• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

FStop7

Banned
Would living in Wedt Hollywood be awful commuting to Burbank?

It was fine for me. I used to live across the street from The Grove (just a hair south of Melrose and east of the intersection of Beverly and Fairfax.) My commute was Melrose -> Highland -> 101 -> Barham Blvd exit. It took about 20 minutes to get to work unless there was something crazy happening at the intersection of Hollywood and Highland, and that was very rarely a problem on weekday mornings.

Coming home could be more of a pain during the spring/summer because of Hollywood Bowl traffic jamming up the Highland exit. On those nights I would keep going and exit on Vine. Added about 10 minutes to the commute.

Zyzyxxz

It was fine for me. I used to live across the street from The Grove (just a hair south of Melrose and east of the intersection of Beverly and Fairfax.) My commute was Melrose -> Highland -> 101 -> Barham Blvd exit. It took about 20 minutes to get to work unless there was something crazy happening at the intersection of Hollywood and Highland, and that was very rarely a problem on weekday mornings.

Coming home could be more of a pain during the spring/summer because of Hollywood Bowl traffic jamming up the Highland exit. On those nights I would keep going and exit on Vine. Added about 10 minutes to the commute.

If it wasn't for the Barham Blvd exit I'd have crazy road rage everytime I would go to Ikea Burbank.

Ape

Banned
What would you like to know about it? Living there? Nightlife?

Yeah, might be moving there soon. I've actually never been there. Maybe once? A long time ago? Obviously I should be going there soon to scope out a few places but I wanted to see if anyone had a good feel for the city.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Pasadena is a nice area. It has a lot of night life and things to do. "Old Town" on Colorado has lots of shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. So does South Pasadena getting closer to Alhambra (where there's lots of good restaurants, movie theaters, galleries, etc).

Here's a map showing the crime in the area, that should help you know which neighborhoods are safer than others.

Pasadena is also SUPER pretty, lots of trees and "greenery" everywhere. It has several parks (one of which, the Arroyo, has an Archery club you can join) and also the Huntington Gardens are close by. Also lots of cycling clubs, and close to lots of hiking in the Los Angeles National Forest.

Thank you. That's reassuring. I just want to avoid sitting in a car for an hour on either way to the job. I'm still struggling to find decent places in that West Hollywood area around the 1400 to 1800 range that are one bedroom and not shit holes. Am I looking at the wrong places? My issue is I want to be centralized for my girlfriend so when she finds a job she can get there without the burden of traffic either.

Speaking of which does anyone know if Hollywood Cemetary is an active funeral home? Girlfriend is a funeral director/embalmer and that place would be sweet for her to work at.

jacksnap

Neo Member
Sup LAGAF.

I'm thinking of moving in with a buddy living in Adams-Normandie (neighborhood directly northwest of USC, right under the 10, basically south central) because I need more income and I could cut my rent more than half.

I've been living in a nicer apartment in West LA for the last 2 years, so I've been coddled. I'm not afraid of getting stabbed or mugged in another neighborhood, but I am worried because I'll be parking on the street and I'm seeing a lot of GTA... am I being paranoid? Is the move worth it? What's the feel these days in that area?

Dr. Feel Good - Yeah it's still active. Have her give it shot!

Sup LAGAF.

I'm thinking of moving in with a buddy living in Adams-Normandie (neighborhood directly northwest of USC, right under the 10, basically south central) because I need more income and I could cut my rent more than half.

I've been living in a nicer apartment in West LA for the last 2 years, so I've been coddled. I'm not afraid of getting stabbed or mugged in another neighborhood, but I am worried because I'll be parking on the street and I'm seeing a lot of GTA... am I being paranoid? Is the move worth it? What's the feel these days in that area?

Good to hear. Do you mind if I ask where you live? What's your rent? I still am struggling to know what the best area would be for me to live in if working in Burbank. Want to be central and aim for $1,800 rent range. I like the idea of living in a fun neighborhood, because that's what I have in Portland now.

jacksnap

Neo Member
I live in West LA, about a 40 minute drive from Burbank in good traffic, which is next to Santa Monica so in the Westside.

I had friends in NoHo and Glendale who commuted to Burbank, and they seemed pretty content. Probably not your idea of a fun neighborhoods though. Other LA people might know more about areas like Silver Lake and Echo Park, which are 'eclectic' and also Central - the trouble you might have is, well, I'm from the Portland area originally, and imo there is nothing in LA that comes close to the feel that Portland has.

But yeah, Silver Lake and Echo Park are probably areas to look at, seeing your criteria.

Yeah, might be moving there soon. I've actually never been there. Maybe once? A long time ago? Obviously I should be going there soon to scope out a few places but I wanted to see if anyone had a good feel for the city.

Pasadena is an excellent city to live in, it's pretty heavy on *stuff to do* like bars, restraunts, shopping areas. I go every week swing dancing there, and there's an ice rink right across the street from that place which is highly unusual for socal. Going north of the 210 you may run into the more ghetto area of pasadena but it ain't all that bad, you're just closer to the mountains if you like hiking :p You would also be on the east side of the LA area, and if you like authentic Asian cuisine, you're going to be in heaven.

Freeway access you're gonna be in the 110 and 210. 110 from pasadena is this old ass tiny laned, even tinier on/offramp freeway of death until you get used to it. 210 is how you get to the San Fernando Valley or if you're brave, to downtown via 210/5 but people do it all the time!

Edit: I'm going to a bar called pour vous tonight that seems way too hip for me. I hope I can somehow fit in.

I live in West LA, about a 40 minute drive from Burbank in good traffic, which is next to Santa Monica so in the Westside.

I had friends in NoHo and Glendale who commuted to Burbank, and they seemed pretty content. Probably not your idea of a fun neighborhoods though. Other LA people might know more about areas like Silver Lake and Echo Park, which are 'eclectic' and also Central - the trouble you might have is, well, I'm from the Portland area originally, and imo there is nothing in LA that comes close to the feel that Portland has.

But yeah, Silver Lake and Echo Park are probably areas to look at, seeing your criteria.

I think the Santa Monica area is pretty much off limits with the commute to Burbank... which I'm fine with. I don't necessarily need that neighborhood feel that Portland has, I think that's unrealistic given the size of LA, I just mean I'd like to be in an area where I can get to restaurants/bars/gym quickly, no matter what time of the day. Meanwhile I just need to be centralized to be careful wherever my girlfriend ends up getting a job. West Hollywood, and I guess Echo Park probably fit that bill... do people live Downtown or is that not a thing in LA?

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Good to hear. Do you mind if I ask where you live? What's your rent? I still am struggling to know what the best area would be for me to live in if working in Burbank. Want to be central and aim for $1,800 rent range. I like the idea of living in a fun neighborhood, because that's what I have in Portland now.

If you live in Burbank and want a fun area, a good question is what do you consider fun? Burbank has a small downtown with lots of restaurants and a mall, but as far as theater shows and such it does not have it. Also the population there is very WASPy and a little on the older side. Have you considered DTLA? You can take the metro link from Union Station to Burbank really easily. Also you pretty much just drive straight north on the 5 for it. Also have you considered Silver Lake, Glendale or Echo Park? I wouldn't recommend Pasadena since the morning commute west along the 134 is awful.

Edit: "do people live Downtown or is that not a thing in LA?"

Yes, I have a lot of friends who live in DTLA. It's currently undergoing gentrification right now, so prices are on the rise. Many of them love it for that more "city" feel it has. Which, to me, I don't like. I lived in NYC and am sick of the wall of wall concrete and lack of trees. Several friends live near Little Tokyo at San Pedro and 1st and 2nd street. The streets there are really hit or miss, some are super nice and safe, others are Skid Row, literally.

If you live in Burbank and want a fun area, a good question is what do you consider fun? Burbank has a small downtown with lots of restaurants and a mall, but as far as theater shows and such it does not have it. Also the population there is very WASPy and a little on the older side. Have you considered DTLA? You can take the metro link from Union Station to Burbank really easily. Also you pretty much just drive straight north on the 5 for it. Also have you considered Silver Lake, Glendale or Echo Park? I wouldn't recommend Pasadena since the morning commute west along the 134 is awful.

Edit: "do people live Downtown or is that not a thing in LA?"

Yes, I have a lot of friends who live in DTLA. It's currently undergoing gentrification right now, so prices are on the rise. Many of them love it for that more "city" feel it has. Which, to me, I don't like. I lived in NYC and am sick of the wall of wall concrete and lack of trees. Several friends live near Little Tokyo at San Pedro and 1st and 2nd street. The streets there are really hit or miss, some are super nice and safe, others are Skid Row, literally.

For me fun would be young area, lots of bars, restaurants, things to do that are relatively close. All tha yet still being central enough to not have to drive forever to get to the beach or work (Burbank). This is why I was eyeing West Hollywood but the places for $1800 don't seem great.

My biggest issue with actually living in Burbank is that if my girlfriend were to find a job in say Venice, she would be screwed commute wise. The idea of living downtown doesn't seem bad to me, but from everything I've seen online it seems like it's more of a corporate downtown that people don't go to on the weekends. Maybe that's not true anymore?

Also quick looks make it seem like Echo Park is more house living as opposed to apartments? Is this right?

beat

The idea of living downtown doesn't seem bad to me, but from everything I've seen online it seems like it's more of a corporate downtown that people don't go to on the weekends. Maybe that's not true anymore?
I think rents alone show that downtown living isn't the wasteland it used to be.

But LA's downtown is not as central to the metro area as most other cities' (metro areas') downtowns, because LA is vast and mostly kinda dense but not really super-dense anywhere.

broz0rs

Sup LAGAF.

I wouldn't do it. I grew up in that area, as well as East LA, when I was a kid and it's easily the worst neighborhood I've lived in. I went down there just this past weekend and I still feel that same sense of dread that I had.

My family's life improved loads once we moved to Ktown. I think if I still lived in LA that's where I'd be, but I'd also consider DTLA and Chinatown because they are both improving substantially.

I think rents alone show that downtown living isn't the wasteland it used to be.

But LA's downtown is not as central to the metro area as most other cities' (metro areas') downtowns, because LA is vast and mostly kinda dense but not really super-dense anywhere.

What's the best area of downtown? Is $1,800 going to get me anything decent?

$1,800 is just about the bare minimum to live in a decent place downtown. You'll need to get lucky to find something in that price range.

$1,800 is what I'm aiming for that is central and not a shit hole (650-700 sqft). Never being to LA makes it hard for me gauge where I can find this and still be in an enjoyable neighborhood. I don't think I can stretch much further than that considering my salary range.

Clipjoint

$1,800 is what I'm aiming for that is central and not a shit hole (650-700 sqft). Never being to LA makes it hard for me gauge where I can find this and still be in an enjoyable neighborhood. I don't think I can stretch much further than that considering my salary range.

Use Padmapper.com, try to find something in the Arts District or Financial District if you can. Little Tokyo area is cool too. You might find something near LA Live. Research the best "loft" style buildings downtown and call them for availability. Try to read as many online reviews as possible - some of them look nice but they're shit holes full of drunken college students. I'm looking at you, Orsini.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
For me fun would be young area, lots of bars, restaurants, things to do that are relatively close. All tha yet still being central enough to not have to drive forever to get to the beach or work (Burbank). This is why I was eyeing West Hollywood but the places for $1800 don't seem great.

My biggest issue with actually living in Burbank is that if my girlfriend were to find a job in say Venice, she would be screwed commute wise...

Also quick looks make it seem like Echo Park is more house living as opposed to apartments? Is this right?

I totally know how you feel. I work in Burbank and my poor husband commutes to UCLA everyday. We moved to the apartment we're in now BEFORE he got that job. >__<;;;

I don't know a lot of people who live in Echo Park personally, but I've been to the area many times and it seems it's more houses/duplexes than straight up apartment buildings. Which might be nicer depending on your preferences. I do know Echo Park is being gentrified as well, so maybe there's apartments being built. I know there's a TON of apartment complexes under construction now in Pasadena and Glendale (not sure how the expect to fit all these people in though, lol).

jacksnap

Neo Member
I wouldn't do it. I grew up in that area, as well as East LA, when I was a kid and it's easily the worst neighborhood I've lived in. I went down there just this past weekend and I still feel that same sense of dread that I had.

My family's life improved loads once we moved to Ktown. I think if I still lived in LA that's where I'd be, but I'd also consider DTLA and Chinatown because they are both improving substantially.

Thanks for the reply. That's really a bummer... I'm still not completely off of the idea, but I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks PasadenaGAF I'll be there this weekend or next to check shit out.
Basically, avoid the area north of the 210, bordered by Fairoaks to the west, Los Robles to the east and Woodbury to the north. Pretty much anything outside that neighborhood should be fine. Also don't be afraid to look further north into Altadena, some nice apartments up there too...

Any cool Halloween shit going on in Oct? I live 5 mins from Universal Studios and their Horror Nights are always great but I don't know, anything else out there?

Chaplain

Just a heads up to those of us who live in Los Angeles about what everyone in LA is about to be forced to go through.

"Water rationing hits California: limit of 50 gallons per person per day or face fines of $500"

The amount of water each household is allowed by water districts will be determined by government employees viewing satellite imagery of private properties, then calculating how much water that property should be allowed to use. "Using census records, aerial photography and satellite imagery, an agency can determine a property's efficient water usage," says the SGVT.

50 gallons per person, per day

In some districts, water rationing allocation is also based on the number of persons who are known to be living at each address based on U.S. Census data. The Irvine Ranch Water District allows 50 gallons of "indoor" water consumption per person in the home. As explained on the IRWD website: [3]

The indoor water allocation is 50 gallons per person per day and depends upon the number of residents in a home. Water allocated for landscape irrigation depends upon the type of home.

As the IRWD website explains, those water consumers who the government deems to be "wasteful" will be charged 160% or higher rates for water consumption. This is on top of the $500 fines for each violation, as has now been approved by the state.

The 50 gallons per person per day is the maximum allocated amount for all indoor water use, including laundry, showering, toilet flushing, drinking, washing dishes and hand washing for hygienic purposes.

According to the EPA, the average U.S. citizen currently uses 100 gallons per day, with 70 of those gallons consumed indoors. [4] The largest users of indoor water are toilets, showers and clothes washers.

A lot more facts at the link.

The water situation in LA is doesn't seem to have a good outcome. Even if everyone lowered their water consumption to 28 gallons per day, water will eventually run out (we are nearing the end of our water supplies). This means, the CA agricultural industry will probably will stop producing product, food shortages and food prices will skyrocket (in CA and the rest of the US), etc.

MickD

Coming to work on a film next week. Never been here before and do not want to rent a car. Can I get by on the Metro? Just want to see touristy shit and meet up with old friends. Hit the Beach/Bars/Food.

Staying with the director so I'll have a ride to the shoot. Any must go to spots? I want to check out the Frolic Room and Langers so far.

Coming to work on a film next week. Never been here before and do not want to rent a car. Can I get by on the Metro? Just want to see touristy shit and meet up with old friends. Hit the Beach/Bars/Food.

Staying with the director so I'll have a ride to the shoot. Any must go to spots? I want to check out the Frolic Room and Langers so far.

The metro doesn't go to the beach (yet). Bus should be easy though.

Langers will change your life.

beat

The metro doesn't go to the beach (yet). Bus should be easy though.
IMO the bus ain't so bad. Take the limited stop or express lines if you can, they'll be faster. The red buses are LA Metro buses, blue buses are Santa Monica buses (but the Santa Monica system runs some express buses all the way to DTLA).

It's a long shot but I figured i'd ask. If anyone has / knows of anyone with an extra ticket to Beach Goth on 10/25 at The Observatory for sale I'm looking for one. I've looked on craigslist and ebay without any luck.

beat

Where are good places near downtown or Hollywood to crash/sit around for a few hours between 7 am and noon on Saturdays?

JLG-

Need some recs for good places to eat that can accommodate a party of at least 9?

Anywhere between LA and Cerritos preferably.

So I'm down in the area for my interviews this week and have been trying to get as much as I can in about the city for living purposes, quick take would be:

- Why would you ever live Downtown? Everything seems to be a shit hole.
- Echo Park/Silver Lake have some trendy areas, but more the most part seem really grunge and dirty.
- Behind Hollywood Boulevard has some decent apartments... parking is awful though. Plus a lot of tourism on the Hollwood strip, I'm sure that would get old.
- West Sunsent Blvd. is cool area, obviously expensive, but seems like the best area to live.
- Santa Monica area is cool too but again parking and tourism suck. Plus working anywhere East in the city would be pretty brutal to commute to.
- UCLA area is awesome too, cool college vibe, seems upscale and expensive as well but really nice campus.

Booshka

Don't hate on those shitty trinket shops, they are great way to launder millions of dollars in Mexican Drug Cartel Money. So much money you have to weigh it to count it, hella swag.

Booshka

The gov just busted the garment industry for laundering money to the Mexican cartel.

They seized like $160mil of cash in crates in LA.
Yea thats what I was referencing, even though it's not really the phone accessories and lead filled trinket stores, it's the same theme and same area.
I thought I'd never see gas so low again in L.A.. $3.19 sighting in Bell Gardens. :) Loving the price

Should go back to $1.18 per gallon back in the 90's

Dat Fracking, interesting story on NPR on it earlier today, some Frackers may start to slow production on new Wells because they aren't handling the $85 barrel of Oil price very well. OPEC isn't curbing their production either to keep the price toward $100 like it usually is, so it's an interesting time for their industry.

My cheapest gas price I have seen down here in Torrance is about $3.20 as well.

JLG-

I'll be hitting up Eggslut on Saturday. Does that one gaffer still work there?

Will also be seeing Slowdive later that night!

beat

Best ice cream spots?

My top 3 are Blockheads in CulverCity/SantaMonica, Handel's in San Pedro, and Salt & Straw in Melrose (?)
I'm not sure I would call Blockheads ice cream, though I do love it, but I also would not call the Sawtelle area either Culver City or Santa Monica.

JLG-

Alright LA-gaf

Best ice cream spots?

My top 3 are Blockheads in CulverCity/SantaMonica, Handel's in San Pedro, and Salt & Straw in Melrose (?)

honorable mention: Scoops which i've only tried once

Are they hiring I would like this..? lol

It's in the OC but Afters Ice Cream is pretty great.

Top Bottom