• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals |OT| A New Look for Lufia

Volcynika

tUsYY.gif

pdpym.gif

The Sinistrals, the four legendary harbingers of doom, are out to resurrect the ultimate evil and bring the world to its knees. It's up to the fiery monster hunter Maxim and his eclectic band of adventurers to put a stop to them once and for all. Their adventures will take them across an expansive world packed with dangerous enemies, powerful items, and diabolical puzzles!

This action RPG features six playable characters to choose from, each with their own special abilities and attacks. Players will need to master them all if they want to stand a chance against the game's fierce enemies and towering bosses that fill both screens!

es7wN.gif

Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Action RPG
Release Date: 10/12/2010? (NA)
Publisher: Natsume
MSRP: $29.99
ESRB: E10+

B4d0y.gif

*The Lufia series makes its triumphant return!

*Six playable characters to choose from, each with their own special abilities and attacks!

*Switch between them on the fly to mix up your battle strategy!

*Action-packed real-time combat pits you against fierce enemies and towering bosses that fill both screens!

*Customize your characters with powerful Mystic Stones!

VIE0s.gif

BWxmi.jpg
84Om5.jpg

eEToz.jpg
L6APo.jpg

ILvOa.jpg
5Wj8H.jpg

vdZxb.gif

English Trailer

oMlsf.gif

Nintendo Power: 8.0/10.0

Aeana

I hadn't seen any English screenshots. At least the fonts are good. I hope the translation is decent, too. Although "That's Priest Idula?" doesn't instill much confidence.

jiien

Already preordered. I'm excited. It's been a while since I touched this series.

I just want a random dungeon.

Edit: Though I'm unlikely to get what I want. Just want to support anyone willing to bring more Lufia out.

Can't wait to play this. If only for the wonderful soundtrack for my nostalgia fix. Its also a nice change to see something like this that tries to be more than the same game in a prettier package.

Joei

I loved this series on SNES. Glad to see this came out and hope I see a console game in the future. I'd love some old-school RPGness like this game.

duckroll

Joei said:
I loved this series on SNES. Glad to see this came out and hope I see a console game in the future. I'd love some old-school RPGness like this game.

Hi, are you in the wrong thread? :)

-Real time combat.

-Final Fantasy 8, 10, 12 and 13 looking characters.

-Good but different style of music (in the trailer anyway).

Just a little worried, that's all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Vyse The Legend said:
What did jGAF think of this? Duckroll?

I loved the original, but I'm not sure how I feel about this remake.

jgaf thought it was great

The whole change to action rpg doesn't seem to sit very well with me. But I'll give it a shot since I loved lufia 2 on the snes. i just hope the puzzles are just as good as the originals

btw who's the character artist anyways? i swear i've seen the style somewhere.

Joei

duckroll said:
Hi, are you in the wrong thread? :)

Yes, yes I am, lol... so it's real-time combat and not a lot like the originals, but, uh... hmmmm.... alright, I think I'll just step out now lol (though I'd love to see a proper Lufia game on a console)

kiryogi

Banned
Ah cmon Aeana even I did better on OTs. Could have at least used transparent backgrounds or something XD That said woo! excited!

Volcynika

kiryogi said:
Ah cmon Aeana even I did better on OTs. Could have at least used transparent backgrounds or something XD That said woo! excited!

I SUCK AT IMAGE MAKING OK.

If you want to make transparent backgrounds be my guest! I suck at media related things :(

kiryogi said:
'Aeana' ... 'Volcynika'...

Little blue slime... guy in coat rocking out with cock firmly in the out position...

kiryogi, I say this out of concern. You need to stop doing those 38 hour Phantasy Star sessions. Your eyes are fucked up.

Volcynika

Ok I did what I could to make the images transparent. Also,

Little blue slime... guy in coat rocking out with cock firmly in the out position...

kiryogi, I say this out of concern. You need to stop doing those 38 hour Phantasy Star sessions. Your eyes are fucked up.

:lol

I never played the original, so I'm definitely interested in this.

I can understand why fans would be a little upset with this remake, or re-imagining. But it looks like the game is still pretty good on its own.

kiryogi

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Uh wow. Uh. Sorry. So sorry Aeana. I think I saw you as first post on the main forum and thought you were OT creator :lol And actually I'm playing XIV now Segata :p

Aeana

Shouta said:
I think I was the only person to buy it. :lol =(
I got it eventually, but I'm going to leave my thoughts to myself so I don't kill anybody's buzz.

Not that I hate the game or anything. It's fun enough, I guess.

Boney

Banned
Aeana said:
I got it eventually, but I'm going to leave my thoughts to myself so I don't kill anybody's buzz.

Not that I hate the game or anything. It's fun enough, I guess.
Please share, I rather get my buzz killed than waste my money.
It definately looks kewl.

Aeana

Boney said:
Please share, I rather get my buzz killed than waste my money.
It definately looks kewl.
I'll put it this way: don't go into this looking for a Lufia 2 remake. Honestly, it might as well be a totally new game with the same basic story and characters (a few of which have totally different personalities). As a regular old action RPG, it's pretty good. Combat is decent, dungeons are good, music is obviously awesome since it's all taken from Lufia 2.

But it's its own thing.

Shouta

That's basically right. Don't expect Lufia 2 except in spirit and you'll be fine. It's a good game overall.

Aeana said:
I'll put it this way: don't go into this looking for a Lufia 2 remake. Honestly, it might as well be a totally new game with the same basic story and characters (a few of which have totally different personalities). As a regular old action RPG, it's pretty good. Combat is decent, dungeons are good, music is obviously awesome since it's all taken from Lufia 2.

But it's its own thing.
Why they didn't have the mental wherewithal to actually make this into a brand new installment or a new IP is beyond me. I feel they are trying to reel people in with nostalgia, and it cheapens the series IMO.

A bit conflicted over this, but will purchase nonetheless.

It's developed by Neverland still, right? The guys that did Lodoss and "HOT STUFF COMIN' YOUR WAY!" Shining Force right?

I doubt it'll reach the nuttiness factor of Lodoss and SF as you wade through piles and piles of monsters with seven or eight digit numbers flashing all over the place, but as long as it still has the same blend of puzzles and fighting I'll be okay.

I still have yet to see anyone man up and deliver a game as wild and as hardcore nerdy as Lodoss was for a portable system. That'd just make my day.

Does it make sense that Lufia and Lufia 2 are among my favorite RPGs of all times, despite only playing into about four or five hours into each one?

Gunloc said:
Why they didn't have the mental wherewithal to actually make this into a brand new installment or a new IP is beyond me. I feel they are trying to reel people in with nostalgia, and it cheapens the series IMO.

The series is (was?) already dead anyway.

zigg

Gunloc said:

Speaking as a guy who plays a lot of new IPs, this move got the game a lot more attention that it would have received otherwise.

Anyway: as a Neverland-on-DS fan with no prior attachments to the series, I'm on board with this game.

The last PR I got said the release date is 10/19. I was just confused in the last thread when I asked if it was out yet because it seemed that all of a sudden there were a lot of opinions about its combat.

Volcynika

zigg said:
Speaking as a guy who plays a lot of new IPs, this move got the game a lot more attention that it would have received otherwise.

Anyway: as a Neverland-on-DS fan with no prior attachments to the series, I'm on board with this game.

The last PR I got said the release date is 10/19. I was just confused in the last thread when I asked if it was out yet because it seemed that all of a sudden there were a lot of opinions about its combat.

Welp

"Shipment 1 of 1
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: October 15, 2010

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC"

Wow I didn't even know this existed until right now. I really liked Lufia 2 back in the day, so I'm curious how this game is.

No turn based battles is kinda a turn off though.

zigg

Volcynika said:
Welp

"Shipment 1 of 1
Shipping Soon
Delivery Estimate: October 15, 2010

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC"
Guess Amazon has their stock in, then :)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
I hadn't seen any English screenshots. At least the fonts are good. I hope the translation is decent, too. Although "That's Priest Idula?" doesn't instill much confidence.

It's the Rune Factory font! :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh god, I already forgot about the game but here it is again D:

At least the music is good. But we got YT for that :)

kiryogi said:
Anyone got it yet? XD Been listening to the arranges. SO GOOD!
Man, the arranged world map theme is pure divine sex

Non arranged still got that nostalgia factor tho :D

Pureauthor said:
The series is (was?) already dead anyway.
But there was no need to dig up the corpse.

It could of got almost the same press if it had been a new installment in the Lufia series instead of a "reimagining" of the most highly praised entry of the series. As Aeana said, it's so vastly different than the original Lufia II that it's almost unrecognizable, so I still don't see why they chose this route other than to play on people's nostalgia for the game.

Maxim in a leather jacket!
Dekar with pink hair!?

I'm loving this game already. :lol

Anyway just picked up my copy so uhh

First off everything is way different. Lufia 2 vanilla had this long build-up where townspeople were all "boy there sure are more monsters wandering around these days." and then eventually Gades and the gang showed up to wreck shit. In this version with five minutes Gades has already announced to the world that he's the shit and Maxim arrives via boat to kick his butt. It's almost like some alternate dimension take on the second game...which is good cause hey it's different. Of course Maxim gets wrecked and is kicked back to the first town to so Tia can ask him when he's going to settle down and maybe make non-Sinistral-fighting babies.

Being able to jump sure is nice, of course the first thing I did was jump off a cliff and take some damage. Combat is a bit like the newer Ys games in that like Adol, Maxim is a whirling buzz-saw that also shoots flames. That's all I'll say on that so far as I haven't even gotten out of the tutorial dungeon.

Top Bottom