• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

N30RYU

2gws7k0.jpg

aov036.jpg

e1cis9.jpg

jtvxqv.jpg

20tp1c6.jpg

j0ldw2.jpg

Sad part is from what I've seen of the game the Helghast is currently the best character design in LP2.

Shame they're bald as all fuck. Ughhhhhh

Just as a side note, I don't think it's a really big deal, but you think Capcom would have learned from the RE5 controversy when constructing Episode 5. It's got cringeworthy dialogue that's annoyingly reminiscent of the stupid twins from Transformers 2 and other such embarrassing stereotypes.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So none of my friends want to buy the game or even try it out...who knew Lost Planet was such an unpopular franchise? :lol

If anyone wants to play the campaign- PSN ID: IPoopyStandingUp

Zozobra

BudokaiMR2 said:
I picked up an import copy the other day instead of waiting on the japanese release. Seems pretty fun but I need people to play with online. I plan to do the same with this as I did with RE5 and not touch single player a single time :)

PSN: budokaininja

Saint Francis said:
I'm a veteran of LP1 . Add me!
psn: konopko

IPoopStandingUp said:
So none of my friends want to buy the game or even try it out...who knew Lost Planet was such an unpopular franchise? :lol

If anyone wants to play the campaign- PSN ID: IPoopyStandingUp

Adding all of you guys :D PSN = Jucifer

Llyranor said:
10/10?????? Bububububut no game is perfect. 5/10!

If you are a LP1 *and* co-op fan, this will be one of your favorite games ever. If you are a LP1 fan but can't play LP2 in co-op, I can attest to the campaign being awesome, and I enjoyed it more than the first (which I loved). However, some (*some*, not most) of the missions might potentially be frustrating without at least one co-op buddy (only a few come to mind). I can't attest for the AI, since I didn't play with any. If you are a co-op fan but have no specific allegiance to LP1, try the campaign demo; if you can enjoy the controls/gameplay, I wholeheartedly recommend you the game as a co-op fan. If you hate the LP1 controls/gameplay, this is pretty much the same.

Bring on Extreme difficulty!

That the one you fight Green Eye with in LP1? My favorite one as well.

-------

Also, for those of you with the 360 version but who aren't able to get the full experience for lack of reliable co-op buddies, feel free to add me. I am unlikely to refuse a LP2 invitation if I'm available. You'll have to invite me to the game, though, as I probably won't go about inviting randomly from my friendslist.

You still on my list mate?

Anyways I give the game a 9/10 or 4.5 stars. I guess it's just too different for the mainstream Western audiences/"journalists". Oh well, their loss.

Just finished the campaign, the last "boss" was ludicrously long but fairly epic. Overall I think it's an awesome game, has alot of flaws and can be cheap as hell which doesn't go well with the lack of checkpointing during chapters but when it comes down to it it's still fun.

Just played through the first episode with a bunch of randoms with my new Wesker skin, pretty hilarious seeing him in the cutscenes.

If anyone is on the fence about this I'd say if you can get a buddy or two to grab it and only play co-op you'll have a blast. Just be aware that it will occasionally frustrate you but it's more than worth putting up with.

zlatko

Banned
So um I have a major complaint/issue.

I'm on mission 4-5 or 4-4, not sure. Either way, I wanted to land my helicopter VS, and in doing so it got stuck on air. Now I can't move it---I can't get out of it, and there's no enemies to blow me up. I have over 7000 T-ENG so it'd take well over an hour or two for it to deplete for the VS to kick me out.

Is there anyway to suicide in case you get stuck so I can NOT have to repeat 40+ minutes of work? :/

Edit: That alone makes any praise I had for this game go down the window----this kinda crap should NOT happen in videogames. The game gives me 20843082309 button combos to do pointless taunts, but not ONE to auto suicide in case you get stuck. Fucking brilliant.

Not sure if old. But you can get unlimited slot machine rolls! Basically I used up all my points on the slot machine and got pure crap I got pissed and and tried quitting out to the XMB without backing out of the slot machine screen. When I came back on the game I had all my points back and tried again to hopefully get better prizes.

Rented the PS3 version. Finished the prologue and started chapter 1. 10 seconds in the xmb screen pops up with an error. Back to the main menu and have to start over. So I start chapter 1 and complete the first two missions. Upon starting mission 3 the error screen pops back up. Back to the main menu and have to start over from the beginning. And like that, fuck this shit I'm done. I'm not playing a game where I can lose 50 minutes progress because the game demands an internet connection.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Rented the PS3 version. Finished the prologue and started chapter 1. 10 seconds in the xmb screen pops up with an error. Back to the main menu and have to start over. So I start chapter 1 and complete the first two missions. Upon starting mission 3 the error screen pops back up. Back to the main menu and have to start over from the beginning. And like that, fuck this shit I'm done. I'm not playing a game where I can lose 50 minutes progress because the game demands an internet connection.

If you're playing on your own you can just set your connection type to offline.

orion434

Played through the Campaign this weekend, pretty cool altogether. Been farming Credits on 5-3 on easy I've gotten my time down to 11:30. Playing solo, you can't just leave your ship and hope that the 2 guarding it will actually kill the enemies. Once I went back and I looked in and the two AI were literally watching the enemy raise the post!!! I was like WFT!!! Shoot them!!! This game will take awhile to get a 1000/1000 I got 2 factions to lv 30 and Equipping "Superstar" Ability on 5-3 is really good. I mean once you do the mission enough you don't need the radar and 3X EXP is well worth it. I got lucky with the Slot Machine and got Superstar & Handcannon :D

Episode 6 is so cool up to the 6-4, which I think is pretty boring. The space station part is tons of fun. I think it's hilariously bizarre that they require finding the alternate exit in Episode 1 to get the Complete all Chapters achievement, people are going to be so confused by that.

I really like that some of the chapters are different if you're playing co-op. Although I wish the game had indicated that was the case cause when I first played with my friend I was so confused when he was describing some crazy Akrid attack that I wasn't seeing. :lol

It wasn't until the prison break out scene that we realised what had happened earlier in the game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
While playing 3-3 I realized I'm in love with the game.

My team loading and maintaining the rail gun while I pilot a chopper, buzzing around this giant boss. I wish more games had moments like this.

Coxswain

Finished the game last night (on Hard, with one friend, and rotating randoms for most of the game). This is, hands-down, the best co-op game I've ever played. It's not even a contest. It does all the stuff you always wish games would do in co-op - make use of splitting the team up to accomplish different goals, have stages with a large variety of tasks that need to be managed by multiple players, etc - but never end up actually making it into the game, either because the main focus is on being a singleplayer game and the co-op is an afterthought, or because it ends up like Left 4 Dead where the playtesters complain that everything interesting is frustrating and what's left is just walking through a single-path level killing things.

I love that there's customization of your character, not just visually (at least, after you beat the game and can bring your custom dude in) but mechanically, between picking your Abilities and each of 10 different classes of equipment - and more importantly, that the mechanical customization isn't just vertical, RPG progression. Bringing a Gun Sword and a Shotgun II doesn't make your character stronger than the guy with the default set, but you'll both provide different assets to the team. Again, I'm really reminded of the old 4-player arcade beat-em-ups, where yeah, each character was a little different, but not enough to supercede that most of the game depended on movement and just a couple general attack buttons.

Honestly, the closest I can come to a serious complaint about it barely registers as a complaint at all: it's not repetitive enough. The game gives you so many toys to play with, and so many different styles of combat that it seems like you barely have time to use them before you've moved on to the next thing. (Putting spoiler tags here so I don't ruin anybody's surprise; not plot-related or anything:)
Wide-open assaults on fortified Jungle Pirate bases? Awesome, but after episode 1 you won't see anything quite like it again. The cramped hall-and-corridor stages from episode 2, the railway cannon in episode 3, ditto. In episode 4 not only are there several varieties of VS that you're not likely to see in more than one place in the campaign, but it's also your only exposure to both the underwater Akrid and the ones that have been fused with machines. Then episode 6 comes along, and you get to be in space with a jetpack, but for less than half an hour. Then you finally get the Hardballer, and yet you've got to abandon that too after just a few minutes.
It's not that the campaign is short, and the pacing was good too, but they still could have probably made the campaign half again as long as it is now without even beginning to have things stretch thin.

Still, Lost Planet 2 just leapfrogged right the fuck over every other game I've played this year - and this is a year with Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, and Monster Hunter 3.

3-3 is really annoying if the guy in the cannon keeps trying to slowly inch it to the other side. You can turn it 90 degrees either direction using the control panels!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Baloonatic said:
3-3 is really annoying if the guy in the cannon keeps trying to slowly inch it to the other side. You can turn it 90 degrees either direction using the control panels!

TEH FUCK?

Tell me how to activate this fucking magic, LIKE NOW.

McBradders said:
TEH FUCK?

Tell me how to activate this fucking magic, LIKE NOW.

:lol There are control panels on either side of the cannon, near the gunner seat. I don't think it works if the person controlling the cannon is already trying to turn it.

It can still be tough to do it in time but it's at least quicker than moving it manually.

What makes 3-3 so bloody frustrating is you spend the (far too long) first section of it taking out turrets and stuff only for them to be magically functioning when you get on the train. If that alone was changed it would be far less annoying and rage inducing.

randomlyrossy said:
What makes 3-3 so bloody frustrating is you spend the (far too long) first section of it taking out turrets and stuff only for them to be magically functioning when you get on the train. If that alone was changed it would be far less annoying and rage inducing.

Yeah, the first part of 3-3 is pretty tedious. You can take out the turrets in the second part from a distance with the VS or disc grenades.

Also, this game has possibly the most brilliant and varied selection of weapons ever. I was playing with someone earlier who had some sort of portable stealth generator.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Baloonatic said:
:lol There are control panels on either side of the cannon, near the gunner seat. I don't think it works if the person controlling the cannon is already trying to turn it.

It can still be tough to do it in time but it's at least quicker than moving it manually.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

Last night it was all

"Dude, load me some fucking BULLETS!"

"You need to straighten the gun."

*turnturnturnturnturnturnturn*

"LOAD IT!"

"Done..."

*turnturnturnturnturnturnturn*

"OH GOD I'M ON FIRE!"

*coolcoolcoolcoolcool*

"I AM OUT OF BULLETS!"

etc.

This game is really fun, i finished the campaign yesterday. I think it is impossible to do certain parts with the AI teammates, they are really stupid. I played the majority of hte game with 2-4 real people so it was good. I can't understand the low review scores, 5-7's, unless they were playing the campaign with AI bots the whole time. I'd definitely give this game an 8-9, it's been really fun, one of the only games i've actually played through to the end recently.

I had no idea you could combine the mech suits, that's badass. I'll be trying this when I get home tonight.

JonnyKtyler on PSN if anyone wants to add.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
randomlyrossy said:

The worst part about it for me was that the only way I could make it through the first two sections was with AI teammates. With actual people, there were far too many falling off the cars deaths and the battle gauge was gone. But in the final section, I can't imagine making it through with AI. They kind of just wandered around my general vicinity as opposed to going to clean the akrid off the gun. Maddening.

as a fan of the first LP i really want to like this game but there are some horrible design choices that are just too stupid for me to overlook.

the two biggest ones i can think of right now are the horrific checkpoints (4-4 i'm lookin' at you!) and the inability to kick retards out of your lobby in campaign.

TeTr1C

Completed on Normal.

I don't see many people raving about 6-4, but that was probably the most over the top, most ridiculously intense level I've ever played before. :lol :lol We got to the end and failed, but doing all of that over again was fun anyways. We did it in shorter time, received more GJ awards, and found stuff we didn't the first time through.

GREAT fucking game. A bit infuriating at times with the AI being cheap assholes, but all around FUN. I wish they would've made more missions in the jungle area.

So, if Normal pissed me off at times, is Hard gonna make me rage quit?

Also, which chapter in Ep 1 has the alternate end route. I didn't get the All Chapter Completed trophy or whatever it is, which is probably why I didn't unlock any characters, right?

four competent players should be able to complete hard without much struggle. the problem (for me, at least) is finding able teammates.

i'm only up to 4-4 on hard and it can be time consuming and really frustrating if you roll with shitty teammates.

having to redo 40mins of work because one dude you can't kick thinks he's rambo sucks arse.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Yeah, this is something special. Thanks, Coxswain, for the eloquent breakdown of its Capcom arcade heritage that sold me on it.

It was only afterwards that I realised you had a Gunvalkyrie avatar. THAT FIGURES.

TeTr1C

Not enough people are playing the multiplayer. It's sad to go to player matches, searching Any for every filter, and see 2 games adding up to 6 people playing.

I search for Post Grab games a lot but end up hosting most of the time. Having to wait for people isn't fun.

So I'm forced to play ranked matches, where they're all 16 player matches and it's just too much. It seems all everyone ever wants to play is Elimination. I just played an Elimination match on Cube and it was a clusterfuck of lag, slowdown, and grenade spamming.
Also, LET ME MUTE PEOPLE WHILE IN GAME.

Sectus

Most player matches are probably full. You can keep playing in the same server in that mode so people probably stick to the same server once they've found one.

Haeleos

TeTr1C said:
Not enough people are playing the multiplayer. It's sad to go to player matches, searching Any for every filter, and see 2 games adding up to 6 people playing.

I search for Post Grab games a lot but end up hosting most of the time. Having to wait for people isn't fun.

So I'm forced to play ranked matches, where they're all 16 player matches and it's just too much. It seems all everyone ever wants to play is Elimination. I just played an Elimination match on Cube and it was a clusterfuck of lag, slowdown, and grenade spamming.
Also, LET ME MUTE PEOPLE WHILE IN GAME.

Sounds like every Capcom multiplayer game before it.

3-3 is so retarded easy if you know what to do.

Screw spoiler tags: Get two guys in the side turrets, one guy loading bullets and using the crane, another operating huge gun.

Bingo. Easiest boss fight ever.

And if you are short people, aim the gun forwards, load it with one crane bullet (they are more powerful), and simply use turrets to get him down to zero life. Then, final shot in the mouth. Boom. You win.

For added easiness if everyone mans the 4 turrets inside then you won't lose any battle gauge because you can't fly off the ship from in there. Seriously it's so freaking easy.

Top Bottom