• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

d0c_zaius

anyone want to start a co-op campaign? GT: Dok Zaius

edit: I cant get a coop game started here and no one is playing this on my friends list, this isnt a good sign

Zozobra

This game is definitely rough around the edges, but it really is fun with a group of half-decent players. I just wish more people used mics...

Is drop-in functionality something they might patch in the future? I'm no developer so I don't know how much work that would require, but that really seems to be something that needs to be fixed.

Just beat the campaign. Great from start to finish. No, the difficulty does not ease up and it'll take a couple of tries but the conclusion was appropriate. About 14 hours total to finish, plenty for me. Now it's time for Campaign Hard.

sarcastor

the customization is fucking fubar. I earn soo many points and yet all i get in that stupid jackpot are noms de guerre and emotes, which is 100% FUCKING USELESS since i'm playing single player. Im starting episode five and i've only managed to get a revolver and dummy grenades, and about 12 Noms de guerres, which even in multiplayer, is FUCKING USELESS.

jesus christ, in episode 4, mission 4 i got 12,500 points and out of 6 spins, i got 4 emotes and 2 noms. not one fucking weapon. WTF?

and someone explain to how the hell am i shooting a machine gun underwater? and why is it every time i'm knocked to my feet, it takes 5 seconds to stand up, which is 3 seconds more than it takes for a bad guy to knock me down to my feet again?

and why is it considered suicide when you get knocked off a platform and plunge to your depth? maybe if the player wasn't retarded and i was capable of using the grappling hook while falling, I would save myself rather than die a FUCKING RETARD.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
After playing the game more... I'm suprised Drop in is even mentioned now.

Generally, games that consider each block to be based on score, such as this, or even PSU story missions, or any type of "Arena with buddies" modes, restrict a party to only be those who you start with.

This whole game is a score fest. Droping someone into the middle of it would totally mess with the way scores are tallied at end of stage. Of course they COULD do stuff about that, such as grade depending on what point you entered in at, or make checkpoints within those rather short chapters, but I think that's more than just a simple patch.

And my short 3-3 story:

Bro and I have been stuck at it for a day, thanks to playing splitscreen. Don't even have A.I to load the gun! But we focused on what we where doing wrong, and polished our strategies... and man, it was quite easy once we had it all figured out. I LOVE that feeling in a game, where something feels arduous at first, but then, once you overcome your preconceptions on how YOU think it should be done, and instead, try and figure out what your're SUPPOSE to be doing... tres facile!

Thanks for the Tips, Price Drop!

And I must say, again... THIS GAME HAS 8 CONTROL OPTIONS! No one should ever have a problem finding one they like, if they don't enjoy the original. This game is made so much better than some give it credit for...

SAB CA said:
And my short 3-3 story:

Bro and I have been stuck at it for a day, thanks to playing splitscreen. Don't even have A.I to load the gun! But we focused on what we where doing wrong, and polished our strategies... and man, it was quite easy once we had it all figured out. I LOVE that feeling in a game, where something feels arduous at first, but then, once you overcome your preconceptions on how YOU think it should be done, and instead, try and figure out what your're SUPPOSE to be doing... tres facile!

Thanks for the Tips, Price Drop!

NP! What I love about the game is that you do learn something new each time you fail and really want to test it out the next time. I think it was intentional that they don't tell you EXACTLY what you have to do. You scramble and panic, test out things, figure it out, then perfect it the next time.

There are so many ways to complete missions and each person will have a different experience. Will probably try out all new strategies in Hard mode.

This game is epic, amazing, awesome. a friend who i've been playing with referenced it's likeness to CONTRA.

got to chapter 4-3 on HARD, and it's been a total blast!

i still am in total shock that anyone reviewing this would have the guts to slap a 5/10 on this.

this is literally up there with the godhand review, in terms of completely missing the connection of the gameplay mechanics.

seems if a game doesn't have a tutorial level or some dipshit telling you EXACTLY what to you, thats too much?

MacBosse

Looks like LP2 will completely bomb here in Sweden. One of the bigger online retailers (webhallen) doesn't even have the game on the top 20 list.

randomwab

quinntendopower said:
This game is epic, amazing, awesome. a friend who i've been playing with referenced it's likeness to CONTRA.

got to chapter 4-3 on HARD, and it's been a total blast!

i still am in total shock that anyone reviewing this would have the guts to slap a 5/10 on this.

this is literally up there with the godhand review, in terms of completely missing the connection of the gameplay mechanics.

seems if a game doesn't have a tutorial level or some dipshit telling you EXACTLY what to you, thats too much?

I haven't read any reviews, but going from the scores that I've seen floating about, I would imagine it got hit pretty hard for the Single Player mode effectively being a co-op campaign with bots.

You're right though, Contra is probably the best comparison for this game. Big guns, big monsters, great in co-op and just a ton of fun from what I’ve played of it so far, although I loved the first game so it was probably to be expected.

At this point, I can't wait for a few friends to pick this up so we can blast through the campaign.

Cornbread78

I have a friend who has registered with the forums and is picking up this game. any gaffers looking for a co-op partner on PS3 in NA?

Shoot me a message if so

Llyranor

Well, I was hoping to progress through the campaign yesterday, but instead we snatched up an extra 3rd co-op buddy who just got the game, so we went through 1-3 to 2-3 again. Still as much fun the second time around, though I think we were a bit grenade-happy around the Pulverizer this time and had to restart that mission a few times :D

What an awesome game.

As useless as the noms de guerre and emotes are, they're pretty fun. 'Real Men Wear Glasses' 'Princess' 'Least Valuable Player' 'I've Covered Wars' 'Vegetarian'. Good fun. It'd be nice to unlock more abilities/weapons, though :/

Dizzle24

sarcastor said:
the customization is fucking fubar. I earn soo many points and yet all i get in that stupid jackpot are noms de guerre and emotes, which is 100% FUCKING USELESS since i'm playing single player. Im starting episode five and i've only managed to get a revolver and dummy grenades, and about 12 Noms de guerres, which even in multiplayer, is FUCKING USELESS.

jesus christ, in episode 4, mission 4 i got 12,500 points and out of 6 spins, i got 4 emotes and 2 noms. not one fucking weapon. WTF?

and someone explain to how the hell am i shooting a machine gun underwater? and why is it every time i'm knocked to my feet, it takes 5 seconds to stand up, which is 3 seconds more than it takes for a bad guy to knock me down to my feet again?

and why is it considered suicide when you get knocked off a platform and plunge to your depth? maybe if the player wasn't retarded and i was capable of using the grappling hook while falling, I would save myself rather than die a FUCKING RETARD.

And what's up with the [lack of] proper checkpoint system? I mean, C'MON!! I get a "game over" at mission 3 and have to start the whole chapter over? Fuck you!

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Ugh. Don't suppose any other UK-GAF are still waiting on their preorder from Zavvi? Didn't arrive today either.
I'm still waiting, too. I think the reason of this is the Volcano cloud.

TeTr1C

I'm not exactly stuck on 3-3, but I've tried it twice with a friend and two bots, and failed due to falling off. :lol It doesn't make ANY sense why the first 2 chapters are 1 mission each, but 3-3 is like 3 missions in one chapter, so when you fail you have to do the first two parts again. The first two parts are fucking awesome though. I have a feeling we'll get through it when we continue tonight.

I need some more people on my friends list to play MP with though. I have one person. I'm on PS3 so add me if you plan on playing MP often.

PSN ID is ryanisolation

Also, how difficult is the game on HARD, and what exactly changes?

TeTr1C said:
Also, how difficult is the game on HARD, and what exactly changes?
This. Please someone answer! I'd like to make the switch, but I'm not too great yet. If it's like CoD on veteran, I'm gonna have to wait till after my first playthrough.

me and the people i've been playing with started on hard and haven't really had any issues so far.

3-3 took us 3 tries, which felt fine considering the difficulty and length of the section

not sure what normal is like, but hard other then a few sections has been pretty easy so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
3-3 also took me 3 tries, annoying that you had to redo the other train parts though. Other that that, the part is really awesome. But then my Live disconnected and everyone immediatly got booted to the main screen. :lol

The game has a ton of weird design issues but overall I'm enjoying it a lot.

Llyranor

First two episodes are very manageable on hard for 2p without AI. We've had to restart a few missions a few times, but nothing too difficult.

canadiancrowe

Neo Member
Does anyone have any guesstimates on how active the community will be?

I just bought it and am wondering if it is worth sticking with or trading in for Modnation Racers (I got this for 40 at Walmart so if I power trade at Eb I can pretty much profit)

I am actually really enjoying it so far. I haven't been able to get into any co-op games outside of the prologue yet.

Llyranor said:
First two episodes are very manageable on hard for 2p without AI. We've had to restart a few missions a few times, but nothing too difficult.

Same here. The snipers get pretty vicious with one-hit takedowns and there's a definite difference from Normal but still beatable.

In the last chapters from 6-2 to 6-3 the AI really went to town against the Akrid and did their thing. Fired away and activated data posts I wouldn't risk my life for.

Also, played 3-3 again with four real players in online co-op. Everyone ran a good game, beat all three sections in about 23 minutes and got a BASS ranking haha.

It's gonna be even later for me to get on as now I had to order from Amazon =/

But when it's on it's on! You hardcore LP1 kids, feel free to add me :D

XBL: AgentOtaku

Sectus

Random brag time! I got the world record on advanced training map 2-1! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh90R7hJBsg

Edit: ... gosh darnit someone already beat my score with a half second!

canadiancrowe said:
Does anyone have any guesstimates on how active the community will be?
It should remain pretty active. Lost Planet Colonies had a very loyal group of fans which played it for years. With LP2 having coop and better online functionality, I assume it'll be more active.

Sectus said:
It should remain pretty active. Lost Planet Colonies had a very loyal group of fans which played it for years. With LP2 having coop and better online functionality, I assume it'll be more active.

Yeah, it should have a dedicated fanbase for a few years. Although a lot of those, especially the Japanese/Korean players, will be the hardcore players. I remember jumping into the original online 6 months after release and getting completely destroyed :lol

Feindflug

Played yesterday a few levels alone on Normal (360 version) and I really loved the game - AI is decent, missions are quick and fun and the gameplay is like LP only better...I still don't get all the hate by the reviewers.

Also MT Framework 2.0 is a freakin' beast, it looks so much better than the first game and runs silky smooth - the lighting, the water, the explosions, the character models, the bosses all look amazing...MT Framework is definitely the best multiplatform engine by far IMO.

I can't wait to play the game with 3 more friends. :D

BTW the shotgun is simply OMG! awesome! in this game...

Erasus

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Yeah, it should have a dedicated fanbase for a few years. Although a lot of those, especially the Japanese/Korean players, will be the hardcore players. I remember jumping into the original online 6 months after release and getting completely destroyed :lol

Ofc those who stick around will be the hardcore players and knows about the game :lol

Cardon

Apologies if this is old but I didn't see it anywhere. Looks like the PS3 version is getting Killzone characters. The trailer is nicely put together and has me amped to check things out.

Wondering what difficulty to play on. 3 friends and I are going to try and finish this game in a day. Starting in the morning and finish by the same night. I'm thinking normal but they are suggesting the hardest difficulty. What do those whove played it think. Is it still a challenge for 4 playing on normal?

Sectus

CitizenCope said:
Wondering what difficulty to play on. 3 friends and I are going to try and finish this game in a day. Starting in the morning and finish by the same night. I'm thinking normal but they are suggesting the hardest difficulty. What do those whove played it think. Is it still a challenge for 4 playing on normal?
It's definitely still a challenge on normal with 4 players.

Since the game is very replayable I'd recommend going through the difficulties one by one (you might as well skip easy difficulty though).

JardeL

Lost Planet 2 Has Something Special For PS3 Fans

That’s right, coming in June, PS3 owners will be able to download two skins of the Helghast characters from Killzone at no charge! These skins, in addition to the previously announced Monster Hunter skin which will be available later this month, are exclusive to PlayStation fans across the globe. From the “My Page” menu in Lost Planet 2, players can build and customize their own unique character for use in the online versus mode. Once a player completes the campaign mode, they can port their multiplayer characters to the co-op story action, including the in-game cut scenes. While there are numerous options for unlocking head, torso, arm, leg, and backpack pieces for your character, the character skins for Helghast, Monster Hunter, Dead Rising’s Frank West, and Resident Evil’s Albert Wesker must all be used as a single piece.

Lost Planet 2 launched on Tuesday, but the two Killzone Helghast scout skins will be available at the end of June and will be free of charge. Keep an eye out on the PlayStation.Blog and Capcom’s Unity blog for more specifics on timing and availability!
You can see Helghasts at the end of the trailer;

[ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/05/14/lost-planet-2-has-something-special-for-ps3-fans/ ].

It is pretty stupid that you have to restart the whole chapter if you die. Other than that, I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Not particularly fun single player but co-op is very good. Got to 3-3 just playing with randoms and died :lol

canadiancrowe

Neo Member
LeMaximilian said:
Yikes. I love this game, but that's one of the fastest game price drops I've ever seen.

edit: Also, does the abilities you earn through the slot machine work in real MP?

I'm thinking it's just a promo thing. In Canada we have 3 of the 4 major retailers sell it for $40 on release day.

Zozobra

Ok, is it actually possible to take out the driver of a VS with a sniper rifle? I haven't even bothered trying because I line up headshots perfectly with the dudes that are on the turrets and I simply can't kill them.

JdFoX187

Banned
Since I chose the slowest shipping I could from Gamestop, my copy finally came in. I was a huge Lost Planet fan and loved both demos. If anyone needs a co-op partner tonight, send me a FR on Xbox LIVE: MasterFox187

I has no friends to play with :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
sarcastor said:

well if it makes you feel any better I'm at :

spins :

~30 noms
~15 emotes
~6 abilities
~1 weapon ._.

guess theyre rare drop

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat it, really enjoyed it. Has some annoying parts but also some really memorable stuff, most of the second half of the game was constantly awesome.

canadiancrowe

Neo Member
Any opinions on the PS3 version of the first one?

I had it for the 360, but quit due to the annoying missile spam mission (one of the last ones).

Now that I have a PS3 I was thinking about picking it up again.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Cardon said:
Apologies if this is old but I didn't see it anywhere. Looks like the PS3 version is getting Killzone characters. The trailer is nicely put together and has me amped to check things out.

Which kinda makes me wonder how awesome it would be if we play as Helghasts rebels in KZ3. Humans are boring.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
canadiancrowe said:
Any opinions on the PS3 version of the first one?

I had it for the 360, but quit due to the annoying missile spam mission (one of the last ones).

Now that I have a PS3 I was thinking about picking it up again.

OH GOD! I'M GOING BLIND FROM THE BLOOM!

Oh, yeah and IIRC it chugged in a few places because it was an outsourced/non-MT engine like 360 version port job.

It's considered HORRIBLE by most everyone, but if you really want to play LP1 and don't own a 360...

Llyranor

Just finished 3-3. Gosh, that was insanedly epic.

Coordinating the railgun procedures, while one of us was loading and energizing the shells (either manually, or via the crane when the gun was in neutral position), while another was cooling down the whole thing (and stocking up on T-Eng in the saferoom) and helping bring shells to an easy-to-pick-up area, while another was manning the gun. Having to keep an eye on the Cat G as it sometimes prepared to charge at the train (and thus setting up safely on the same side to avoid being thrown off), and activating the side thrusters to allow faster turning.

Good stuff, really awesome stuff. The game could have been clearer re: the directives, but we were really pumped trying to figure out how the thing worked while under pressure (baptism by fire, I guess). It got really tense as we beat it with B.Gauge 500 left. Phew!

I can see how it'd be really frustrating having to do all that in singleplayer, but coordinating all this in co-op was an absolute blast.

Top Bottom