• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Lot of complaints to give RE: the lines and security, but fuck if today wasn't amazing. Jessy Lanza, Les Sins, Kelela, Daphni, Daniel Avery, motherfucking DARKSIDE, fucking Fly Lo, and uh...well I caught the strokes and that was whatever

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Are you kidding me? TAP was great tonight. Zankou is great. There's also Grandville, Commonwealth, and Portos Bakery. Sure there's more out there if you venture out, LA is a big place.

Oh man, Grandville is my parent's FAVORITE place to eat at when they come out to visit me. We tend to go to the Glendale location though.

Also, since Glendale is right next door to Burbank. I highly recommend checking out Din Tai Fung:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/din-tai-fung-glendale-2

It's Taiwanese soup dumplings and it's crazy delicious. They have two other locations in Arcadia too.

firen

Lot of complaints to give RE: the lines and security, but fuck if today wasn't amazing. Jessy Lanza, Les Sins, Kelela, Daphni, Daniel Avery, motherfucking DARKSIDE, fucking Fly Lo, and uh...well I caught the strokes and that was whatever

I knew I wanted to see Avery (first time in USA?) and he kiiilled his set even though I would've loved more Drone Logic. Then Darkside right after were brilliant! Flying Lotus was superb as well! Never really listened to those two before and their performance made me a fan.

Wish I could have checked out Slowdive, strokes and Deafheaven though.

I was there Sunday (day pass). STROKES KILLED IT. I thought the crowd was lame though. Only pockets of people seemed to enjoy the show.

It was a really emotionally and physically draining day for anyone who didn't camp around the mainstage. Large amounts of people caught Darkside (unbelievable) and then Flylo (amazing) or Blood Brothers (heard it was great) before going to the mainstage. Hard to have anything left for The Strokes after that and they weren't nearly the performance other acts were in the day.

Slowdive was incredible. The songs were perfect and it got as loud as I was hoping. Thanks to the hellish lines I missed most of Slint but what I caught was great. Only saw Strokes from a distance but they seemed to be doing a decent job as a headliner. What a terrible layout though ughhhhh

beat

For a Hollywood destination, is it better to fly into LAX or Burbank? (I won't have or be renting a car either way.)

I was there Sunday (day pass). STROKES KILLED IT. I thought the crowd was lame though. Only pockets of people seemed to enjoy the show.

I was in the pit there. Crowd was too freakin crazy/rowdy. I had a lot of fun though.

Phoenix was the huge highlight for me. Im not even a big fan but holy crap they put on one hell of a show.

I might actually try and get my friends to go there tomorrow. A buddy of ours is back in town and wants to go to Seven Grand but there's that music shit going on down there.

Subway isn't stopping at Civic Center either. Gonna be mad congestion all over the greater downtown area.

Fuck it, Santa Monica or Pasadena then.

When was the last LA meetup?

Like two years ago. I think they died because some people went a little crazy and wanted to go to a $400 dollar dinner. Nothing ever happened after that and some other shit went down too. I'm down for a meet-up before I get entrenched into my last semester of college.

clav

it was never!!!

but the next one is tomorrow!

http://www.dancedeets.com/events/797473426971362/

come dance with meeeeee~~~!!!

Are you the performing artist?
Like two years ago. I think they died because some people went a little crazy and wanted to go to a $400 dollar dinner. Nothing ever happened after that and some other shit went down too. I'm down for a meet-up before I get entrenched into my last semester of college.

I think some residents have hinted about a ramen meet up, but it never substantiated.

beat

That was $200 ish and it really delicious... And it came only a few months after a much more affordable meetup.

Zyzyxxz

That was $200 ish and it really delicious... And it came only a few months after a much more affordable meetup.

I think the affordable one was cool and all but it was a bit too big IMO, then again LA is a big city so of course more people would come out.

JEKKI

I got back from San Pedro lobster fest.

Lobster is delicious.

but more importantly I got these:

5IEAq1T.jpg

lol. what have I got to lose?!?!

studyguy

Anyone else hitting up MadDecent tomorrow? My friend and I are rolling out there and prob gonna crash at a loft some dude we know has near the location.

Question for LA GAF.

I've never been to LA before, have always wanted to live there because of the entertainment industry. Recently have had multiple interviews with companies I would really like to work for but am concerned on money. I currently live in Portland, OR making mid-$60K range and do fine money wise (rent is around $1,400). Problem is job offers are in the same range, maybe slightly higher with max being around $70K. Is this salary doable with a one bedroom in a good location? I seriously don't know anything about the city except for little Google mapping and Wiki travel, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. It's hard to quit a job and move to a city where your dollar is not going to stretch as far. :/

Zyzyxxz

Question for LA GAF.

I've never been to LA before, have always wanted to live there because of the entertainment industry. Recently have had multiple interviews with companies I would really like to work for but am concerned on money. I currently live in Portland, OR making mid-$60K range and do fine money wise (rent is around $1,400). Problem is job offers are in the same range, maybe slightly higher with max being around $70K. Is this salary doable with a one bedroom in a good location? I seriously don't know anything about the city except for little Google mapping and Wiki travel, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. It's hard to quit a job and move to a city where your dollar is not going to stretch as far. :/

$1400 is definitely doable for a one bedroom in LA but as with many other major cities it all depends on location. It'd be helpful if you told us where your job is located because you most likely will want to live close to work.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Question for LA GAF.

$1,400 for rent will do you fine. Entertainment industry is a gamble though :p

beat

$1400 is definitely doable for a one bedroom in LA but as with many other major cities it all depends on location. It'd be helpful if you told us where your job is located because you most likely will want to live close to work.
Yes, this. Live close to where you'll be.

(When I moved to LA I got a place very close to work... And then I developed a hobby (improv) that took me miles in the other direction. Ah well.)

Studios interviewing me right now are in either Burbank, Culver City, or Beverly Hills. As for the job is finance related, so not directly with the production crew, I'd imagine those jobs are more stable?

Is $1400 really possible in the Santa Monica/West Hollywood area without living in a dump? I'd have my girlfriend coming too but unemployed if I get the job... Ideally when she found another job she'd be making an additional $45K, but don't want to sign myself up for a place without that income already locked down.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Studios interviewing me right now are in either Burbank, Culver City, or Beverly Hills. As for the job is finance related, so not directly with the production crew, I'd imagine those jobs are more stable?

Is $1400 really possible in the Santa Monica/West Hollywood area without living in a dump? I'd have my girlfriend coming too but unemployed if I get the job... Ideally when she found another job she'd be making an additional $45K, but don't want to sign myself up for a place without that income already locked down.

I have friends who live in Burbank and Glendale and they have one bedrooms that are less than $1,400. They're nice places too, not luxury, but they're clean, come with parking, the management is nice and they're allowed to have pets.

beat

Burbank is affordable. I think West Hollywood is affordable, not sure.

Santa Monica is pretty expensive. Culver City is slightly less expensive. West LA _right outside_ Culver City is even less expensive and bonus, more likely to be covered under rent control. (People will call that area Culver City anyways, even if it's not legally part of Culver City.) I assume Beverly Hills is expensive, but I've never really looked into it.

As always, check Padmapper.

Maybe in WeHo, but definitely not in Santa Monica.

4 years ago I paid $1300 for a nice 1 bedroom in Mar Vista. Same place costs $1600 now. I moved into a two bedroom place after that cost me $1375 when I first moved in. It now goes for $1675.

The closer you are to the water the worse your rent will be, and with all the recent gentrification and development prices have only gone up.

Burbank is affordable. I think West Hollywood is affordable, not sure.

Santa Monica is pretty expensive. Culver City is slightly less expensive. West LA _right outside_ Culver City is even less expensive and bonus, more likely to be covered under rent control. (People will call that area Culver City anyways, even if it's not legally part of Culver City.) I assume Beverly Hills is expensive, but I've never really looked into it.

As always, check Padmapper.

Maybe if you live in like, Fox Hills or Palms or somewhere that isn't really West LA. But if you live West of the 405 good luck finding something decent for under $1500 a month. I tried moving out of my place 2 years ago and the only sub $1500 places I could find were either tiny or dumps and almost all of them were over in Westchester. I guess if you like the sound of airplanes that's fine but I'll pass.

Would living in Wedt Hollywood be awful commuting to Burbank?

Depends where in WeHo, but in general living is West Hollywood sucks for commuting to anywhere but West Hollywood itself. You want to live nearer to the freeway if you're planning on driving to Burbank. Living in WeHo can put you in a place where you're a 10 minute minimum drive from any/all the backed up freeways, so location within matters. How close in WeHo are you to the 101 or the 5, since those are the freeways you'd be taking?

You can technically live farther away from Burbank as the crow flies but still make it there in a similar amount of time if you are nearer to a freeway. For instance, you could live in Culver City close to the 10, and make it up to Burbank just as fast as you would living in WeHo and having to take surface streets for 15 minutes just to hit a freeway.

A few friends live in nice places like Studio City, NoHo, and Sherman Oaks for around $1400-1600 a month. They're not that far from Burbank and driving there during peak traffic times isn't complete shit one you know your way around.

Depends where in WeHo, but in general living is West Hollywood sucks for commuting to anywhere but West Hollywood itself. You want to live nearer to the freeway if you're planning on driving to Burbank. Living in WeHo can put you in a place where you're a 10 minute minimum drive from any/all the backed up freeways, so location within matters. How close in WeHo are you to the 101 or the 5, since those are the freeways you'd be taking?

You can technically live farther away from Burbank as the crow flies but still make it there in a similar amount of time if you are nearer to a freeway. For instance, you could live in Culver City close to the 10, and make it up to Burbank just as fast as you would living in WeHo and having to take surface streets for 15 minutes just to hit a freeway.

I'm not set on West Hollywood it's really the only place I know because I have a friend who lives there. Ideally I want to live centralized to the point that I could get to UCLA easily if I go get an MBA part time along with getting to Burbank without sitting in traffic for obscene amount of time...

Ideally I like the idea of living in a young neighborhood with restaurants and bars, and be able to make it to the beaches in under half hour. But maybe this is unrealistic? Everything I've heard about La is that it's spread out and traffic like crazy.

I could stretch $1600 total for one bedroom but I'd need parking, like 700 sq feet and not a complete dump. Any ideas for that in decent neighborhoods that could still get me to Burbank in like 30 min at max would be ideal.

Zyzyxxz

Is Chocochicken any good?

No... just no.

I'm not set on West Hollywood it's really the only place I know because I have a friend who lives there. Ideally I want to live centralized to the point that I could get to UCLA easily if I go get an MBA part time along with getting to Burbank without sitting in traffic for obscene amount of time...

Ideally I like the idea of living in a young neighborhood with restaurants and bars, and be able to make it to the beaches in under half hour. But maybe this is unrealistic? Everything I've heard about La is that it's spread out and traffic like crazy.

I could stretch $1600 total for one bedroom but I'd need parking, like 700 sq feet and not a complete dump. Any ideas for that in decent neighborhoods that could still get me to Burbank in like 30 min at max would be ideal.

The key to living here happily will be to live reasonably close to work and use the lack of traffic on weekends to your advantage. Until you know where your job will be I can't confidently advise you on where to live. If your job is in WeHo or Culber I would say Palms is not a bad area, quiet and not too far of a drive to the nice restaurants. If its in Burbank I would say live in Highland Park or somewhere close to the 101.

Top Bottom