• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love Live! School Idol Festival |OT2| Despair comes in a pink envelope

Yeah i understand that. But why is it only towards females? In LL there are no boys except for some background characters and Honokas dad. They don't even talk to eachother is there a name for that also? But is it really that bad in the movie industry that there is a need for this test? I rarely watch movies these days so i am not sure why the need of this test is so important. That was more my question :p
most/almost all media is by guys for guys and doesn't not treat females respectfully

m0t0k1

most/almost all media is by guys for guys and doesn't not treat females respectfully

I see.But the reason why people make those female unfriendly is because it sells. Which raises the question is it really unfriendly towards females itself or just some sort of fantasy where people just love to be offended?

Most TV is pretty segmented over here. You have channels catering to male taste. With Motor sport, Football and action movies etc. and channels catering to female taste. They show Love comedy movies, fashion programs and some gossip shows etc. of course there are also channels you wanna watch with the whole family guess that is why i didn't see the point in such tests. Also raises my point what is treating respectfully? As long as the person on camera is agreeing with what is happening on the show and are adults i see no problems with it .

Plenty of ruthless fashion programs where they shit all over somebody because of the outfit or pit girls in the motor sport with skimpy outfits. All comes down to the motivation behind it. The reason why the guy is doing that in fashion program is mostly to look better? Or to get more confidence in himself? and the pit girls maybe loves to get attention? or like to experience the cars from up close?

I judge people based on what they do as a person and not on what gender they have or see all people of that gender the same way. If they enjoy themselves or have some other kind of motivation why not? Guess some people are more accepting over it then others. The world would really be a better place if everybody was more trying to accept then trying to be offended. At least that is my view on tests like that.
This is probably getting really of topic :p I shall just make some joke replies from now on.

edit: i am not saying you say this owly but more as an overall perspective on media as a whole. I do have an interest in these kind of stuff maybe that is why i rambled on :p

Himemiya

agjyFzW.png

Dude it's just a fictional lesbian (see why it's only about females?) in an old comic saying she only watches movies with women characters in it who don't only talk about guys, which isn't a lot to ask. This concept blew up and became a "test" and a household name because mainstream films have shown that it is too much to expect. Lmao...

Media studies is one of my majors but I don't want to go on and on about the rest of your post here. Kayo-chin hold me.

PK Gaming

Love Live! 10

IT'S A BEACH EPISODE

♪Bright rays from the sun
Girl frolicking on the beach
Summer has arrived
♪

Beach episodes are usually a total toss up for me. Either they're really, really good or laden with so much fanservice to the point where it turns me off. Thankfully, Love Live struck a pretty awesome balance here. There was all kinds of fun to be had in this episode. From the super cute antics at the beach, to the hilarious slumber party, this episode fully kept me engaged from the word "go." The pillow fight was definitely the highlight of the entire experience; pillow fights are usually pretty lame, but there was no way I wouldn't like this. The entire set up was just brilliant (Nozomi is such a trickster). So yeah, this episode was pretty cool. I liked how Eli wanted to break down their social barriers to increase team unity, and the extended focus on Maki (who's been sort of hanging out there for a while) was extra nice. She's somewhat close with her fellow first years, but she's not really close with the rest of the gang. It was cool of Nozomi to get her to integrate with the group more. I swear, it almost as if they...

t1yyRwX.png

Ah

Current party status: 9 members (COMPLETE)
Idol Level: Super Highschool Level Idols
Current favorite: Nico-Nico-ni is still queen, while Trickster Nozomi and Coolgirl Maki are neck and neck. Leader Honoka's in fourth.

m0t0k1

Dude it's just a fictional lesbian (see why it's only about females?) in an old comic saying she only watches movies with women characters in it who don't only talk about guys, which isn't a lot to ask. This concept blew up and became a "test" and a household name because mainstream films have shown that it is too much to expect. Lmao...

Media studies is one of my majors but I don't want to go on and on about the rest of your post here. Kayo-chin hold me.

there there....
tumblr_inline_nbpszo9uwp1rf2wmz.png

I just wanted to know the origin and gave my opinion about the test. Only using LL as an example of the opposite of the bechdel test. I never implied anything with it except that. No need to go all out.

The bechdel test is extremely simplistic and does not have the capacity to give credence to whether a piece of media conforms to feminism (or w/e it's supposed to prove, I'm not entirely sure myself). However, it is pretty sad that many films, television shows and video games fail the first requirement (is there more than one female character?). Video games have gotten better about creating female characters with prominent roles (Tomb Raider/Alien Isolation where the protagonist is a woman, The Last of Us with Ellie as Joel's companion) but the majority of games still feature mostly men. The problem stems from the fact that the majority of game developers are male. In my general computer science class of 100+ people there were maybe five women and in my game development class it is 100% male with 1 woman dropping out after two weeks.

The whole controversy of gamer's gate is such an embarrassment surrounding the feminism in gaming topic. There are still so many men that believe that gaming is a boy's only club and would prefer it stay that way. With all the attacks on women these past few months I guess it's no surprise women stay away and fear becoming part of the game industry. The trend of male dominate games doesn't look it will be changing any time soon.

As for Japanese developed games or anime many shows/games feature women of equal or greater amount in the cast. However most of these characters are written for a male audience with fan service or some endearing trait that appeals more to men. These characters are created to satiate the "waifu" demographic and most are poor examples of a strong character.

As for Love Live I believe it does a decent job characterizing each character with their own personality that could be appealing to both men and women. Sure there is some "waifu" traits that could be attributed to some of the character design but it doesn't drown out the rest of the characterization that makes each character unique and endearing.

Coinstar is a bummer. I went to turn a jar of change into gift cards, they can do iTunes gift cards but not Google Play cards. I had almost $70 in change, wanted to turn that into idorus. I had to settle for Amazon gift cards instead.

JoeFu

Banned
Coinstar is a bummer. I went to turn a jar of change into gift cards, they can do iTunes gift cards but not Google Play cards. I had almost $70 in change, wanted to turn that into idorus. I had to settle for Amazon gift cards instead.

aww man that sucks.

Yay! I got my first idolized Muse gal! It's Rin, though. Nya~

I still don't have any Maki in my power, and that is bothering me. At least I have, like, two Eris and three Nicos, so it's still good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
stream wise I know of:

youtube: I watch some stuff on there, but gundam (and now barakamon) are the only ones I know about on there that's free
hulu: meh I'll just watch it on Netflix
Netflix: meh crunchyroll has better subs visually
funimation: I'm not subscribed

about torrents: the whole point of my post was that streams are easy and I'm too lazy these days to torrent things

totp?!?!? TIME TO PICTURIZE AND ADVERTISE

PLAYERS OF LOVE LIVE, SCHOOL IDOL FESTIVAL: WHAT ARE YOU DOING? STOP SPENDING MONEY ON VIRTUAL CARDS AND SPEND IT ON ACTUAL CARDS

Weiss Schwarz, the anime vs anime collectible card game (CCG) has released love live set one in English the same month as SIF. This coming June (July?) they will release the expansion set, School Idol Festival~~~

Set 1 examples:
SIF Expansion examples:

Real life CCGs are a dark and disturbing path to walk down. lol

The bechdel test is extremely simplistic and does not have the capacity to give credence to whether a piece of media conforms to feminism (or w/e it's supposed to prove, I'm not entirely sure myself). However, it is pretty sad that many films, television shows and video games fail the first requirement (is there more than one female character?). Video games have gotten better about creating female characters with prominent roles (Tomb Raider/Alien Isolation where the protagonist is a woman, The Last of Us with Ellie as Joel's companion) but the majority of games still feature mostly men. The problem stems from the fact that the majority of game developers are male. In my general computer science class of 100+ people there were maybe five women and in my game development class it is 100% male with 1 woman dropping out after two weeks.

The whole controversy of gamer's gate is such an embarrassment surrounding the feminism in gaming topic. There are still so many men that believe that gaming is a boy's only club and would prefer it stay that way. With all the attacks on women these past few months I guess it's no surprise women stay away and fear becoming part of the game industry. The trend of male dominate games doesn't look it will be changing any time soon.

As for Japanese developed games or anime many shows/games feature women of equal or greater amount in the cast. However most of these characters are written for a male audience with fan service or some endearing trait that appeals more to men. These characters are created to satiate the "waifu" demographic and most are poor examples of a strong character.

As for Love Live I believe it does a decent job characterizing each character with their own personality that could be appealing to both men and women. Sure there is some "waifu" traits that could be attributed to some of the character design but it doesn't drown out the rest of the characterization that makes each character unique and endearing.

The point of the Bechdel test is to point out that most media is written by men, for men, told through a man's perspective. The reason why it works is because it's a simple test to show how the media fails in that regard.

You can probably do the same with race though, where the demographics of places like America don't really represent the demographics of the cast of tv shows/films.

As for Love Live, I don't think it's deniable that they are made to be appealing to men. It'll be a happy accident if they are written well enough to go beyond that appeal (like with the Keions). You look at the concert DVDs and you see that, at least for those performances, most of the fans are male. The same goes with Im@s and everything else really.

Apharmd

I know a lot of female Love Live fans in real life and they're crazy as hell. Heck, when I look through AmiAmi and other places, I see lots of LL merch targeted towards girls. Truthfully, I can understand the popularity considering the show is good and the game itself is great.

Incidentally, hi LLGAF! I've lurked for awhile and posted about a technical issue here but I want to start sharing my joys and sorrows more regularly. I'm glad someone else is starting to watch the anime with me as it's much better than it had any right to be (and I typically hate moe anime)

And I need to talk about it with people SO BAD.

Yui

I just realised the EN event ends in like 30(?) hours and I'm still sitting on ~3000 tokens without having Umi yet...
What am I even doing...

At least I got Nico earlier today lol...

Incidentally, hi LLGAF! I've lurked for awhile and posted about a technical issue here but I want to start sharing my joys and sorrows more regularly.

Welcome! :D
again?

The point of the Bechdel test is to point out that most media is written by men, for men, told through a man's perspective. The reason why it works is because it's a simple test to show how the media fails in that regard.

You can probably do the same with race though, where the demographics of places like America don't really represent the demographics of the cast of tv shows/films.

As for Love Live, I don't think it's deniable that they are made to be appealing to men. It'll be a happy accident if they are written well enough to go beyond that appeal (like with the Keions). You look at the concert DVDs and you see that, at least for those performances, most of the fans are male. The same goes with Im@s and everything else really.

Ah thank you for explaining the purpose of the Bechdel test.

I think equal representation of gender is a more hot button topic than race because half the population is female while there are many different races and it's much harder to be inclusive. Of course that doesn't excuse the fact that American media is predominately white.

There is no denying that Love Live is targeted towards a male Japanese audience. However I believe there is enough appeal for a female audience. Of course the term idol comes from the english word, an idol inspires confidence and adoration in others. The live outfits are cute and fashionable, the girls are hard working and there is no drama over men (because the lack of any lol). I may be way off base (I am male) but I think there is enough qualities in Love Live to have universal appeal. And it's not like there are no female Love Live fans, we have some on this very board.

JoeFu

Banned
LL has those weird male gaze shots that always seemed out of place. Whenever they zoom in on their legs, or lips or whatever. Always found it kinda funny.

LL has those weird male gaze shots that always seemed out of place. Whenever they zoom in on their legs, or lips or whatever. Always found it kinda funny.
That stuff never resonated with me other than Nozomi's shtick as more fanservicey than what is found in other anime. A poor comparison I guess since anime is full of fanservice.

I believe you did a presentation or something over female representation in media right? I never did leave my feedback on it.

Anyone have a link? I wouldn't mind reading this.

Mokoi

Banned
Incidentally, hi LLGAF! I've lurked for awhile and posted about a technical issue here but I want to start sharing my joys and sorrows more regularly. I'm glad someone else is starting to watch the anime with me as it's much better than it had any right to be (and I typically hate moe anime)
Welcome to hell.
Also uguu.
Need firehawk to drop a link again. If I recall correctly he posted about it in one of the old animu threads.

Ceris

Neo Member
I just realised the EN event ends in like 30(?) hours and I'm still sitting on ~3000 tokens without having Umi yet...
What am I even doing...

I spent 4000 in a row yesterday, I nearly fell asleep from the softness of the song...

How's everyone's crazy tiered Umi event going? I've spent 39 gems so far, which nets me a current ranking of 72nd with 46842 event points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah thank you for explaining the purpose of the Bechdel test.

I think equal representation of gender is a more hot button topic than race because half the population is female while there are many different races and it's much harder to be inclusive. Of course that doesn't excuse the fact that American media is predominately white.

There is no denying that Love Live is targeted towards a male Japanese audience. However I believe there is enough appeal for a female audience. Of course the term idol comes from the english word, an idol inspires confidence and adoration in others. The live outfits are cute and fashionable, the girls are hard working and there is no drama over men (because the lack of any lol). I may be way off base (I am male) but I think there is enough qualities in Love Live to have universal appeal. And it's not like there are no female Love Live fans, we have some on this very board.
I just think like AKB48, the audience is targeted directly to men. I have no idea if the LL voice actresses are forced to subject themselves to handshake events, but I am going to imagine that if they did, they aren't meeting a lot of female fans. lol

I mean, I will say that it's not like Love Live is like Senran Kagura or whatever. There are definitely worse shows that feature all female casts and are decidedly more geared toward a male audience.

That stuff never resonated with me other than Nozomi's shtick as more fanservicey than what is found in other anime. A poor comparison I guess since anime is full of fanservice.

The flip side is K-On, which outside of the two beach episodes (when the show wasn't "good" in season 1), doesn't really have fanservice in that kind of way.

Also, link below:
I believe you did a presentation or something over female representation in media right? I never did leave my feedback on it.
Oh right! I touch a bit on it at the end, but my main focus was on male gaze:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ja3b08iqg90q6k/Seminar 4.pptx?dl=0

JoeFu

Banned
I just think like AKB48, the audience is targeted directly to men. I have no idea if the LL voice actresses are forced to subject themselves to handshake events, but I am going to imagine that if they did, they aren't meeting a lot of female fans. lol

I mean, I will say that it's not like Love Live is like Senran Kagura or whatever. There are definitely worse shows that feature all female casts and are decidedly more geared toward a male audience.

The flip side is K-On, which outside of the two beach episodes (when the show wasn't "good" in season 1), doesn't really have fanservice in that kind of way.

Also, link below:

Oh right! I touch a bit on it at the end, but my main focus was on male gaze:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ja3b08iqg90q6k/Seminar 4.pptx?dl=0

serious lack of animu in your presentation

fek

This was published in the August 2010 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine, some are a little painful to read:

Honoka - Nice to meet you! I'm Kousaka Honoka, 16 years old. We are here to protect our school from getting closed in two years. To tell the truth, I'm not sure if a girl with nothing special like me can become an idol, but!! I think if I don't try, nothing will start. I will try harder than anyone else. Please support us!

Eli - Hi! A fun pastime? If you feel even a bit bored, come get excited with us♥! Ayase Eli, 17. I never learned about dancing or singing, but I'm pretty capable so from here on I will get better! Look forward to it, ok? Until now I never got serious about anything, but this time for sure. I feel like I will be really serious about it.

Umi - My name is Sonoda Umi, my parents gave me this name because they want me to become a woman with a wide heart that stretches endlessly like the sea. I'm 16 years old. I don't have much confidence in dancing and I have always studied in girl's schools so I probably don't understand boys feelings very well, but since I'm doing it I'm aiming to be the best so I will work hard with all my might. If even unintentionally, just for an instant, you could remember of me, I will be happy.

Maki - Maki,15 years old♥ In the future, I'm supposed to follow my parents steps and be a doctor, so honestly I don't have any time for idol activities, but being so cute wouldn't it be a waste to not be an idol? So for now, as a memory of youth, I'm joining ♥ My hobby is shopping, the thing I want the most right now is a big brother, and I'm very skilled in legs split, and then.. an appeal point.. Ah, even looking like this I never had a boyfriend in 15 years!

Kotori - I don't have any confidence in being an idol, but to work together with everyone I decided to join. People say I'm a bit spacy and clumsy, so I will work hard to not hold everyone back. I love singing and dancing so I will practice very hard♥ Would be nice if I can make everyone happy.

Hanayo - Hm.. I.. I'm Koizumi Hanayo, 15 years old, everyone calls me Kayochin. Err.. I.. I got a little nervous, what should I do... S-Sorry! Deep breath, deep breath. I love to listen to others but to tell the truth I'm not very used to talk myself.. If you are ok with me like that, I will sing for you with all my effort.

Rin - I have confidence in my sprint and strength, I'm Hoshizora Rin, 15 years old! The sports I'm skilled the most are hurdling and soccer, probably nya? I'm not tall and beauty, but I'm very energetic! So I want to share this energy with everyone ♥ I always get late and I'm a bit of a crybaby but... if you are willing to support me I will be happy! In return, I will do anything I can ☆

Nozomi - Lately, power spots have been getting popular, but did you know people have plenty of this spiritual power as well? In my opinion, Idols have a lot of this power and they share it with people. So, starting from now, I will be sending my power so receive it properly! With my Nozomi Power you will have great things today ♥ And from now, let's work hard!

Nico - I'm Yazawa Nico. Nice to meet you. I love and I'm pretty good at fashion so being an idol I'm looking forward to wear a lot of cute costumes. I'm not very good at singing, but I will cover it with my smile ♥ Ehe, just kidding ♥ If you could tell me which costumes you think will look good on me, I will be very happy! I will be waiting for it!

I actually forgot about that SID manga adaption. That was from earlier this year? Have they released a volume yet? Actually it might be too soon for that.
They're both published in the same magazine I think. As well as having the same author. That's kinda confusing.

I suppose the History of Love Live book probably covers a lot. Must be quite interesting since Love Live is a fan driven project if I remember right.

Oh yeah, I installed Toys Drive, but I have no idea how to start the game.
SID manga does have one full volume released in september, I got it myself. Yeah I think they are both published in the same magazine, the Dengeki G's Comic. Sometimes I buy that when it has a nice bonus, I think I have a recent volume I could check if it really has both

JoeFu

Banned
Still reading through it, but lol at the male gaze techniques video when the animu just takes it to a new level with the sparkles and shit.

haikyuu or whatever lol. I remember that scene didn't make sense to even zoom in on her booty.

Yui

Eli - Hi! A fun pastime? If you feel even a bit bored, come get excited with us♥! Ayase Eli, 17.
I never learned about dancing or singing, but I'm pretty capable so from here on I will get better! Look forward to it, ok?
Until now I never got serious about anything, but this time for sure. I feel like I will be really serious about it.
Wait, so they completely redid Eli? And the original plan was to make her that pretty blond girl that never really tried before?
*mindblown
Maki - ....but being so cute wouldn't it be a waste to not be an idol?
... I'm very skilled in legs split, and then.. an appeal point.. Ah, even looking like this I never had a boyfriend in 15 years!

Wow...
I guess I should appreciate the current Maki a lot more.

thx for that fek

PK Gaming

This was published in the August 2010 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine, some are a little painful to read:

Honoka - Nice to meet you! I'm Kousaka Honoka, 16 years old. We are here to protect our school from getting closed in two years. To tell the truth, I'm not sure if a girl with nothing special like me can become an idol, but!! I think if I don't try, nothing will start. I will try harder than anyone else. Please support us!

Eli - Hi! A fun pastime? If you feel even a bit bored, come get excited with us♥! Ayase Eli, 17. I never learned about dancing or singing, but I'm pretty capable so from here on I will get better! Look forward to it, ok? Until now I never got serious about anything, but this time for sure. I feel like I will be really serious about it.

Umi - My name is Sonoda Umi, my parents gave me this name because they want me to become a woman with a wide heart that stretches endlessly like the sea. I'm 16 years old. I don't have much confidence in dancing and I have always studied in girl's schools so I probably don't understand boys feelings very well, but since I'm doing it I'm aiming to be the best so I will work hard with all my might. If even unintentionally, just for an instant, you could remember of me, I will be happy.

Maki - Maki,15 years old♥ In the future, I'm supposed to follow my parents steps and be a doctor, so honestly I don't have any time for idol activities, but being so cute wouldn't it be a waste to not be an idol? So for now, as a memory of youth, I'm joining ♥ My hobby is shopping, the thing I want the most right now is a big brother, and I'm very skilled in legs split, and then.. an appeal point.. Ah, even looking like this I never had a boyfriend in 15 years!

Kotori - I don't have any confidence in being an idol, but to work together with everyone I decided to join. People say I'm a bit spacy and clumsy, so I will work hard to not hold everyone back. I love singing and dancing so I will practice very hard♥ Would be nice if I can make everyone happy.

Hanayo - Hm.. I.. I'm Koizumi Hanayo, 15 years old, everyone calls me Kayochin. Err.. I.. I got a little nervous, what should I do... S-Sorry! Deep breath, deep breath. I love to listen to others but to tell the truth I'm not very used to talk myself.. If you are ok with me like that, I will sing for you with all my effort.

Rin - I have confidence in my sprint and strength, I'm Hoshizora Rin, 15 years old! The sports I'm skilled the most are hurdling and soccer, probably nya? I'm not tall and beauty, but I'm very energetic! So I want to share this energy with everyone ♥ I always get late and I'm a bit of a crybaby but... if you are willing to support me I will be happy! In return, I will do anything I can ☆

Nozomi - Lately, power spots have been getting popular, but did you know people have plenty of this spiritual power as well? In my opinion, Idols have a lot of this power and they share it with people. So, starting from now, I will be sending my power so receive it properly! With my Nozomi Power you will have great things today ♥ And from now, let's work hard!

Nico - I'm Yazawa Nico. Nice to meet you. I love and I'm pretty good at fashion so being an idol I'm looking forward to wear a lot of cute costumes. I'm not very good at singing, but I will cover it with my smile ♥ Ehe, just kidding ♥ If you could tell me which costumes you think will look good on me, I will be very happy! I will be waiting for it!

SID manga does have one full volume released in september, I got it myself. Yeah I think they are both published in the same magazine, the Dengeki G's Comic. Sometimes I buy that when it has a nice bonus, I think I have a recent volume I could check if it really has both

Thanks for doing this.

Wow, they sound like actual idols. It's interesting how some characters diverged (goddamn, old Eli was...), while others stayed the relatively the same.

Nozomi power, GET

JoeFu

Banned
lol those character bio's are so boring. No wonder LL didn't really gain any traction til the anime. What the heck.

Jintor

Nico being a two-faced little adorable shitbag is definitely her most appealing personality. If she was straight up sugar-sweet she wouldn't be nearly as cute.

PK Gaming

This is a longshot, but here goes

Does anyone have link to some of the ingame Love Live! events? There are probably tons, and I feel like catching a few

Hugstable

Banned

ibyNxuI2OWlvCg.gif

Top Bottom