• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

hitsugi

Tamashii Ramen opened in NoHo. This is their black truffle oil ramen.

iyNdLPTy0sAtY.jpg

I think we've hit a point where I can say Studio City / Ventura Blvd has too many Ramen spots.

So I'm in LA for E3 and have a full day to do touristic activities. Where can I go to get good pics of the Hollywood sign? Might also take a trip to Universal Studios. Or do you guys have any better suggestions. I'm about a 10 minute walk away from Echo Park, if that helps.

So I'm in LA for E3 and have a full day to do touristic activities. Where can I go to get good pics of the Hollywood sign? Might also take a trip to Universal Studios. Or do you guys have any better suggestions. I'm about a 10 minute walk away from Echo Park, if that helps.
Make the most of your time by using the metro. You can go to universal, Hollywood, sunset, etc.

For the Hollywood sign, supposedly the best location to see it is 3000 Canyon Lake Drive, Hollywood. I've never been so I'm not sure what the scene is like, but it seems to get talked about the most.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/...o_up_because_they_are_going_to_raise_them.php

Rents are up and rising very fast, leaving fewer places around town where a renter might get a deal, and apparently we should all get used to it: about 78 percent of SoCal landlords are going to hike up their rents within the next 12 months, according to a survey from real estate brokerage firm Marcus & Millichap, as seen in the LA Times. About 70 percent of LA County landlords are planning to raise the rent, which is actually less than in Orange County and the Inland Empire. Those who'd hoped that all the apartment construction around town might help cap the price of apartments should abandon hope now because it doesn't have landlords fazed in the least. A rep for the firm that conducted the survey predicts that, due to several things (the economy's alright, jobs are bouncing back, and there's a population boom among those who are "prime renting age"), the demand for apartments will be so great in the next few years that new construction won't affect the demand for existing units.

I'm glad to be a homeowner now, because renting is turning out to be complete horseshit. But I'm old enough to remember when we had rent control, and they got rid of it, because "market forces" would keep rental prices competitive. Maybe we ought to bring it back....

JEKKI

GAF meetup?!?!

who's down for seeing SNOWPIERCER this weekend?!?!

(none of my personal and facebook friends have time / wanna see with me :(

child please

LA is only useful for venturing in during off-traffic hours and getting yummy food.

Otherwise, hellllllll no. Scary-ass motherfuckers everywhere.

*edit- You wanna see something special? South Coast Plaza on the weekend.

You quoted a post from two years ago by a banned member.

EDIT: The hottest chicks I have ever seen in SoCal was at that Fashion exhibit by LACMA a few months ago.

JEKKI

I live in OC.

come hang out with me at Macarthur Park in Long Beach around midnight, walking back to my car from the mexican restaurant.

I'll show u thangs about scary.

also, who wants to see Snowpiercer?

JEKKI

either anytime this weekend or thursday July 3rd (my FB invite says July 3 coz lots of ppl werent available this weekend, but even so I dont see anyone accepting the 3rd either)

it's showing at 2 theatres;

Sundance Cinema in WeHo

and

CGV Cinemas in K-Town

either anytime this weekend or thursday July 3rd (my FB invite says July 3 coz lots of ppl werent available this weekend, but even so I dont see anyone accepting the 3rd either)

it's showing at 2 theatres;

Sundance Cinema in WeHo

and

CGV Cinemas in K-Town

Shit, I'm going to watch Boyhood on the 3rd.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
yo LA GAF, which phone service is the best out there, specifically around Santa Monica? I'm on verizon now but I'm wondering if I have to leave.

yo LA GAF, which phone service is the best out there, specifically around Santa Monica? I'm on verizon now but I'm wondering if I have to leave.

Verizon is teh sexiness. Never had a dropped call ever. I know AT&T had a lot of deadzones in LA downtown but overall you can't go wrong with any plan if it's cost effective. Maybe just not metro pcs

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
You've been good to me so far, so I might as well ask if anyone knows of any good apartment complexes in Santa Monica? Looking for something newer with a fitness center inside. My budget is around $2000 for a 1BR.

Karram

So my lease is about to end and I'm thinking about to end and I'm thinking about moving to hermosa beach. I was wondering if anyone here had any bad experiences living there ? I really love how walkable it is, the temperature and the young crowd.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Any Gaffers down for a small meetup next Saturday (26th)? I used to live in LA and am gonna be in town for a week visiting. I've been to Gaf meetups in LA and NYC and they've always been great fun. I was thinking we could do KBBQ.

Let me know~

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Any Gaffers down for a small meetup next Saturday (26th)? I used to live in LA and am gonna be in town for a week visiting. I've been to Gaf meetups in LA and NYC and they've always been great fun. I was thinking we could do KBBQ.

Let me know~

SDCC may crimp your style a bit on LA GAF

Kyonashi

Sup LAGAF!

So I graduated from the University of London this month and I knew the first thing I wanted to do out of education was something crazy. So I've booked Airbnb accommodation (in Wilshire) and my flights, and I'm coming over to LA for three months from late October to January.

I was a film student and I'm (like everyone else) looking to break into the industry, but this trip is more to get a feel for the city, make friends and contacts who I can keep talking to once I return to the UK, with plans to get back to LA when it's possible to live and work there.

So for someone in my situation, where/what would you recommend for making friends, getting really into the city, and making the most of my time there?

Zyzyxxz

Sup LAGAF!

So I graduated from the University of London this month and I knew the first thing I wanted to do out of education was something crazy. So I've booked Airbnb accommodation (in Wilshire) and my flights, and I'm coming over to LA for three months from late October to January.

I was a film student and I'm (like everyone else) looking to break into the industry, but this trip is more to get a feel for the city, make friends and contacts who I can keep talking to once I return to the UK, with plans to get back to LA when it's possible to live and work there.

So for someone in my situation, where/what would you recommend for making friends, getting really into the city, and making the most of my time there?

Hang around all the hipster coffee shops (G&B, Blue Bottle, Intelligentsia, Cognescenti Coffee).

beat

If you're into comedy, take improv classes at UCB, iO, or Groundlings. Get into the "indie improv" scene too. And Channel 101. Anyone you know wants help making a web video, offer to help. Actually, you could start watching a lot of this stuff on YouTube now.

Oh, and I dunno if you should tell the border agents you're here to network. Just say you wanted to experience LA.

Kyonashi

Hang around all the hipster coffee shops (G&B, Blue Bottle, Intelligentsia, Cognescenti Coffee).

I've recently gotten into proper coffee (got an Aeropress and everything), are these places only hipster coffee shops or is the coffee actually good?

If you're into comedy, take improv classes at UCB, iO, or Groundlings. Get into the "indie improv" scene too. And Channel 101. Anyone you know wants help making a web video, offer to help. Actually, you could start watching a lot of this stuff on YouTube now.

Oh, and I dunno if you should tell the border agents you're here to network. Just say you wanted to experience LA.

Sounds awesome and something I'd definitely want to get into. I'm not really a fan of 'YouTube comedy' or really anything on YouTube at all, but can you recommend anything decent?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep it minimal at border control and just say I'm here for 'leisure' which is pretty much true, I don't have any plans to work.

beat

Sounds awesome and something I'd definitely want to get into. I'm not really a fan of 'YouTube comedy' or really anything on YouTube at all, but can you recommend anything decent?
This is probably lame of me, but I've never really gotten into Channel 101. But basically, it's a monthly short film/"TV" festival where people make five minute shorts as "pilots", and every month the audience votes on what they want to see more of, so pilots get "picked up" and existing series lose out if the audience no longer wants to see another episode. Anyways, it's online too at channel101.com.

Improv, well, NYComedyVideo posts new improv sets nearly weekly. It's from the NY UCB, but the style is fairly close to LA UCB. King Ten is a long-running IO improv team that puts many of their videos online. UCB "Beta" teams do scripted sketches for Youtube; check them out at http://ucbcomedy.tumblr.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/user/UCBComedy .

But really, take improv classes (or sketch!) and hang out with improv people, they're great. Given that classes at most places usually run eight weeks and you're staying for three months... I dunno, taking improv from multiple schools is a good idea (if expensive) but starting out, I think it's better to learn one school's philosophy first before moving on, rather than trying to take them all simultaneously. Though people do! But if you want to start with one at a time, then watch shows at various theaters and figure out where you'd like to take classes from first.

Anyways, I love improv, I love the LA improv community, and I think it might be what you're looking for.

FStop7

Banned
Sup LAGAF!

Get a membership with the American Cinematheque. Tons of events in Hollywood and Santa Monica. A lot of industry people and students show up to these events, there are plenty of opportunities to network. Lots of big name guests, too. I got to meet Diane Ladd, John Goodman, and Wes Anderson at various screenings.

I've recently gotten into proper coffee (got an Aeropress and everything), are these places only hipster coffee shops or is the coffee actually good

G&B and Blue Bottle (Formerly Handsome Roasters) are my favorite. I don't really like the other two. Balconi Coffee is also pretty decent if you're on the westside.

Sup LAGAF!

Get a job at a restaurant or bar. That's what everyone I know who wants to be a "writer/director/actor" does to pay the bills.

Also watch the TV show Party Down.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is Bar Marmont cool or lame? It's my last night in town and I might go sit at the bar for a bit.

Zyzyxxz

I've recently gotten into proper coffee (got an Aeropress and everything), are these places only hipster coffee shops or is the coffee actually good?

What do you mean either? Because at the end of the day all the best coffee in LA can be categorized by being "hipster". Most of the shitty coffee in LA is not found in hipster coffee shops in general.

Serious coffee though can be found at G&B (the best), Bar Nine Collective, and Cognoscenti Coffee, while Blue Bottle can have good coffee but its new in town and I've yet to try the local iteration of it.

Thought I might update the thread.

Moving into my new apartment in downtown Burbank tomorrow! I've moved all the way from Wilmington, NC. Happy to be here!

Besides the traffic. That sucks.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Thought I might update the thread.

Moving into my new apartment in downtown Burbank tomorrow! I've moved all the way from Wilmington, NC. Happy to be here!

Besides the traffic. That sucks.

Welcome! Burbank is a good place to start off at. Safe area. :)

Yes, Burbank is very safe. They have their own police department, independent of Los Angeles and the station is right in downtown too.

I'm actually going to check out Tap tonight. it's like chipotle but Asian food.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/tap-buns-and-bowls-burbank
It's next to Zankou Chicken which is another must try place.

There are a bunch of restaurants in downtown Burbank that'll take me weeks to eat at them all!

There are a bunch of restaurants in downtown Burbank that'll take me weeks to eat at them all!

I live in Burbank as well and I can tell you without a doubt that we have little to no good restaurants. Venture out if you can. Definitely visit Grand Central Market if you have a chance. You won't need to worry about being safe if that's a concern.

I live in Burbank as well and I can tell you without a doubt that we have little to no good restaurants. Venture out if you can. Definitely visit Grand Central Market if you have a chance. You won't need to worry about being safe if that's a concern.
Are you kidding me? TAP was great tonight. Zankou is great. There's also Grandville, Commonwealth, and Portos Bakery. Sure there's more out there if you venture out, LA is a big place.

Are you kidding me? TAP was great tonight. Zankou is great. There's also Grandville, Commonwealth, and Portos Bakery. Sure there's more out there if you venture out, LA is a big place.

Zankou is a chain, Portos can also be found in Glendale and Downey. I'll give you the others. Maybe I came off badly. The only point I was trying to make is that burbank is close enough to so many cities I see no reason to stay local. Quenelle does have some of the best ice cream I've ever had though.

Zyzyxxz

Burbank and the rest of the valley are barely starting to get decent restaurants but at the end of the day Downtown LA is where it's at. LA is now the country's hotspot in terms of food scene and there's no better time to be eating in LA than now.

Booshka

Di-Roma-logo1.png

23863 Hawthorne Blvd, Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 378-9999

If you live in the South Bay, or are near it, you owe it to yourself to eat here. Excellent Italian Mediterranean food and more. Probably the best Cheese Steak Sandwich (Roma Steak) I have ever had, and one of the best Burgers (Borsalino or Milano) as well, on top of the amazing Italian dishes and Salads. Great prices and awesome kitchen staff. The service can be a little lacking sometimes, but the food is always amazing.

Top Bottom