and walkable as Little Tokyo is, but there are some good places. I recommend Yang Chow. Get the Slippery Shrimp there -- it's like crack, so good. Everybody gets that there, it's their most famous dish. But a lot of things are good there. I like the Hot and Sour soup too.

The weather has been fucking sweet here lately, but in August expect it to be hot. If you can, I suggest hitting the beach. Santa Monica has a promenade and a pier along with their beach and is an extremely popular place, but if you head just south from there you can hit Venice Beach, which is basically full of weirdos (it's actually known for its strange boardwalk folk).

Also, near downtown but in a completely shitty area is a deli with the greatest sandwich in the world: The #19 at Langers. I tell everyone to go there. In my eyes it's the perfect sandwich: the most delicious rye bread in the country, freshly cut pastrami, swiss cheese and coleslaw. Let me say that normally I do not like coleslaw. However on this sandwich it is perfect. I wouldn't change a single thing about it. Also get a cream soda with it, they have delicious cream soda there.

If you guys have travel capabilities (read: a car or two), there are a lot of other places to check out. Lemme know.

beat

Chinatown also isn't too far off. It's not as nice and walkable as Little Tokyo is, but there are some good places. I recommend Yang Chow. Get the Slippery Shrimp there -- it's like crack, so good. Everybody gets that there, it's their most famous dish. But a lot of things are good there. I like the Hot and Sour soup too.
Also, Chego's in Chinatown now. I like it a lot. It isn't great as far as atmosphere goes, but the food (... Korean-fusion, but fusion in the good way) is still delicious. Plus, snack's from Vancouver, he doesn't need to eat Chinese food on a weeklong LA vacation.

Maybe go for burgers or tacos, both things LA does pretty well. In-n-Out or Five Guys are good at the cheap end (though Five Guys just opened in Vancouver, so maybe INO. Umami Burger and Father's Office are pretty excellent at the more expensive end of burgers.

There are maybe three good Mexican places in all of Vancouver, so eat some Mexican food while you're here. If you find a taco truck that cooks al pastor a spit outside (like Leo's Tacos), go for that. (Al pastor is kind of a Mexican translation of Middle Eastern shawarma, taking pork as a substitution for lamb.)

Downtown, there's the Last Bookstore, which is pretty nice, and wandering in the maze upstairs of bargain books is fun.

Out in Hollywood, there's Amoeba Records, which is a record store far bigger than any in Vancouver. Well, I guess it's the size of the old Virgin Megastore downtown, but Amoeba is grittier and more fun than the very sanitized Virgin Megastore experience.

The weather has been fucking sweet here lately, but in August expect it to be hot. If you can, I suggest hitting the beach. Santa Monica has a promenade and a pier along with their beach and is an extremely popular place, but if you head just south from there you can hit Venice Beach, which is basically full of weirdos (it's actually known for its strange boardwalk folk).
I like the Venice Beach vibe more than Santa Monica, not that I go to either beach much. I have heard not to stick around Venice Beach after dark, though. Haven't tried that for myself.

I would also suggest to go see some music or comedy in LA in the evenings. Check out listings in the LA Weekly or at laweekly.com.

snack

Thanks for the info guys! Really appreciate it.

I'm gonna try to hit as many of those food joints as I can. Also wanna check out Venice Beach. Can't wait!

Hey LA-GAF!

I'll be moving to LA next month, and I'm still working on where I want to stay. My new job is in the center of LA (Commerce I think, if that helps). Some people suggested staying in either Long Beach or Pasadena, and I wanted to check with some people who know LA before checking out 1br apartments there. I'm looking for a safe as hell area for around $1500. Also, how long would it take to drive to work on the highway if the job is usually 30 minutes away (no traffic)?

Hey LA-GAF!

I'll be moving to LA next month, and I'm still working on where I want to stay. My new job is in the center of LA (Commerce I think, if that helps). Some people suggested staying in either Long Beach or Pasadena, and I wanted to check with some people who know LA before checking out 1br apartments there. I'm looking for a safe as hell area for around $1500. Also, how long would it take to drive to work on the highway if the job is usually 30 minutes away (no traffic)?

An hour and a half-2 hours

Hey LA-GAF!

What? No.

Why live so far away? Move to Los Feliz, it's very safe and exactly in your price range. I pay a bit under 1500 and have a nice size 1br. It's very safe and close enough to the subway if you don't want to drive.

The best spots are right center in Los Feliz, between Vermont and HillHurst, below ambrose and above sunset. It's in the heart of all the restaurants, bars shops ect. I have everything I need in walking distance.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Hey LA-GAF!

Compton

Hey LA-GAF!

You can find something in the price range closer to work. That's a lot of gas money to factor in on top of rent.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Live closer if possible. Not worth the cost of your soul while you waste 3 hours in traffic a day.
Gas, time, stress, and car wear are very real things to weigh.

Hey LA-GAF!

I would look around the 710, since Commerce is off that, and traffic on the 710 is generally pretty okay. Where it ends in the north is pretty okay, as well (El Sereno/Monterey Park/Alhambra)

Clipjoint

Hey LA-GAF!

If you're working in Commerce and safety is your #1 priority, I would stick to South Pasadena or Los Feliz. Silver Lake is nice, but you probably won't find a 1 bedroom for $1,500. Same with Downtown LA, but it's not the safest.

I can't stress enough how important it is to try to live near where you work. If you can keep your commute under 30 minutes, your quality of life will be way higher.

Zyzyxxz

If you're working in Commerce and safety is your #1 priority, I would stick to South Pasadena or Los Feliz. Silver Lake is nice, but you probably won't find a 1 bedroom for $1,500. Same with Downtown LA, but it's not the safest.

I can't stress enough how important it is to try to live near where you work. If you can keep your commute under 30 minutes, your quality of life will be way higher.

Monterey Park is a nice quiet area and its not crazy expensive while being right next to the 710. If Asian food is your thing, otherwise it's pretty boring out here unless you want to chase Asian tail but that's a different challenge.

Clipjoint

Monterey Park is a nice quiet area and its not crazy expensive while being right next to the 710. If Asian food is your thing, otherwise it's pretty boring out here unless you want to chase Asian tail but that's a different challenge.

I like Monterey Park, but yeah, not much going on there. Shin Sen Gumi Yakitori is one of my favorites though.

A couple more suggestions for living near Commerce...there's quite a few Lincoln Heights residents here from what I remember. It's not the safest area, but I enjoyed living there. Echo Park is close to just about everything, but some areas are a little sketchy. Sadly, $1,500 is towards the low end of rents for a one-bedroom, so you better start looking for a steal if you can find one. Check Padmapper every day.

I like Monterey Park, but yeah, not much going on there. Shin Sen Gumi Yakitori is one of my favorites though.

A couple more suggestions for living near Commerce...there's quite a few Lincoln Heights residents here from what I remember. It's not the safest area, but I enjoyed living there. Echo Park is close to just about everything, but some areas are a little sketchy. Sadly, $1,500 is towards the low end of rents for a one-bedroom, so you better start looking for a steal if you can find one. Check Padmapper every day.

What?

I pay less, have a 900ft 1br with a walk in closet. One of the nicest and safe parts of central LA in Los Feliz too. I would say avg 1br starts around 1100 in central LA. Depends where you look, I haven't seen anything above 2k thats worth it's own price so 1500 is right in the middle.

Same with Downtown LA, but it's not the safest.

Downtown LA is actually very safe. It's the neighborhoods south of Downtown, around USC, that you want to avoid. However, Downtown has become so expensive over the past few years that I doubt there would be anything within your price range. Echo Park/ Silver Lake/ Los Feliz/ Highland Park is your best bet.

My father is going through chemo again so I am spending the summer with him in Fresno. I hate this town I just want to go back to the LA area.

Anyways, if everything works out I will probably be moving out of Northridge in February. A buddy of mine is moving from Austin and he wants to get an apartment together. Not sure where he wants to move but I think the company he works for has a place close to downtown so I might just move closer to DTLA and drive to class. I have two semesters left and only go to class two days out of the week. I also start my next GI Bill which is $2,000/m. That money plus what he makes should get us an alright apartment.

NSSR

Neo Member
Hi LA-GAF! Does anyone own a 3DS, and if so, in your experience where has been the best place to pick up Streetpass tags?

I seem to get the most in Little Tokyo or down in Torrance/Gardena where all the Japanese markets are...

Sorry about the late response, still getting used to actually working at a real job

An hour and a half-2 hours

Damn it...

What? No.

Why live so far away? Move to Los Feliz, it's very safe and exactly in your price range. I pay a bit under 1500 and have a nice size 1br. It's very safe and close enough to the subway if you don't want to drive.

The best spots are right center in Los Feliz, between Vermont and HillHurst, below ambrose and above sunset. It's in the heart of all the restaurants, bars shops ect. I have everything I need in walking distance.

I'll check that out, thanks!

I'd be too terrified to even drive thru there in colored shirts, let alone live there

You can find something in the price range closer to work. That's a lot of gas money to factor in on top of rent.
Man, I'm horrid at judging LA distance. Here in TX, the distance from Pasadena to Commerce is like a 10 minute drive...

I would look around the 710, since Commerce is off that, and traffic on the 710 is generally pretty okay. Where it ends in the north is pretty okay, as well (El Sereno/Monterey Park/Alhambra)

Thanks for the advice!

Sweet. So far, I'll be checking out Los Feliz, anywhere along 710, and possibly South Pasadena. Appreciate the help guys!

Padmapper? Thanks! I was looking for a place online to look for apartments. That number isn't set in stone for rent either, so that's fine. I'll add those to my list

What?

I pay less, have a 900ft 1br with a walk in closet. One of the nicest and safe parts of central LA in Los Feliz too. I would say avg 1br starts around 1100 in central LA. Depends where you look, I haven't seen anything above 2k thats worth it's own price so 1500 is right in the middle.
Man, Los Feliz is sounding like where i want to aim for, after looking around on Google Maps South Pasadena is actually closer (my job is off of Highway 5). Plus 710 is also right by my job, so I guess I'll be checking out the Lincoln/Echo park/El Sereno/Monterey Park/Alhambra area (depending on how safe it looks) and then South Pasadena first! I'll then check out Los Feliz, if 5 is fairly low on traffic.

One last crappy question: are all highways as bad as people make them out to be? I've read (in is thread I think) that 405 is the shitty one, but are the ones like 5, 10, and 110 that bad too? Hearing that 710 isn't that bad is giving me hope. Thanks again guys!

Clipjoint

Padmapper? Thanks! I was looking for a place online to look for apartments. That number isn't set in stone for rent either, so that's fine. I'll add those to my list

Man, Los Feliz is sounding like where i want to aim for, after looking around on Google Maps South Pasadena is actually closer (my job is off of Highway 5). Plus 710 is also right by my job, so I guess I'll be checking out the Lincoln/Echo park/El Sereno/Monterey Park/Alhambra area (depending on how safe it looks) and then South Pasadena first! I'll then check out Los Feliz, if 5 is fairly low on traffic.

One last crappy question: are all highways as bad as people make them out to be? I've read (in is thread I think) that 405 is the shitty one, but are the ones like 5, 10, and 110 that bad too? Hearing that 710 isn't that bad is giving me hope. Thanks again guys!

The 5 isn't too bad. If you're living in Los Feliz, you'll probably make it to Commerce in 20 mins in the morning, and probably 30-45 heading back in the evening if you're heading out around 5 or 6pm. Are you working near the Citadel Outlets?

Top Bottom