• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Folks... I'm looking for spicy, flavorful food. Looking for recommendations anywhere in LA including San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, and Orange County. And preferably a place or two that isn't Indian food. Most places I've been to... the food is just straight out bland.

Have you ever had Burmese food? It's a great mix of Chinese/Thai/Indian food. It can be VERY spicy, it depends on the dish. There's a great place in Alhambra called Yoma Myanmar that EVERYONE should check out. It's amazing.

FStop7

Banned
Folks... I'm looking for spicy, flavorful food. Looking for recommendations anywhere in LA including San Gabriel Valley, San Fernando Valley, and Orange County. And preferably a place or two that isn't Indian food. Most places I've been to... the food is just straight out bland.

How about Thai?

golem

Chengdu Taste and Szechuan Impression. Report back when you go.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
LA GAF, help me! I'm a recent transplant to the socal area (Irvine), and, well, I need to know where everything is!

- Where are the best authentic taco/burrito places?

- Where are the best arcade spots?

- etc etc etc

beat

LA GAF, help me! I'm a recent transplant to the socal area (Irvine), and, well, I need to know where everything is!

- Where are the best authentic taco/burrito places?
I only know LA, not Irvine area, but: there are some incredible taco trucks in LA. Leo's Taco Trucks (various locations) in particular have fantastic al pastor. The days they have the spit outside, the guy who mans the spit will carve off a sliver of pineapple off the top and just flick it into the taco in his other hand. It's great showmanship in addition to being tasty.

wondermega

Sunday was rad. Met some pals at Golden Road brewery in Atwater, then caught a show at UCB, then a quick drink at birds, then another show at the OTHER UCB on Santa Monica, then shwarma at Zankou, then running through the downpour to get shitfaced with bikini dancers at jumbos, then over to Hollywood for a couple more drinks at burgundy room. This place is like Disneyland for adults.

Gas is already above 3 again. One place has it at 329.

It was 235 less than a month ago. Yuck.

Also the rain was ridiculous.

It was still under $3 when I filled up this weekend.

Also:

zumper-rent.jpg

http://laist.com/2015/02/23/map_rental_prices_by_neighborhood.php

My rent goes up starting in March. $1800 for a 2 bedroom in Del Rey (the weird area between Culver City and Mar Vista).

beat

Gotta trade that off against having rent control, though. A friend of mine had a three bedroom (shared with a few roommates) in NoHo, I think, and they got hit with a huge rent hike, so they had to move.

FStop7

Banned
Hey... Is anyone here interested in doing some photo walks / street photography? I've been going pretty much every weekend since the new year. It would be nice to have a group, I think.

Anyone who is interested... Grand Central Market tomorrow morning... Santa Monica in the afternoon...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Has anyone noticed the recent surge in of new (-ish?) Jeep Wranglers on the freeways?

They have terrible gas mileage, too. It's almost as bad as my 98 SUV.

I assume that the cheap gas made them appealing, but it's going up again. I also recently saw a Hummer for the first time in a long time.

Oh god fellow CD14 LA-Gaffers,

I had FOUR separate Jose Huizar mailings arrive in the mail today. Huizar was the entirety of my mail delivery today. March 3 can't come quickly enough.

FStop7

Banned
I feel like I had the full Los Angeles experience today.

First, I witnessed a man gloating over another man who was clearly dying.

Second, I was in the middle of a crowd of hundreds demonstrating for immigration reforms.

Third, I met Mel Brooks and photographed him a bit.

beat

Hey, so, anyone here live in West Hollywood know anything about the election/candidates or have any good references about them? I literally think 90% of my mail is about this election and I don't know a damn thing about it.

EDIT: lol wat

I thought West Hollywood was a separate city from LA anyways. I think they seceded over rent control or something.

Just moved from Burbank to Long Beach. I know it's not technically Los Angeles but I'm sure a Long Beach OT doesn't exist. Surprisingly my commute to downtown actually got way easier taking the 710 and side streets.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just moved from Burbank to Long Beach. I know it's not technically Los Angeles but I'm sure a Long Beach OT doesn't exist. Surprisingly my commute to downtown actually got way easier taking the 710 and side streets.

the 5 is one of satan's freeways.

the 710 is lovely.

LA gaf. I might have a job offer in LA coming soon.

I've never been the biggest west coast fan but the opportunity will likely be good.

Sell me, a dude who likes the East Coast, on in living in LA. I'm just really weary about the time differences, no public transportation and having it be hard to meet people compared to a big NE city

Nothings confirmed or anything but I don't even know if I should pursue it

beat

Sell me, a dude who likes the East Coast, on in living in LA. I'm just really weary about the time differences, no public transportation and having it be hard to meet people compared to a big NE city

* The time difference probably can be a drag. I wouldn't know, I've lived in a few places but always along the west coast. I will say you can catch more sports on TV without having to stay up late, though.

* LA actually has pretty good public transportation. Unfortunately, it has "dense sprawl" -- nearly every part of metro LA is kinda dense, but nowhere is super-dense, so odds are some of the places you might want to go are far away from each other. Try to find closer substitutes wherever possible.

* I do think it the adage that you should "find your people" in LA is true. Or at least, it kinda worked for me. Depends who "your people" are, I guess. Definitely improv people are great if that's your thing, though.

LA gaf. I might have a job offer in LA coming soon.

I've never been the biggest west coast fan but the opportunity will likely be good.

LA is way more chill than the east coast, in the cool "personality" way and not in the "winter snowstorm" way. In that way, the east coast definitely has LA beat. I know a lot of people that moved out to LA from the east coast and they love it -- the weather is a million times better, and people are nicer. You may have to adjust to the fact that people are more indirect than they are in NY. A common complaint from east coasters is that people in LA will always agree to meet up for lunch but then never do so. This is for two reasons: one, they don't want to have a confrontation if they don't really like you. Two, the logistics of getting lunch are oftentimes a pain in the ass so both sides don't really want to do it unless it's mutually convenient.

LA does pizza different from NY. We know you like NY pizza. We don't care. And yes, Langer's is better than Katz's. The Mexican food in LA is way better and I think the variety of Asian cuisine is better as well.

There is public transportation, but LA is the land of sprawl. In square miles it dwarfs most cities. As such, people say it has "no public transportation" because you can't get everywhere from anywhere. It's certainly not as connected as other cities, but it is improving with rail being added all the time. The bus network is pretty good in a lot of places as well.

The traffic is absolutely bullshit so be prepared to schedule your life around it, and to learn the alternate routes to anywhere and everywhere.

FStop7

Banned
Portland definitely a cool area.The neighborhood feel is awesome which I've heard is pretty rare in most cities. Plus it's relatively cheap and public transportation is amazing if you are in a good spot. The downsides are the weather (which isn't THAT bad, but I'm a Minnesotan) and the extreme number of people who have no amibition (this isn't just a Portlandia joke, it's real).

I would never have believed this stereotype until I experienced it for myself. I've been to Portland 3 times over the past couple of months, I'm about to go again in a few days. I was... kind of stunned... by the malaise. I mean, Los Angeles is a pretty relaxed city compared to a place like NYC... but in Portland I could feel my frustration building in response to the apathy I was encountering fairly often...

LA does pizza different from NY. We know you like NY pizza. We don't care. And yes, Langer's is better than Katz's. The Mexican food in LA is way better and I think the variety of Asian cuisine is better as well.

This is a big thing. Don't come out here and bring a "The <food/sports/local culture thing> in <place you used to live> is the best/GOAT/realest/only thing that exists" attitude. Nobody fucking cares how much better it was. Fair warning because for some reason east coasters have a real hard on for doing this.

beat

This is a big thing. Don't come out here and bring a "The <food/sports/local culture thing> in <place you used to live> is the best/GOAT/realest/only thing that exists" attitude. Nobody fucking cares how much better it was. Fair warning because for some reason east coasters have a real hard on for doing this.

This in a thread subtitled "GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe". (which itself was a response to the NY thread saying it was the "Greatest City in the World".)

Hey, I'm from Vancouver, I know all about civic inferiority complexes.

FStop7

Banned
This in a thread subtitled "GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe". (which itself was a response to the NY thread saying it was the "Greatest City in the World".)

Hey, I'm from Vancouver, I know all about civic inferiority complexes.

I'm pretty sure the title is a riff on another thread about 'the greatest city in the world' hence this one is 'universe'

After a week in Long Beach I feel like saying the following;

What the fuck is wrong with parking in this city? I drove around for about 35 minutes looking for anywhere to park. I live right off 3rd and Broadway for reference. Thankfully I was just moving my girlfriends car and I have a bike but holy shit how do people deal with this every night?

What the fuck is wrong with parking in this city? I drove around for about 35 minutes looking for anywhere to park. I live right off 3rd and Broadway for reference. Thankfully I was just moving my girlfriends car and I have a bike but holy shit how do people deal with this every night?

This is why I always laugh when I see apartment listings that say there's "plenty of street parking available."

Ape

Banned

Parking costs money in Pasadena, you have to actually buy permits for overnight visitors.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

I'm staying in Long Beach by Atlantic and 7th and parking in Long Beach is probably the worst place to find parking in all of LA sans probably Downtown LA. Certaintly the worst for the residential areas of LA.

Main reason is because Cal State Long Beach has around 50,000 students and you have a lot of college students living in roommate situations.

Before I moved out here I remember visiting some buddies who were going to CSU LB, it was a Saturday night and I spent 45 minutes looking for a spot after already driving 2 hours. I was going blocks and blocks around till I finally found a spot.

But yeah it's because of the massive CSU LB population mainly and it's in all parts of Long Beach including the Eastside of LB where I'm currently at. We only have one parking spot at the house and I've had to park my car two blocks down in a not so good area.

FStop7

Banned
I think Ground Kontrol in Portland is known as being the best bar arcade in the US.

I literally just got back from Ground Kontrol... Free Play Thursday, unlimited games for $5 cover. Great atmosphere, great DJ, not overcrowded at all, cool people, tons of games and pinballs. A+++

GAF, I might be taking a job in LA if this latest round of interviews comes back favorable. Are you able to speak in broad terms which areas are ghetto/gang turf? I saw the pic posted above for 1 BR rents and I don't need to pay half my paycheck for an apt in Beverly Hills but I also dont want or need to pay for an apartment where I need to wear my flak jacket when I watch Wheel of Fortune at night. Lets just say I have a salary of 72k.

If you could post some areas to check out on Craigslist I'll give them a browse. Thanks!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
GAF, I might be taking a job in LA if this latest round of interviews comes back favorable. Are you able to speak in broad terms which areas are ghetto/gang turf? I saw the pic posted above for 1 BR rents and I don't need to pay half my paycheck for an apt in Beverly Hills but I also dont want or need to pay for an apartment where I need to wear my flak jacket when I watch Wheel of Fortune at night. Lets just say I have a salary of 72k.

If you could post some areas to check out on Craigslist I'll give them a browse. Thanks!

where is your job going to be located at?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It could possibly be in a number of locations around the city, but the main location is in El Segundo.

basically as you go east of Inglewood and Hawthorne, things will generally be a bit rougher (perhaps with some ok enclaves).

If you stay closer to the ocean, it's nicer. El Segundo is a terrific work spot for living in the South Bay (Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan beaches). Many people who work in El Segundo bike up along the ocean to work every day from those communities.

Top Bottom