• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

JoeFu

Banned
Good morning LLGAF!

ibhjYSAAKm6kH5.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that has to be one of the cutest gifs ever.

PK Gaming

Love Live! - 7

So Nozomi's... Nozomi's kind of weird. No, supremely weird. You know, I thought the groping thing would be a one-off gimmick, but I was surprised at how prevalent it was. It's so surreal. Like at one point, she manages condition the girls to react in fear just by raising her arm. It's kind of awe inspiring and terrifying at the same time.Eventually, it got to a point where her threats would send me into a laughing fit. The thing that gets me is that it's such a weird character trait; like you wouldn't think she'd do this just by looking at her. I love it when character's just have weird traits that set them apart from the rest.

Anyway, the pie in the sky (the Love Live! competition) finally makes its long awaited appearance, and the pressure to enter and win is on. But to enter, none of them need to fail their final exams. I love test-studying arcs (since they're usually so entertaining) and this one didn't disappoint. Lots of great gags here, with the best being Nozomi's threats. On the student council side, Eli's really trying her hardest to oppose μ. I sort of get where she's coming from, but she's just being stubborn and prideful at this point. Hopefully she comes around in the next episode.

Current party status: 7 members
Idol Level: Rapidly Rising School Idol
Current favorite: It's Nozomi

PK Gaming

It's totally off-color and not usually my cup of tea, but I'm actually pretty okay. Definitely a YMMV thing, haha.

Incidentally, were the girls always so... colorful? Like when Love Live! first dropped in 2010(?), did they have personalities and such? Seeing their anime personalities must have been a huge shock to you guys.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's totally off-color and not usually my cup of tea, but I'm actually pretty okay. Definitely a YMMV thing, haha.

Incidentally, were the girls always so... colorful? Like when Love Live! first dropped in 2010(?), did they have personalities and such? Seeing their anime personalities must have been a huge shock to you guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if the large majority of people got into it because of the anime. That and SIF basically got a wave of people into it.
I didn't even know it was really a thing until then.

Hachitora

Is it wrong to like Maki?
Absolutely not! She's tied for first place with Rin, of course.
They didn't have personalities in the beginning. At least not as much as they do now. In fact, their personalities are different depending on the type of media you're reading, I think. I hear they act differently in the manga or school idol diaries compared to the anime.
I just downloaded this yesterday. As you see by my avatar, I'm already hooked.

God, I'm sucker for rhythm games with cute girls in them.
Haha, another one sucked into the LL void. Nice avatar btw.

Yaari

Yeah I also started out with the game. Anime later . Was just great seeing all those songs performed after playing them in the game.

Welcome new people. Love that were ever expanding on here. :)

PK Gaming

Absolutely not! She's tied for first place with Rin, of course.
They didn't have personalities in the beginning. At least not as much as they do now. In fact, their personalities are different depending on the type of media you're reading, I think. I hear they act differently in the manga or school idol diaries compared to the anime.

Interesting. I wish I saw the reaction to their personalities firsthand.

"Those 3 are childhood friends?"

"She's part Russian?"

"Nyan?!?"

"She's the leader?"

"She has a really funny voice."

"Nico-Nico-Ni!?"

"Wow, she's not at all like I envisioned her to be."

Qurex

Neo Member
Well, I'll probably be buying those. And I did listen to Soshite Saigo no Peji ni Wa, and I liked it. I didn't like the preview but I like the full song now.

I also finally listened to the full version of Happy Maker! and the ending is so obnoxious, everyone is just like yelling over each other. All I could make out was "LOVE ARROW SHOOT" and "NICO NICO NII".

Soshite Saigo no Peji ni Wa sounds nice as a whole song. Perhaps the preview would be better if they cut the song like how they do for the TV versions or in School idol festival rather than just cutting off in the middle.

There's loads of cheering at the end of Happy Maker! Well I think there is. Like you said you can't really hear anything, even at high volumes I struggle to tell what they're saying.
But then again I'm slightly more bothered by the short part with random talking in the middle of Datte Datte Aa Mujou. I just find it odd when there's random speaking parts in the middle of songs. I find it odd since I assume they would have to do this if they performed it live and it just seems odd trying to picture that. Maybe it's not that strange though.

What do you think of the quiet giggles at the end of SENTIMENTAL StepS?

You could probably say there are at least 3 versions:
  1. Anime
  2. Manga/School idol diary - I'm assuming they're the same since they have the same writer. Although, I don't know much about School idol diary.
  3. School idol festival - don't think it has any connection to any of the others
Have no idea where the CD dramas and other stuff would go. Only a few things are constants, general personality traits, their ages/school year, Otonokizaka is shutting down etc...
They should release a Love Live! Historia =p

Interesting. I wish I saw the reaction to their personalities firsthand.

I think quite a few of these things were already established, since the songs precede the anime. Probably by the release of the 1st single.

Oh and welcome to all the new people!

Hachitora

"Nyan?!?"

"Nico-Nico-Ni!?"
These two in particular were probably the most shocking. Rin because her absolutely amazing voice didn't really fit with the Nya personality. She seemed like a normal sweet girl. And Nico seemed pretty normal, I think. Natsuiro Egao de 1, 2, Jump gave her a bit of personality, but it's definitely not the Nico-Nico-Nii we know and love(?) Except for that one scene where she moves the watermelon away from Hanayo I guess
So those three versions actually take place in three different timelines. One where they save Otonokizaka in the loli-Maki timeline, one in the normal timeline, and one in which they fail to save Otonokizaka.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I watched the anime first so those are the personalities I'm used to. If you want odd check out the early music videos. Not only are the years mixed up, but the character art is different (actually the pure Rs are based on the early art). And of course the characters basically felt flat personality wise. Thank goodness they went back to the drawing board. cCn you imagine if Nico wasn't two faced but just sickly sweet? How awful.

Hachitora

I watched the anime first so those are the personalities I'm used to. If you want odd check out the early music videos. Not only are the years mixed up, but the character art is different (actually the pure Rs are based on the early art). And of course the characters basically felt flat personality wise. Thank goodness they went back to the drawing board. cCn you imagine if Nico wasn't two faced but just sickly sweet? How awful.

I think of it like I do for some video game series. Like for pokemon, I'd rather play something more advanced and worked on in the series, like ORAS. However, if I want to go back and see where the series started and see how it got its roots, I'd go and play Red/Blue. But those games are a bit too archaic for me to actually enjoy on their own when I've got something better there.

PK Gaming

Sickly sweet Nico... perish the thought!

Love Live - 8 & 9

Elichi joined the party!

It was about time. Eli was able to put aside her petty pride and accept μ's as the ultimate force of good and love. I could tell that she wasn't as high strung she made herself out to be, and it shows after she starts training them. Again, i'm glad the anime didn't spend too much time on this particular plot point (not that they really had a choice in the matter... there's still so much to cover). Oh, and i'm seriously impressed with the art & animation team for juggling 9 separate characters on screen. Most animes i've seen have 5 or 6 at most, but 9 is definitely impressive. Harasho.

Rivals they are... FRIENDS, yet POWERFUL FOES.

The focus on Kotori was pretty nice, though I can't say I could fully sympathize with her dilemna. "Compared to Umi and Honoka, I can't keep up" she says, as she's responsible for making all of their costumes while holding down a job AND being a competent singer/dancer. If anything, if μ's is made up of "normal" and "elite" students, then she's definitely on team elite. Anyway, I did like how her friends told her that was bunk, and how Umi views her friends as rival. Because cmon, despite how she acts there's no way she'll ever want to fall behind them. Akiba was fun, and I like how they fussed over their merchandise.

Current party status: 9 members (COMPLETE)
Idol Level: Love Live Candidates
Current favorite: Nico, with Nozomi barely behind her and Maki in 3rd

fek

You could probably say there are at least 3 versions:
  1. Anime
  2. Manga/School idol diary - I'm assuming they're the same since they have the same writer. Although, I don't know much about School idol diary.
  3. School idol festival - don't think it has any connection to any of the others
Have no idea where the CD dramas and other stuff would go. Only a few things are constants, general personality traits, their ages/school year, Otonokizaka is shutting down etc...
There's an original manga and now there's a new manga based on SID, so yeah, they are actually different in those too even with the same writer.
First few drama CDs are definitely different than everything else in the series too.
I have the History of Love Live book, I'll post the very first introduction for each girl later

GrandHusk

Love Live - 8 & 9

Current party status: 9 members (COMPLETE)
Idol Level: Love Live Candidates
Current favorite: Nico, with Nozomi barely behind her and Maki in 3rd
Good to see you are liking the anime and it only gets better from there.
Your post make me want to see S1 again
Your favorites are ranked very similar to mine, I would only change Nico with Maki and put Honoka tied with Nozomi in second place. :)

I just downloaded this yesterday. As you see by my avatar, I'm already hooked.

God, I'm sucker for rhythm games with cute girls in them.
Welcome
tumblr_ndoqymrvbs1tqw94do4_500.gif

Qurex

Neo Member
There's an original manga and now there's a new manga based on SID, so yeah, they are actually different in those too even with the same writer.
First few drama CDs are definitely different than everything else in the series too.
I have the History of Love Live book, I'll post the very first introduction for each girl later

I actually forgot about that SID manga adaption. That was from earlier this year? Have they released a volume yet? Actually it might be too soon for that.
They're both published in the same magazine I think. As well as having the same author. That's kinda confusing.

I suppose the History of Love Live book probably covers a lot. Must be quite interesting since Love Live is a fan driven project if I remember right.

Oh yeah, I installed Toys Drive, but I have no idea how to start the game.

PK Gaming

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

It's good to be a part of such a warm community (I think i'd go crazy if I couldn't talk about the episodes I watched)

Only thing left to do now is pick a Love Live avatar. This is surely going to be more difficult than the Love Live! Idol Festival itself...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Factually, in terms of R cards, Honkers is God tier.

Her Smile R is the best of the initial muse cards, even when un-idolised.

Crescent-

Factually, in terms of R cards, Honkers is God tier.

Her Smile R is the best of the initial muse cards, even when un-idolised.

Actually it is the strongest out of all Rs (even in JP) in terms of scoring because the only 2 cards which trumps her in raw stats (korekara Rin with her 4090 smile and snow halation Maki with 4090 cool) are a healer and perfect lock. So the loss in stats should be offset by Honker's scorer ability.

We'll see if any of the Yume no Tobira Rs beat her in stats and ability.

Crescent-

Is the event Umi's ability able to proc twice if there's 2 star notes on a double note?

For example there are 3 double notes on Kimi no Kuse ni hard which are also star notes

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is the event Umi's ability able to proc twice if there's 2 star notes on a double note?

For example there are 3 double notes on Kimi no Kuse ni hard which are also star notes
Well seeing as double notes are still counted separately (you can sometimes notice you can get a perfect/great if you didn't tap them both perfectly at the same time) I'd assume her power would activate twice.

PK Gaming

It's a shame my android's dead, I would have loved to get in on some LL action.

I'm a data fiend so i'd be all over idol cards. Character specific abilities? Oh man, oh man.

Lot's of anime that aren't on CrunchyRoll too.
stream wise I know of:

youtube: I watch some stuff on there, but gundam (and now barakamon) are the only ones I know about on there that's free
hulu: meh I'll just watch it on Netflix
Netflix: meh crunchyroll has better subs visually
funimation: I'm not subscribed

about torrents: the whole point of my post was that streams are easy and I'm too lazy these days to torrent things

totp?!?!? TIME TO PICTURIZE AND ADVERTISE

PLAYERS OF LOVE LIVE, SCHOOL IDOL FESTIVAL: WHAT ARE YOU DOING? STOP SPENDING MONEY ON VIRTUAL CARDS AND SPEND IT ON ACTUAL CARDS

Weiss Schwarz, the anime vs anime collectible card game (CCG) has released love live set one in English the same month as SIF. This coming June (July?) they will release the expansion set, School Idol Festival~~~

Set 1 examples:

SIF Expansion examples:

kaiyo

stream wise I know of:

youtube: I watch some stuff on there, but gundam (and now barakamon) are the only ones I know about on there that's free
hulu: meh I'll just watch it on Netflix
Netflix: meh crunchyroll has better subs visually
funimation: I'm not subscribed

about torrents: the whole point of my post was that streams are easy and I'm too lazy these days to torrent things
Theres lots of illegal anime streaming sites, just have to google. Most have HD streams now equivalent to about 720p on CR. I haven't torrented for several years now.

Good time to go back to bed to sleep some more hours! Those are the newgen Aikatsu girls.

The bechdel test whats the point of that. It only works one way?
Just glancing quickly at a post and paraphrasing it, a point about that test is to see if the media is portraying that females exist. Which apparently a lot of media fails to do.

m0t0k1

Just glancing quickly at a post and paraphrasing it, a point about that test is to see if the media is portraying that females exist. Which apparently a lot of media fails to do.

Yeah i understand that. But why is it only towards females? In LL there are no boys except for some background characters and Honokas dad. They don't even talk to eachother is there a name for that also? But is it really that bad in the movie industry that there is a need for this test? I rarely watch movies these days so i am not sure why the need of this test is so important. That was more my question :p

Top Bottom