• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy VII

First I was like: yeah yeah, the game is probably overhyped, I‘ve played the remake, didn‘t bother much with the story, but how good can a 27 year old game be? I mean look at these graphics, pop-eye characters everywhere and even the CGI scenes look horrible for todays standards.

Then I was like: well, ok, I already knew that a character will die, as this plot is one of the most spoiled plots in the history of video games. But yeah, apart from that, story is pretty average.

And at the end with all the plot twists with Cloud I was like: holy cow, it IS one of the best games ever made. The materia system is awesome, the characters are fantastic, everyone has their own interesting background story (except Cait Sith but let‘s be honest, that character is just there because the game needed a weird one), all the twists in the story, the amazing chapter in which Tifa and Cloud fall into the life stream, the timeless topic of world vs. ressource hungry companies, which we‘re still facing today irl, the final battle, just everything about the game is awesome.

I finished FFX for the first time before I went to FF7 this year, and even though I have nostalgia for FFX I‘d struggle deciding which game is better.

Yeah, the graphics aren‘t up to date, but who gives a damn about graphics if the story is so well done as in FF7?

For any fan of the remake, I‘d highly suggest going back to the original and don‘t stress the old graphics too much, this game won‘t impress anyone graphically, but story and gameplaywise they‘ve done everything right back in '97.

I kinda envy the people who played it when it released originally and I finally understand everyone who says FF7 is the best game ever made. It was a magnificent ride, and it was just the beginning for me to explore the FF7 universe.

SkylineRKR

Its a great game, but a bit too dated for me unlike the FFVIII and FFIX Remaster.

However, its far better than the remakes. For starters its a full game with beginning and end, which means you keep your progress until the very end. You can min max by morphing enemies for those stat boost items. You can manipulate the AI and your loadout to activate Lucky 7. You have to hunt chocobos and check if they're the correct ones. You can make Blue, green, black and gold chocobos but its completely optional. The game doesn't have an overkill of minigames. A few are story related, and the rest is in the saucer. Basically, I had a ton of fun finding all the ultimate weapons, ultimate limits, enemy skills and materia.

I also feel the original had a much better atmosphere. Its quite bleak when it needs to. There isn't a Sephiroth appearing every 5 minutes blabbering some gibberish. There isn't a Chadley sending you voice messages every minute. Its more concealed, more personal and works better as a globe trotting adventure, imo. Rebirth was fun mind you, but felt like a tribute game. I just don't know, I prefer the imagination the original gave you about this world and characters. I certainly wasn't asking for Roche, Chadley, Leslie and all that trash.

Right now I wish they had HD 2D'd this game like they did Star Ocean 2. It would've been out sooner, and it would've been complete. But they can still do this after the third part is out, like, why not.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
First I was like: yeah yeah, the game is probably overhyped, I‘ve played the remake, didn‘t bother much with the story, but how good can a 27 year old game be? I mean look at these graphics, pop-eye characters everywhere and even the CGI scenes look horrible for todays standards.

Then I was like: well, ok, I already knew that a character will die, as this plot is one of the most spoiled plots in the history of video games. But yeah, apart from that, story is pretty average.

And at the end with all the plot twists with Cloud I was like: holy cow, it IS one of the best games ever made. The materia system is awesome, the characters are fantastic, everyone has their own interesting background story (except Cait Sith but let‘s be honest, that character is just there because the game needed a weird one), all the twists in the story, the amazing chapter in which Tifa and Cloud fall into the life stream, the timeless topic of world vs. ressource hungry companies, which we‘re still facing today irl, the final battle, just everything about the game is awesome.

I finished FFX for the first time before I went to FF7 this year, and even though I have nostalgia for FFX I‘d struggle deciding which game is better.

Yeah, the graphics aren‘t up to date, but who gives a damn about graphics if the story is so well done as in FF7?

For any fan of the remake, I‘d highly suggest going back to the original and don‘t stress the old graphics too much, this game won‘t impress anyone graphically, but story and gameplaywise they‘ve done everything right back in '97.

I kinda envy the people who played it when it released originally and I finally understand everyone who says FF7 is the best game ever made. It was a magnificent ride, and it was just the beginning for me to explore the FF7 universe.

If they had remade FFVII with the graphics of FFX, It would have been the perfect game for me.

7 takes a slight nod for me over X, probably because of some of the parts in X that drag, but both are top 5 RPGs for me.

Top Bottom