• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

JEKKI

ramen festival was horrible!! lol.

so speaking of things that I hope won't be horrible:

http://realescapegame.com/regla01/

they're bringing real escape game to LA!!

reg_LA01_keyvisual640.png

I'm trying to solicit friends to join a team with me, but in case of no success maybe we can get a GAF team?? lol.

check out the yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/real-escape-room-san-francisco

the SF valley as a whole is a shit hole.
also omg fukk anybody who tries to crap on the SF valley.

I grew up in Lancaster.

u wanna talk about shit hole? grow up in Lancaster/Palmdale/Barstow/Victorville/etc, otherwise realize how blessed you are to have not lived here.

I enjoyed living in Northridge much more than I like it here in OC.

JEKKI

maaaaaaaaaaan u kno what else sucks about LA??

the freakin Fresh & Easy iphone app!!

like every time u open it u gotta re-enter your password... it never just remembers it!!

and then you can bring up your members barcode, but the freakin scanners wont work trying to scan an iphone screen!!

let alone any coupons they give you!!!

it's like yo what's the use anyway?!?!

Are LA Meetups still happening these days? I've always wanted to attend one.
there's one happening on Nov 4-6 at iam8bit!!!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm next to the park off of Tujunga in NoHo. It's the Valley and not too bad either. Just depends on where you live.

i used to live on Tujunga between ventura and moorpark. great area.

moved out to Encino cause I bought a place. I love my new place, but I do miss that neighborhood

JEKKI

Wow. That sounds fun. I'm coming from Santa Monica though so I don't think I could make the 7pm. Maybe the 9:30?
I'm coming from OC! lol

9:30 is good tho, gives enough time to grab dinner before =P

gotta propose it to my friends now! all 2 of them lol (so there's still plenty of space on the team!)

Hey guys, I recently got a job out in LA. Santa Monica specifically.

I'm moving from Chicago and was wondering if you could throw some advice my way as what to look out for as far as apartments/transportation goes. I imagine a car is an absolute necessity. Anyone looking for roommates?

Hello fellow LA Gaf! Awesome weather right?! :D anyways I figured this might be the best place to ask. So I need to visit 3 different museums for two of my classes this weekend, now one of them must be the museum of contemporary art, but the other two are up to me (for anthropology). Now I figured I could visit the natural history museum but after that I'm stuck, any advise on what other museum I could visit? I would prefer it if was near or on the way to either the art or natural history museum. I live in the valley and never really go to downtown LA (been here for 25+ years and have never gone to a museum :( )

freshair

Hello fellow LA Gaf! Awesome weather right?! :D anyways I figured this might be the best place to ask. So I need to visit 3 different museums for two of my classes this weekend, now one of them must be the museum of contemporary art, but the other two are up to me (for anthropology). Now I figured I could visit the natural history museum but after that I'm stuck, any advise on what other museum I could visit? I would prefer it if was near or on the way to either the art or natural history museum. I live in the valley and never really go to downtown LA (been here for 25+ years and have never gone to a museum :( )

Museum of Jurassic Technology?

he museum calls itself "an educational institution dedicated to the advancement of knowledge and the public appreciation of the Lower Jurassic";[3] the relevance of the term "Lower Jurassic" to the museum's collections is left uncertain and unexplained.[4] The museum's collection includes a mixture of artistic, scientific, ethnographic, and historic, as well as some unclassifiable exhibits, and the diversity of its offerings evokes the cabinets of curiosities that were the 16th century predecessors of modern natural history museums.

MJT is a little out of the way for him.

On the way to downtown from the valley, you could do the Autry Museum at Griffith Park.

In Downtown there is the Japanese American Museum (close to MoCA, California African American Museum (Close to Nat History Museum.

Also, its not too far off from the valley, but you could do either Skirball or the Getty, both in the Sepulveda Pass. Farther down at UCLA is both the Fowler Museum and the Hammer Museum.

That sounds awesome but a little too far considering all the other museums that would be closer. Thanks though.

MJT is a little out of the way for him.

On the way to downtown from the valley, you could do the Autry Museum at Griffith Park.

In Downtown there is the Japanese American Museum (close to MoCA, California African American Museum (Close to Nat History Museum.

Also, its not too far off from the valley, but you could do either Skirball or the Getty, both in the Sepulveda Pass. Farther down at UCLA is both the Fowler Museum and the Hammer Museum.

Thanks I will check them out and pick one, that really helps!

DTLA is awesome. The NHM is a good choice. Also, go to the Paige Museum on Wilshire next to LACMA, which has a substantial area that talks about early humans in Los Angeles.

DTLA is awesome. The NHM is a good choice. Also, go to the Paige Museum on Wilshire next to LACMA, which has a substantial area that talks about early humans in Los Angeles.

Oh that sounds perfect thanks! I hate traffic so I've always avoided going DT lol the farthest I would go was Sunset or Staples Center/LA Convention for special events, otherwise I just stick to west valley/Malibu or Burbank

beat

Hey guys, I recently got a job out in LA. Santa Monica specifically.

I'm moving from Chicago and was wondering if you could throw some advice my way as what to look out for as far as apartments/transportation goes. I imagine a car is an absolute necessity. Anyone looking for roommates?

What to look out for:

1) use Padmapper as one way to look for apartments.

2) Westside Rentals has mixed reviews; some people like it and some don't. If you want to use it, consider buying up the balance of someone else's account, I guess.

3) Apartments in LA very often don't have fridges provided by the landlords. I don't know why this is, but you're probably gonna have to provide your own.

4) Santa Monica and Culver City have their own bus systems. But to get around the rest of LA you'll probably need to take the LA Metro buses. (Santa Monica actually does operate an express line to downtown LA and a few other crosstown buses that go well into LA, but you may still need to transfer from there.) Individual fares are a pain in my opinion; I'd recommend a monthly pass or an EZ Pass TAP card if you're going to be riding buses across multiple systems.

5) If you want to catch cabs, use apps like Taxi Magic and (cheaper) Lyft, Sidecar, and Uber X.

6) A car definitely would be easier.

7) Santa Monica rents can be pretty expensive. A mile or two away, you might save a bunch of money.

8) Santa Monica is pretty fun, but it's far from most of the rest of LA. If you end up spending a lot of time in, say, Echo Park, busing might not be for you.

9) LA and West Hollywood have rent control. Santa Monica might, not sure. I don't know about Culver City. I do know other cities in the area might or might not have rent control; my friends got hit with a 20% or more rent increase and had to move. In LA, rent increases are capped at around 3 or 4% a year.

Has anyone been to the Wiltern before? I'm trying to buy Animal Collective tickets but it seems that suggests available is just the seats on the second level. Does anyone know if you can move down to general admission if you have tickets for upstairs?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Has anyone been to the Wiltern before? I'm trying to buy Animal Collective tickets but it seems that suggests available is just the seats on the second level. Does anyone know if you can move down to general admission if you have tickets for upstairs?

last time I went to the wiltern twice 4-5 years ago to see metal bands like Gojira, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom....with gen admission tix I could go both on the 2nd level seating and on the ground however there was "the pit" (close to the stage) section which required the "pit" ticket to be able to go through.. Not sure if the same rules apply today however you can ask the wiltern patrons inside, they'll be glad to help you out.

last time I went to the wiltern twice 4-5 years ago to see metal bands like Gojira, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom....with gen admission tix I could go both on the 2nd level seating and on the ground however there was "the pit" (close to the stage) section which required the "pit" ticket to be able to go through.. Not sure if the same rules apply today however you can ask the wiltern patrons inside, they'll be glad to help you out.

That's great to know. Thanks for the info. I'm really stoked about the show, I really hope I can get on the general admission floor. Did you like the venue? How did it sound?

I'm trying to imagine the pit at an Animal Collective show.

A bunch of blazed motherfuckers no doubt.

My girlfriend is going to come out for a little bit and we're going to get a hotel for one day to spend some time together (I live with a handful of roommates). We're looking for somewhere cheap (under 100 bucks if possible).. I'm thinking about getting a hotel somewhere like Long Beach, which might force us to check the area out when we're there for the day/night. If not Long Beach, then maybe get a hotel closer to Santa Monica/Venice. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is Long Beach cool or should I check other places?

I saw AnCo there in 2009 and had upstairs seats and wasn't allowed to go down to GA. No idea if it's different now but I doubt it.

Going to host a buddy's 40th bday. We are all ditching work next Monday and taking the metro red line. Any spots along the red line that you guys can suggest. Probably gonna share a pizza at Bodega Louise for lunch. Maybe drinks at the Standard rooftop. Bowling at Lucky Strikes. Any strip clubs or other entertainment off red line stops you guys can suggest?

Top Bottom