• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 2 |OT| Rolling, Grappling, Bugs and Mechs

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick question, to get the achievements for completing the difficulties. I have to beat all the missions in each one. Or can I come in part way through and do half of a stage? Like it still gives me a rating for the chapter, but I only did 1 out of 2 parts of it?

So anyways, I'm like 2/3 done with hard, 2/3 done with normal, and half way done with easy :lol

I suppose this is as good a place as any to shout it, but I am seriously in love with the Vital Suits. I could mess about with them all day. Such functional design! If Capcom ever wanted to make a Chromehounds-esque game with the VSs, I am SO there. Between this and Front Mission Evolved, I think I'm set for mecha for a good while.

Armored Core...well, it's all gotten a bit too flashy and fast me these days. We'll see with Armored Core 5, though.

Anyway, yes. Vital Suits. Best mechs ever? Possibly.

Pylon_Trooper said:
I suppose this is as good a place as any to shout it, but I am seriously in love with the Vital Suits. I could mess about with them all day. Such functional design! If Capcom ever wanted to make a Chromehounds-esque game with the VSs, I am SO there. Between this and Front Mission Evolved, I think I'm set for mecha for a good while.

Armored Core...well, it's all gotten a bit too flashy and fast me these days. We'll see with Armored Core 5, though.

Anyway, yes. Vital Suits. Best mechs ever? Possibly.
I posted my opinion earlier in this thread: Lost Planet has the perfect mix of Thrid Person Action and mech-action. It's great to kill somebody with the machine gun and then to jump in a Vital Suit. But i'm disappointed you only find the VS at the end of every chapter and you're only to controll them for short time. Except by boss fights. In Lost Planet 1 Capcom had the perfect mix.

Hypertrooper said:
I posted my opinion earlier in this thread: Lost Planet has the perfect mix of Thrid Person Action and mech-action. It's great to kill somebody with the machine gun and then to jump in a Vital Suit. But i'm disappointed you only find the VS at the end of every chapter and you're only to controll them for short time. Except by boss fights. In Lost Planet 1 Capcom had the perfect mix.

It's true, it'd be nice to have a liiiiiitle more in the way of VS action, but for the most part, their relative scarcity makes me even more excited to jump into one.

Multiplayer though...goddamn, I LIVE in those things. The Baylids with plasma swords? Heaven!

EDIT: Just had my first multiplayer match on Neos. HOLY HELL! Could that be one of the greatest maps of this generation?! In awe, I am.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Oh my god. S-ranked 3-3 with the best pick-up team I've ever played with, got the boss kill, 4 items' worth of ? boxes, and it disconnects and I lose it all. This is living.

Sectus

shintoki said:
Quick question, to get the achievements for completing the difficulties. I have to beat all the missions in each one. Or can I come in part way through and do half of a stage? Like it still gives me a rating for the chapter, but I only did 1 out of 2 parts of it?

So anyways, I'm like 2/3 done with hard, 2/3 done with normal, and half way done with easy :lol
Every area needs to have a ranking in order to get the achievement. You can check what you're missing by going through career statistics.

dorkimoe

games on sale for 39.99 at kmart, i think im gonna pick it up. I dont have people to play with but hopefully multiplayer is still good

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dorkimoe said:
games on sale for 39.99 at kmart, i think im gonna pick it up. I dont have people to play with but hopefully multiplayer is still good

Apparently the deal is dead? $36 for me wouldn't be a bad deal for LP2. I'd buy it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
dorkimoe said:
Yes, it is amazing. I love coop! Just finished clearing all of Hard. Such a fucking blast. This game was made for the hardcore fans of Lost Planet. While most games try to bring in new players, they said fuck it and gave in to the hardcore ones. :lol

I do have a few complaints, but that is more about structure than quality.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
The one thing I don't like about the game is how it handles custom searching whether you're in campaign or in online mode. I'd rather have players from my country pop up first, and then sort the ones who are on standby to move to the top of the list. It doesn't make sense for me in Japan to scroll down the entire list of players to find the Japanese players (who will have the least amount of lag with me) because the UK/US/other players are at the top of the list. And just like vanilla Street Fighter 4, quick match should just put you in a match, not... give you a list of all available matches that custom search would have done.:lol

Another sterling few rounds of multiplayer! Addicted! Some great maps, really intricate stuff. I've gotten hooked so much so that the campaign hasn't been touched for a few days. Might save it for some dedicated co-op.

GAF too busy crushing mushrooms to dodge getting crushed by bugs?! The world needs more balance.

Pete Rock

I really do want to buy this for all its quirky Japanese weirdness, but I can't bring myself to do it until they drop a Colonies Edition. No Akrid hunter or VS Annihilator is pretty disappointing, as those were the only populated lobbies when I played, and they were certainly uniquely enjoyable on an interesting scale. I'd also have to convince three other buddies to pick it up, which will not be easy :lol

WaltJay

McBradders said:
Aye. Chapter 6 is weak as shit.

The rest is good to godly, though.

That was my major disappointment with the SP campaign. After epic boss battles (
the ship vs. the Akrid and the ship vs ship were my favorite two
), the last boss was a huge letdown. In fact, even the mini-boss fight before it was more interesting.

Speaking of that,
was I the only one that didn't notice the VS buried in the snow? It was taking me forever to beat the Akrid (the two worms coming in and out of the ground), then I noticed a giant snow pile. After I start digging, what do I find? A VS! The boss died quickly thereafter. :)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This game would be perfect if it allowed jumping into an online game already in progress.

In its current form waiting for a team to hit the end of an area so you can join, hoping they don't all quit, is such a hassle.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Another sterling few rounds of multiplayer! Addicted! Some great maps, really intricate stuff. I've gotten hooked so much so that the campaign hasn't been touched for a few days. Might save it for some dedicated co-op.

GAF too busy crushing mushrooms to dodge getting crushed by bugs?! The world needs more balance.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've been jumping from SP to MP since I got the game but just finished chapter 5 so once I'm done with SP I imagine LP2 will be installed to my HDD for months to come so I can get as much MP in as possible :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Pylon_Trooper said:

If you unlocked Extreme and on 360. And as long as you don't suck. I'd love to do 3-3 and all of 4. Nothing worse on 3-3 then some idiot with the main cannon...WHO DOESN'T FUCKING TURN IT AROUND FOR THE ONE MORE HIT. Spend 25minutes getting the boss there only to fail.

I don't understand why idiots have to fuck around with the cannon. One person is enough(Maybe some help getting the shells above). Honestly it's better having most of the team in the middle on the two turrets for each side. And just wear it down long and slow. You can't fucking die then unless your an idiot.

Zozobra

Just finished my first playthrough last night, the missions were great the whole way, not one bad one out of the whole bunch imo.

In regards to 3-3 are you guys sure you actually have to hit the Akrid with the train-cannon, or is that just to achieve a certain GJ award? I've played through that mission several times with friends of mine and I'm 99.9% sure we only used the turrets inside the train to kill it.

Unlocked Extreme Mode and the Campaign is even crazier. Had no idea this game had so many easter eggs.

Was able to play the alternate prologue introduction scenario where you shoot Akrids from the helicopter that picks you up in the intro snow level.

Also, in level 1-2 there is an entire hidden passage at the start that leads you into a brand new mission - a narrow chasm battle with soldiers and mechs. The lake Akrid is difficult as hell, very little weapons and never collapses.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Zozobra said:
In regards to 3-3 are you guys sure you actually have to hit the Akrid with the train-cannon, or is that just to achieve a certain GJ award? I've played through that mission several times with friends of mine and I'm 99.9% sure we only used the turrets inside the train to kill it.
On Extreme, I don't know yet. I mean up till the final charge. Absolutely. The cannon is just a hazard for idiots(Fantastic if you have someone who knows when to move and how to position it). But you got about 20 seconds to kill him before he devours the train when he does his final attack on you. I could see it possible if all your team is ready to hammer down on him right then, but having only two others. And one idiot is dancing on top of the cannon trying desperately to figure out what to do with 0 T Eng. The one shot with the cannon seems required.

McBradders said:
Aye. Chapter 6 is weak as shit.

The rest is good to godly, though.
You know, if they just let you go inside the Over G. Like right after the Satellite pounds down on it with the lazer. Gave you some mechs and let us get in a real boss battle. All would have been redeemed.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've been jumping from SP to MP since I got the game but just finished chapter 5 so once I'm done with SP I imagine LP2 will be installed to my HDD for months to come so I can get as much MP in as possible :)

Well, it's just the intricate nature of the LP multiplayer combat options that do it for me. Awesome machines, those crazy launch-pads, huge weapons, complex map designs. All solid gold.

Being a machine fetishist, I'm going right ahead and saying the Vital Suits are the best damn mecha designs ever. Brilliant utilitarian functionality, brilliant sense of weight and brilliant variations. Capcom, ten out of ten and a koala stamp for you.

Just spent 2 hours going through episode 6 from start to finish and have finally wrapped up SP. Absolutely loved it throughout, even more I think, than the first game. Definitely on my GOTY list at the minute and I imagine it will still be by the end of the year :)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Price Drop said:
Also, in level 1-2 there is an entire hidden passage at the start that leads you into a brand new mission - a narrow chasm battle with soldiers and mechs. The lake Akrid is difficult as hell, very little weapons and never collapses.
The best part about the 1-2 alt. path is that you can grab two mechs right before the Akrid boss fight thus making it incredibly easy. (able to beat it in 30 seconds on normal)

AgentOtaku said:
Gonna give 3-3 another go tonight with Hypertrooper ...wish me luck!
Yeah. But we can do it.

I played a multiplayer match today. I sucked. But the map looked amazing. We need to organize a GAF Private Match night.

IPoopStandingUp said:
The best part about the 1-2 alt. path is that you can grab two mechs right before the Akrid boss fight thus making it incredibly easy. (able to beat it in 30 seconds on normal)

Have to try that. Me and few co-op players were able to muster through the lake Akrid after several tries. In Extreme that beast just doesn't stop moving. Can't wait for 3-3 Extreme!

Zozobra

I wish there was an easier way to see what people on your friends list are doing, like what mission, how many people currently in the party, etc. I always see Gaf'ers playing, but it's such a hassle to message people just to find out their group is full or whatever. And the last thing I usually want to do mid-mission is go into the XMB to type out a response.

For the record, for any PS3 players who have me (Jucifer) on their list, I'm always down for campaign co-op

1-2 boss Extreme strategy:

Go though the first section and get data posts/weapons, head back through level and use alt route to get more data posts/weapons.

Big VS user stay on far right cliff and attack head.
Small VS user stay on center platform and attack head.
Foot soldiers attack arms from left platforms with gatling guns/rockets.

Soldiers attack arms evenly, and break both simultanously. VSs attack downed head with VS rockes/gatling gun.

Since everyone's up high, you just jump when he rears back for the ice blocks. Easy peezy.

Coxswain

Honestly, even on Extreme the 1-2 boss won't even get a chance to attack if you use the alternate-route VS properly. Load it up with a Gatling Gun on one arm, and the Shotgun on the other. Use the Gatling Gun to take out the small arms on one side to bring him down, then walk up to his head and just unload point-blank into the weak point on its head. It'll be dead in about a minute, and stunlocked the entire time. Everybody else can just kind of sit around and circle jerk. There must be an emote for that.

Got past 3-3 (in the end, we didn't even really bother with the cannon, we just brute forced it/kept repairing the train) and actually went all the way to Ep.5

2 Hours just flew by! :D

Lucentto

Banned
I wish more people played Player matches, I played on some layouts of levels I never thought existed. For instance, I played on the Friction map with all the machinery and lights turned off, it was tense and so fun. I think on Ranked you can only play on two different layouts of the maps I noticed. I also wish the Gun Sword was more useful online, its fun to use. Its just that due to the weird lag with the game online, it looks like i'm hitting the guy, but in reality i'm not. Oh well, i'm still enjoying myself but I honestly liked the LP1 MP better for some reasons.

Lucentto said:
I wish more people played Player matches, I played on some layouts of levels I never thought existed. For instance, I played on the Friction map with all the machinery and lights turned off, it was tense and so fun. I think on Ranked you can only play on two different layouts of the maps I noticed. I also wish the Gun Sword was more useful online, its fun to use. Its just that due to the weird lag with the game online, it looks like i'm hitting the guy, but in reality i'm not. Oh well, i'm still enjoying myself but I honestly liked the LP1 MP better for some reasons.
I never found the Gun Sword in the SP. Is it MP only?

I love the campaign. The story is amazing(COME ON:
SPACE AKRIDS! SPACE STATION WOOOHOO! CLONES!
. Its so japanese :D The cinematic are amazing. The only thing that disappoint me is that the level arent so big like LP1. I think everyone can agree with this point.

Cant wait to finish the campaign this week :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Price Drop said:
Have to try that. Me and few co-op players were able to muster through the lake Akrid after several tries. In Extreme that beast just doesn't stop moving. Can't wait for 3-3 Extreme!
3-3 is no different on extreme for the most part. Other than you only have 1000gp to start. Nothing can really one shot you on the level except for a headshot sniper. So outside of the occasional bad luck death, if you are dying. You are failing. :lol It's not really different than normal or even easy.

There is still one massive fault rubbing me the wrong way. No Akrid Hunter mode. I do like competitive play... but Akrid Hunter mode was just above everything else. It's making my experience feel less than Colonies, but the coop is still amazing. I love just hoping into an extreme game for a round or two. Trying get in as much as I can before classes start in a week.

I also fail at merging VSs

Okay. I just played Multiplayer for the first time, thinking hey, this will be a fun time, hoping for normal matchmaking.

First of all - I can't Party up with anyone and bring them into a lobby, we all have to FIND the same lobby and join at the same time, unless I want to risk waiting for them to receive my invite... Seriously lame.

Second-of-ly - We played some match type where each side had 20,000 battle gauge. I thought "Hmm, okay, this should be a 10 minute match", thinking each side had 20,000 worth of lives to live (i.e. first team to get 40 deaths). Holy hell was I wrong. It's a tug of war and lives/data posts are the thing we fight over.

Literally 30 minutes later my friends quit out of the match, and I stay in it thinking it's almost over. 15 minutes later, the match ends (painstakingly so) and I'm ready to rake in my sweet, sweet points.

Screen fades.... "NEXT MATCH" 'OH F@#$ YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, ANOTHER MATCH?!'. I rage quit... An HOUR PLUS just for 1 game?!?! Terrible design IMO. I got no points.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
AgentOtaku said:
I wonder how possible would it be to do SP by just yourself ...like not even AI partners

On easy? Super do-able. I even did the last two chapters of the campaign solo on normal because I couldn't be arsed waiting for my friend to join me and I wanted to start levelling my custom character.

Pete Rock

Major Williams said:
I rage quit... An HOUR PLUS just for 1 game?!?! Terrible design IMO. I got no points.
Yep, they stated inspiration from Halo & COD but they must not have meant the actual matchmaking systems. Colonies had the same bizarre B-net style lobby listing/filtering, and the first sign of that jacked up UI in the multiplayer demo was enough to send me screaming. Not in 2010, no way :lol

Yep

I'm sorry but I can't defend the Slot machine ....I just can't. Capcom fucked that one up pretty badly and I imagine it will only turn people off =(

I think a lot of people would be less frustrated if they made some simple changes. They added all the content in the world, but didn't fix things people didn't like.

• Less recovery when jumping
  • Default controls to B-4
  • Less stun when hit by bullets on foot
  • GRAPPLE ON TO LADDERS
  • Swap weapons without stopping

For LP2 specifically:
  • make perks more interesting/useful
  • SHOW STATS FOR EVERYTHING
  • Show off VSs more, no combining mechs in campaign?

Major Williams said:
Okay. I just played Multiplayer for the first time, thinking hey, this will be a fun time, hoping for normal matchmaking.

First of all - I can't Party up with anyone and bring them into a lobby, we all have to FIND the same lobby and join at the same time, unless I want to risk waiting for them to receive my invite... Seriously lame.

Second-of-ly - We played some match type where each side had 20,000 battle gauge. I thought "Hmm, okay, this should be a 10 minute match", thinking each side had 20,000 worth of lives to live (i.e. first team to get 40 deaths). Holy hell was I wrong. It's a tug of war and lives/data posts are the thing we fight over.

Literally 30 minutes later my friends quit out of the match, and I stay in it thinking it's almost over. 15 minutes later, the match ends (painstakingly so) and I'm ready to rake in my sweet, sweet points.

Screen fades.... "NEXT MATCH" 'OH F@#$ YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, ANOTHER MATCH?!'. I rage quit... An HOUR PLUS just for 1 game?!?! Terrible design IMO. I got no points.

Blame the idiot who set 30 minute timer.

You gotta watch out for that stuff.

Hour long matches can be fun, but not with 2 people on a monsterously large map.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
God's Beard said:
[*]Show off VSs more, no combining mechs in campaign?
[/LIST]
4-3 has one. You have to get the flying one in area one, then combine it with the tank in the corner for area two. You can use it on the 2nd Super Akrid

SreyB

Major Williams said:
Did anyone find Slot machine codes? Do they unlock anything cool?

4Gamer.net Shirt: 25060016
Famitsu Weekly Magazine T-Shirt: 73154986
Famitsu.com Shirt: 88020223
Midnight Live 360 Shirt: 69088873
Pink JP playboy shirt: 34297758
Xbox 360 shirt (male and female): 94372143
Yellow Shirt: 96725729

Yay - T-shirts! (stolen from gamefaqs)

Major Williams said:
Did anyone find Slot machine codes? Do they unlock anything cool?

My theory is that the codes are there to protect you from unwanted junk/advertising.

So far the only thing unlocked are Famitsu shirts and a News 4 Gamers shirt.

Thanks guys, I'll have to see which ones I like best, maybe find pics online before I unlock them.

I knew about the promo items I was wondering if anyone had uncovered anything cool like weapons or random unlockables that you'd earn through the lottery.

Top Bottom