• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

atomsk

Party Pooper
plowed through the single player, fairly meh. did people complain you fought too many Akrid in the first game? jeez

dipped into multi as i spent a good deal of time in LP1 and Colonies...

NO AKRID HUNTER MODE? WHAT THE FUCK

back to gamefly you go. maybe i'll pick this up when it hits $30

=(

Played 2-3 Hard. Really love this fight against the Cat G Akrid boss. If there was ever a maniacal flying beast in a video game, this takes the cake. Tosses rocks, throws fireballs, jumps and lands RIGHT next to you. So much fun taking it down in online co-op.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've been umm-ing and ah-ing about whether or not I'll buy this, but I've decided that I'm going to wait it out for the PC version.

Man, I haven't even got to the boss fight on 3-3 yet. The first part is incredibly boring and no matter who I play with we always get killed by this cheap turret on the second part. I can see why a lot of people have a problem with it.

I'm dreading finally getting to the end and then being killed by the boss, which seems likely if it really is unclear on what you have to do.

Kaldea

I am deeply in love with the boss fights in this game. They are amazing. :D

I should really try multiplayer at some point. :lol

Wazzim

Banned
So is this good? I have to decide to buy this or Alan Wake...this looked fun cause I am a big Monster Hunter fan.

gunstarhero

So is this good? I have to decide to buy this or Alan Wake...this looked fun cause I am a big Monster Hunter fan.

Well, I never played a lot of MH, but always wanted to get into it.

I was a HUGE PSO fan - and Lost Planet 2 is filling my PSO/MH urge nicely.

I just started playing with a couple of people - meeting every night to tackle a few rounds - and it's really fun.

Read a lot of complaints about the controls - but I just don't get that. I loved the controls of the first game, and this builds on it.

Only on 2.3, but I can say now that it's one of my favorite games this year.

I am on the last boss and have been playing with 3 friends over LIVE and I must say that this game would be such a miserable single player experience. I am digging the game as a coop game but jeez, I would get so frustrated at some of the parts if I was playing alone. Another complaint is that most of the levels dont really feel like "Campaign" type levels and more like multiplayer maps.

All and all this is a great coop game thats meant to be played with your friends. I hope that in LP3 they take a look at Insomniac's Resistance 2 and create a good 10 hour single player game like LP1 and add the coop as another mode thats different from the SP mode. As a fan of LP1 single player I am pretty disappointed that the experience just did not feel as "tight" this time around.

Llyranor

Just got to 4-5. Episode 4 is awesome. It's also longer than the previous ones.

From escaping the prison cell with only pistols, to commandeering a submarine, to making a nighttime beach landing, to acquiring tons of new VS'es and engaging against Akrid/VS hybrids, to going underwater with an awesome cool new experimental VS, to trying out new VS'es with lightsabers.

Man, I love this game. What an awesome co-op experience.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wazzim said:

I am liking the game, but it has a ton of issues. Some of them impact the ability of how much fun you can actually have with the game, like the fact that players can't jump in to a co-op mission in progress. This means you have to sit waiting at the launch screen or just play with less than a full team. Or, if somebody drops out, you're just hosed and have one less player to go with. The entire online interface is horrible, actually. It's a shame because the game itself isn't bad at all, more my type of thing than fast paced FPS games too. But it is such a chore to actually get into a game.

Just played through all of episodes 3 and 4 and it was amazing. 3-3 is bad until the boss, which is absolutely fantastic. Beat it first try. I don't think some people realise that you can turn the rail gun 90 degrees in either direction instantly by using the control panels near the seat. We had one guy in the helicopter, one in the turret and I basically had to work the gun on my own :lol The AI actually activated the cooling units when required. The only time when playing that the AI has ever done anything useful.

4 was incredible fun, especially the boss. I couldn't believe how long it was either.

I'll repeat what other people have said and advise anyone who wants to play through it alone to just not bother. It's really not very fun at all and the friendly AI is some of the worst I've seen. They just stand about and refuse to defend control beacons, randomly deciding to fire every so often. The game is great with only 2 human players though.

I got really lucky with the slot machine. I've unlocked Gum Grenade 2, Rifle 2, an ability which starts every chapter with 15 Gum Grenades and the Handcannon. One of the most awesome guns I have used in any game. Fires a mini rocket which knocks enemies and even VS's back and explodes after a few seconds. Great fun to use.

It seems that in normal mode you just restart the mission that you're on, but in hard you have to do the whole chapter again. Pretty shitty, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to get to the end of chapter 4 and die just to have to do it all over again.

Edit: The lack of drop-in really does hurt the experience, yeah. So bizarre to me that they've clearly built the game to be so co-op focused and they didn't even include it.

quickwhips

Ok I got lost planet playing coop with my brother we both really like it. I tried to do the basic training just now what the fuck am I suppose to be doing lol. I hit the ball and started running on the first one some how after a point a i hit a check point so I was like cool and kept running. Then I hit another one then I ran to the end of the first one and I see a ball. I jumped on the ball and it said I failed? What the hell am I suppose to be doing?:lol

just got through 3-3 on single player on my second try (about 45 minutes). I got pretty lucky, only knocked off once, and the AI did OK at loading the gun, but you basically have to cool, maneuver the gun, and fire it all on your own, which can be a bit much.

Overall though even in single player I think the game is cool, it's got a bit of a different feel than most third person games, which is fun. Looks amazing too.

Wazzim

Banned
Archaix said:
I am liking the game, but it has a ton of issues. Some of them impact the ability of how much fun you can actually have with the game, like the fact that players can't jump in to a co-op mission in progress. This means you have to sit waiting at the launch screen or just play with less than a full team. Or, if somebody drops out, you're just hosed and have one less player to go with. The entire online interface is horrible, actually. It's a shame because the game itself isn't bad at all, more my type of thing than fast paced FPS games too. But it is such a chore to actually get into a game.
That kind off sucks but it works the same in Monster Hunter, so I don't think I'll care that much.
What kind of missions can you play co-op? Like, only campaign missions or also some extra stuff?

I have a lot to say about this game but I'll keep it brief *sp?* for now.

It's incredible.

Late to the discussion, people complaining about 3-3? Why? 3-3 is one of my favorite missions. The way you have to coordinate teamwork and strategy to overcome some of the Category G Akrid is what sets this game apart. Seriously the most enjoyable 4-player co-op experience I've ever had on 360.

Sectus

quickwhips said:
Ok I got lost planet playing coop with my brother we both really like it. I tried to do the basic training just now what the fuck am I suppose to be doing lol. I hit the ball and started running on the first one some how after a point a i hit a check point so I was like cool and kept running. Then I hit another one then I ran to the end of the first one and I see a ball. I jumped on the ball and it said I failed? What the hell am I suppose to be doing?:lol
You need to reach the ball within the time limit. The mode should have been renamed to something else. It's not a training mode, it's similar to the obstacle courses from Bionic Commando: Rearmed, and they're extremely hard. Definitely not for a beginner.

The advanced training maps are actually better for training, but those are also generally very tough to beat.

Baloonatic said:
I'll repeat what other people have said and advise anyone who wants to play through it alone to just not bother. It's really not very fun at all and the friendly AI is some of the worst I've seen. They just stand about and refuse to defend control beacons, randomly deciding to fire every so often. The game is great with only 2 human players though.

It seems that in normal mode you just restart the mission that you're on, but in hard you have to do the whole chapter again. Pretty shitty, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to get to the end of chapter 4 and die just to have to do it all over again.

Edit: The lack of drop-in really does hurt the experience, yeah. So bizarre to me that they've clearly built the game to be so co-op focused and they didn't even include it.

I want to address these 3 points in your post.

Point one: I agree. This game is so much more fun with 3 humans. That said, I tackled some of the later missions late at night by myself. I did all of 5 by myself, and without spoiling anything, it was actually really fun, just kind of lonely :lol Bot AI is there to supply you with thermal energy, take care of some of the weaker enemies, help with support weapons (such as the shield special ability) and that's about it. They don't do much else, but it's not like AI is any good in other co-op games. Looking at you, Dom.

5 was tough solo but defeating the boss
dual category G Worms
was very satisfying
and easy once you find the PTX-40

Point 2: On this one I agree and disagree. Some of the games missions are pretty short while others are quite long. This game does not do quick checkpoints like Gears and other games with co-op. This is an interesting design choice and it has both positives and negatives. The negative is obviously, if you go through a long mission and screw up a lot you'll have to redo it. The positive though is that it increases the challenge and forces better team strategy and cooridination. Since there is a lot at stake, you cannot afford to be lazy. LP2 is not a game where you can coast through the single player mode. In this sense I like that the game doesn't hold your hand, it punishes you for screwing up.

Also lets consider the logistics of getting a quick save system in LP2. For quick saves mid stage to work, the game would have to save all thermal energy, weapons, and battle gauge at that point, otherwise if these reset after you died the game would be way too easy. You could simply go check point to check point and breeze though it. Whereas games like Halo and Gears only have to account for the gear you have, since health is automatically restored and they don't share a battle gauge/thermal energy, it's much easier to implement. An LP2 checkpoint system would have to account for exact levels of thermal energy, weapons, and battle gauge up until that point.

I'm not making excuses for the game, they could have implemented this if they really wanted to, but at the end of the day it's a minor gripe for me. Part of that is because I love challenge.

Point 3: Disagree. Drop in would never work in LP, period. The game is set up with battle gauge in mind, if people were allowed to drop in mid mission it would break the game. You would have people dropping in right at the end to waste a boss meanwhile the whole mission I was doing solo protecting the battle gauge.

The lack of a mid-stage checkpoint is a valid gripe, but when the campaign is this fantastic it's just so minor in the grand scheme of things. I will be writing up a huge review of this game, but I can say right now that never has there been a single player/coop experience on this scale, this beautiful, this varied, this exciting and this grandiose.

Because of the way missions are structured, and the fact that many are pretty short, it's best to just coordinate a team and play this game on a mission by mission basis. Don't go in worrying about whats a head concentrate on the task at hand, and you will find incredible enjoyment out of this like I have. If you have a hard mission in front of you, take this into consideration when chosing team mates from your friends list. Assign roles, such as leaders/support etc. This is what I do and man it's just, I don't have words for how much fun we have. Again, I think this is the best campaign I have ever played in a video game.

Brannon

It's freakin' amazing. Still miffed about the backseat role the Akrids have taken in this game, but the bosses more than make up for it.

One more quick post to address a couple things (and fence sitters):

The single player can be done solo, and in fact there is an advantage to going solo: you have the entire battle gauge to yourself. However, this sucks like 40% of the fun out of the experience.

For everyone else, it's simple: Play both demos available on both XBLM and PSN. If you enjoyed the boss fight against Gordant then you are in for quite a treat. He isn't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the amazing boss fights in this game. I wont' spoil anything but trust me if you liked this you will love the game.

The multiplayer demo also gives you a really nice idea of what to expect. It's funny because I bought LP2 specifically for multiplayer, I didn't give two shits about the sp campaign after the ho-hum LP1 campaign. Yet here we are 15 hours in and I haven't even scratched the surface of the online yet. I did play 3 or so player matches across a couple cool boards, my favorite so far was NEOS and the awesome gameshow board (forgot the name).

And for the PS3 users complaining about having no friends with the game/no friends with mics. Make some! I have about ten people on my list with the game so I have plenty of people to play with no matter what time I'm on, two of whom were just random dudes I ran into online and have friended. Always have 1 or 2 reliable friends play through this with you.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This game is such an amazing multiplayer experience, been playing campaign online with random people and it has been a blast. Everyone zipping around, etc.

My only complaint is that the campaign is absolute shit as a single player game. :lol

What are everyones favorite VS right now? I hear people talking about a transforming VS that forms when you combine two of them, but I have yet to see it.

For me it's probably still the PTX. When the PTX suit makes an appearance towards the end of the game it's like you've just re-united with a lost friend, as if the PTX was itself a character in the game.

2nd to the PTX would be the new GAH VSs (is it VS', VSes, VS's?). They are the small, mobile suits with the tight control and hover feature from both demos. Zipping around with them by pushing down LS and A makes them really fun to pilot and in ways tighter to control than a PTX.

Oh and there is a new VS with the prefix "GAF" :lol

Arpharmd B said:
What are everyones favorite VS right now? I hear people talking about a transforming VS that forms when you combine two of them, but I have yet to see it.

For me it's probably still the PTX. When the PTX suit makes an appearance towards the end of the game it's like you've just re-united with a lost friend, as if the PTX was itself a character in the game.

2nd to the PTX would be the new GAH VSs (is it VS', VSes, VS's?). They are the small, mobile suits with the tight control and hover feature from both demos. Zipping around with them by pushing down LS and A makes them really fun to pilot and in ways tighter to control than a PTX.

Oh and there is a new VS with the prefix "GAF" :lol

I watched two enemy VS'/'s/es combine at the end of the
space station
. I was scared.

About your other post; I'm not even sure I fully understand the checkpoint system. Do you ever have to restart the whole episode? As in, dying in 4-5 and then going all the way back to 4-1? If not, then I have no issue with it. Restarting a chapter is ok with me.

Again, no drop-in does make sense but it's just not that convenient for me as a player. I don't really know any gamers personally so I can't co-ordinate that sort of stuff. I feel weird organising games with GAF members as I don't really talk that much (I do have a PS3 headset though). I know most people seem to want to play with someone who is talkative.

Anyway, I played with someone earlier with a lego man head and a teddy bear backpack. It made the cutscenes highly enjoyable.

I only have 6-4 left. Episodes 4 and 5 were definitely the best co-op experiences I've ever had.

Llyranor

Arpharmd B said:
Late to the discussion, people complaining about 3-3? Why? 3-3 is one of my favorite missions. The way you have to coordinate teamwork and strategy to overcome some of the Category G Akrid is what sets this game apart. Seriously the most enjoyable 4-player co-op experience I've ever had on 360.
They're mostly complaining about playing it singleplayer and having to do all the tasks by themselves. I loved 3-3. Awesome teamwork mission.
Arpharmd B said:
never has there been a single player/coop experience on this scale, this beautiful, this varied, this exciting and this grandiose.
Don't disagree. Freaking love this game. Spectacular co-op. It's beating out some of my early favorites this year like Bayonetta and Mount & Blade Warband.
Baloonatic said:
I'm not even sure I fully understand the checkpoint system. Do you ever have to restart the whole episode? As in, dying in 4-5 and then going all the way back to 4-1? If not, then I have no issue with it. Restarting a chapter is ok with me.
Nope. You just restart at 4-5 (some people are annoyed because some chapters have multiple missions).

My main issue with 3-3 is the first mission. I just think it's boring. The boss fight is one of the greatest things ever. Even though you're partly separated and doing different things you still feel like you're working as one unit. I can't really think of another co-op game that does this so well.

JdFoX187

Banned
Since I can't get any of my XBL friends to buy this game, is it better to go completely alone or run with AI teammates on the first level? I get to the final mission where it wants me to destroy this factory, but I can't control all four of the generators by myself. As soon as I go to one, the assholes shut down another.

geebee

Banned
Finally finished campaign. Multiplayer is a blast as is collecting the '?' boxes. I just wish there werent so many damn Noms de Guerre since I have them turned off. :lol

Baloonatic said:
I watched two enemy VS'/'s/es combine at the end of the
space station
. I was scared.

About your other post; I'm not even sure I fully understand the checkpoint system. Do you ever have to restart the whole episode? As in, dying in 4-5 and then going all the way back to 4-1? If not, then I have no issue with it. Restarting a chapter is ok with me.

Again, no drop-in does make sense but it's just not that convenient for me as a player. I don't really know any gamers personally so I can't co-ordinate that sort of stuff. I feel weird organising games with GAF members as I don't really talk that much (I do have a PS3 headset though). I know most people seem to want to play with someone who is talkative.

Anyway, I played with someone earlier with a lego man head and a teddy bear backpack. It made the cutscenes highly enjoyable.

I only have 6-4 left. Episodes 4 and 5 were definitely the best co-op experiences I've ever had.

No chapters themselves, not the entire episode. When you die in the campaign you respawn at the posts (you already know this) but if you die too many times or your team dies and the battle gauge reaches zero, then you start at the beginning of the chapter, not the beginning of the entire episode.

The longest chapter is 6-4, and I believe it's the last Chapter (actually I'm going to go beat this right now lol). It's actually pretty easy too, but that was because I was skipping through a lot of it (you can clear parts of the stage without wiping out every part of the Over-G Akrid).

I'm going back in like 20 minutes to finish it properly (destroy every last Akrid) and (hopefully) S rank the mission.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think this will be one of the hardest Platinum or 1000 GS to get

This is like WarHawk x 100

I will try my hardest to go for it, but holy fuck some of the requirements are too f'n tedious

This stuff is like MMORPG level of achievements

Well my PSN: GraveRobberX, I have 1 week dedicated to this, Red Dead Redemption is just around the corner, so then i'll be playing light afterward

So if you want to do Single Player Campaign, all 4 difficulties, I'm willing to help, any episode, any chapter, and any area

This game is pretty bloody awesome. Just spent a few hours playing with my buddy, we quit yesterday on Episode 3-3 (I think), the one with the train and the Cat G Akrid. We just couldn't get it done, so many cheap parts of that level. Eventually bumped it down to easy to complete it.

After that though it's just been alot of fun, lots of really cool setpieces with the VS's.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow. We just got to the bit with the awesome Sand Pirate type guys, the opening cutscene for the episode was hilarious.

I picked this up yesterday and it's actually more fun than I expected. :D

The only disappointment is how it displays local co-op split screen. I don't have a small TV, but still, I had to sit pretty close to see what was going on.

Multiplayer is a blast though, it has some amazing maps.

dorkimoe

im glad they got ride of akrid hunter, that mode was so stupid. I just died alot and would still win cuz my team would kill the akrid...but i would get like jack shit for points

d0c_zaius

dorkimoe said:
im glad they got ride of akrid hunter, that mode was so stupid. I just died alot and would still win cuz my team would kill the akrid...but i would get like jack shit for points

So the mode sucked cause you died alot and didnt get points? uuuuh ok:lol

For the rest of us, it was awesome and very unique.

JdFoX187

Banned
Akrid Hunter was an awesome mode. It's sad that Capcom didn't bring it back. Oh well, perhaps they'll bring it back with an update. Just finished the first chapter of level 1. I didn't know the AI teammates' deaths didn't count against the battle gauge. It was much more fun with three AIs running around. I'm back to having fun with the game.

Played a multiplayer match tonite in the space station and thought it would be hell with the anti-gravity and Heavy Weapons, but was pretty awesome. Floating in the air and then shooting a rocket below is gratifying and so is getting in a flying VS and bombing someone relentlessly.

Also, the data post grab matches aren't too bad even in 4-player. Some posts are in tighter areas to force a confrontation. There was a post underwater and I accidentally meleed someone already activating it. He meleed me back and we both started activating. Turns out he was on the other team! I quickly stopped then rifled two times from the back.

Finished with some co-op 3-1 and 3-2 hard. Badass, as usual.

finished the campaign on hard

the last level/boss felt awful

cool looking, sure, but man was it painfully drawn out and long.

best part was watching wesker, frank west, and marcus fenix in a boat afterwards. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This game has so many things it doesn't tell you about at all. Start + back with the shield and the whole team supporting the person costs them all 2000 thermal energy and causes a HUGE laser to come out, it's extremely powerful. I also found and combined a VS to a tank and formed that one enemy you fight late in the game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I played through the campaign mode and it says I've unlocked COG characters. But, when I got to the character selection screen I don't see them listed. Any idea where I might find them?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They're in preset models. It starts you on headgear, just go up one to select the whole suit.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Papercuts said:
They're in preset models. It starts you on headgear, just go up one to select the whole suit.

Tried that, but I didn't see it. My current character is a NEVEC based character. Maybe it's selectable from one of the other characters?

Llyranor

(Early impressions here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21231290&postcount=515 )

Okay, finished the game last night. Freaking bloody awesome/epic game. Thoroughly loved it throughout. Unless something catches me by surprise by the end of the year, this is at the top of my GOTY list.

Love the unique Lost Planet mechanics/controls. Really glad Capcom stuck to its guns and retained the first game's uniqueness.

Played it on hard 2p (3p at times), no AI, difficulty was pretty fair. Not overly impossible, and most of our deaths were our own fault (or we quickly learned what not to do and adapted).

Battle gauge was overall fairly balanced re: death and respawning. We finished some missions with only 500 left (eg. dying once more = restarting the whole chapter) more often than I would have liked! Pretty tense stuff! Pretty awesome stuff.

The co-op was just phenomenal. We were both huge LP1 and co-op fans, so this struck all our cords just right. Some of them levels were just really made with co-op in mind, and coordinating tasks or battles was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the level design and variety as well. It was a good balance between open levels and more linear ones.

Level synopsis
Episode 1
was a good introduction. Start off in the jungle, assaulting an enemy base. Defending the 4 data posts with just the 2 of us was a good fun challenge. Some of the multi-VS battles were great, too. The first boss (a variation of the lvl 5 boss in LP1) was pretty cool. Took us a few tries to beat it; dodging those claw swipes and icicles was nasty! The second (demo) boss was great, but we already knew what to expect. Getting eaten and pooped out doesn't get old, though!

Episode 2
was nice. Sneaking into the enemy base, playing around with conveyor belts. The Pulverizer is your friend! The Press is your friend! This is not always true: the Pulverizer is not always your friend haha :( In any case, the multi-VS battles were also the highlights of the episode. Though, the last boss was the best part. Giant agile space Akrid is just as fun to fight as it sounds! This is a battle where you really had to be cautious, as the enemy could hit you if you were careless from anywhere on the map. Taking it down was pretty satisfyi....... OH CRAP IT'S NOT DEAD YET! Beating its second wind with minimal B.Gauge was extremely tense, hehehe.

Episode 3
was awesome. 3-1 was a good intro to the Cat G Akrid. 3-2 was a very fun and short level where we were fending off snipers in a small village. And then fighting off 2 new Akrids. Great, let's just take the higher ground on top of those buildings and shoot th..... OH CRAP THEY JUST CHARGED AND BROUGHT DOWN ALL THE BUILDINGS. Those were some cool battles. 3-3 was awesome, though the early part started off slow. Commandeering the railgun train was fun, but using the railgun train against a freaking huge Akrid was where the real fun was. Really enjoyed having to coordinate all the tasks required to operate the railgun. Loading in shells (manually or via the crane, depending on the railgun position), energizing the shells, SHOOTING THE SHELLS VIA A HUGE RAILGUN ON A TRAIN AT A GIANT AKRID, helping turn the gun via side-thrusters, cooling it down in the control room and recharging up your T-Eng, scouting for the enemy's movements via heli-VS, manning the side turrets. Incredibly epic stuff.

Episode 4
was awesome, and longer than the previous ones. Breaking out of the prison with only pistols, then commandeering a submarine. The nighttime beach assault oozed of atmosphere. It becomes especially more awesome when we started wrecking havoc with each our own VS. Do we use the one that can turn into a drill, or the agile one that can fly around pretty fast, or the multi-VS that can seat 3 players? Or all 3 of them? Fighting the Akrid/VS hybrids was great. The Rolly McRoll-a-lots with turrets attached were nice, but the big ones shooting homing lasers at us were pretty tough! Those took out a few of our VS, too! Fighting the experimental VS that could hover around was a lot of fun. I want one! We all wanted one! But wait, episode's not over. Time to bring some VS underwater! Jolly crap, is that a squid Akrid? JOLLY CRAP IS THAT A SEA SERPENT AKRID? Wait.... wait. Is that the experimental VS that we just fought? Ours for the taking? Underwater? Sweet! We then got back on dry ground by boarding some sort of facility. That's where we snatched up a VS with a lightsaber! A freaking lightsaber! (which you could detach and use on foot as well!) The final boss was pretty awesome! Fighting Giant submarine VS on a huge vertical map. Swimming around (or use the wind currents to fly up), dodging its various torpedoes, blasting it with rockets, hanging on top of it and filling it with shotgun shells. A whole freaking lot of fun.

Episode 5
was hilarious. Best faction by far! Assaulting and boarding a huge huge vehicle with small hovercraft was insane! So we captured it, fended off enemy counterattacks (which were awesome! Go away, helis!). Wait a minute.... this thing has a giant freaking gun on it. Isn't anyone going to use it? Co-op buddy quickly runs onboard the cannon. Whoa whoa whoa, quickly turn that thing around, because there's a freaking Cat G Akrid on the back of the vehicle! That was good fun. Hey, enemy is back with the same vehicle trying to retake ours. Don't they get tired of losing? Hey, my turn on the cannon! Chhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarge, shooooooot! So fun. Then we board theirs, and it self-destructs, oops! What's this about an Over G Akrid? What are we going to do? Isn't it obvious? Hehehehehe. I love these guys.

Episode 6
Take-off into space! Shuttle splits off and we get blown off into space, nooooooo! Oh hey, jetpacks! Flying around is pretty fun! We attack the enemy space station, but not before being shown the huge freaking cannon on board the station. We fight our way in what seems to be some vertical facility. The middle lights up and some huge beam flies through. What the crap is that? Hold on, WE'RE INSIDE THE FREAKING CANNON! Jolly crap, they're sending experimental hovercraft VS against us, but we're just on foot! Really fun battles, those. We then find some of the awesome VS that were used in LP1 against Green Eye. Cue awesome VS battles. DID THOSE TWO VS MERGE TOGETHER TO FORM A GIANT MEGAZORD??? And then it's blast-off into space! Flying around in awesome VS listening to awesome music. We land in a snowstorm, all separated, regroup, then have to endure an Akrid siege. Ahhh, Akrid everywhere! Let's break out. Jolly crap, it's the giant worm Akrids from LP1 lvl 3! 2 of them! Good fight, that. And now, the final (pretty lengthy) level. This felt cheap at first, but we quickly learned to dodge the giant fireballs, and I ended up enjoying it (also upon realizing that we really didn't have to kill everything). Final boss looked fancy, but was actually pretty easy. The game was pretty overt about having to use a GPS, but not clear on how to use them. But, we ultimated managed it. Hold on, is that the space station crashing down on us? GET OUT OF HERE! But, I'm on the other side from the exit! Ruuun (only 500 B.Gauge left, can't die!!!!). Hehehehehe, finish the game, cue credits!
What an awesome experience. Love this game to bits. Possibly my favorite co-op game ever.

10/10?????? Bububububut no game is perfect. 5/10!

If you are a LP1 *and* co-op fan, this will be one of your favorite games ever. If you are a LP1 fan but can't play LP2 in co-op, I can attest to the campaign being awesome, and I enjoyed it more than the first (which I loved). However, some (*some*, not most) of the missions might potentially be frustrating without at least one co-op buddy (only a few come to mind). I can't attest for the AI, since I didn't play with any. If you are a co-op fan but have no specific allegiance to LP1, try the campaign demo; if you can enjoy the controls/gameplay, I wholeheartedly recommend you the game as a co-op fan. If you hate the LP1 controls/gameplay, this is pretty much the same.

Bring on Extreme difficulty!

Arpharmd B said:
That the one you fight Green Eye with in LP1? My favorite one as well.

-------

Also, for those of you with the 360 version but who aren't able to get the full experience for lack of reliable co-op buddies, feel free to add me. I am unlikely to refuse a LP2 invitation if I'm available. You'll have to invite me to the game, though, as I probably won't go about inviting randomly from my friendslist.

I picked up an import copy the other day instead of waiting on the japanese release. Seems pretty fun but I need people to play with online. I plan to do the same with this as I did with RE5 and not touch single player a single time :)

PSN: budokaininja

Top Bottom