• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Rurouni Kenshin TV series, Also WHERE is the Jinchu Arc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm going through Rurouni Kenshin TV series for the very first time and all I can say is it is 100% BADASS!! But, having just completed the Kyoto arc and now on ep 68, it seems all the episodes are now fillers, and from I've been told, it's going to stay that way :( Now I'm hearing that the manga contains another crucial and pivitol arc to the story, called the Jinchu arc(revenge arc). Why hasn't this arc been animated yet?

With renewed interest in Rurouni Kenshin thanks to the live action movie wouldn't it make sense for the anime production company Studio Deen to continue the anime?

Have you guys read the Jinchu arc in the manga? How good is it? Better than the Kyoto arc? I hate when studios do this :(

WHERE is the Jinchu Arc?

You could start by running to the room of the three gargoyles. Push in the right tongue and a door might lead you down a staircase into the wall climb. Here, you must choose your next path. You could race up to the observatory, spin the sundial and pass into the room of the golden idols. Once there, push down on their faces to release the doors, that may take you below or lead you into the shrine of the silver monkey. Assemble the statue there and you may be headed for the torch room. If the elevator is up, you could jump into the elevator and descend into the mineshaft. You might climb up the ladder or plow through the stone wall. Find the key and it may unlock the tombs of the ancient kings, allowing you to climb into the spider's lair. If you escape, you may have a chance to sit upon the throne of the Pretender. If the correct door is unlocked, you'll be able to crawl into pit of despair and finally make you way through the cave of size, back to the temple gate. The choices are yours and yours alone. Good luck!

tumblr_lq9n9wrelS1qj0jgso1_500.gif

Fun fact: I was cleaning my old boxes today and found an opened DVD set of Samurai X; that's the same as this series, right?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I really want a reboot or just Jinchu. Hope the movies do well and they go for it.

Peff

There is a VERY brief snippet of the final fight in one of the OVAs, but yeah, at least for now you'll have to read it, and even if they do animate it chances are it won't be a particularly fantastic adaptation like the Kyoto retelling. It's not quite as good or focused as the Kyoto arc and it gets a bit overextended so that all the main characters get their chance to shine, but it's still a good read with some great moments.

Do watch the old OVAs, though. The optimistic, uplifting tone of the rest of the series is completely gone, but it's a fascinating take on the show, not to mention visually spectacular.

The Jinchū arc is great, but the best part (the big flashback) was covered in Trust & Betrayal anyway, and we all know how great that is. Honestly, I think the fights were better in Kyoto arc, especially the final battle.

I thought that was just for the OVAs? the old Media Blasters volumes were always Rurouni Kenshin...
Sony did an english dub of the TV series (which they titled Samurai X) previous to the one that aired on Toonami. It isn't very good. It actually has a lot of the same voice actors but they're in different roles, it just doesnt work

dan2026

Ugh Ruroni Kenshin, such a great manga and has been fucked in animation so many times.

Don't animate the final arc and cancel the series.

A load of awful OVAs that even the manga author has decried as garbage.

andymcc

Banned
I liked Jinchuu better than Kyoto, but I don't know what the consensus is. You should read the manga, either way.

Honestly, even the Kyoto arc is even sort of mishandled in the anime. So many instances of stopped frames and dumb light effects in lieu of action.

How many times can Aoshi go into a monologue where he just repeats ALL of the names of the Oniwa Banshuu?

The padding makes the fights almost exhausting to watch at times...

Mumei

Ugh Ruroni Kenshin, such a great manga and has been fucked in animation so many times.

Don't animate the final arc and cancel the series.

A load of awful OVAs that even the manga author has decried as garbage.

I thought that he'd only said that about Reflection?

Necrovex

I liked Jinchuu better than Kyoto, but I don't know what the consensus is. You should read the manga, either way.

I'm of the same opinion. I recall having fonder opinions of the Jinchuu arc than the Kyoto arc. But I haven't read the series since '07.

I read the Jinchu arc fairly recently, and it's pretty good, but not as amazing as I've heard it be hyped up as. It indeed does meander about a lot, including an irrelevant mini-arc about Sanosuke, and the way a certain plot point is handled is a bit questionable. However, it does feature Kenshin fighting both Venom and Apocalypse; the plot point I mentioned isn't handled as badly as it could have been, since Kenshin develops past it before learning the truth; and the fights were pretty good, I thought, outside of the last side-character fights against that one guy's bodyguards. I'd say it's definitely worth reading.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Let me ask you guys an honest and objective question....

Upon watching the TV series for the very first time, were any of you hoping that Kenhin would turn into full blown Battousai Manslayer mode once he reached Kyoto? I had heard so much about how the Kyoto arc is much more violent than the previous 28 episodes, and how Kenshin turns into a serious badass. Now don't get me wrong, the serious does get a bit darker, and kenshin shows more of his serious side, but I was expecting something along the way that would make him a crazed Battousai man hunting lunatic, slicing and dicing his way through hordes of men like butter.

I felt kinda disappointed he never actually killed anyone, and never used a traditional Japanese sword. I wanted absolute carnage from this man! I was honestly expecting Ninja Scroll levels of gore. It was very frustrating to see his eyes turn yellow and be right on the verge of turning into Battousai, only for something trivial to happen that would stop him.

When he went to his master and learned how to control his inner feelings on how to keep from turning into the manslayer, I knew he it was all over. Any chance of slicing dozens of opponents went out the window. He would continue using the reverse blade and stick to his rule of not killing anybody, so I was a bit disappointed with that. Shishio deserved to be sliced to bits :(

andymcc

Banned

Upon watching the TV series for the very first time, were any of you hoping that Kenhin would turn into full blown Battousai Manslayer mode once he reached Kyoto? I had heard so much about how the Kyoto arc is much more violent than the previous 28 episodes, and how Kenshin turns into a serious badass. Now don't get me wrong, the serious does get a bit darker, and kenshin shows more of his serious side, but I was expecting something along the way that would make him a crazed Battousai man hunting lunatic, slicing and dicing his way through hordes of men like butter.

I felt kinda disappointed he never actually killed anyone, and never used a traditional Japanese sword. I wanted absolute carnage from this man! I was honestly expecting Ninja Scroll levels of gore. It was very frustrating to see his eyes turn yellow and be right on the verge of turning into Battousai, only for something trivial to happen that would stop him.

When he went to his master and learned how to control his inner feelings on how to keep from turning into the manslayer, I knew he it was all over. Any chance of slicing dozens of opponents went out the window. He would continue using the reverse blade and stick to his rule of not killing anybody, so I was a bit disappointed with that. Shishio deserved to be sliced to bits :(

Have you watched the OVAs?

Seems like they'll be right up your alley if that's what you were expecting.

I never wanted to see that from him actually. Kenshin is a show that I enjoyed due to the fact that it stuck to it's theme of love, friendship, and mercy overcoming.

However if you do want to see Kenshin in full Battousai mode, look for the OVA's. "Trust" and "Betrayal" where their english titles. You might find them separate or together as a single movie.

dan2026

No you completely missed the point of Kenshin's character.

He gave up killing after the Tomoe's death.
Kenshin murdering again would be a betrayal of everything he stood for.
He isn't anybody's killer any more. That's the point.

Ganhyun

You could start by running to the room of the three gargoyles. Push in the right tongue and a door might lead you down a staircase into the wall climb. Here, you must choose your next path. You could race up to the observatory, spin the sundial and pass into the room of the golden idols. Once there, push down on their faces to release the doors, that may take you below or lead you into the shrine of the silver monkey. Assemble the statue there and you may be headed for the torch room. If the elevator is up, you could jump into the elevator and descend into the mineshaft. You might climb up the ladder or plow through the stone wall. Find the key and it may unlock the tombs of the ancient kings, allowing you to climb into the spider's lair. If you escape, you may have a chance to sit upon the throne of the Pretender. If the correct door is unlocked, you'll be able to crawl into pit of despair and finally make you way through the cave of size, back to the temple gate. The choices are yours and yours alone. Good luck!

tumblr_lq9n9wrelS1qj0jgso1_500.gif

Fun fact: I was cleaning my old boxes today and found an opened DVD set of Samurai X; that's the same as this series, right?

I loved Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Also, I wish they would do the missing arc as well. I remember this being on Toonami back in the day.

No you completely missed the point of Kenshin's character.

He gave up killing after the Tomoe's death.
Kenshin murdering again would be a betrayal of everything he stood for.
He isn't anybody's killer any more. That's the point

I put your post in spoilers because he may not have seen that yet as it wasn't apart of the series. So perhaps you should spoiler you original post as well?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Rorouni Kenshin is my favourite and it pains me to see that it got a subpar animé adaptation, barring the Kyoto arc which was amazing.

I long for the day of it getting another animé adaptation something akin to Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

No because what you're describing isn't something that what Kenshin wants to be nor will it fit in his character. Remember Kenshin carries the regret of slaying anybody and knows if he kill again then that's it there's no going back to the life of a Rurouni and he becomes a Battousai once more.

If you want to see Kenshin slicing and dicing people may I suggest reading the Jinchū arc it has a flash back saga showing him killing people and why he turned his back on being the Battousai.

Fair enough. But I think spoilers from a series that finished over 15 years ago is a bit much.

I generally agree with you here but it is a LTTP thread, so it will inevitably have posters who are new to the manga/show/ova's and probably wouldn't want to be spoiled.

dan2026

On a different note, has anyone seen any of the live action Kenshin movies?

Personally I can't imagine the series in live action and would prefer to see an anime reboot.
But that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad.

Mr-Joker

Banned
On a different note, has anyone seen any of the live action Kenshin movies?

Personally I can't imagine the series in live action and would prefer to see an anime reboot.
But that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad.

I have seen the first one, haven't seen the second one yet, and I while the movie did compress the first arc up to the Megumi arc I found myself enjoying it and loving the fight scenes.

Just waiting for the sequel to be given a DVD release in the UK, so I might be waiting awhile.

Blair

Banned
I just read the manga and the bonus ending chapter which was a great end to the series. Fuck reflection and its try hard edginess which completely missed the point of the entire story.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I should also point out that you can watch the series for free on Crunchy Roll.

That's the legit Media Blasters release. Since they lost the license the TV series has gone out-of-print and may get increasingly difficult to find.

Oh so that's why they are expensive.

I just read the manga and the bonus ending chapter which was a great end to the series. Fuck reflection and its try hard edginess which completely missed the point of the entire story.

What was so bad about Reflection? I haven't watched it yet.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That is a damn good question. Where is the Jinchu arc? I hope they pull a FMA: Brotherhood on this series and remake it one of these days. The first arc was adapted pretty liberally, too, and not for the better. Kyoto arc is still some of the best anime out there.

I read the Jinchu arc fairly recently, and it's pretty good, but not as amazing as I've heard it be hyped up as. It indeed does meander about a lot, including an irrelevant mini-arc about Sanosuke, and the way a certain plot point is handled is a bit questionable. However, it does feature Kenshin fighting both Venom and Apocalypse; the plot point I mentioned isn't handled as badly as it could have been, since Kenshin develops past it before learning the truth; and the fights were pretty good, I thought, outside of the last side-character fights against that one guy's bodyguards. I'd say it's definitely worth reading.
ah hell no. Far from irrelevant to Sanosuke's character. I loved it.

Jinchū arc goes off the rails for me once they reach Enishi's island. Like you said, the bodyguards were a low point. The guy who perfectly matching Aoshi's Kaiten Kenbu Rokuren? Get the fuck out of here. Or the scrub being able to injure Saito. After the great battles in Tokyo, Kenshin's flashback and Yahiko holding off Apocalypse, it had been great arc. I think it fell apart at the end though.

That is a damn good question. Where is the Jinchu arc? I hope they pull a FMA: Brotherhood on this series and remake it one of these days. The first arc was adapted pretty liberally, too, and not for the better. Kyoto arc is still some of the best anime out there.

They recently re-did the Kyoto Arc with higher quality animation but it's VERY condensed and as a result some details I think are changed (I can't remember very well tbh).

I have no idea how it was received financially though and I think that would be the determining factor on any future remakes. It's available on Hulu in the US.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They recently re-did the Kyoto Arc with higher quality animation but it's VERY condensed and as a result some details I think are changed (I can't remember very well tbh).

I have no idea how it was received financially though and I think that would be the determining factor on any future remakes. It's available on Hulu in the US.

Some = a lot, and often not for the better.

Some = a lot, and often not for the better.

I know that when I watched it, I didn't enjoy the changes that I noticed but it's been so long since I've seen the series (over 10 years) that I couldn't really tell what was changed for the sake of change and what was adjusted in order to condense the Arc.

Animation was solid though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I know that when I watched it, I didn't enjoy the changes that I noticed but it's been so long since I've seen the series (over 10 years) that I couldn't really tell what was changed for the sake of change and what was adjusted in order to condense the Arc.

Animation was solid though.

It was, but the condensing hurt it a lot. The entire final sequence feels cheap as a result.
Sano's fight with the monk has no real meaning as now he's just getting punched a lot by a guy he never met. It loses nearly all of its narrative relevance. Didn't like the new Shishio fight either. I liked the first episode mostly, but the second one just wasn't satisfying.

tuffy

That and the fact that it's the original translation as opposed to the newer translation that I believe was done for Cartoon Network. The Media Blasters version is superior imo.
As I recall, the Cartoon Network ran the Media Blasters dub, possibly with some minor edits for TV. I don't think the older Animax dub ever wound up in any North American release.

As I recall, the Cartoon Network ran the Media Blasters dub, possibly with some minor edits for TV. I don't think the older Animax dub ever wound up in any North American release.

Are you sure? CN ran the Media Blasters version? Crackle has the other version (Kenshi and Kori /disgust) but I was sure I had heard that version before on CN. I had imported the series and OVA's years before it ran anywhere in the US and it was an entirely different dub and translation so hearing and reading the difference immediately turned me off.

tuffy

Are you sure? CN ran the Media Blasters version? Crackle has the other version (Kenshi and Kori /disgust) but I was sure I had heard that version before on CN. I had imported the series and OVA's years before it ran anywhere in the US and it was an entirely different dub and translation so hearing and reading the difference immediately turned me off.
I'm positive the Cartoon Network ran the Media Blasters dub in North America, which is the same version on all their DVD releases. There was an older dub meant for southeast Asia before it ever got a US release. Even though it features some of the same cast as the newer one, it's not as highly regarded.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The OVAs were awesome. Weird art style, but good story and action.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Episode 18 “Run, Yahiko! Run Yahiko! Get the Reverse-Edged Sword Back” It's actually pretty good for a filler episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom