• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Padmapper? Thanks! I was looking for a place online to look for apartments. That number isn't set in stone for rent either, so that's fine. I'll add those to my list

Man, Los Feliz is sounding like where i want to aim for, after looking around on Google Maps South Pasadena is actually closer (my job is off of Highway 5). Plus 710 is also right by my job, so I guess I'll be checking out the Lincoln/Echo park/El Sereno/Monterey Park/Alhambra area (depending on how safe it looks) and then South Pasadena first! I'll then check out Los Feliz, if 5 is fairly low on traffic.

One last crappy question: are all highways as bad as people make them out to be? I've read (in is thread I think) that 405 is the shitty one, but are the ones like 5, 10, and 110 that bad too? Hearing that 710 isn't that bad is giving me hope. Thanks again guys!

It can be bad. If you look in the area I mentioned it's right off of los feliz blvd. Definitely look on the streets parallel and adjacent to vermont. You'll be within 5 min of the 5, so getting to work won't be much of an issue.

The estimate of 20 min and up to 45 with bad traffic sounds about right. Traffic can easily double your travel times.

The 5 isn't too bad. If you're living in Los Feliz, you'll probably make it to Commerce in 20 mins in the morning, and probably 30-45 heading back in the evening if you're heading out around 5 or 6pm. Are you working near the Citadel Outlets?

Not sure. I only know the address at the moment (it's off of Highway 5, like a mile from 710). And 20-45 minutes sounds good enough for me. I'll check out Los Feliz now too

It can be bad. If you look in the area I mentioned it's right off of los feliz blvd. Definitely look on the streets parallel and adjacent to vermont. You'll be within 5 min of the 5, so getting to work won't be much of an issue.

The estimate of 20 min and up to 45 with bad traffic sounds about right. Traffic can easily double your travel times.
If it means that I'll be in a good neighborhood, I'm fine with that. I really appreciate the help guys. I'd be completely lost without the help of people from this thread.

Not sure. I only know the address at the moment (it's off of Highway 5, like a mile from 710). And 20-45 minutes sounds good enough for me. I'll check out Los Feliz now too

If it means that I'll be in a good neighborhood, I'm fine with that. I really appreciate the help guys. I'd be completely lost without the help of people from this thread.

Yeah man, when I moved here two years ago I had a hard time finding a place. My girlfriend in particular wanted something with metro access so it was hard to find a nice neighborhood. We fortunately knew someone out here who told us exactly where to look.

LA GAF is best GAF.

Negator

I'll be heading into LA next month for Anime Expo and lingering around until EVO starts. Going to try out as many places to eat as possible.

Are there any particularly noteworthy joints that have opened since last year?

Just moved back to LA from Fort Worth (thank God).. Got a place in Los Feliz and was wondering what some of yalls favorite places were in Thai town? Ive heard Jitlada but there menu isnt the biggest... Thanks!

Hey LA-GAF,

I'm heading down to LA with a group of seven (we're all from Vancouver, BC) from August 14th-18th. We're in our mid twenties and we plan to go to Six Flags on one of those days. The other days, we haven't really decided but we relaly wanna check out K-Town and see what it's all about. Word on the street is that it's a really cool place, and my buddies and I all like Asians so it's win-win!

Are there any places you guys could recommend we go? We plan on staying in downtown LA. We just wanna kick back and enjoy beautiful LA. hahaha

Anyway, thanks for the help!

If you are staying downtown, make sure to check out the area around 4th and Main. There's a ton of interesting food, shopping, and restaurants around there. Baco Mercat, which is right on that intersection, is constantly rated as one of, if not the best restaurants in downtown. Another great restaurant is Bottega Louie, on 7th St and and Hope. Make sure you get there early though, since it's never not packed. A personal favorite of mine, just down the street from Bottega Louie on 7th is Mo-Chica, which is modern Peruvian. For a little bit more 'fine dining', Alma on Broadway and Olympic is one of the best restaurants in the city. Have fun! Downtown is my favorite place in the city, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Anyone in LA GAF looking for a TV?

I'm driving back to Florida and I'm trying to offload most of my belongings for gas money and such. It's a 42 inch TCL LCD HDTV.

PG2G

Hey LA-GAF,

I'm heading down to LA with a group of seven (we're all from Vancouver, BC) from August 14th-18th. We're in our mid twenties and we plan to go to Six Flags on one of those days. The other days, we haven't really decided but we relaly wanna check out K-Town and see what it's all about. Word on the street is that it's a really cool place, and my buddies and I all like Asians so it's win-win! !

Would not recommend koreatown nightlife unless you're with someone familiar with it. It seems like all the places worth going to in koreatown are fairly hidden.

If you guys really like Asians, there is pretty much always an Asian night at a club in either Hollywood or Downtown la. If you're non Asian, you'd be better off going to a more mixed place though imo.

Clipjoint

Would not recommend koreatown nightlife unless you're with someone familiar with it. It seems like all the places worth going to in koreatown are fairly hidden.

If you guys really like Asians, there is pretty much always an Asian night at a club in either Hollywood or Downtown la. If you're non Asian, you'd be better off going to a more mixed place though imo.

Agree with this 100%. To do K-Town right you have to roll with a native.

Clipjoint

Quick (vague) note to LA GAF...I know a lot of people are struggling to find work these days. If you're looking, shoot me a note with your particular skill set/experience level. No promises, but through my job I'm always meeting people who are looking for good candidates. It's probably a long-shot, but I'd love to help someone out who's struggling to find a gig.

Quick! I need a Korean BBQ place. I have in laws in town and they want to try Korean BBQ tonight. I've been to Tahoe Galbi and Palsaik Samgyupsal. Are there any other places I should check out? I'm leaning towards Tahoe and will probably end up there if I don't hear a case for someplace else.

Quick! I need a Korean BBQ place. I have in laws in town and they want to try Korean BBQ tonight. I've been to Tahoe Galbi and Palsaik Samgyupsal. Are there any other places I should check out? I'm leaning towards Tahoe and will probably end up there if I don't hear a case for someplace else.

Hae Jang Chon is popular. Make a reservation if you dont wanna wait over an hour and a half...

Padmapper? Thanks! I was looking for a place online to look for apartments. That number isn't set in stone for rent either, so that's fine. I'll add those to my list

Man, Los Feliz is sounding like where i want to aim for, after looking around on Google Maps South Pasadena is actually closer (my job is off of Highway 5). Plus 710 is also right by my job, so I guess I'll be checking out the Lincoln/Echo park/El Sereno/Monterey Park/Alhambra area (depending on how safe it looks) and then South Pasadena first! I'll then check out Los Feliz, if 5 is fairly low on traffic.

One last crappy question: are all highways as bad as people make them out to be? I've read (in is thread I think) that 405 is the shitty one, but are the ones like 5, 10, and 110 that bad too? Hearing that 710 isn't that bad is giving me hope. Thanks again guys!

Ok, time for some real talk. If you're living in Los Feliz you will have to cross the east LA interchange and that SUCKS if you're working in the morning. Commerce is on the east side of LA so I would suggest living in that general area. South Pasadena is a really safe area with access to Pasadena and close to some ghetto fab places. If you leave for work early enough you pass through Alhambra in the streets to the 710 to commerce you would make it in no time (half hour or less). To me this is the best option. Or you can live in Alhambra (I live there) and it has some pretty good bars and if you're into asian things there are plenty of places around here. It's closer to Commerce and probably cheaper to live than South Pasadena. Monterey Park is even closer but a bit more ghetto and pretty boring. Montebello is even CLOSER but this is where you need to start getting the gangsta warning label here. Don't live in Commerce unless you're latino.

Hae Jang Chon is popular. Make a reservation if you dont wanna wait over an hour and a half...
Thanks for the suggestion. We ended up going to Oo-Kook. My brother in law was told by a friend his to go so that's where he wanted to go. The food was really good and the service was better than I've had at other Korean BBQ places.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
31 year old divorced male looking for the best area where the music (hip-hop with some rock/punk leanings) and film/youtube star communities are relatively accessible and open to newcomers that won't break my bank. $1100 or under for 1 BR... GAF, help me find a place in LA to live.... please.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
What's the rent like in Irvine? Might have a job opp there...

Pretty expensive for a single bedroom... at least $1,400-1,500/mo for anything good. The Irvine Company owns like 95% of the apartments here and they keep rents higher than they should be, especially given how old some of their apartments are. If you're gonna be working more in north Irvine, I'd take a look at Costa Mesa if you wanna save on rent but still be close to work. PM me if you want to get into more specifics

31 year old divorced male looking for the best area where the music (hip-hop with some rock/punk leanings) and film/youtube star communities are relatively accessible and open to newcomers that won't break my bank. $1100 or under for 1 BR... GAF, help me find a place in LA to live.... please.
just moved to NoHo (north Hollywood) and that'll all it is. Kids dancing, rehearsing on the sidewalks outside of studios, theaters, etc. Metro access takes you right to Hollywood and downtown.

Guys whats has been the best steak you have had here in LA?
Lawrys for me is the best bang for your buck. there used to be a place in BH that was named Porterhouse but they closed :(

Where can I get the best steak? I know Ruth Chris on Beverly is good.

Also that Brazilian place on La Cienega is OMG good.

Guys whats has been the best steak you have had here in LA?
Lawrys for me is the best bang for your buck. there used to be a place in BH that was named Porterhouse but they closed :(

Where can I get the best steak? I know Ruth Chris on Beverly is good.

Also that Brazilian place on La Cienega is OMG good.
Mastros is my choice. My favorite cut from there is the Kansas City cut. It's basically a New York strip but they leave the bone on the meat.

A few months ago, I put my kid into a martial arts class in Chinatown. What this means practically is that I'm forced out of the house and city (Pasadena) every week, where otherwise I'd be inclined to stay close to home. It also gets me to knock places off my Yelp checklist.

Yang Chow - Chinatown: not bad but definitely aimed for tourists. Too sweet and too expensive.

World 8 - game store on Vermont: nice store, lots of stuff going in, but a crowded small space.

Baby Blues BBQ - Venice Beach: skimpy on the beef and sorta pricy. That's the extent if my criticism because every other part of it was GREAT.

A few months ago, I put my kid into a martial arts class in Chinatown. What this means practically is that I'm forced out of the house and city (Pasadena) every week, where otherwise I'd be inclined to stay close to home. It also gets me to knock places off my Yelp checklist.

Yang Chow - Chinatown: not bad but definitely aimed for tourists. Too sweet and too expensive.

World 8 - game store on Vermont: nice store, lots of stuff going in, but a crowded small space.

Baby Blues BBQ - Venice Beach: skimpy on the beef and sorta pricy. That's the extent if my criticism because every other part of it was GREAT.

Yang Chow being aimed at tourists is surprising to me since it's practically invisible where it's at. That said I fucking love that slippery shrimp.

Haven't been to world 8.

Baby Blues is good except for their cornbread, which they've somehow managed to fuck up. I don't know how.

Baby Blues service sucks!!!
both while you are there, and especially phone ordering!!!!!!!!!

I had Umami burger for the first time on Saturday. It was amazing. My fries were layered on top of melted fkn cheese that was like a fondue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gift from god.

Yang Chow being aimed at tourists is surprising to me since it's practically invisible where it's at. That said I fucking love that slippery shrimp.

Haven't been to world 8.

Baby Blues is good except for their cornbread, which they've somehow managed to fuck up. I don't know how.

It's hard not to like fried, sweet hot shrimp. Still it's pricy, and all the celebrity photos on every wall raised my eyebrows a bit. It was good don't get me wrong, but we can get better for cheaper.

Baby Blues puts MOLASSES in their cornbread. I think it's gotta be a love/hate thing. My family lands in the "love" camp.

Next up, BBQ Chicken Rancho, down the street from Kyochon in Koreatown.

There's a Unami opened in Old Town and we'll get around to it eventually. But we're really looking forward to the Coolhaus storefront when that finally opens.

Oh also, Slaters 50/50 is the joint.

Haven't been to world 8.

I keep telling myself that I am going to go and get some slippery shrimp because you suggested it but I always forget.

Where are the best places to eat in Chinatown?

Baby Blues puts MOLASSES in their cornbread. I think it's gotta be a love/hate thing. My family lands in the "love" camp.

Hmm... I don't think that's it, because I love molasses. But both times I got the cornbread it was dry and mostly flavorless, and the big corn chunks were kinda chewy. I stopped getting it after the 2nd time.

Hmm... I don't think that's it, because I love molasses. But both times I got the cornbread it was dry and mostly flavorless, and the big corn chunks were kinda chewy. I stopped getting it after the 2nd time.
Our portion was moist and rich, which prompted me to ask the server what they'd put in it (along with the fact that it was much darker than cornbread usually is.

Has anyone been to Cafe Cola, over in Covina? If you haven't, then you really should.

Zyzyxxz

Come to the Grand Central Market and check out my food stall! "Sticky Rice". We're part of a new wave of hipster/gentrifying vendors trying to revitalize the market. Also I'd recommend checking out Horse Thief BBQ in the market as well, probably best BBQ in LA right now.

Come to the Grand Central Market and check out my food stall! "Sticky Rice". We're part of a new wave of hipster/gentrifying vendors trying to revitalize the market. Also I'd recommend checking out Horse Thief BBQ in the market as well, probably best BBQ in LA right now.

Consider it done.

Top Bottom