• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Checked out that Barcade 1984. Fun but the weekend crowd was to much for me to enjoy. Will try again on a weeknight.

Also, ChocoChicken sucks.

overcast

Is that the best barcade in LA? Me and my friends loved one in Portland, and I would love to do it again.

TheKaeptain said:
Lost my internship last Jan which was a bitch but I was working on and off for my uncle and he died a month ago. Shits tough until I find a job.
Hang in there man. Wish you all the best.

I went to the Cinefamily last night on Fairfax. Place seems awesome and looks like they have great events.

Hi! A friend of mine works for Cinefamily, and wanted me to share this info with you guys.
Cinefamily will be hosting the ANIMATION BREAKDOWN: Women In CGI Arcade Lounge event Wednesday, December 17at 9:30pm.

They have been doing video game related events and this particular one has developers from Sunset overdrive, Canon Brawl, and Frog Fractions attending.

Here's their Facebook event page. https://www.facebook.com/events/875472129151814/

You guys should check it out if you can!

I was walking around the area of N Cahuenga in between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset and was surprised at how cool that area seems. Looks like a lot of interesting bars, restaursnts, and cafes, which I found surprising considering it's right off the sort of a shitty area of Hollywood Blvd. Anyone go out in that area?

I checked out California Wings Cafe which was pretty damn good.

wondermega

I was walking around the area of N Cahuenga in between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset and was surprised at how cool that area seems. Looks like a lot of interesting bars, restaursnts, and cafes, which I found surprising considering it's right off the sort of a shitty area of Hollywood Blvd. Anyone go out in that area?

I checked out California Wings Cafe which was pretty damn good.

I live very close to there (Franklin village). 10 years ago Hollywood/Cahuenga was my jam; every night was a different crazy adventure. All the different bars and clubs, such a wild scene, lots of crazy people and intense energy and amazing music. I burned through too much money (and liver)

It's still pretty fun, even if not as wild. I still get out to Burgundy Room and Piano Bar (great live music) every so often. Boardners up the street is pretty fun as well. I never get tired of Hollywood!

How is The Magic Castle?

I dunno but I really need to get passes to check it out, my folks are coming into town next month and my dad would love it- anyone got a hookup?

Karram

I got a question for people who lived in Venice. How bad is the crime over there ? I had a look at the crime report on Mapping LA(la times) and they seemed quite high, especially property crime. I go to SMC and have been debating to moving there because rent in SM is too expensive.

ominator

Neo Member
Since this thread is probably more frequented I'm also posting this here:
So I am (probably) moving from Germany to L.A. in the beginning of February because of my new Job. I am going to stay for 6 months and need an apartment near woodland hills.
Can you recommend anything fitting for me?

JEKKI

I jus wanna say, this is the worst thread ever for a thread that has the word "greatest" in it...

that said, foie gras... it's back.

914486_1543862765873550_1419741556_n.jpg

(I got that from Slaters 50/50 on monday =P)

what apparently is not back however is Tabu Burgers in Santa Ana.

I heard they closed, which sucks coz their chile relleno burger is easily one of the best burgers I've ever eaten in my life!!

that said, what do everybody in this thread consider the best.burger.ever! in LA / OC / Socal.

excluding In N Out, Tommy's, and Father's Office, becoz I already know those are all amazing.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Going to the OC makes me wish that LA had gotten its shit together and made the 5 wider a decade ago.

All this construction is making it worse.

JEKKI

dood I've been taking detours to get home to OC from LA or Long Beach for like 2 years?

they close the 405 down every night around where the 605 is,

it sucks but I know those detours like the back of sailor mercury.

Zyzyxxz

Venice peeps, where's a good brunch place with great food, drinks, a view, and eye candy?

Gjelina, although the view is of Abbot Kinney but I suppose that could be good for people watching, it does qualify in all the rest of your categories though.

Otherwise you can go to Nobu Malibu.

Is that the best barcade in LA? Me and my friends loved one in Portland, and I would love to do it again.

Hang in there man. Wish you all the best.

Way late, but I prefer Blipsy's to Eighty Two.

Venice peeps, where's a good brunch place with great food, drinks, a view, and eye candy?

It's not quite Venice but Sunny Spot is good for 2/4 of your list: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sunny-spot-venice-2

There aren't a lot of brunchy spots in Venice proper, almost everything is more lunch or dinner oriented. All the brunch places are a little more inland along Washington.

PG2G

I jus wanna say, this is the worst thread ever for a thread that has the word "greatest" in it...

that said, foie gras... it's back.

914486_1543862765873550_1419741556_n.jpg

(I got that from Slaters 50/50 on monday =P)

what apparently is not back however is Tabu Burgers in Santa Ana.

I heard they closed, which sucks coz their chile relleno burger is easily one of the best burgers I've ever eaten in my life!!

that said, what do everybody in this thread consider the best.burger.ever! in LA / OC / Socal.

excluding In N Out, Tommy's, and Father's Office, becoz I already know those are all amazing.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives...ne-of-the-best-burgers-in-los-angeles-ca.html

Easily the best, too bad its gone now. I don't even bother hunting for good burgers anymore :/

Tried Oleego at 7th and Fig. My lord, what an amazing food court.

How good can a Korean BBQ bowl be, pretty damn good. I had the spicy pork and it was perfectly cooked. I love how they bowl has another bowl inside holding the meat so can control how much oil and meat juices you want to mix with your rice.

dyFyXKJ.jpg

http://www.figat7th.com/taste/

FStop7

Banned
Hey... Is anyone here interested in doing some photo walks / street photography? I've been going pretty much every weekend since the new year. It would be nice to have a group, I think.

FStop7

Banned
What areas? I'm pretty interested if only to visit places I haven't explored much.

I've done downtown (within a few block radius of Grand Central Market) and Hollywood Blvd (from Highland to Vine) a few times.

Today I'm probably going to go to the Getty Center and Santa Monica. I'm trying to get some valentine's day material so I'm sticking to areas where there will be a lot of couples out for the day. I might go to the Grove farmer's market, too.

Next weekend I'd like to do Little Tokyo and Koreatown, but I don't know K-Town at all and I'm a little reluctant to wander alone.

Folks... I'm looking for spicy, flavorful food. Looking for recommendations anywhere in LA including San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, and Orange County. And preferably a place or two that isn't Indian food. Most places I've been to... the food is just straight out bland.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Folks... I'm looking for spicy, flavorful food. Looking for recommendations anywhere in LA including San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, and Orange County. And preferably a place or two that isn't Indian food. Most places I've been to... the food is just straight out bland.

Tara's Himalayan Cuisine on Venice has some flavorful and spicy offerings.

I'm a big fan of Hurry Curry of Tokyo, which can be light on the spice unless you make it clear you're ready for it when you order, but is my favorite curry place in the city.

There's Orochon in Little Tokyo, of course, with the spiciest ramen you'll find just about anywhere.

Hunan Chilli King is another great Asian option that's a good kick in the mouth if you order the right dish.

The Rustic in Los Feliz has spicy chicken wings that will burn your damn lips off if you order the "suicide" version.

Yunchuan Garden has a spicy chicken cube platter that is a great balance of heat and flavor, plus the rest of the menu is well worth trying, too.

what style? Chinese? Korean? I know K-town has lots of great food for spicy lovers. just look for any all you can eat Korean BBQ place. BCD tofu pot on Wilshire is great too (and open 24 hours), highly recommended. Chinese food wise, just drive around Valley Blvd (San Gabriel) or Garvey Ave (Monterey Park) and you'll find plenty.

Zyzyxxz

Chengdu Taste it is my friend.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Gas is already above 3 again. One place has it at 329.

It was 235 less than a month ago. Yuck.

Also the rain was ridiculous.

Top Bottom