• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

basically as you go east of Inglewood and Hawthorne, things will generally be a bit rougher (perhaps with some ok enclaves).

If you stay closer to the ocean, it's nicer. El Segundo is a terrific work spot for living in the South Bay (Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan beaches). Many people who work in El Segundo bike up along the ocean to work every day from those communities.

Awesome, thanks! Ill take a look. I hope im not jinxing myself but im feeling good about the interviews.

Anyone ever been to The Woods off La Brea and Sunset? It's in a weird shitty strip male area and yet is actually awesome and nice inside. Plus has awesome DJ and crowd.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
GAF, I might be taking a job in LA if this latest round of interviews comes back favorable. Are you able to speak in broad terms which areas are ghetto/gang turf?
Did you just use the word ghetto? Do you think all of LA is gang turf?

Anyway, if you're going to work in El Segundo, stick to the west side.

Clipjoint

I'm going to be working in El Segundo as well, but everything in the South Bay looks crazy expensive. I haven't spent much time on the west side so it'll be interesting to see what options are out there.

Zyzyxxz

I'm going to be working in El Segundo as well, but everything in the South Bay looks crazy expensive. I haven't spent much time on the west side so it'll be interesting to see what options are out there.

Rest of LA isn't doing too much better.

2015.02_zumper2.jpg

To better help you what are you looking for in choosing a place to live?

Does proximity to cool restaurants matter? Nightlife? How much space do you want?

Ape

Banned
Wonder if Venice prices will be going down. There's more problems recently with vagabonds and such in the area and it has been getting increasingly worse.

Zyzyxxz

Wonder if Venice prices will be going down. There's more problems recently with vagabonds and such in the area and it has been getting increasingly worse.

Considering how hipster Venice still is in the northern parts I doubt much will change.

Clipjoint

Rest of LA isn't doing too much better.

2015.02_zumper2.jpg

To better help you what are you looking for in choosing a place to live?

Does proximity to cool restaurants matter? Nightlife? How much space do you want?

I'm in Echo Park now, paying about $1,400 for a 1-bedroom. Culver City looks like it might be my best option at this point.

I can afford going up to $1,800-$2,000 but that'll definitely slow down the growth of my savings account.

Ape

Banned
You guys are probably right about Venice. However it is seriously dangerous in parts after dark. There's a great place called 26 Beach that has great burgers, check it out.

I'm in Echo Park now, paying about $1,400 for a 1-bedroom. Culver City looks like it might be my best option at this point.

I can afford going up to $1,800-$2,000 but that'll definitely slow down the growth of my savings account.

Move to South Central, that should pad your savings. Rent is only $900!

Lol, I hope i can get a response by tomorrow. Curse my procrastination.

anyway, My friends are taking me out tomorrow night for my birthday, I wanted to go to Ktown because I have heard great things. Unfortunately, my friends are being apprehensive, I do not want them to have a bad night because it will in turn ruin my night. So, onto the reason I'm posting in here, are there any good clubs that you guys would recommend? EDM or Hip Hop clubs (places where we can dance). I tried google, but there are so many different clubs that I don't know where to begin, plus, I don't trust my judgement. Just give me a bunch and I'll sort it out from there.

Thank you in advance!!

So, I'll be in LA in a week, for 4 days (work related).

I tought about grabbing an Air BnB, and was wondering :

- What are the neigborhood to avoid for the room / to visit

- What are some nice/safe neighborhood if I want to go out in the evening grab a drink / eat at the restaurant ?

Thank you very much for any tips !

(any recommended place to see ? any "gaming/retro related" great shop ?)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So, I'll be in LA in a week, for 4 days (work related).

I tought about grabbing an Air BnB, and was wondering :

- What are the neigborhood to avoid for the room / to visit

- What are some nice/safe neighborhood if I want to go out in the evening grab a drink / eat at the restaurant ?

Thank you very much for any tips !

(any recommended place to see ? any "gaming/retro related" great shop ?)

GameDude, but it's in the deep valley off the 170 freeway.

the bigger question is where do you need to be by for work?

So there was a town meeting of sorts near my apartment to talk about increased gang violence. A week and a half ago five people were shot and one died in the park my kid goes to two or three times a week. And this was at like 2-3 in the afternoon. Then last week someone gets shot and dies in an alleyway just a block or so away from there. Again just in the middle of the afternoon. Freaking me out.

GameDude, but it's in the deep valley off the 170 freeway.

the bigger question is where do you need to be by for work?

Actually, work related matters are near LA. I'll be on free time when in LA so I don't care. Just want to discover the city and have great time in the evening.

So there was a town meeting of sorts near my apartment to talk about increased gang violence. A week and a half ago five people were shot and one died in the park my kid goes to two or three times a week. And this was at like 2-3 in the afternoon. Then last week someone gets shot and dies in an alleyway just a block or so away from there. Again just in the middle of the afternoon. Freaking me out.

Was anything of note said? The park that the first shooting occurred at was the infamous park where snoop dog's body guard allegedly shot a gang member in the 90's.

Zyzyxxz

Anyone ? Must book ASAP

If you want walkable then try Venice, Santa Moinca or Downtown LA.

Westside LA is generally nicer, whiter, and better weather. Downtown LA is a bit more gritty but only in relation to westside, many great restaurants have been opening up and theres a lot of interesting pockets to check out like Chinatown or Little Tokyo and then there is Koreatown which is a whole section of the city unto itself.

In Downtown uber within downtown will usually run $6 max, normal rates.

An uber to westside LA will probably cost you $20ish. But you can always take the Exposition Line from Union Station then uber the rest of the way.

If you want walkable then try Venice, Santa Moinca or Downtown LA.

Westside LA is generally nicer, whiter, and better weather. Downtown LA is a bit more gritty but only in relation to westside, many great restaurants have been opening up and theres a lot of interesting pockets to check out like Chinatown or Little Tokyo and then there is Koreatown which is a whole section of the city unto itself.

In Downtown uber within downtown will usually run $6 max, normal rates.

An uber to westside LA will probably cost you $20ish. But you can always take the Exposition Line from Union Station then uber the rest of the way.

Thank you very much. was previously told that downtown was not that safe in the evening and nights, so I was reluctant. Downtown it is then !

Clipjoint

I'm near STAPLES Center, I should be OK. any restaurant / club to check in this area ?

Head to the Arts District, they have some great restaurants around there, plus cool street art all over the place. Stocking Frame is great if you want good food + drinks. EightyTwo is a newer barcade that is always swarmed with people if that's your thing. I like Wolf and Crane in Little Tokyo for a chill drinking spot.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to avoid downtown LA, it's perfectly safe and has a great vibe right now.

Anyways, places you need to go if its your first time in DTLA.

Seven Grand.
Little Tokyo for Ramen and Yakitori. It's also a great place to check out anime.
Walk around Chinatown then eat at Chego. (Sorry Johnny! I haven't eaten at the Ramen Champ yet.)
Go to Grand Central Market
KazuNori for some good hand rolls.

Head over to K-town to get some great Korean food. It isn't that far either.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to avoid downtown LA, it's perfectly safe and has a great vibe right now.

The only people I ever hear say DTLA is bad are white transplants that live on the West Side. They usually only have friends that are also transplants and don't leave the West Side because they fear they might see a minority that isn't Asian or Indian.

Venice prices going down? Not with all those assholes using AirBnB to make even more money off their Venice properties. Or all the tech gentrification coming to Venice/Mar Vista/Marina Del Ray/Play Vista. That whole area is only going to get more expensive.

The only people I ever hear say DTLA is bad are white transplants that live on the West Side. They usually only have friends that are also transplants and don't leave the West Side because they fear they might see a minority that isn't Asian or Indian.

Or they just haven't been to downtown in forever. I'm a white transplant that lives on the West Side but I started out in LA south of downtown, worked near Staples center for awhile and semi regularly visit a friend who lives over on 9th and I've definitely seen the improvements. A lot of people are stuck 10 years in the past with their idea of downtown.

Seven Grand.
Little Tokyo for Ramen and Yakitori. It's also a great place to check out anime.
Walk around Chinatown then eat at Chego. (Sorry Johnny! I haven't eaten at the Ramen Champ yet.)

I dont know man,

My brother was mugged outside of LA Live, I live in Santa Monica, and only go to downtown when I have to, and when the sun is up.

Lived here all my life. close to 40 years. Been to downtown maybe 20 times.Its just not a clean or safe place. Then again the homeless problem in Santa Monica has also become out of control, and has increased crime. I don't like what this city is becoming.

Or they just haven't been to downtown in forever. I'm a white transplant that lives on the West Side but I started out in LA south of downtown, worked near Staples center for awhile and semi regularly visit a friend who lives over on 9th and I've definitely seen the improvements. A lot of people are stuck 10 years in the past with their idea of downtown.

It's really weird man. I'm a white transplant but all the people I hang out with are from here. We meet people all the time that are like "I heard DTLA is scary". My friends usually straighten them out quickly.

Seven Grand.

Thanks for the head ups !!

Zyzyxxz

Seven Grand.

I'm no longer working with Ramen Champ actually, in the process of starting my own concept hopefully by the years end.

Don't bother with yakitori or ramen in Little Tokyo if you've ever had high quality ramen/Tokyo quality, everything here is substandard.

Do try the udon place, its my favorite restaurant in Little Tokyo. Also I like to think Downtown has better sushi than Little Tokyo (Kazunori, Sushi ZO, Q Sushi - if you are a true baller).

But I think restaurants really worth trying are some that are reflective of current LA chefs in that we can't win Michelin stars but we don't give a fuck about it.

Top DTLA restaurant pics for me:

Bestia (Italian with a Mediterranean influence)
Orsa & Winston (some sort of Italian/Japanese inspired tasting menu place)
Grand Central Market (almost every stall in there has something of note worth eating)

And if you are willing to go into Koreatown, Silverlake, and Mid City the options explode. If you are looking for dining companions I would love a reason to go to Bestia again but reservations are difficult unless you show up right when the restaurants open on a weeknight).

I'm no longer working with Ramen Champ actually, in the process of starting my own concept hopefully by the years end.

Hopefully you're successful.

Don't bother with yakitori or ramen in Little Tokyo if you've ever had high quality ramen/Tokyo quality, everything here is substandard.

No love for Kokekokko? I preferred it more than Yakitoriya in Little Osaka.

Zyzyxxz

Hopefully you're successful.

No love for Kokekokko? I preferred it more than Yakitoriya in Little Osaka.

Honestly the only places IMO that have acceptable Yakitori are Torihei in Torrance or Shin Sen Gumi (torrance and San Gabriel) both have better prices and better skewers plus a more expansive menu too.

Kokekokko clientele is quite pretentious (namely those in the black plate holding category) you can easily identify them with the overly bro-tastic interactions with the chef and drinking heavy red wine which is not the best pairing for yakitori, generally rose' or whites do better). None of that would bother me if it were the fact that the skewers were about on par with the shittiest yakitori I had in Tokyo.

As for Yakitoriya the owner supposedly worked for Kokekokko a long time ago, in fact if you look at the menus of both establishments they are pretty much the same down to the font. Hence if its in the same vein then I'd rather not both with the student if I find the master disagreeable. But enough of me shit talking other restaurants.

Honestly the only places IMO that have acceptable Yakitori are Torihei in Torrance or Shin Sen Gumi (torrance and San Gabriel) both have better prices and better skewers plus a more expansive menu too.

I've been meaning to go to both places for some time.

Have you been to Chung Hae Jin in K-town? My Korean friends told me to go there.

Top Bottom