• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/2014/03/07/this-judgmental-map-is-judging-you-la

9581561.0.jpg

Lol

Haha, that's awesome. C-list celebrity town foreeevaaa

Is art walk a gaf meet up?

nope, but it could be! lol. It's downtown second thursday every month. A few blocks are set up with open galleries, and people have art on the street. Everyone walks around, checks out cool galleries and grabs drinks at all the bars in between the galleries.

Last months was awesome, just slipped my mind yesterday.

I need to go to it. Second Tuesday of every month right?

Yeah, I missed it a bunch cause I always planned for the first thursday haha.

Ape

Banned
Be careful for more earthquakes. Could be happening as aftershocks or this one could be a foreshock. That would suck!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scared the shit outta me. Felt really strong since usually there's a buildup.
Now I'm going to be thinking about quakes and life decisions and why my room is so messy today.

coldvein

Banned
hey LA GAF duders -

im going to be in your city for just a few days pretty soon w/ my gf, her parents live there (west hollywood i think)?

just looking for things to do. i like food, pretty stuff, water is nice, historical shit, i dunno .. throw some must-do things at me.

hey LA GAF duders -

im going to be in your city for just a few days pretty soon w/ my gf, her parents live there (west hollywood i think)?

just looking for things to do. i like food, pretty stuff, water is nice, historical shit, i dunno .. throw some must-do things at me.

LACMA and the Getty if you like art.

hey LA GAF duders -

Anything specific food wise? LA doesn't really have it's own type of food for the most part (tacos don't count).

As far as pretty stuff I'd recommend The Getty Villa, Griffith Observatory, Hammer Museum.

coldvein

Banned
ahh yes, museums. cool cool.

food wise, im pretty open. just something particularly good/different. i dont really go for ballz out ballaballa fine dining. could be a food truck, whatever.

beat

Anything specific food wise? LA doesn't really have it's own type of food for the most part (tacos don't count).
But LA's taco game is significantly ahead of most of the rest of the US.

Side note: on Venice and La Brea, there's a Taco Bell across the street from two really good taco trucks. I never could understand why the Taco Bell stayed in business there. Leo's Taco Truck (also has other locations) has a massive al pastor spit on weekends, or at least they used to.

Other food to recommend: Chego, Kogi, probably Roy Choi's other ventures too. I was eventually converted to chili-on-burgers-or-hot-dogs (Tommy's, Oki Dog, etc). And gaf's own Zyzyxxz runs Sticky Rice at Grand Central Market downtown.

For sushi, I'm sure there are a few great sushi places in LA but I think if you go to some random joint you're going to get pretty average sushi.

I'm always gonna recommend seeing improv comedy at UCB and/or IO West. Check their schedules online to see if there's anything you really want to see, bear in mind that rosters/casts change so unless they're in the name of the show, don't expect any given performer will be there, and worst case, you can sign up for waiting lists at UCB for sold-out shows, but ... you'd have to be a pretty devoted comedy nerd to do that.

As far as shopping goes, hit up Amoeba Records in Hollywood and The Last Bookstore in downtown LA, esp the upstairs bargain area. But both are places to browse and let serendipity work, more than places to find a specific thing you're looking for.

freshair

I went to LA for the Oscars and while I was there, won a ticket an event in Beverly Hills.

I want to give this ticket to someone on GAF because I'm definitely not flying out to LA in June to go to it.

The ticket is for Le Bal des Princesses in June.

Let me know if you want it. It looks like it should be a good time. Completely free

http://www.lebaldesprincesses.com/
https://twitter.com/frenchtuesdays/status/438751206107017217

ME ME ME

Is it just one or for a pair?

FStop7

Banned
The front page of the Drudge Report is especially hilarious right now. "OMG EARTHQUAKE CALM BEFORE THE STORM PANIC IN LOS ANGELES"

I didn't even know there were quakes on Friday and today until an hour or so ago.

hey hey, coming over from Finland this summer for EVO and during this i'll be doing a small roadtrip along the west coast.

any tips for car rental in LA? Any company clearly cheaper than others? would need space for two people.

In other location tips, any arcades/barcades left?

I'll bug you guys for gaf-meet-beers when i have dates set!

In other location tips, any arcades/barcades left?
876 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90029

There's an arcade here called "Family Arcade" that I believe was recommended to me in this thread. Went with my girlfriend a few times, and we really like it there. They have a great variety, and it's not too busy.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hey LAGAF, where can I buy a bushel of crabs to take home in the LA Area?

I want some dungeness crabs at least before the season is over and get the rest of the family over for some delicious crabs.

Hey LAGAF, where can I buy a bushel of crabs to take home in the LA Area?

I want some dungeness crabs at least before the season is over and get the rest of the family over for some delicious crabs.
Check out Redondo Beach Pier. They have a great fish market and would probably have what you are looking for. As a bonus their is a galley that will cook up the sea food you bought on the pier.

Top Bottom