• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

GoXDS

Lol EU never has it good. they take forever to get games rated and released there (like SMTIV or Gunvolt among many others).

looks like Umi's gonna have it rough in the movie. also is that a NYC subway and Central Park? o_O OH! one scene has Honoka lost in the subway. that's definitely NYC.
though I don't recognize some other scenes at a quick glance

m0t0k1

meanwhile in Europe.......

tumblr_mhrq9cxAcS1s45qe5o1_500.gif

Articalys

American anime fan movie audiences for "mainstream" series are terrible anyway. The theater crowd when I went to see Kaguya was a bit better, though still annoying.

Getting the SRs is kind of a trap though, since they only become useful when you idolize them... and the chances of getting two are substantially lower, especially if you don't keep doing pulls during the same week.

It's kind of devious in a way. lol

SR are not more useful than R?

I'll be going to the LA showing. I wasn't expecting it for select US theaters, so this is a nice surprise.

Slightly salty that im@s never got that opportunity. :(

Honolulu/Waikiki better be a major city or else I will make a post containing #owl or something stupid like that

American anime fan movie audiences for "mainstream" series are terrible anyway. The theater crowd when I went to see Kaguya was a bit better, though still annoying.

Yeah, there was no way I would see this in theaters. Also there's no way we get it here in frigid ass Montana.

Reknoc

I went to see Kaguya expecting to be the oldest person there but nearly every must have had at least 15 years on me lol

Articalys

Never mind, was overanalyzing something.

How many series that have English dubs also have as heavy of a focus on insert songs as Love Live?

Hachitora

I'm containing my hype for all this Love Live international news. I've been All-capsing to my friends and on twitter/tumblr, but I think I'll try to look professional on here :p
Who wants to come to Dallas and watch with me?
If there's none in Houston, I'll come over there myself if I have to! (which, I mean, come on, we're a pretty big city. Pls LL gods, make it so!)
I figured most of y'all won't care but there's going to be a Love Live! dub.
I'm actually quite excited for this. I hope they choose good voice actresses. Maybe Christine Cabanos or Cristina Vee (Mostly cuz I'm partial to them :p)
How many series that have English dubs also have as heavy of a focus on insert songs as Love Live?
K-On. That dub turned out good. Imo at least

Himemiya

Hopefully another "major city" is Detroit. I'd definitely try to see it either way.

One thing I ask is that the theatrical release is not dubbed.

Articalys

I'm containing my hype for all this Love Live international news. I've been All-capsing to my friends and on twitter/tumblr, but I think I'll try to look professional on here :p

If there's none in Houston, I'll come over there myself if I have to! (which, I mean, come on, we're a pretty big city. Pls LL gods, make it so!)

I'm actually quite excited for this. I hope they choose good voice actresses. Maybe Christine Cabanos or Cristina Vee (Mostly cuz I'm partial to them :p)

And how did they handle the songs in that one?

CoinArt

If Austin doesn't have its own showing, I'd probably be down to see it in Dallas/wherever with other Texas folk. Hopefully at an Alamo or some other theater that imposes a sense of decorum on the audience

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live more like Love Racism.

Boycotting it from now on.

Uninstalled my game and gave my transfer code to a homeless guy telling him its worth more than spare change any day of the week.

JoeFu

Banned
If Austin doesn't have its own showing, I'd probably be down to see it in Dallas/wherever with other Texas folk. Hopefully at an Alamo or some other theater that imposes a sense of decorum on the audience

Lemme know if you have to come up to Dallas!!!!

Hachitora

English dub but they keep all the seiyuu.

edit: Holy shit, just saw the trailer. "Yes! We are school idols!" confirmed.
I think Rippi might be good at English. Though I'm just basing that on how she sings "A B C D" in Watashi no Tokei wa Gyaku Kaiten
And how did they handle the songs in that one?

They kept the original audio for most if not all the songs. I remember an English Fuwa Fuwa Time though idk if that was used in an episode or just an extra thing with the dvds. Neither of the times they perform it is the English version used though

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SR are not more useful than R?
At some point you get more SRs than you need, so the only way to improve is to idolize SRs.

SRs you get from draws are better than SRs you get from events, so at some point the only way to improve your team is to spend money or save at least 100 loveca so that you can do two draws at the same time and hope you get duplicates.

Hachitora

Wait... that scene of Maki about to kiss someone...
That actually could be Nico's dream, and then she wakes up to this
CDXe9ogW0AE_J65.jpg

This better be how it goes down

At some point you get more SRs than you need, so the only way to improve is to idolize SRs.

SRs you get from draws are better than SRs you get from events, so at some point the only way to improve your team is to spend money or save at least 100 loveca so that you can do two draws at the same time and hope you get duplicates.

So what you're saying is getting the URs is kind of a trap though, since they only become useful when you idolize them... and the chances of getting two are substantially lower, especially if you don't keep doing pulls during the same week.

At some point you get more URs than you need, so the only way to improve is to idolize URs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So what you're saying is getting the URs is kind of a trap though, since they only become useful when you idolize them... and the chances of getting two are substantially lower, especially if you don't keep doing pulls during the same week.

At some point you get more URs than you need, so the only way to improve is to idolize URs.
Pretty much. I don't know if this was real or not, but apparently someone on Reddit said that he had idolized URs in every position in every team (which I imagine would cost at least a thousand dollars). That's the only way to have the "best" team - and even then, since new URs are always better than old URs, you will never actually have the best team for long.

I mean, the game is still playable if you don't pay into it of course. But there's a natural limit to how good your team can be if you are not paying into the game.

Articalys

I think Rippi might be good at English. Though I'm just basing that on how she sings "A B C D" in Watashi no Tokei wa Gyaku Kaiten

They kept the original audio for most if not all the songs. I remember an English Fuwa Fuwa Time though idk if that was used in an episode or just an extra thing with the dvds. Neither of the times they perform it is the English version used though
That's why this decision from NISA has me kind of confused. In K-On, at least the insert songs are more few and far-between and the focus is more on the girls' daily life. In Love Live, though, they're a lot more frequent and have a much bigger focus. Just feels like it would clash more...
I mean, the game is still playable if you don't pay into it of course. But there's a natural limit to how good your team can be if you are not paying into the game.
Now, the question is: does this limit also create a barrier that makes it impossible to Score S-rank the later songs? Or have they balanced the S-rank scores so that with enough patience, a free player can assemble a team from guaranteed SR draws and event cards that's strong enough to take care of them all?

CoinArt

The dub for Beck went ahead and dubbed all the (frequent) songs. It turned out pretty good (though I still prefer the original audio for the engrish). They put a ton of effort into that dub, and I hope folks try as hard for LL.

That's why this decision from NISA has me kind of confused. In K-On, at least the insert songs are more few and far-between and the focus is more on the girls' daily life. In Love Live, though, they're a lot more frequent and have a much bigger focus. Just feels like it would clash more...

Now, the question is: does this limit also create a barrier that makes it impossible to Score S-rank the later songs? Or have they balanced the S-rank scores so that with enough patience, a free player can assemble a team from guaranteed SR draws and event cards that's strong enough to take care of them all?
Score doesn't reward hearts in non-event songs. In token events, score doesn't matter for gathering tokens, and slightly matters when spending tokens. Score match is whale heaven which is probably why a 0 UR person like me hates score match and most people enjoy it (aside from song selection)

CoinArt

If you're just going for the one SR, it hardly matters how you place on Score Matches. Even if you consistently get 3rd or 4th place, you can easily get to 25k well before the deadline if you're somewhat conscientious about using stamina regularly.

Mokoi

Banned
If there isn't a showing in San Antonio I'll probably go to Dallas to watch it. I didn't expect the movie to be shown at that many locations. Pretty surprising.

Also ahahahah poor EU.

If you're just going for the one SR, it hardly matters how you place on Score Matches. Even if you consistently get 3rd or 4th place, you can easily get to 25k well before the deadline if you're somewhat conscientious about using stamina regularly.

must be a mental thing for me then. I only got one score match SR, maybe quit before the other score matches hit.

Articalys

I don't care what the S-rank rewards are for a song, I would just find it to be a real dick move to make it impossible for free players to ever unlock them.

I don't care what the S-rank rewards are for a song, I would just find it to be a real dick move to make it impossible for free players to ever unlock them.
I disagree, but understand completely your position. But look at the bright side, if you can never score S rank, you'll probably be stuck at A rank score, making yours songs list their rankings at A S S. Game straight up calling you an ass for not spending money.

CoinArt

I've yet to encounter songs that I perform decently on but can't S-rank with a mostly-SR team (with a couple Rs) and a UR friend. That said, spicy EX songs could have ludicrously high requirements and I would never realize, because I can't or can barely pass them, and there are a number of EX songs I haven't played except on score match, so I can't speak to them.

Articalys

To be honest I've always been a little annoyed with this game's score ranking system since it only partially depends on your actual playing skill and can therefore be affected by elements outside your control, which, as a music/rhythm game aficionado, seems like a minor affront against the genre. The only satisfaction of skill you can have is being able to consistently full combo something, and beyond that, full-perfecting something. There's no real fixed measure of score that can reflect skill.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So far, I've found that you can easily S-rank all songs on EX if you hit full combo and have the proper friend assist with only SRs that I've gotten from events or from draws. But obviously it'll be much easier if you have a team full of idolized SRs/URs.

PK Gaming

I've already got a ENG voice acting wish list

Honoka - Julie Ann Taylor (She can easily play the part)
Umi - ??? (Nobody comes to mind, for some reason. It's not too hard to cast a VA for her, though)
Kotori - Christine M. Cabanos (Safe pick)
Maki - Laura Bailey (She definitely has the range for her)
Rin - Cassandra Morris (Also a safe pick)
Pana - Anyone but Stephanie Sheh (Not that she's a bad voice actress, but she's pigeonholed into doing these kinds of roles and I don't like her voice for them)
Nico - Monica Riel (Absolutely rocks at balancing sugary sweet and harsh and obnoxious)
Nozomi - Carrie Keranen (I can't put it into words, but I think she'd be a good fit)
Eli - Christina Vee (Sure)

Rhapsody

Banned

I usually don't like dealing with audiences in a theater, especially anime just in general. For LA, I've only gone to Madoka 1&2, Rebellion, Fate, and Naruto. All experience were basically the same. :/

fek

Got Nozomi to skill level 6, was hoping for level 7 but no luck. Have everything ready to get her to 7 on EN though so I will be hoping for some luck to max level.

On the movie, it will never be aired here but I'm very happy with this international release so I hope you guys enjoy it and share your experiences
And I avoid dubs but I'm actually curious about this one, looks like another way to enjoy the series, I'll probably check this one

And as a reminder, the Best Album Collection 2 is almost sold out on NISA store:
http://store.nisamerica.com/muse-best-album-best-live-collection-ii

You can S score every song in the game with a team of unidolized SRs from events or from guaranteed SR pulls. Some EX songs will require a good combo though

Not sure about Rippi but here's KotoHonoMaki crew getting a mail from a foreigner fan and trying to say something in english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWjNpQInfo&t=25m20s

And here's Nanjo reading something in english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3aZBd6mWuE&t=3m46s

Hachitora

I've already got a ENG voice acting wish list
I can agree with this list. And yeah, Sheh wouldn't fit Hanayo at all. I personally think her role as Yui in K-On was fine, but that voice wouldn't work for Hanayo
Not sure about Rippi but here's KotoHonoMaki crew getting a mail from a foreigner fan and trying to say something in english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWjNpQInfo&t=25m20s

And here's Nanjo reading something in english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3aZBd6mWuE&t=3m46s
Haha, these guys are such dorks :p

CoinArt

Can you imagine how bad the dub will be. Is Rin going to say nyaa or meow? What about that scene where Kotori persuades Umi and she's like "Umi-chan onegai!"

No one can recreate that. "Umi-chan pretty please!"

"Pretty please!" seems like it'd be a pretty good translation. Gets across the cutesy thing quite nicely.

The songs are the only things about LL that are inherently tricky to dub, and that sort of thing has been handled decently in the past. LL is a pretty big name and will probably get a good amount of attention, so I see no reason to be particularly pessimistic.

Hachitora

Can you imagine how bad the dub will be. Is Rin going to say nyaa or meow?
Oh yeah, forgot that that could be a problem. They might just ignore the whole "nya at the end of every sentence" thing. Maybe compensate with a copious amount of cat puns :p
"Pretty please!" seems like it'd be a pretty good translation. Gets across the cutesy thing quite nicely.

The songs are the only things about LL that are inherently tricky to dub, and that sort of thing has been handled decently in the past. LL is a pretty big name and will probably get a good amount of attention, so I see no reason to be particularly pessimistic.
Pretty please also has basically the same amount of syllables as onegai and has the cuteness factor, so I could see that working.

If they're gonna dub the songs, I hope to god they're at least decent. There's a Snow Halation fandub that I think sounds really good, so I'm hoping that whoever dubs the show can have it sound like that :p I doubt they'll dub them though, since they didn't for K-On

PK Gaming

Can you imagine how bad the dub will be. Is Rin going to say nyaa or meow? What about that scene where Kotori persuades Umi and she's like "Umi-chan onegai!"

No one can recreate that. "Umi-chan pretty please!"

There's no way they're keeping Nyaa or "Meow." Rin's probably going to lose that quirk, but I can see them working in some cat puns.

"Yeah, that dance routine was the cat's meow!" or something along those lines.

"Umi-chan onegai!" is pretty easily to translate though. "Pretty please" is a good fit.

Top Bottom