• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

GrandHusk

It's not really about being hard or easy, or getting the rhythm down.
I'm just not good with handling "pressure", so I always choke like crazy on a high combo. xD

<3
I wish my EN account had only half as much luck as my JP one. ^^
I have the same problem, I still haven't FC Kaguya no Shiro de Odoritai always get super nervous at the end of an EX song when have perfect run.

Congrats on the pull btw, amazing luck.
Hope I have at least half of that during the new years draw.
edit: Let's keep tradition
2yb7V70.jpg

Maki got a nice present in Christmas!

PK Gaming

Love Live! - 1 & 2

I didn't really much expectations for this show. Going in, I was only really in for the yuri-subtext, but to be perfectly honest? I actually really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It's kind of a neat show on its own right. I'm not really into idol animes, but the he premise is fun, the characters are compelling and likable, and the visuals are reaaaally nice. I can't believe I held off on watching it so long.

Re: Characters

I didn't even know about Honoka's existence until now, but she's pretty enjoyable. I was set to hate Umi right out of the gate, but she's already my favorite character. Kotori's really mild, but her presence is appreciated. Nozomi's totally crazy, but in a crazy good way. (Please, please, please tell me the tarot cards are a regularly occurrence.) Don't have much to say about Eli, other than she's in "seriousbusiness" student council mode. (Not for long, I hope)

I can instantly see why Maki and Nico are super popular.

Current party: 3 (Soon to be 4?)

Rhapsody

Banned
Love Live! - 1 & 2

I didn't really much expectations for this show. Going in, I was only really in for the yuri-subtext, but to be perfectly honest? I actually really enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It's kind of a neat show on its own right. I'm not really into idol animes, but the he premise is fun, the characters are compelling and likable, and the visuals are reaaaally nice. I can't believe I held off on watching it so long.

Re: Characters

I didn't even know about Honoka's existence until now, but she's pretty enjoyable. I was set to hate Umi right out of the gate, but she's already my favorite character. Kotori's really mild, but her presence is appreciated. Nozomi's totally crazy, but in a crazy good way. (Please, please, please tell me the tarot cards are a regularly occurrence.) Don't have much to say about Eli, other than she's in "seriousbusiness" student council mode. (Not for long, I hope)

I can instantly see why Maki and Nico are super popular.

Current party: 3 (Soon to be 4?)

Oh, you're starting it. And just like you, I think I set my expectations pretty much the same so I ended up enjoying it.

I know people liked S2 a lot, but I preferred S1 more since it was pretty eventful throughout.

Hugstable

Banned
Nice to see that you're enjoying it btw.

There there Umi

ibuDuiP7z48Ik8.gif

I still don't know which season I liked more, both had pretty good episodes in each, though the first season was more focused when all the members were first getting together, but I really didn't like the end drama of the season. Season 2 still has some of my most favorite Episodes though (Rin ep., Holloween, and Nozomi Episodes.)

Rhapsody

Banned
S2 ending was definitely better than S1 ending for me, yeah.

I liked Umi but then she slowly became mostly a stick in the mud :(

Team Bibi for life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
S2 ending was definitely better than S1 ending for me, yeah.

I liked Umi but then she slowly became mostly a stick in the mud :(

Team Bibi for life.
Minna! Tai hen!!!!!!!!!!

Although I must admit, as a set up for the movie, I thought it was a hilarious cliffhanger ending.

Himemiya

Love Live! official manga volume 2 was scanlated before Christmas, so just like the first volume I read it and made an impressions post for you rabu raibas~!

Last volume had no Nozomi. Last volume also ended with Nico noping out of her maid café gig because a lady teacher showed up to socialize. In the second volume there's lots of Nozomi and the lady teacher is back because it turns out she's the supervisor for Nozomi's unique and under-attended spiritual powaah club.

This is a pretty weak volume with a plot that goes in circles. We're told repeatedly that the Otonoki school is closing down and they need one more idol so they can be 9 in a group (and qualify for LL to save it). There's a clear goal but they're not even doing much that's interesting while trying to get qualified. In the anime there's
at least training camps at Maki's fancy vacation home, Nico in disguise trying to troll &#956;'s, and getting popular by making the music video and um, just general songs way before they have the full 9. Recruiting the members is also more of an event in the anime, and more emotional. In the manga Nozomi gives up her club to join theirs in about a page, because she likes manjuu.
This manga doesn't even have them creating songs at this point even though we're told they really want to be idols and they really want to save the school. Dunno about Maki's piano talents either because they seem to not exist. Can't really fault them for keeping the practice/dance sessions to a couple panels, considering the medium, but it sure isn't exciting. Art and lay-out is unremarkable so moving on to some stuff that might be cool...

Maki and Nico are conspiring to join &#956;'s for the sole purpose of leaving the other raibus in the dust and enrolling in UTX.
It's weird but one of the more interesting things in this manga. Amidst all the recruiting tedium and meandering, this is actually a new plot point that could build up to something
, probably poorly handled drama.

RinPana was cute. Eli was the washi washi-er. Nozomi's accent was translated into something weird, where she says stuff like "crikey!" and "aboot". Some of the "yuri" is just tossed-in like they don't even care about being in-character, such a shame.

Kinda think the weird and funny from the first volume was turned down (lewd was turned up) and this is what we're left with. Or maybe it was just drowned out. There was some weird Yukiho stuff in there.

16 chapters in and they still don't have all members though...

Made another lil album (featuring A-RISE midriff).

Crescent-

How did everyones Holidays go so far?

Currently trying to finish Xillia 2, and gonna go on holiday to Bali in 2 days. Need to master photoshop/after effects/3dsmax when i get home from the trip to prepare for the next semester.

Oh and i forgot to ask is there a confirmed time for the new year's pull yet? I'm probably the only one in the Asian timezone here (besides cpooi who said he wasn't gonna pull) so I probably should adapt to the timezones of the majority here. Or maybe I'll just pull and then post the results here when you guys have also pulled.

PK Gaming

Love live! - 3 & 4

I was expecting a low turn out for their first concert, but man, I didn't think it would be that barren. Talk about a spirit crusher! Though i'm glad they decided to not give up (or rather, i'm glad they didn't waste an episode on them getting cheered up). It's cliched, but it's true what they say: when you fall you just have to get right back up. I'm kind of impressed with Honoka's ability to bounce right back like that. Her indomitable will would put some of the most hotblooded of protagonists to shame.

I'm glad they didn't waste time getting Koizomi to join. That would have been a pain, just seeing her angst and go back and forth on joining. That i'm seriously surprised that Rin AND Maki joined so early. Maki just screams lategame party member, and Rin is like midgame at the earliest. I'm still impressed at how often Love Live! makes me laugh. The comedy is surprisingly great. Next episode should be good, what with Nico beginning her assault.

Eli and Nozomi talk and act like shonen antagonists.

Current party status: 6 members
Idol Level: Novice

Ceris

Neo Member
Love live! - 3 & 4

I was expecting a low turn out for their first concert, but man, I didn't think it would be that barren. Talk about a spirit crusher! Though i'm glad they decided to not give up (or rather, i'm glad they didn't waste an episode on them getting cheered up). It's cliched, but it's true what they say: when you fall you just have to get right back up. I'm kind of impressed with Honoka's ability to bounce right back like that. Her indomitable will would put some of the most hotblooded of protagonists to shame.

I'm glad they didn't waste time getting Koizomi to join. That would have been a pain, just seeing her angst and go back and forth on joining. That i'm seriously surprised that Rin AND Maki joined so early. Maki just screams lategame party member, and Rin is like midgame at the earliest. I'm still impressed at how often Love Live! makes me laugh. The comedy is surprisingly great. Next episode should be good, what with Nico beginning her assault.

Eli and Nozomi talk and act like shonen antagonists.

Current party status: 6 members
Idol Level: Novice
With 9 members, they don't really have time to have each character join individually else they risk having no time for fun stuff.

And that scene in episode 3 still makes me tear up, from when I first watched it when it first aired til now, it makes no different.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Stop caring about what other people think. Every year there's complaints about the results and one month later people forget and move on. The big irony was Kill la Kill, it was voted for by many and then they turned around and complained when it was in the top ten despite them voting for it.

Still feel rather disgusted in parts of GAF who tried to guilt trip people into removing their vote in that mobile game of the year thread.

m0t0k1

I'll probably gonna make a top 10 tomorrow. I am not going to vote for LL nr1 i don't even know if i am going to add it to my top 10. I have some series i want to list. But i think its going to be off from most of the regular stuff. I am pretty casual when it comes to watching anime.

JoeFu

Banned
Sorry Ping Pong is like best anime released in last 3 years. It's so good.

Haven't even looked at AotY thread, but I hope Ping Pong wins.

Yui

Don't mind me, I just don't like the "hipster" hype around it.
A lot of bitter and sarcastic people hating everything in most current anime will proclaim everything that's different "the best thing ever".
Nothing personal, if you like the show for it's artstyle or whatever go ahead, nothing wrong with that. ^^

Sry, just ignore me.

JoeFu

Banned
Don't mind me, I just don't like the "hipster" hype around it.
A lot of bitter and sarcastic people hating everything in most current anime will proclaim everything that's different "the best thing ever".
Nothing personal, if you like the show for it's artstyle or whatever go ahead, nothing wrong with that. ^^

What hipster hype? It's a great show that delves into things that sports anime never touch. The artstyle doesn't make or break the show.

I get people not liking Yuasa's style, but I can appreciate it and glad there are things different from the typical " anime" artsyle.

Yui

What hipster hype?

Quite a lot of smaller anime communities I know proclaimed it the jesus of anime before it even aired, just because of it's artstyle and presentation.
While bashing every other new release with the usual otaku/moe shit comments. Like I said, just me ranting, ignore it. ^^

What hipster hype? It's a great show that delves into things that sports anime never touch. The artstyle doesn't make or break the show.

I get people not liking Yuasa's style, but I can appreciate it and glad there are things different from the typical " anime" artsyle.

OT but w/e

Ping Pong is great because it's well directed, has great writing and believable characters. It shows the struggle of becoming the best at the sport while avoiding the typical cliches found in "training to be the best" stories. Also the fact that they got a Chinese VA to voice the Chinese character was a nice touch that made the rivalries more convincing.

Of course it's no Recently, My Sister is Unusual.

JoeFu

Banned
Quite a lot of smaller anime communities I know proclaimed it the jesus of anime before it even aired, just because of it's artstyle and presentation.
While bashing every other new release with the usual otaku/moe shit comments. Like I said, just me ranting, ignore it. ^^

Cool. Your other communities have nothing to do with me and probably most the people here so okay ...

Okay so no more of this anime arguing stuff. Here's a weird fanart of Honker and her dad

Yui

Yeah I'm sorry, but I looked into one of the AnimeGAF OTs a while ago and it looked like the same "bitter vibe", so I just assumed it's not any different in here.
(That's also the reason why I avoid AnimeGAF completely, even though I probably watch more anime than I play games. ^^)

Himemiya

You know, hype for something before it airs could come from being long-time fans of someone involved (take the director, Masaaki Yuasa), and if they always deliver, well, how could you not be looking forward to their next thing?
Don't think I've seen people/communities like the one you're describing, Yui ...somethingsomething Kick Heart ignored.
Coming from someone who's gonna have Free! and some arguably moe and commercialized stuff on their AOTY...

I'm putting Ping Pong #1, it did everything way too right.

fek

I might just have gotten bored of the media but I thought this was a bad year for anime so not voting on this one

Rhapsody

Banned
I usually avoid AOTY talk on GAF. I feel like it'll end up with people criticizing lists too much, haha.

I haven't even thought about what my top ten would be tbh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I enjoyed Ping Pong but it wasn't my favourite show of the year. Things like director hype or whatever go over my head since I honestly don't know much about the people behind anime. I'm pretty casual in that regard.

Top of the page picture:

Top Bottom