• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Rurouni Kenshin TV series, Also WHERE is the Jinchu Arc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Not gonna lie. I liked the Christian arc.

Geez....it's a good thing I decided to go with gut and keep watching. I'm in the middle of the Christian arc right now and it's surprisingly good!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I can't believe people were saying the episodes after the Kyoto arc are just filler. The Christian arc is anything but filler and was VERY good! Can't wait to see what other arc is coming up next.

Mumei

I can't believe people were saying the episodes after the Kyoto arc are just filler. The Christian arc is anything but filler and was VERY good! Can't wait to see what other arc is coming up next.

When talking about anime, "filler" doesn't necessarily mean "bad"; it means "not from the manga," or not part of the original canon. The anime went on filler because it had caught up to the manga, so they had to produce original content while waiting for the manga to produce more story to animate. Unfortunately, the show tanked in popularity during this period and was canceled. It isn't unusual for a long-running shounen to go on periods of filler to allow the manga to get ahead again. Occasionally filler lasts for a very long time - Naruto had filler from episodes 137 to 219, or from May 2005 to February 2007, and nearly half of Bleach's episodes are filler, though it's much more broken up than that.

Get ready for Kenshin getting his ass kicked by a guy on a horse. And an arc where Kenshin is absolutely useless because all of the villains just straight up use magic.

isamu

Finally watched the Trust and Betrayal OVAs. Now that's more like it. Very very good show!

Onto Samurai Champloo....

Hiko

Banned
Let me ask you guys an honest and objective question....

Upon watching the TV series for the very first time, were any of you hoping that Kenhin would turn into full blown Battousai Manslayer mode once he reached Kyoto? I had heard so much about how the Kyoto arc is much more violent than the previous 28 episodes, and how Kenshin turns into a serious badass. Now don't get me wrong, the serious does get a bit darker, and kenshin shows more of his serious side, but I was expecting something along the way that would make him a crazed Battousai man hunting lunatic, slicing and dicing his way through hordes of men like butter.

I felt kinda disappointed he never actually killed anyone, and never used a traditional Japanese sword. I wanted absolute carnage from this man! I was honestly expecting Ninja Scroll levels of gore. It was very frustrating to see his eyes turn yellow and be right on the verge of turning into Battousai, only for something trivial to happen that would stop him.

When he went to his master and learned how to control his inner feelings on how to keep from turning into the manslayer, I knew he it was all over. Any chance of slicing dozens of opponents went out the window. He would continue using the reverse blade and stick to his rule of not killing anybody, so I was a bit disappointed with that. Shishio deserved to be sliced to bits :(
The problem is that if you give Kenshin a real sword, even as a wanderer he suddenly becomes ridiculously OP. As in, Shishio would have been dead within minutes. It's why Hiko is barely used in the story. There needs to be some character drama and suspense.

massoluk

Banned

I'm really supposed to take the Feng Sui bullshit and some lance dude on a horse being a real threat seriously?

It really does a very poor job at conveying the arc as it was written in the Manga.

The problem was that the author subscribed to the idea that Kenshin should have a happy ending. Reflection just tore his philosophy to pieces.

Wut? it is totally filler..you may like it but that doesn't change that fact.

Mumei

Frankly, I just want OVA Sequel focused on grown-up Yahiko. I need more of his weapons-breaking badassery.

I agree. Yahiko was basically Watsuki's author insert character, so he might as well do what he really wants and give us more.

isamu

What, nothing to say about the other filler arcs?

They were OK I guess, that one about the magical pentagram stuff was kinda silly, and German Black Riders or whatever was so so. Christian arc was the best one.

I agree. Yahiko was basically Watsuki's author insert character, so he might as well do what he really wants and give us more.

Yeah this would be cool to see.

Lemme ask you guys something......how in the ever living world of all things gracious, does a show like Samurai Champloo manage to cram more style and badass swordplay into it's FIRST COUPLE episodes, than Kenshin did in it's entire show?

They were OK I guess, that one about the magical pentagram stuff was kinda silly, and German Black Riders or whatever was so so. Christian arc was the best one.

Yeah this would be cool to see.

Lemme ask you guys something......how in the ever living world of all things gracious, does a show like Samurai Champloo manage to cram more style and badass swordplay into it's FIRST COUPLE episodes, than Kenshin did in it's entire show?
I disagree never particularly like the fighting in Samurai Champloo

Peff

Well, Kenshin is a weekly series of unknown episodes which adapts a manga that tries to have somewhat grounded fights, while the other is a 26-episode original show whose director came hot off the heels of Cowboy Bebop's success.

Still, if you want crazy swordfighting, try watching Sword of the Stranger. There's some spectacular stuff in that movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom