• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Love Live!) School Idol Festival |OT| the wages of idolatry

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've never actually bought an anime release by NISA before this, so I didn't know that until just now. Makes sense though, it does seem more premium just because of the box and the small book. Not sure if I've bought a release by Funimation or Sentai either, I would need to check since I mainly buy the European releases. I thought Sentai releases weren't that great though compared to Funimation?

I would assume Bushiroad paid for the promo stuff. Since the game and trading cards are their products after all, plus they would have had to print the card and paper themselves. It was added as a last minute thing if I remember correctly. Either that or Bandai was involved and asked them or something :p

Well, on the one hand it's an ad for the game, but on the other hand, it incentivizes the BD set... so, who knows. lol

Funimation and Sentai releases are pretty barebones, although Funimation has started getting into the "physical extras" game themselves now. Bebop even has an Amazon exclusive edition.

Yaari

Yesss! Finally FC that song. And then I did 15 friend pulls, first 10 nothing, then next 5 I got 3 (Rare). And a duplicate which I can special train.

Progress :D

Himemiya

I thought that the reason we got cards and a draw added last time was because we were behind the Japanese schedule. Have we still not caught up to the original release schedule?
Still behind, still need Eli UR and Nozomi's initial UR.
And three normals.

Funimation and Sentai releases are pretty barebones, although Funimation has started getting into the "physical extras" game themselves now. Bebop even has an Amazon exclusive edition.
When Funimation did the premium thing with Psycho-Pass first it included kind of dumb things like badges and keychains, and I think a tote bag for the Kamisama Kiss set? It's cool if you're a hardcore merchandise-wearing type of fan but there's way better things to give customers if they're paying a high price. I guess from the description of the NISA sets they might be better compared to Nozomi Entertainment's premium releases. I only have 5 sets from Nozomi (which is actually just 2 shows) and they're cardboard art boxes holding super slim DVD cases (not BD) but at least the included books are quite good and have a lot of character/setting sketches, director's episode summaries, and staff interviews.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When Funimation did the premium thing with Psycho-Pass first it included kind of dumb things like badges and keychains, and I think a tote bag for the Kamisama Kiss set? It's cool if you're a hardcore merchandise-wearing type of fan but there's way better things to give customers if they're paying a high price. I guess from the description of the NISA sets they might be better compared to Nozomi Entertainment's premium releases. I only have 5 sets from Nozomi (which is actually just 2 shows) and they're cardboard art boxes holding super slim DVD cases (not BD) but at least the included books are quite good and have a lot of character/setting sketches, director's episode summaries, and staff interviews.

I'd vastly prefer licensing of original on disc special features, but it doesn't seem worth it for these companies I guess. The K-On movie BD was probably the most packed disc that I've seen in ages, but even that didn't have the commentary track.

elhaym

Thanks for this, I'll have to keep this in mind.
It looks really useful but I'm not sure if I'd rather pay for free lifetime upgrades or just upgrade to a region free BD player instead. Since I haven't got many other imported BDs at the moment, only DVDs which I can watch since my DVD player is region free. Not sure if you're allowed to say here, but which license did you buy? If there aren't that many upgrades to the software then buying this would be a lot cheaper than a new BD player.

I actually bought way back when lifetime updates were already included. It looks pretty pricey now though... Basically, the updates try to keep up with newer BDs, and honestly I feel like there's at least one update every other week or so. If you're watching on a TV, yeah, a standalone region-free/non-internet-connected player is probably a better bet.

I'd vastly prefer licensing of original on disc special features, but it doesn't seem worth it for these companies I guess. The K-On movie BD was probably the most packed disc that I've seen in ages, but even that didn't have the commentary track.

I agree with that. Love commentaries and other special features.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I agree with that. Love commentaries and other special features.

The last impressive release was the Dusk Maiden of Amnesia set, which came with the OST and had the commentary on every episode of the show.

Although, admittedly, a solo commentary can get really boring at times.

fek

This cake is great:

02KuVxN.jpg

tenton

I would comment on the quality of the anime as well, (translations/picture quality/etc), but since it is region locked, I can't actually watch it.

Computer BD-ROM drive + MakeMKV + enough hard drive space = problem solved. MakeMKV is free while it's in beta, which has been like forever. You'll need to go and get the beta key from their forums every month or so (depending on how often you rip discs).

I personally use AnyDVD HD because my old monitor isn't HDCP enabled, so I can't play the discs on my computer anyways!

Edit: I should mention for those of you that haven't noticed it, in the JP version, each one of the girls says something about Kotori's birthday. You might have to keep hitting some of the menu buttons (e.g. Home or Story) to keep resetting what they say until you get the birthday message. And of course, switch the center for your selected Main team to get each person to show up.

Himemiya

Regarding Nozomi Ent, in their Utena release each DVD had some kind of extra on it, mostly just TV spots/trailers. But there was also commentary by Ikuni on the last episode and movie, cast interviews, animated story boards, live action MV, etc scattered throughout, and also an "extras" disc. It was pretty great, I do agree that on disc extras are best. But those features were not usual for their other releases or most anime licensing companies that are out there.

I brought Nozomi up because their average premium/limited edition release is closer to NISA's biz then I think Funi is, with all the weird wallets and tote bag trinket things that are included as bonuses.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regarding Nozomi Ent, in their Utena release each DVD had some kind of extra on it, mostly just TV spots/trailers. But there was also commentary by Ikuni on the last episode and movie, cast interviews, animated story boards, live action MV, etc scattered throughout, and also an "extras" disc. It was pretty great, I do agree that on disc extras are best. But those features were not usual for their other releases or most anime licensing companies that are out there.

I brought Nozomi up because their average premium/limited edition release is closer to NISA's biz then I think Funi is, with all the weird wallets and tote bag trinket things that are included as bonuses.
Yeah, I have their Rose, Utena, and Aria sets. I think the Aria sets are my favourite.

Qurex

Neo Member
Well, on the one hand it's an ad for the game, but on the other hand, it incentivizes the BD set... so, who knows. lol

Actually when I think about it I don't think Manga UK and MVM tend to give many physical bonuses with our releases. At least not that I've noticed. I think the next one with loads of extras would be the Gurren Lagaan Ultimate Edition BDs, that seems to be the closest to the fancy editions the US gets.
Most of the time we get stuff like art cards, posters, and a fancy cardboard box. I'm pretty sure I got like a numbered art card or something with my Durarara BDs along a with a box. We don't get art books either, the only one that I think I have came in a old Gundam Wing box set. I can't actually think of anything recent with on disc extras either. Occasionally we might get a steelbook for a film or something. Normally our collector's editions are the first half of a series in a cardboard box large enough to hold the seoncd half of the series which you need to buy seperately a few months later. Either that or they tend to be DVD/BD combo packs.

We don't get retailer exclusive releases either. The only one I can think of was Blood-C: The Last Dark at HMV. That was just a BD/DVD combo with a poster.

Still behind, still need Eli UR and Nozomi's initial UR.
And three normals.
Didn't realise we were still behind on the cards. Also I've never heard of Nozomi Entertainment before.

I actually bought way back when lifetime updates were already included. It looks pretty pricey now though... Basically, the updates try to keep up with newer BDs, and honestly I feel like there's at least one update every other week or so. If you're watching on a TV, yeah, a standalone region-free/non-internet-connected player is probably a better bet.
Looks like I'll have to give it some more thought then. Well I'm not really in a hurry though. Since I tend to watch on a TV I'm leaning towards getting another BD player. I need to find a decent region free BD player and compare the prices.

Are BD-Rom drives themselves also region locked?
PC drives? Yeah I think they do have some sort of lock, not certain on this though.

Computer BD-ROM drive + MakeMKV + enough hard drive space = problem solved. MakeMKV is free while it's in beta, which has been like forever. You'll need to go and get the beta key from their forums every month or so (depending on how often you rip discs).

I personally use AnyDVD HD because my old monitor isn't HDCP enabled, so I can't play the discs on my computer anyways!
I've never heard of MakeMKV before, I'll have to take a look at this tommorow. Since you also use AnyDVD HD do you also have the lifetime update license? Is it worth the cost?

My internet connection has been terrible today, I've had trouble loading pages all night.

On topic, let's continue celebrating Kotori's birthday!
It is now officialy her birthday in the English version.

tenton

I've never heard of MakeMKV before, I'll have to take a look at this tommorow. Since you also use AnyDVD HD do you also have the lifetime update license? Is it worth the cost?

If you're going to go the AnyDVD HD route, you might as well get the lifetime updates, because the BD forum keeps updating the AACS keys and monkeying around with the copy protection. You'll need updates to combat the latest in hassling paying customers schemes.

Marche90

Free loveca!

Thank you, Kotori <3

Btw, so many gifs. I appreciate the fact that she's loved here like it should be, but it slowed Chrome on my phone to a crawl :lol

Mokoi

Banned
I found the Bluray boxes kind of flimsy since they're slimcase. The boxes are empty on the inside, no inner pictures on the reverse of the cover and nothing in the box.
The covers are simple, made from promo art I think, the back has screenshots from the anime. It does the job, could be fancier I guess.

I ended up opening the boxset up so I can get that UR Honkers. The booklet is pretty nice; however, I really hate those cheap slim cases. Also you can use MakeMKV to ripped your BDs to your computer although your going to need some space.

I used MakeMKV to watch my BDs on my pc, and I definitely need to get another hard drive. All my games take up too much space.
---

Thank you for bday loveca Burd, and I got a Honkers with it. Yay Yay!

Also surprised this picture hasn't been posted yet. You can't forget about the rest of the burds.
http://i.imgur.com/Kq0yDPe.jpg

Kazzy

I went completely cold-turkey on this game after the last event. Feels weird.

I guess it was just a case of me getting frustrated about the constraints of the F2P model. It wasn't so much in the fact that I felt as though I needed to pay to progress, because I didn't - in fact I didn't drop a single penny into this game. It was simply more a case of being starved of content. I liked the gameplay, but it gradually became a case of diminishing returns, with the rate new songs were being released.

Also, the commitment needed to earn the event cards had become a little ridiculous to me. It was pure tedium - especially if you'd been playing from the beginning and had gotten pretty good at the songs.

It was fun while it lasted *shrugs*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I went completely cold-turkey on this game after the last event. Feels weird.

I guess it was just a case of me getting frustrated about the constraints of the F2P model. It wasn't so much in the fact that I felt as though I needed to pay to progress, because I didn't - in fact I didn't drop a single penny into this game. It was simply more a case of being starved of content. I liked the gameplay, but it gradually became a case of diminishing returns, with the rate new songs were being released.

Also, the commitment needed to earn the event cards had become a little ridiculous to me. It was pure tedium - especially if you'd been playing from the beginning and had gotten pretty good at the songs.

It was fun while it lasted *shrugs*
This is why you play the Japanese version, really. But yeah, I'm at a point where I think I hit my ceiling - I don't know if I can ever improve on the "super"-EX songs, and I'm afraid to try them lest I waste LP. It's a weird conundrum anyway.

(I also just hit the limit of the new songs in the JP version, so.... maybe the boredom might set in there as well. lol)

Kazzy

This is why you play the Japanese version, really. But yeah, I'm at a point where I think I hit my ceiling - I don't know if I can ever improve on the "super"-EX songs, and I'm afraid to try them lest I waste LP. It's a weird conundrum anyway.

(I also just hit the limit of the new songs in the JP version, so.... maybe the boredom might set in there as well. lol)

It was a judgment call for me, as I would have been fine playing any. I guess the (relative) newness of the English release convinced me that I'd be on more of a level footing there.

I shudder at the prospect of downloading the Japanese version and having to start again.

Mokoi

Banned
Free loveca!

Thank you, Kotori <3

Btw, so many gifs. I appreciate the fact that she's loved here like it should be, but it slowed Chrome on my phone to a crawl :lol

That's why I disable pics/gifs on mobile.

I should of grinded more tokes. I'm 1k shy of top 200, but I'm sure those above me are stocked with tokes playing the 4x song right now.

Yaari

Played that Soldier daily song for the first time. Awesome! Never going to be able to even clear that one, what a note scheme, damn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was a judgment call for me, as I would have been fine playing any. I guess the (relative) newness of the English release convinced me that I'd be on more of a level footing there.

I shudder at the prospect of downloading the Japanese version and having to start again.
The thing is, there are new people starting all the time. The only bad thing would be the need to constantly manage your playing time because of the short LP turnaround.

PewPewK

Looks like my luck is Nico level then

I have Nozomi level luck on my JP account and Nico level luck on my EN account.

EN account, I've done maybe 5-6 11 pulls and quite a few single pulls... wasn't until rank 82 that I saw my first UR. Spent months in despair...

JPN account, first 11 pull... oh hey a UR! Wow what amazing luck on my first pull... lemme pull again... Oh hey, there were 2 URs in this one! And an SR! This is pretty easy.

Crescent-

I have Nozomi level luck on my JP account and Nico level luck on my EN account.

EN account, I've done maybe 5-6 11 pulls and quite a few single pulls... wasn't until rank 82 that I saw my first UR. Spent months in despair...

JPN account, first 11 pull... oh hey a UR! Wow what amazing luck on my first pull... lemme pull again... Oh hey, there were 2 URs in this one! And an SR! This is pretty easy.

Guess some people are just lucky like that huh, yesterday my friend single pulled for me, got 2 SRs and the last R i need to complete all idolized Rs out of 3 pulls. And he doesn't even play the game. *sigh*

So the event version that uses more event tokens? Is it better to use that (Hard ver that uses 180)? do you get the same amount in comparison or more (I did it once and got 800 something)?

Is the EX version really difficult to try?

chrono01

So the event version that uses more event tokens? Is it better to use that (Hard ver that uses 180)? do you get the same amount in comparison or more?

Is the EX version really difficult to try?
The 4x versions give you just that, 4x the amount of points but for 4x the amount of tokens used, so there's no real difference between playing the Hard version 4x and doing the 4x event song on Hard.

Actually, you get more XP per play, so if you're trying to rank up [and have the time] it might be better to go for the normal versions [and not the 4x ones]. That's what I'm doing.

As for the EX version, I can't really comment on those since I generally do it once [for the Loveca] and move on. I'm afraid of wasting tokens, so I'll take the safe route and play on Hard.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EX gets easy with practice. I think the problem is mostly just dealing with the higher speed. But obviously you don't want to practice during an event.

The 4x versions give you just that, 4x the amount of points but for 4x the amount of tokens used, so there's no real difference between playing the Hard version 4x and doing the 4x event song on Hard.

Actually, you get more XP per play, so if you're trying to rank up [and have the time] it might be better to go for the normal versions [and not the 4x ones]. That's what I'm doing.

As for the EX version, I can't really comment on those since I generally do it once [for the Loveca] and move on. I'm afraid of wasting tokens, so I'll take the safe route and play on Hard.

Oh, thanks, I could do some use of that because I didnt had time this week to play the even song and I had something like 1500 event tokens. Im really starting to hate the event song because even if I can get an SS, majority of times I fail somewhere in the middle randomly.

Crescent-

Oh, thanks, I could do some use of that because I didnt had time this week to play the even song and I had something like 1500 event tokens. Im really starting to hate the event song because even if I can get an SS, majority of times I fail somewhere in the middle randomly.

EX is more effective if you can S/S or S/A it reliably every time you play. Otherwise it's more effective to play the hard one

m0t0k1

Nozomi card at last YEAH!

Dont know if I can get to the top 1000 before the event ends. Still have 400 event tokens to play the event song.

You are probably going to need a couple of loveca stones to a secure a spot. Its almost doable to do it without stones but you will lose some sleep then :D.

Qurex

Neo Member
If you're going to go the AnyDVD HD route, you might as well get the lifetime updates, because the BD forum keeps updating the AACS keys and monkeying around with the copy protection. You'll need updates to combat the latest in hassling paying customers schemes.
Ah right, thanks for this. It sounds like it's worth the money if the BD forum keeps changing stuff all the time. I would need to get the other software if I wanted do DVDs and other stuff right?

I ended up opening the boxset up so I can get that UR Honkers. The booklet is pretty nice; however, I really hate those cheap slim cases. Also you can use MakeMKV to ripped your BDs to your computer although your going to need some space.
I used MakeMKV to watch my BDs on my pc, and I definitely need to get another hard drive. All my games take up too much space.
Another user of MakeMKV, seems like this is quite popular. It sounds like getting AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV would be a good investment. I'd need to buy some more hard drives first though.
Yeah, the slim cases always feel really cheap. I keep thinking that i might accidentally break it or snap it in half or something. Just wanted to check, I was going to sign up for minus earlier and it was telling me I needed to download a chat app about cats or something. Do I have to get that to use minus?

Also, event SR Nozomi obtained.

This is clearly a sign from the cards or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom