• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Giggzy

Any gaffers been to wurstkutche? I've heard great things about the beer and bratwurst selection. I'll be going this weekend and I'm extremely giddy about it. I love me some good beer. Any recommendations?

For relatively recent transplants who don't like the smog, just remember: it used to be MUCH MUCH worse. This is a pic of Century City from 1980:

fa_778_centurycitysmog970.jpg

More info here.

For comparison, the ozone level on the day this picture was taken was about 10x what it is today.

FStop7

Banned
That Amber Alert thing...

So near San Diego apparently there were 3 of them. The last one was state wide.

I think it's a noble idea but in practice it's going to annoy/alienate people and they'll opt out.

Most people are at home at that time of night so they're not going to go out looking. And many of the rest are in their cars which means it's illegal for them to check their phones.

Anyone in the film/tv industry in LA trying to get my foot in the door in suggestions ?

PA work, you're not going to get paid for quite a while, so be prepared for that. Film days are long (12 hours) and sometimes if you're working on a set you won't know till the night before what time to arrive.. If you don't care what you're doing learn to do Grip/Electric work for them.

Also mandy.com and craigslist is a good place.

You're first jobs are gonna be college gigs, which aren't paid, but they'll feed you, and that's about it, but you'll make contacts and if you do good work and have a good attitude people will remember that and refer you to other jobs.

edit: I did quite a bit of film work and have friends that do it for a living, I hope that helps and feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Nakazato

PA work, you're not going to get paid for quite a while, so be prepared for that. Film days are long (12 hours) and sometimes if you're working on a set you won't know till the night before what time to arrive.. If you don't care what you're doing learn to do Grip/Electric work for them.

Also mandy.com and craigslist is a good place.

You're first jobs are gonna be college gigs, which aren't paid, but they'll feed you, and that's about it, but you'll make contacts and if you do good work and have a good attitude people will remember that and refer you to other jobs.

edit: I did quite a bit of film work and have friends that do it for a living, I hope that helps and feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

Will do thanks :) just moved from FL. Been PAing on Reality shows for about 3 years have some AP and 2AD experience as well. Just looking for my 1st gig in LA been tough lol

Since we're on the topic of film - does anybody know anyone that is working at a post-audio house in LA? I'm going out to LA for ten weeks starting Sept 1st and I'm looking around for a place to intern at. I know this is random, but might as well ask.

I can't wait to live in LA for a bit. I'm currently in Chicago right now, so it'll be a nice change of pace

So I finally moved to LA and am in the process of looking for film work.

Is there any fun things to do that someone poor and lonely can do? I'm thinking of heading to griffith park since I live so close.

So I finally moved to LA and am in the process of looking for film work.

Is there any fun things to do that someone poor and lonely can do? I'm thinking of heading to griffith park since I live so close.
Griffith Observatory is cool. Go during sunset and watch the city light up as it gets dark.
If you go to Hollywood ignore the people in costume. They are glorified pan handlers and are aggressive as fuck.
Go check out a movie at Grauman's Chinese. It's a beautiful building and amazing inside.
If you are into cult films or revivals check out the schedule for the New Beverly. Really cool crowd and shows great movies.
Along those same lines, the Nuart does midnight showings of old movies on Fridays and Rocky Horror on Sat (if you're into that)
Hit up a taco truck. You can go to one of the plethora of gourmet trucks or just hit up an old school taco truck serving good cheap food.
Stay away from Pink's. There is always a line and it's never worth it.
My favorite breakfast place is The Griddle on Sunset and Fairfax. Great pancakes and gigantic portions.

Bollocks

Ok so I'm in LA (Santa Monica) next month. First time btw.
Should I make a day trip down to San Diego while I'm there?
I would like to, distance seems reasonable for a day trip but I feel like there's not much difference compared to LA?

Griffith Observatory is cool. Go during sunset and watch the city light up as it gets dark.
If you go to Hollywood ignore the people in costume. They are glorified pan handlers and are aggressive as fuck.
Go check out a movie at Grauman's Chinese. It's a beautiful building and amazing inside.
If you are into cult films or revivals check out the schedule for the New Beverly. Really cool crowd and shows great movies.
Along those same lines, the Nuart does midnight showings of old movies on Fridays and Rocky Horror on Sat (if you're into that)
Hit up a taco truck. You can go to one of the plethora of gourmet trucks or just hit up an old school taco truck serving good cheap food.
Stay away from Pink's. There is always a line and it's never worth it.
My favorite breakfast place is The Griddle on Sunset and Fairfax. Great pancakes and gigantic portions.

Other great places for movie revivals is the Aero Theater on Montana and The Egyptian on Hollywood. They only show old movies, and frequently have directors/ cast members gve Q&As before hand. I saw Christopher Nolan give a Q&A in front of Memento, Stanley Donen in front of Singing in the Rain, Werner Herzog in front of Aguirre, The Wrath of God, and many more.

Ok so I'm in LA (Santa Monica) next month. First time btw.
Should I make a day trip down to San Diego while I'm there?
I would like to, distance seems reasonable for a day trip but I feel like there's not much difference compared to LA?

I actually like San Diego a lot, but I'd allocate more then a day for it. Last time I drove down there it took five hours.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
OMG, just had Cici's Cafe in Tarzana. It has the best breakfast in the Valley, maybe all of LA.

yeah it's good.

also nearby that's really good is The Little Door. Cash only. Ask for homemade salsa.

If you want to venture to LA. The Salt's Cure is one of my current faves for brunch. Great biscuits and gravy

WJD

Sup LA-GAF, I'm coming to your wonderful city in a couple of weeks and it's my girlfriends birthday while we're there. Just wondering if there are any recommended restaurants I could take her to as a birthday treat? Nothing hideously expensive, but still nice.

Thanks!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Sup LA-GAF, I'm coming to your wonderful city in a couple of weeks and it's my girlfriends birthday while we're there. Just wondering if there are any recommended restaurants I could take her to as a birthday treat? Nothing hideously expensive, but still nice.

Thanks!

Animal (small plates, you like red meat). Son of a Gun (small plates, you prefer chicken and seafood). Mozza (LA's favorite pizzeria - Mario Batali + Nancy Silverton). Spice Table (smallish plates, Southeast Asian). Baco Mercat (small plates, specializing in new form of flatbread sandwhiches and pizza). Church and State (casualish french bistro with good food).

Most of those can be reasonable or expensive, depending on how much you order. Nice meals, but nothing extravagant and all fairly casual dining envinronments with awesome food.

Animal (small plates, you like red meat). Son of a Gun (small plates, you prefer chicken and seafood). Mozza (LA's favorite pizzeria - Mario Batali + Nancy Silverton). Spice Table (smallish plates, Southeast Asian). Baco Mercat (small plates, specializing in new form of flatbread sandwhiches and pizza). Church and State (casualish french bistro with good food).

Most of those can be reasonable or expensive, depending on how much you order. Nice meals, but nothing extravagant and all fairly casual dining envinronments with awesome food.

Note that if you're going to Mozza make a reservation ASAP, they fill up well in advance.

Hindle

Banned
Sup LA Gaf. I've got a question about your city.

How much would a taxi fare return from downtown LA to Venice Beach be? I'm visiting pretty soon so the help is needed.

Thanks

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

How much would a taxi fare return from downtown LA to Venice Beach be? I'm visiting pretty soon so the help is needed.

Thanks

probably 60-70 bucks each way. not cheap. there might be some bus routes that'd work. not sure. eventually there would be a subway that'll get you to santa monica from downtown, but not yet

Thanks

The Big Blue Bus 10 goes from Downtown to Santa Monica via the 10 freeway, where you could hook up with the Big Blue Bus 1 in SM down to Venice, total cost like 3 bucks, probably? Would take you like an hour/hour and a half or so. There are quite a few pickup stops for the 10 in downtown, going from Union, to the financial core, then down to the 10.

Thanks!
Church and State is my wife and I's current favorite restaurant. It's located in downtown in the arts district. Besides being really close to Skid Row the area is beautiful. The restaurant is in the old Nabisco building and is on the same street as a nice wine bar and million dollar lofts. Parking is good too. There is free street parking, if you can find it, if not there is a lot that only costs five bucks to park. The prices at the restaurant aren't too bad and, while they can get busy, getting a reservation is not hard at all. When we go we usually forgo the dishes and go for a mix of different apps and smaller plate items. Really the best way to do it. My favorites off of the menu is the bone marrow, Planche de Charcuterie, the mussels and fries, and the Foie de Volaille. If you do want to go with an actual dish I'm a fan of the pork belly.

The cocktails are also very good too, with my favorite being Blood and Smoke. Blood and Smoke is a scotch based cocktail with blood orange, lime, bitters, and mezcal.

Damn now I want to go again.

Thanks

There's an MTA bus that runs straight down Venice from downtown to the beach. Probably only cost a few bucks but ALOT cheaper than a taxi. Downside is that it's a loong ride across the width of the city.

Edit because we Angelinos owe you an apology. The MTA website is such horseshit that its impossible to determine from there how you should get around. I love my city but there's a profound contempt here for people that don't drive. Our public transit is straight garbage.

Your best option if possible is to rent a car. Failing that, take a taxi but be prepared to pay out the ass for it. If you have nothing but time and want to go cheap as possible, take the bus.

There's an MTA bus that runs straight down Venice from downtown to the beach. Probably only cost a few bucks but ALOT cheaper than a taxi. Downside is that it's a loong ride across the width of the city.

Ah, yeah, the 33 line will get you there. I guess there's also a 733 express line as well these days, which would be the quickest.

beat

Edit because we Angelinos owe you an apology. The MTA website is such horseshit that its impossible to determine from there how you should get around. I love my city but there's a profound contempt here for people that don't drive. Our public transit is straight garbage.
Given the size of the city, LA's transit isn't that bad. Definitely use Google Maps for bus routes and traffic conditions. Use Metro's app for NextBus service. Check Metro's alerts twitter feed for last minute news and try to use their light and heavy rail where possible because you can avoid traffic that way. Or pay extra (maybe?) for the buses that take freeways during off-peak hours.

If you want to get rides, Uber X/Sidecar/Lyft may be cheaper than cabs. Install those apps now.

Zyzyxxz

Is Honda-Ya any good? I'm going to be around downtown next week and a friend wants to have Yakitori.

It's mediocre, they have a super huge menu and do some things fine but alot of things are just kinda meh. Better yakitori can be had at Kokekokko if you can get past their preferred treatment for regular customers but IMO the best yakitori isn't going to found in Downtown anyway, just that I'd go there over Honda Ya for sure.

Argyle

Just wanted to pop in and say that Goma Ichi (appearing at that ramen festival) makes a pretty solid tan tan men. Worth trying if you like tan tan men, especially since Chin Ma Ya is gone iirc...

It's mediocre, they have a super huge menu and do some things fine but alot of things are just kinda meh. Better yakitori can be had at Kokekokko if you can get past their preferred treatment for regular customers but IMO the best yakitori isn't going to found in Downtown anyway, just that I'd go there over Honda Ya for sure.
We will be downtown. So either of those two places work.

WJD

Church and State is my wife and I's current favorite restaurant. It's located in downtown in the arts district. Besides being really close to Skid Row the area is beautiful. The restaurant is in the old Nabisco building and is on the same street as a nice wine bar and million dollar lofts. Parking is good too. There is free street parking, if you can find it, if not there is a lot that only costs five bucks to park. The prices at the restaurant aren't too bad and, while they can get busy, getting a reservation is not hard at all. When we go we usually forgo the dishes and go for a mix of different apps and smaller plate items. Really the best way to do it. My favorites off of the menu is the bone marrow, Planche de Charcuterie, the mussels and fries, and the Foie de Volaille. If you do want to go with an actual dish I'm a fan of the pork belly.

The cocktails are also very good too, with my favorite being Blood and Smoke. Blood and Smoke is a scotch based cocktail with blood orange, lime, bitters, and mezcal.

Damn now I want to go again.

Thanks guys, will look into them later!

Top Bottom