• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Sounds like you would like the Gamecube one more. That one is like 4 hours long.

Did you use motion controls for vacuuming, or are you just complaining about the very small amount of required motion controlled balancing sections? If it's the former, that's a big personal problem. Using the buttons to aim was perfectly fine.

And your assumption that you didn't miss anything in the last two hours is a very poor one. You actually probably missed some of the better sections of the game, arguably. The fifth mansion has some great puzzles that require you to essentially warp between different environments. Then again, based on your post, you'd probably not like it since it'd be backtracking in your opinion.

Sorry you didn't like it.

This is my game of the year so far, and I would be shocked if it didn't hold at least a top 3 spot by years end. As much as I have a soft spot for Luigi, he's not the star here. It's the mansions. Haunted Towers was my favorite, and is probably one of the coolest levels I've played in a video game, ever. Old Clockworks, Secret Mine, and Gloomy Manor are also fantastic. Though you only use a handful of mechanics throughout the game, the level design, atmosphere, and humor are so great that it rarely felt repetitive to me.

I know they probably wanted to flesh out E. Gadd's character, but his expositions were easily the dullest moments of the game. While he would occasionally say something funny, the humor shined brightest during in game moments like with ghost encounters and when other things would happen to Luigi from the tricks and traps of the mansions. Next Level obviously has great animators and they really did a great job giving the characters and enemies personality. I mentioned the atmosphere... The art and music were absolutely delicious. I actually liked most of the boss fights. The Secret Mine one was pretty bad though, but thankfully I didn't have as much trouble as others here did.

So yeah, great game overall, and I would love if Next Level got to make a sequel for the Wii U.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Does this game still have people playing it online? I assume there's no chance of this becoming a MK7 where there's a constant community, but curious if its possible to still pick up a game ?

Rekubot

Just finished! Overall I loved it, the final mansion was fantastic, but I suspect that was to do with getting the final Poltergust upgrade early on, which made exploring and combat twice as fun. The rooms were particularly well crafted in the final mansion.

Reading that there are no checkpoints for ordinary levels makes me very glad I didn't die. I doubt I would have bothered to continue if I'd lost nearly an hour of progress. I've seen a lot of other annoyances posted but for the most part I never had a problem, other than a couple of ambiguous puzzles early on as I hadn't got a knack for the gameplay yet. If you're doubting whether to buy this game because some people had issues, just note that those problems won't necessarily happen to you.

I can't state enough how wonderful the animation is. Combined with the lighting and detail in each room, I never felt like I was playing a video game with canned animations. Just glorious.

Favorite moment: getting bitchslapped by
an octopus
. The final cutscene was heartwarming too, there's so much charm packed into this game. If choosing between this and Dream Team Bros, get LM2. Dream Team Bros is a boring slog in comparison.

Does this game still have people playing it online? I assume there's no chance of this becoming a MK7 where there's a constant community, but curious if its possible to still pick up a game ?

I tried the multiplayer mode twice and had no trouble finding a match.

I thought I'd say something in the thread considering how largely forgotten this game is.

I wanted to see if anyone was playing online as I hadn't touched it since I had completed it and there were plenty of games.

Finding the ghost mode is hilarious.

Niraj

Haven't played since the summer personally, but I thought it was a lot of fun. The time one is pretty miserable though unless you're talking online or playing locally. I have some friends who owe me games too :p

This still cracks me up

codhand

I'm not big on the complaints of this game's length, considering how bereft of content the first game was, i see this sequel as a thanks to the fans of that first gamecube one. it's long but feels better if you play one level at a time, ie per day, per week. per month in my case ;0

i love the bosses so far, graphics are possibly the best on the 3ds, except for kid icarus. i'll also add to the chorus of those wanting an extra analog stick for this.

Not finished yet, i'm halfway through the clock tower, still enjoying it, it'll probably make my top ten, not sure yet

the animation, music, graphics and level design are all fun, if at times repetitive, the whole experience is so well polished i cant be mad it for being long.

rtcn63

Is there any alternative to pressing the touchscreen to read Egad's messages? I have to pick up my stylus every time. I hate it when they do this, and it's enough to make not want to play.

Niraj

Is there any alternative to pressing the touchscreen to read Egad's messages? I have to pick up my stylus every time. I hate it when they do this, and it's enough to make not want to play.

Don't remember about alternatives, but you could always just use your fingernail instead of your stylus.

mr.beers

Loved this game but it began to get very predictable and boring towards the end. My biggest gripe is that it was too damn long the original game was the perfect length. The boss fights I thought were good but why do them 3 times? I take it back my biggest gripe with the game is how it saves, this is a portable game allow me to save anytime please! Those are my gripes. Overall it was a very positive experience and goddamn charming. Loved the controls and the game looks very good.

Edit: For the love of god please checkpoint me if I die it was a slog to go back through and redo everything.

atom519

Holy crap this mission is hard! No other mission even comes close to it's difficulty, what gives? I think it's the second to last one, so I understand that it should ramp up near the end but still...

Anyways, I think I need help. This will be like my 20th attempt at beating it, and instead of rage quitting I decided to watch a walkthrough which led me to believe I might have been missing something this entire time.

Is there a surefire method to increase the poltergust meter quickly? The guy in this video is getting up to rank 3 super fast, or at least much quicker than I seem to be.

Minor SPOILERS for second to last mission.

I have been wiggling the analog back and forth in the opposite direction, but it still seems to take much longer than what I see above. Am I doing something wrong? Any tips for sucking them up faster or dealing with this ungodly frustrating mission?

Niraj

You don't need to wiggle it back and forth, just keep holding in the opposite direction. So like, the ghost is to the right and you start sucking it up, keep holding the circle pad to the left.

atom519

You don't need to wiggle it back and forth, just keep holding in the opposite direction. So like, the ghost is to the right and you start sucking it up, keep holding the circle pad to the left.

Well it turns out I simply didn't have the final upgrade for the Poltergust, which made this mission a nightmare for me.

Make sure you collect those dollar bills and coins fellas! They are important!

Ended up beating the game last night. Such a wonderful experience from start to finish. Also, LONG. Is there a way to track hours played in 3DS? I wouldn't doubt if I had upwards of 30hrs invested in the single player alone.

Niraj

Well it turns out I simply didn't have the final upgrade for the Poltergust, which made this mission a nightmare for me.

Make sure you collect those dollar bills and coins fellas! They are important!

Ended up beating the game last night. Such a wonderful experience from start to finish. Also, LONG. Is there a way to track hours played in 3DS? I wouldn't doubt if I had upwards of 30hrs invested in the single player alone.

Ah yeah, that would help :p

There should be an icon for an activity log (it looks like a graph) that you can access to check your time. Just choose the software library option which has everything you've played.

Stencil

Mansion #3 boss fight by far the most infuriating part of the game. Died near the very end and of course had to redo 12 minutes worth of stuff. Is there any way to get a golden bone before fighting the boss?

Dude, seriously, I had to set the game down just now because the exact same thing happened to me. The way the fight is set up, too, is doubly punishing if you make a mistake. Plus the game kept glitching Luigi to just continually walk to the right for a few seconds. Argh.

Any way to get a golden bone? Anyone?

mcfrank

This game needs checkpoints so bad. It is making me want to quit the game every time is spend 20 minutes finding everything in a mission and then I die at the very end. Fun game undone by some bad design decisions.

I guess you have more patience for redoing things than I do.

There is a golden bone in every bit of the level. You might have to do some investigating but as stated above, you will revive if you die.

What boss is causing you an issue? It might be a cheap way of doing it but it just makes the boss fight worth more considering how much is "riding" on it.

mcfrank

There is a golden bone in every bit of the level. You might have to do some investigating but as stated above, you will revive if you die.

What boss is causing you an issue? It might be a cheap way of doing it but it just makes the boss fight worth more considering how much is "riding" on it.

I am not really stuck on the boss (the 3 ghosts with mirrors), I just don't want to spend the time to get back up to it another time or 2 while I figure out the strategy. I have too many other games to play which are more respectful of my time.

I am not really stuck on the boss (the 3 ghosts with mirrors), I just don't want to spend the time to get back up to it another time or 2 while I figure out the strategy. I have too many other games to play which are more respectful of my time.

Which is completely valid. I hope you actually carry on though, it's a great, great game.

Just replayed this for the first time since it came out. It's up there with Kid Icarus and Sticker Star as my favorite 3DS game (sorry Zelda and 3D Land). Absolutely love the atmosphere and exploration. I would love for Next Level to take a crack at Metroid, or do another LM on Wii U.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This game is the one that pushed me over the edge for a 3DS. Does anyone have a copy they want to sell for around $20 shipped? PM me.

Marco1

Loving this game but would like done advice on how to capture ghosts.
Do I flash them first and how long do I hold the flash button before I let go? Also when I press the R button do I pull away from the ghost or run after them as they try to pull away?
Thank you.

Niraj

Loving this game but would like done advice on how to capture ghosts.
Do I flash them first and how long do I hold the flash button before I let go? Also when I press the R button do I pull away from the ghost or run after them as they try to pull away?
Thank you.

As long as they're shocked by the flash, that's long enough. Usually only takes a second. You want to hold the opposite direction generally, unless something is coming towards you and you need to move forward to dodge or something.

Sora_N

I can't remember why I stopped playing this but I guess I felt disappointed, recently tried to continue my game.

The stupid 3 ghost sisters are kicking my ass, didn't remember other fights being so hard.

Kjellson

I'm a bit LttP for this.

It's great, but I just wanted to come in and say that the boss of Secret Mine is the worst thing in the world right now.

Niraj

I'm a bit LttP for this.

It's great, but I just wanted to come in and say that the boss of Secret Mine is the worst thing in the world right now.

lol, don't worry, there were a ton of people in this thread who had the same issue. Aim for the middle first if you haven't been.

Edit: went through some of the previous pages and a lot of people seemed to find this helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKeKn_Mi8Ug

Got online to play some multiplayer for the first time in a very long time. Even though there were very few people online, I still managed to find some okay match ups and get to at least floor 10 in Polturgust mode.

It's funny that right above me is a complaint for the secret mine boss, pretty much the only part of this game that I didn't like it all.

sphinx

the piano man
I am very pissed that I can't get a 100% file without internet on this game.

the 3DS keeps giving me the 001-0502 error and searching on the internet, it seems the problem randomly comes and goes because nintendo sucks ass at doing online.

no 3 medals and no gold frame on the file for me.

fuck off nintendo

maxcriden

I'm a bit LttP for this.

This was the most frustrating aspect of the game to me, too, by far. I had some difficulty beating some of the bosses and minibosses but I did feel like they were all super fun to play, except for this one that felt like a departure to me, and creative but not nearly as enjoyable to me. Rest assured the game jumps back up in quality after this boss, IMO.

Niraj

I am very pissed that I can't get a 100% file without internet on this game.

the 3DS keeps giving me the 001-0502 error and searching on the internet, it seems the problem randomly comes and goes because nintendo sucks ass at doing online.

no 3 medals and no gold frame on the file for me.

fuck off nintendo

Found a few posts where people said they fixed it. Did you try these? http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/35785

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/143128

If not/they don't work, maybe try calling their support to see if they can help you.

sphinx

the piano man
Found a few posts where people said they fixed it. Did you try these? http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/35785

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/143128

If not/they don't work, maybe try calling their support to see if they can help you.

no use but I see you posted this some pages back

You could always just play it by yourself. Just do a ten floor rush mode solo, get to floor five to record the boss, lose on the next floor, repeat.

I need to get the ghosts in multiplayer to get a complete file.

Does this mean I can get them also not playing multiplayer?? I was never able to play anything there... do I need access to the Nintendo network, either way?

lankelink

Neo Member
no use but I see you posted this some pages back

I need to get the ghosts in multiplayer to get a complete file.

Does this mean I can get them also not playing multiplayer?? I was never able to play anything there... do I need access to the Nintendo network, either way?

Yes, I got almost every special ghost playing alone. Just make sure to choose more than 5 floors, with only 5 floors you will only see the boss. Choose 10 floors, capture the ghost at 5th floor and then quit.

sphinx

the piano man
Yes, I got almost every special ghost playing alone. Just make sure to choose more than 5 floors, with only 5 floors you will only see the boss. Choose 10 floors, capture the ghost at 5th floor and then quit.

sorry, I asked too many questions and I don't know which question you meant to answer with the bolded yes

the one question I need cleared is:

.- do I absolutely need to get online through the Nintendo Network to get the multiplayer ghosts?

Niraj

sorry, I asked too many questions and I don't know which question you meant to answer with the bolded yes

the one question I need cleared is:

.- do I absolutely need to get online through the Nintendo Network to get the multiplayer ghosts?

You should just be able to pick local play.

sphinx

the piano man
can I get all the multiplayer ghosts playing solo in the the local tower game? I played twice already but only got 1 new ghost, the main boss after floor 5 and then nothing because I played on hard and died on the 4th floor.

the MP ghost list looks pretty long, significantly longer than the SP one... will I ever make it on my own or should I just give up and/or wait until I have another connection that somehow allows online MP?

so basically: where are the new ghosts??

lankelink

Neo Member
can I get all the multiplayer ghosts playing solo in the the local tower game? I played twice already but only got 1 new ghost, the main boss after floor 5 and then nothing because I played on hard and died on the 4th floor.

the MP ghost list looks pretty long, significantly longer than the SP one... will I ever make it on my own or should I just give up and/or wait until I have another connection that somehow allows online MP?

so basically: where are the new ghosts??

You can play solo (no need to play local/online multiplayer with other people). Special ghosts appear every 5 floors (as long as it is not the last floor, in that case you will encounter the boss as usual). Just to make it clear, in a 5 floor run you will only find the boss, in a 10 floor run you will find a special ghost in the 5th floor and the boss at the 10th floor, in a 15 floor run you will find a special ghost at 5 and 10th floors, then the boss at the end, and so on.

But it is not guaranteed that every time you will find a new one... So you will need to try several times. I did it myself and it became a bit tedious at the end, specially when I encountered repeated ghosts, but it can be done.

sphinx

the piano man
You can play solo (no need to play local/online multiplayer with other people). Special ghosts appear every 5 floors (as long as it is not the last floor, in that case you will encounter the boss as usual). Just to make it clear, in a 5 floor run you will only find the boss, in a 10 floor run you will find a special ghost in the 5th floor and the boss at the 10th floor, in a 15 floor run you will find a special ghost at 5 and 10th floors, then the boss at the end, and so on.

But it is not guaranteed that every time you will find a new one... So you will need to try several times. I did it myself and it became a bit tedious at the end, specially when I encountered repeated ghosts, but it can be done.

wait, you mean all those new 47 ghosts are bosses in the lists?? wow

can I play up to floor 5 on a 10 floor game and die and have that boss count?

EDIT: Ok, so if I play a pretty standard hunter mode in normal difficulty with 25 floors I will get the chance to fight 4 new ghosts?

lankelink

Neo Member
wait, you mean all those new 47 ghosts are bosses in the lists?? wow

can I play up to floor 5 on a 10 floor game and die and have that boss count?

Yeah, that's what I did (I'm not sure if I had to die, or just quit, but the cptured ghost was saved)

EDIT: Ok, so if I play a pretty standard hunter mode in normal difficulty with 25 floors I will get the chance to fight 4 new ghosts?

Exactly

sphinx

the piano man
Yeah, that's what I did (I'm not sure if I had to die, or just quit, but the cptured ghost was saved)

Exactly

so.. what you are saying is that you played through the tower game, a game that lasts about 20 minutes per playthrough more than 50 times to complete your list of ghosts.

you did that???

yayaba

I am really, really enjoying this game. The visuals are outstanding and Luigi is charming as hell. Still in the early parts (< 2 hours) but so far this has far surpassed my expectations.

sphinx

the piano man
I've been doing the 25 floor scarescraper hunter mode and I've been doing well so far, I thought it would take months but having 4 new enemies in a 1 hour playthrough isn't that bad,

I think 25 floors is better than 10 because the game always changes the kind of ghost boss you'll get, I always get

.- a pair of big greenies with bombs
.- a blob-like fat ghost
.- a pair of invisibles with warping tornados (very annoying!!)
.- a big-headed buff ghost.

in any order, but I haven't gotten a kind of ghost repeated in a single playthrough.

getting to room 21 to then let the ghosts defeat Luigi and collect 4 new ghosts (if they are indeed new..) takes me an hour... o_o.. damn my OCD and the need for a gold frame and medal

I think I have like 55% of the list now, seems like I am going to make it but damn, I can't imagine the boredom when I am missing 2 or 3... try-repeat-reset-try.repeat-reset... -_-

sphinx

the piano man
just one last update: I completed the scarescraper ghosts list, it's much easier than it seems.

I am sure the game knows what ghosts you are missing and it will make them appear sooner than later

and everything just to have the three E.Gadd medals and the golden frame:

by the way 124 hours is bullshit, activity log says it was 64 hours.

20141201_191829_zps3228745b.jpg

Hi! just started playing the game and i reached the second manor. couple of things i wanted to ask:

first: does anyone see a ton of ghosting when using 3D with this game? I've played through both Star Fox 64 3D and Super Mario 3D Land and neither have nearly as much ghosting at this game. I'm using a N3DS, btw, and i've never seen so much 3d ghosting in a 3ds games like in LM.

Second: I couldn't find any alternate control schemes. I'm finding the game to feel a bit clunky at times, especially when trying to suck something up. Is there maybe a lock-on system i'm missing or a better control scheme? I feel like half the time that i'm getting hit it's because of the controls.

Top Bottom