• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Los Angeles |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the Universe

Zyzyxxz

I've been meaning to go to both places for some time.

Have you been to Chung Hae Jin in K-town? My Korean friends told me to go there.

Not a fan of Korean sushi (why pay 80% for something that equates to less than 50% of the Japanese counterpart). Nor am I interested in trying the whole moving octopus tentacle thing, I'm told its chewy and has no flavor and more of an experience thing which I don't care for.

Being that I live in K-Town there aren't that many joints I frequent, Korean food can get boring fast since there's so little variations among the restaurant menus aside from a few regional specialty dishes.

Hit me up if you want to check out anything in K-Town I still need to explore more since I've only been here a year and have yet to scratch the surface.

Clipjoint

No love for Kushi Shabu in Little Tokyo? That place is fantastic.

Also, Sushi ZO is legit. Some of the best sushi I've ever had in my life.

Zyzyxxz

No love for Kushi Shabu in Little Tokyo? That place is fantastic.

Also, Sushi ZO is legit. Some of the best sushi I've ever had in my life.

I think Kushi is decent but I'm not a big fan of shabu shabu in restaurants, its one of those things thats so much better and cheaper when you do it at home surrounded by friends on a cold winter night and drinking beers together.

Although Taiwanese/Chinese hot pot in Asia = super cheap and tasty.

tumblr_inline_nnxu9nYfVO1qzsn2i_540.jpg

Giant Meh.

Zyzyxxz

I'd love some recommendations for all those neighborhoods.

K-Town favorites:

Ham Ji Park (get pork neck stew and pork spare ribs, done)
Kang Hodong Baekjong (best KBBQ around but you will spend $50+ per person)
Myung Dong Kyoja (really good chicken noodle soup and dumplings)

Silverlake:

L&E Oysterbar, hands down best oysters in town and great hot food to go with it.
Blackhogg - great neighborhood restaurant serving Korean influenced American fare.
Night + Market Song - possibly some of the best Thai food in Los Angeles, heavy focus on Isaan and meat dishes.

Midcity:

Sycamore Kitchen - good sandwiches, pastries, coffee drinks
Republique - great brunch, solid French bistro dinner

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
K-Town favorites:

Ham Ji Park (get pork neck stew and pork spare ribs, done)
Kang Hodong Baekjong (best KBBQ around but you will spend $50+ per person)
Myung Dong Kyoja (really good chicken noodle soup and dumplings)

Silverlake:

L&E Oysterbar, hands down best oysters in town and great hot food to go with it.
Blackhogg - great neighborhood restaurant serving Korean influenced American fare.
Night + Market Song - possibly some of the best Thai food in Los Angeles, heavy focus on Isaan and meat dishes.

Midcity:

Sycamore Kitchen - good sandwiches, pastries, coffee drinks
Republique - great brunch, solid French bistro dinner

Sqirl is terrific in Silverlake for breakfast/brunch/lunch.

beanman25

Guys. I have a super favor to ask.

I received an invitation from a developer to get a 3 day E3 pass. I'll have to fly to LA obviously. They told me just yesterday, so the only hotels open are super expensive.

Any of you kind folks down to have a fellow Gaffer stay with you for 4-5 days?

I've never traveled on my own, so this whole thing is tripping me out.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

I received an invitation from a developer to get a 3 day E3 pass. I'll have to fly to LA obviously. They told me just yesterday, so the only hotels open are super expensive.

I don't have experience with it but you should try airbnb maybe?

Also, you can get a hotel in Pasadena/Glendale area (or even northern OC area I guess) and it isn't too far from downtown LA (about 40 min to 1 hour drive depending on when you go).

If you are going really early there isn't a ton of traffic. E3 starts at like 7/8 or something, if I remember correctly, so the drive was never that bad for me when I went a few years ago. Obviously you'd need to rent a car.

Ape

Banned

what's expensive to you? also, think that you're going to be renting a car and all that.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Giant meh. Wasn't that great when I had em.

what in god's name did you eat there?

A. I'd argue the Blueberry Bourbon Basil is the best donut I've ever had, and I've had a lot.
A Part 2. I'd argue their Apple Fritter is the best Apple Fritter I've ever had.

B. if you say anything about liking Voodoo more....

Also, don't feel like you are limited to the hotels right next to the convention center. Despite the things people say about LA's public transit, getting to and from the convention center can be pretty damn easy.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Also, don't feel like you are limited to the hotels right next to the convention center. Despite the things people say about LA's public transit, getting to and from the convention center can be pretty damn easy.

yup - there is a train stop across the parking lots from there / Staples center. You can easily stay in say, North Hollywood near the red line metro, and use the train each day.

beat

what's expensive to you? also, think that you're going to be renting a car and all that.

There are hostels that still have available beds for E3 dates. The one I mostly like (Banana Bungalow -- not the West Hollywood location) is fairly convenient by transit too. Buy a $1 TAP card, put money on it, and take the Red line, transfer to the Blue Line or Expo Line. There may well be more convenient options. And crashing with a GAFfer will be cheaper than a hostel, but <shrug>.

(that said, tips for staying in a hostel: know ahead of time what's provided and what you have to bring, and try to bring a sleep eye mask and ear plugs.)

TCL Mann Theater in Hollywood, with its Laser DLP Imax 3D, has one of the best screens in the country. Just saw San Andreas there and I can't believe it's my first time there since it was renovated in 2013.

DopeToast

Banned
I have never, ever been to Los Angeles (actually I've only been as far west as New Mexico once for a camping trip), but for some reason am feeling drawn to it. I live in Ohio, and am doing ten months of service with AmeriCorps in Denver starting in October. But as of next July I will be looking to either move somewhere else or go back to Ohio, and both are realistic options. I'm convinced I want to move to either coast, and San Francisco seems like it would simply be too expensive.

Really, I'm looking for an excuse (and a job) to move to either LA or New York. It's still at least a year off, but it's fun to read threads this like to get some idea of what to expect.

Any advice from suburban Midwest ex-pats who moved to LA would be appreciated.

Zyzyxxz

I have never, ever been to Los Angeles (actually I've only been as far west as New Mexico once for a camping trip), but for some reason am feeling drawn to it. I live in Ohio, and am doing ten months of service with AmeriCorps in Denver starting in October. But as of next July I will be looking to either move somewhere else or go back to Ohio, and both are realistic options. I'm convinced I want to move to either coast, and San Francisco seems like it would simply be too expensive.

Really, I'm looking for an excuse (and a job) to move to either LA or New York. It's still at least a year off, but it's fun to read threads this like to get some idea of what to expect.

SF and NY are def crazy expensive, at least in LA you can rent a room for a somewhat reasonable price in comparison. But you need a car.

beat

I'd say start looking at job boards and Padmapper* now. Not that you can line something up a year in advance, but just to get a sense of the local markets.

* anyone here ever used Westside Rentals?

Many places for rent in LA don't provide a fridge. You may need a hundred to a couple hundred to buy a used one.

When looking for a place, ask if it's rent controlled. It sucks to get hit with a 20%+ rent hike after the initial lease is up.

Check your credit score, and not by those scuzzy businesses that sell you a "free" credit score plus a subscription you have to remember to cancel. Get the actual free one, or use Creditkarma.com (maybe?).

If you want to work in videogames, try living on the west side. If you want to work in showbiz, probably something more central? Not really sure. Or NoHo?

I actually do think you can live in LA without a car, but it just takes some more effort. Live close to work, and have your fun be close to where you live and work, or failing that, very near to a major transit line (frequent service and/or express/limited stop service). See here: http://www.laweekly.com/arts/yes-i-am-car-free-in-los-angeles-4393385

what in god's name did you eat there?

A. I'd argue the Blueberry Bourbon Basil is the best donut I've ever had, and I've had a lot.
A Part 2. I'd argue their Apple Fritter is the best Apple Fritter I've ever had.

B. if you say anything about liking Voodoo more....

Voodoo and Blue Star are both overrated donut joints of Portland. Tonallis on Alberta St. is far and away the best donuts I've ever had. Makes me miss Portland, the donut scene in LA blows. I had DK Donuts the other day and was pretty disappointed.

I grew up in the suburbs of Minneapolis. Weather will be a huge upgrade but the cost of living and sheer amount of people is nuts. I went home for the first time and it made me miss going to bars and getting $2 shots and actually walking down streets that are not littered with people, trash, or dog shit. West Coast is the best lifestyle though. Always stuff to do.

I also agree with the concept of living close to where you work. I honestly don't understand how people commute hour and a half to work and barely live outside the city and still pay a good amount.

West side rentals blows. Use Padmapper.

beat

Oh, I forgot to say earlier: get a place with AC if you can. (A portable AC unit is half as efficient as a window/wall unit, but that's still better than nothing.) When I lived in LA I didn't follow that rule at first, but I got a portable unit from woot.com for half price, so at least that was something.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm flying in on Sunday for vacation, and the first few nights we're staying in El Segundo. I got tickets to the Basement Jaxx show on Sunday and didn't think about what a pain it was going to be to get over there from so far away. I'm thinking I'll get a ticket at the nearest park and ride and take an Uber there? Is that my best bet?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm flying in on Sunday for vacation, and the first few nights we're staying in El Segundo. I got tickets to the Basement Jaxx show on Sunday and didn't think about what a pain it was going to be to get over there from so far away. I'm thinking I'll get a ticket at the nearest park and ride and take an Uber there? Is that my best bet?

yup, uber to the park and ride. Definitely the best / cheapest / fastest route.

Zyzyxxz

Anyone have suggestions for best cell service in LA? Girlfriend and I are joining and was wondering what people's experience was with T-Mobile?

Personally I live in Ktown and use to live in Arcadia and both areas were fine for me. I find everywhere in LA is good but sometimes south of the 10 freeway I get spotty service.

went to HaHa Cafe on a Wednesday night and guess who walks in unadvertised, Arsenio Hall and Damon Wayans. Marlon was there too but didn't get on stage.

bO88b8C.jpg

sikkinixx

Hey Gaf

The wife and I are spending a few days in Disneyland but before we go home we have a day to spend in LA. Probably from about 8am to 4pm (flight leaves at 7ish). We'll have a rental car that we are returning just outside LAX so we can putt around for the day.

I was thinking of going to the beach? Manhattan and Santa Monica I see are close but but are they worth going to? Easy (reasonably) to park the car?

golem

Hey Gaf

The wife and I are spending a few days in Disneyland but before we go home we have a day to spend in LA. Probably from about 8am to 4pm (flight leaves at 7ish). We'll have a rental car that we are returning just outside LAX so we can putt around for the day.

I was thinking of going to the beach? Manhattan and Santa Monica I see are close but but are they worth going to? Easy (reasonably) to park the car?

Depending on what you are looking for in a beach, both are solid places to check out. They will be crowded on weekends but you should be able to manage parking. Santa Monica is more touristy and iconic I would say.

Hey Gaf

Weekdays, parking is a breeze. Weekends, not so much. That's a lot of time, you can visit Hermosa, Manhattan, Venice, 3rd St Promenade, and Santa Monica pier.

Top Bottom