• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Zyzyxxz

Alright LA-gaf

Best ice cream spots?

My top 3 are Blockheads in CulverCity/SantaMonica, Handel's in San Pedro, and Salt & Straw in Melrose (?)

honorable mention: Scoops which i've only tried once
l

Blockheads is not even ice cream.
Salt & Straw in LA is decent but inferior to the original Portland locations.
Handel's = San Pedro = too far to give a crap

Scoops sucks dick.

My top: Sweet Rose Creamery and McConnell's

lol sorry I was drunk when I posted about the ice cream. Yeah Blockheads doesn't count and I think that area is Westwood..

Afters is delicious. I guess I got try out Sweet Rose and McConnells

I took the job. Moving to LA from Portland in two weeks. Rolling with it! Signed a lease in West Hollywood hope it's a good area.

Congrats! Early welcome to LA! WeHo is a pretty good area

Congrats! Early welcome to LA! WeHo is a pretty good area

I'm near the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd and N La Brea... I know that's probably a bit touristy due to the proximity of Hollywood Blvd but figured I could walk to work from there. Does anyone have comments on that area? It seems relatively close to Sunset Strip. Hop on the bus and be to Santa Monica beach within an hour. Not bad? I don't know much about the area honestly other than driving through it a couple of times...

Lol I just got offered a job in Portland.

Portland definitely a cool area.The neighborhood feel is awesome which I've heard is pretty rare in most cities. Plus it's relatively cheap and public transportation is amazing if you are in a good spot. The downsides are the weather (which isn't THAT bad, but I'm a Minnesotan) and the extreme number of people who have no amibition (this isn't just a Portlandia joke, it's real).

I loved Portland and would personally leap at an opportunity to go there for a job. But I'm 21, an English major and I suck.

You taking it?

Nope.

I'm near the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd and N La Brea... I know that's probably a bit touristy due to the proximity of Hollywood Blvd but figured I could walk to work from there. Does anyone have comments on that area? It seems relatively close to Sunset Strip. Hop on the bus and be to Santa Monica beach within an hour. Not bad? I don't know much about the area honestly other than driving through it a couple of times...

Portland definitely a cool area.The neighborhood feel is awesome which I've heard is pretty rare in most cities. Plus it's relatively cheap and public transportation is amazing if you are in a good spot. The downsides are the weather (which isn't THAT bad, but I'm a Minnesotan) and the extreme number of people who have no amibition (this isn't just a Portlandia joke, it's real).

If I moved to Portland I would probably live with my friend in her huge house.

I've been there a few times I understand the no ambition thing.

Any East Los gaf in here? They about to do a segment on the East L.A. Classic on Sportscenter

E: Gas about same price as Vegas now. Usually Vegas is about .20-.30 cents cheaper. Just let it go down more plz

Zyzyxxz

I think the no ambition thing just depends on what you want out of life. I know I could easily become complacent there which is why I love LA, its such a hustle and I know I'm always trying to get on top of the game in my own relative industry.

Kyonashi

So I posted in this thread a few months ago when I was planning to come here, but now I've actually arrived and spent a couple weeks!

Any GAFers interested in going out for a drink/some food with a 21 year old Londoner? I'm staying in Hollywood but can easily get downtown on the Metro red line.

JEKKI

It's in the OC but Afters Ice Cream is pretty great.
Afters! definitely Afters!

they make the milky bun, which is ice cream inside of a glazed donut, then they heat the donut back up so it's warm on the outside and ice cream on the inside!!

in terms of LA, I used to really like Cool Haus! when I lived / worked in Pasadena, the truck would come thru every week. Now they have an actual store in Pas and Culver too!

isnt there a real popular place in Chinatown too right by Chego?

JEKKI

Scoops! Scopps Haagen Dazs! So pringles where yo culeh mustache at? Fuck the Knicks!!

yes, a google search confirmed the place is Scoops! I've heard it's a real good!

although a personal experience search tells me the place has been open as of months ago when I was in the area, not about to open a few weeks ago =P

beat

Maybe they were just closed that day. Chego is closed on Mondays, to my displeasure, but I was able to go back the next day and get in some Chego... I was too stuffed to care if Scoops was also open by then.

So I posted in this thread a few months ago when I was planning to come here, but now I've actually arrived and spent a couple weeks!

Any GAFers interested in going out for a drink/some food with a 21 year old Londoner? I'm staying in Hollywood but can easily get downtown on the Metro red line.

I really wish someone can organize another la GAF meetup but I'm terrible at those things. I go out so much but it's usually to go swing dancing :(

I'm free after December 15th.

Do you like Hockey?

overcast

If you guys want to get a meetup at some point in Mid December - Mid January I would love to go grab some drinks.

We can make a thread if we figure it out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Scoops! Scopps Haagen Dazs! So pringles where yo culeh mustache at? Fuck the Knicks!!

yes, a google search confirmed the place is Scoops! I've heard it's a real good!

although a personal experience search tells me the place has been open as of months ago when I was in the area, not about to open a few weeks ago =P
Scoops is very good ice cream

jkanownik

LA gaf. I have 5 moving boxes of gaming swag I'm giving away today in west hills(sfv). It goes out on my curb later today. Literally hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Mostly activision stuff, but there a bunch of other stuff there feom other pubs. Tons of t shirts, CE contents, E3 swag and more. PM me for address.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
LA gaf. I have 5 moving boxes of gaming swag I'm giving away today in west hills(sfv). It goes out on my curb later today. Literally hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. Mostly activision stuff, but there a bunch of other stuff there feom other pubs. Tons of t shirts, CE contents, E3 swag and more. PM me for address.
Haha I have too much of my own, contemplating what to do with it.

Top Bottom