• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

CoinArt

My old S2 had issues with off timing. The timing adjust thing never seemed to help much. It was fairly consistently off, though, so I managed to adjust my own sense of timing. I also had to play on a surface that wouldn't carry the sound of my vigorous tapping, since the dissonance of the two rhythms would throw me off.

I think older Android hardware just has some issues with SIF (or maybe the other way 'round).

PK Gaming

Nico Nico Nii~

Yazawa-Nico-3-love-live-school-idol-project-37589004-500-281.jpg

It's the day you've all been waiting for—the moment where I (the super popular, super cute idol) will captivate your hearts with my Nico-Nico Charm ♥ We all know that i'm a top tier idol on the road to stardom, but for the few of you that don't know, I Nico Yazawa, am a radiant idol angel who's always got a smile on her face. I am μ's secret weapon. The cutest idol with the most skill, the most moxy and the most heart. My goal? To become the greatest idol in the universe. You got that? You better be thankful that I took the time to explain myself, because an idol is always busy ♥

If there's one thing you can't fault her for, it's her distinctiveness. In a medium over-saturated with cutesy idols, Nico manages to effortlessly stand out from the crowd. I mean, cmon it's Nico. Chances are, hearing that name either fills with you immense joy or immense dread. She's got this iconicness to her that most other idol characters simply don't have. She's a memorable character, with an iconic catchphrase to boot. You know the one:

"Pyon, Pyon, Pyon!"

Nico as a character is actually pretty interesting. She's this seemingly a cute and sweet girl, but it's all part of her persona. The real Nico is irritable, insecure, immature, arrogant and occasionally duplicitous. She gets a lot of flack for being that way, but you know what? I love for it. Her fake moe persona is great because it's such a stark contrast from the other girls who are (for the most part) pretty damn nice. Not that the other members of μ's are bad in any way, but Nico's manages to stand in a way that they don't. To get a better sense of what I mean, you need to consider her background. See, her dad died when she was young, which resulted in her mother having to work constantly. She lives in a rundown, shabby home, and has to constantly support her younger siblings. One chapter in her School Idol Diary details her childhood in which she had to lie to her friends because she was too ashamed of showing them her rundown crappy home. In another chapter, she talks about how registration fees for dancing lessons were pretty much out of the question for her, which made it harder to achieve her dream of being an idol. When she joins an acting troupe (after saving up a ton of money) she gets passed up on a role (despite being a great actor) because she couldn't afford to buy fake teeth. Everything she wants has always just been outside of her reach.

It's that honest to god human element in Nico's character that makes her so good. That hunger, that drive to be the best even though her circumstances aren't too fortunate. Of course, she isn't blameless. Like I mentioned earlier, she has a ton of vices (and she's really, really, really insecure... shoutouts to S2EP4 of the anime) but that aspect of her only serves to drive her character. Considering her situation, it's not too hard to see how she ended up the way she did.

I decided a long time ago that i'd become an idol no matter what. Not a patissiere, not a flower groomer, not a preschooler, not a doctor, not a CEO, not a Doraemon…Wait that last one might be close… No, not a single one of those! The only thing i'll settle for is being a real idol.

Unlike the other girls, there's nothing truly special about her. She doesn't a ton of charisma, she isn't particularly talented at one thing, she isn't a rice goddess or a beauty. But even in spite of that, Nico tries. Nico tries so damn hard. And that's why, above all else, she's the best.

Take it away, Eli

rkUrgW5.png

Labrys

My old S2 had issues with off timing. The timing adjust thing never seemed to help much. It was fairly consistently off, though, so I managed to adjust my own sense of timing. I also had to play on a surface that wouldn't carry the sound of my vigorous tapping, since the dissonance of the two rhythms would throw me off.

I think older Android hardware just has some issues with SIF (or maybe the other way 'round).

Ah, I see. This sucks then, it doesn't look like I'll ever Full Combo a song ever again, or at least until I get a new phone.

CoinArt

Nico Nico Nii~

It's the day you've all been waiting for—the moment where I (the super popular, super cute idol) will captivate your hearts with my Nico-Nico Charm ♥ We all know that i'm a top tier idol on the road to stardom, but for the few of you that don't know, I Nico Yazawa, am a radiant idol angel who's always got a smile on her face. I am μ's secret weapon. The cutest idol with the most skill, the most moxy and the most heart. My goal? To become the greatest idol in the universe. You got that? You better be thankful that I took the time to explain myself, because an idol is always busy ♥

m5XwoIn.png
love-live_05-25.jpg

If there's one thing you can't fault her for, it's her distinctiveness. In a medium over-saturated with cutesy idols, Nico manages to effortlessly stand out from the crowd. I mean, cmon it's Nico. Chances are, hearing that name either fills with you immense joy or immense dread. She's got this iconicness to her that most other idol characters simply don't have. She's a memorable character, with an iconic catchphrase to boot. You know the one:

"Pyon, Pyon, Pyon!"

vcKdfxf.png
P71F6Lq.png

Nico as a character is actually pretty interesting. She's this seemingly a cute and sweet girl, but it's all part of her persona. The real Nico is irritable, insecure, immature, arrogant and occasionally duplicitous. She gets a lot of flack for being that way, but you know what? I love for it. Her fake moe persona is great because it's such a stark contrast from the other girls who are (for the most part) pretty damn nice. Not that the other members of μ's are bad in any way, but Nico's manages to stand in a way that they don't. To get a better sense of what I mean, you need to consider her background. See, her dad died when she was young, which resulted in her mother having to work constantly. She lives in a rundown, shabby home, and has to constantly support her younger siblings. One chapter in her School Idol Diary details her childhood in which she had to lie to her friends because she was too ashamed of showing them her rundown crappy home. In another chapter, she talks about how registration fees for dancing lessons were pretty much out of the question for her, which made it harder to achieve her dream of being an idol. When she joins an acting troupe (after saving up a ton of money) she gets passed up on a role (despite being a great actor) because she couldn't afford to buy fake teeth. Everything she wants has always just been outside of her reach.

8c5Awzn.png
iMvLYaf.png
NVffIua.png

It's that honest to god human element in Nico's character that makes her so good. That hunger, that drive to be the best even though her circumstances aren't too fortunate. Of course, she isn't blameless. Like I mentioned earlier, she has a ton of vices (and she's really, really, really insecure... shoutouts to S2EP4 of the anime) but that aspect of her only serves to drive her character. Considering her situation, it's not too hard to see how she ended up the way she did.

I decided a long time ago that i'd become an idol no matter what. Not a patissiere, not a flower groomer, not a preschooler, not a doctor, not a CEO, not a Doraemon…Wait that last one might be close… No, not a single one of those! The only thing i'll settle for is being a real idol.

Unlike the other girls, there's nothing truly special about her. She doesn't a ton of charisma, she isn't particularly talented at one thing, she isn't a rice goddess or a beauty. But even in spite of that, Nico tries. Nico tries so damn hard. And that's why, above all else, she's the best.

Take it away, Eli

rkUrgW5.png

Yes. Nico is good.

Theorymon

Nico Nico Nii~

"Pyon, Pyon, Pyon!"

Take it away, Eli

rkUrgW5.png

Oh, so THIS is where you've been hiding, PK Gaming :p

A little background: This kind of stuff usually isn't my cup of tea, but PK Gaming and me had a deal: I read these Love Live Light Novels, and he reads my childhood favorite novel, Contact (the Carl Sagan book).

The one he made me read was the light novel on Nico. I only know about Love Live because I've heard people talk about that mobile game on Smogon. Honestly, I was expecting the light novel PK Gaming was making me read to be some sort of... vapid, creepy "moe" thing aimed at Otakus.

The first chapter certainly didn't help, with it focusing on the boobs of high school women >_>

However, I was legitimately by the depth of the light novel. Nico was a much more human character than I was expecting! She has reasons for her behavior, reasons for her immaturity, insecurity, and for putting up a facade of being this "cute idol". Life has clearly been unkind to her, and she's trying her very best to achieve her dreams despite the many obstacles in her way.

If the other characters of this franchise have this much depth and aren't just "moe bait", then I might be interested! Well I mean, I gota read more of these light novels anyways since the book I'm making PKGaming read is like as long as three of them, but hey I might enjoy this :p

P.S.: PK Gaming which one do you want me to read next?

PK Gaming

Nice of you to drop by, Tmon

The good news is that there a bunch of light novels, and they're arguably just as interesting as Nico's.

The bad news is that only 2/11(??) light novels have been translated, so you're sort of out of luck after you read the next one.

That's okay though, you can make it up to me by watching the anime. Now I know what you're thinking:

"This is totally not my cup of tea!!!"

But you should know that the anime is actually pretty good. No really, it's not just some cheap cash in; it's actually well directed and legitimately one of my favorite animes. Take my word for it. It's just like when you told me to try out Wobbuffet. At first I was like, "yo I hate this garbage" but now i'm like "yo I love this bastard \(>_<)7"

PS: The boobs chapter was 100% necessary man, like cmon:

p9jNBAj.png

This is art

Hachitora

I managed to read through Nico's School Idol Diary and most of Maki's (the scanlation I found only had up to chapter 4) during a party, and I have to say, Nico's SID really gives her a much better character. The first few chapters of Maki's does the same (her dad really is a jerk). I really hope they're officially translated someday so I can read
Rin's
everyone else's

Edit: Looks like Klab noticed the complaints on the censoring Unfortunately, nothing in their official statement (there's a link to it in that article) indicates that they're going to change the translation. At least, as far as I can tell.

Edit2: Damn, ninja'd by Articalys. Oh well, I'll just say I said it first since my post is on top :^)

I'm back~ (no one noticed I was banned for two weeks TvT)

As a welcome back, here's my dumb theory:

Season 2 of Love Live is a mirror of Season 1, kind of. It lets you see their development from season 1 to season 2.

Episode 1: Starts with Honoka Singing. Honoka Prances down the hallway. Then both seasons end singing the same song.
Episode 2: They make costumes, musics, and lyrics for their performance in
Episode 3: They have their first performance.
Episode 4: In S1, Hanayo has a secret. In S2, Nico has a secret. They are unsure of something, but with a push from her friends, they make a declaration. Then they join Muse.
Episode 5: S1- Dealing with Nico's issues, she becomes the idol she always wanted to be. S2- Dealing with Rin's issues, she becomes the idol she always wanted to be.
Episode 6: Comedy episode of silliness. Muse discovers who they are. End with a performance of them in fairy tale costumes.
Episode 7: Both have student council issues. Also, S1- They work hard to pass a test. S2- They work hard to lose weight.
Episode 8: S1- Eli has trouble conveying her feelings of what she wants to do. We learn about her childhood. S2- Nozomi has trouble conveying her feelings of what she wants to do. We learn about her childhood.
Episode 9: The three second year girls have a touching moment at the top of a stairway. Muse learns of the support of their fans. Muse sings in Akihabra.
Episode 10: S1: A seasonal team building event in the summer. S2: A seasonal team building event in new year's. (Reaching for this one)
Episode 11: Something unexpected happens and begins the end of Muse
Episode 12: The effects of the previous episode builds up with the episode ending with a crazy climax.
Episode 13: The aftermath. The drama of the last two episodes is resolved. Something happens last minute and Muse doesn't break up. Then they end it with one last song.

JoeFu

Banned
Been watching Working!! because it's going to be taken off from CR soon and when I got to the S2 OP I wondered why it was so familiar

took me a while to remember that someone linked the OP with LL characters a while back lol.

CoinArt

Dammit, why can't I FC Shiranai Love in EN. I've done it plenty in JP & score match, but it's escaped me in EN for 36 plays.

GoXDS

finally FC both versions of the EX Event song. lost too many tokens attempting (though all it means is I lose out on 16000 event pt tier or 12 clears on Random so not that big a deal). it's not a particularly difficult song but...kept messing up somewhere

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fed away the JP event normal by accident... how long does it usually take for them to show up in recruiting? A couple of months?

Hrm, based on the last few wiki entries, looks like it appears after the next event. Although with a lower chance to drop. My FP. :(

Articalys

As usual, early information from the next issue Dengeki G's Magazine is out, and from a total of 23,204 submissions, we have our finalist group names for the Love Live Sunshine project:
Aqours -- combing the words "aqua" and "ours"
&#28006;&#12398;&#26143;&#23569;&#22899;&#38538; (Ura no Hoshi Shoujo-tai) -- just the name of their school and "girl group"
Orange&#8217;squash -- because of the orange groves near the school
&#27468;&#38899; (Canon; with the kanji for "song" and "sound) -- from the musical term "canon" involving overlapping melodies
KiSeKi -- TL note: "kiseki" means "miracle"
Sakuya -- for Konohanasakuya, the goddess of Mt. Fuji
SS&#8217;s (read as "Sunshines") -- also carries the meanings of "School" and "Save"
&#28526;&#39080;sail (Shiokaze sail; kanji mean "sea breeze") -- from the image of the girls and the sea in the promo illustration
&#12471;&#12515;&#12452;&#12491;&#12540;&#12474; (Shinies) -- desire to become a shining idol group
&#12471;&#12515;&#12531;&#12486;&#12451; (Ceantea) -- combining "ocean" and "tea"; Shizuoka is a big tea producer
Stella -- Italian for "star"
Spica -- brightest star in the constellation Virgo
Soleil -- French for "sun"
Palettes! -- like a paint palette, mixing together different colors to create something new
Lir -- god of the sea from Celtic mythology
Hope you like something here, because one of these fifteen names is what you'll be calling the next Love Live group.

There's also new solo illustrations for each girl, but those full scans aren't out yet.

The finalist voting begins on June 1 at 11am JST.

GoXDS

wha...some of those are pretty meh (or outright bad if I'm to be honest)

Aqours -- no. Muse was so much better
&#28006;&#12398;&#26143;&#23569;&#22899;&#38538; (Ura no Hoshi Shoujo-tai) -- ......
Orange&#8217;squash -- .......
&#27468;&#38899; (Canon; with the kanji for "song" and "sound) -- maybe
KiSeKi -- maybe..?
Sakuya -- a little dull but acceptable
SS&#8217;s (read as "Sunshines") -- don't like it but wouldn't say it's outright bad
&#28526;&#39080;sail (Shiokaze sail; kanji mean "sea breeze") -- the mix of writing forms is weird...so no?
&#12471;&#12515;&#12452;&#12491;&#12540;&#12474; (Shinies) -- no...
&#12471;&#12515;&#12531;&#12486;&#12451; (Ceantea) -- no...
Stella -- meh
Spica -- meh
Soleil -- meh?
Palettes! -- personally no
Lir -- meh

then again, it might be unfair to compare to Muse. that was so clever, elegant, and cool. definitely hard to live up to

Reknoc

I like Soleil and Kiseki. Muse was only good stylised otherwise it just sounds like the sort of name a past their prime brit rock band would have.

Top Bottom