• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

GeekyDad

The game is so fucking shit, died after an hour mission, back to the start. FUCK YOU Nintendo. I can't believe they went with zero checkpoints or saving, it's totally unfair.

Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but yeah, I think this was the wrong kind of game to design such a save system. In something like Demon's/Dark Souls, it didn't bother me. But with this, the game's already very slow-paced. It's tedious if you have to redo an entire chapter. But really, the main problem is...it's a fucking handheld game. You should be able to play a few minutes, save, and exit if you want. Silly shit. Great game, but silly shit.

Normally, this wouldn't bother me, but yeah, I think this was the wrong kind of game to design such a save system. In something like Demon's/Dark Souls, it didn't bother me. But with this, the game's already very slow-paced. It's tedious if you have to redo an entire chapter. But really, the main problem is...it's a fucking handheld game. You should be able to play a few minutes, save, and exit if you want. Silly shit. Great game, but silly shit.

I've just replayed the level, but after spending time searching every nook and cranny for items, money, secrets etc the first time, I've skipped ALL of that as I've been forced by the game to replay the level and lost every bit of progress I made. That is so incredibly cunty.

Dark Souls is a much fairer and easier game than this, it's unbelievable. In DS, you can save at any point you want, and if you die - even going to bosses - is a few minutes, not a fucking HOUR. You don't lose vital items, only souls, which are retrievable by picking them up.

I fucking hate this game, it's ruined by terrible, terrible game design choices regarding saving, no checkpoints, no way of getting health back easily, having to pick everything back up again when you die, no skipping of dickhead on the DS calling you every minute. It is NOT the way to make any kinda of game, but a mobile game? It's unforgivable. It's basically like taking away checkpoints in Gears of War, Uncharted, Vanquish, or anything else I can think of. What the fuck were they thinking?!?!

I'll be writing to both the Nintendo and the developer on this once I've finished, I really feel like they have totally wrecked what would otherwise be a very polished game.

Do you have to clear every room in the timed mission? If that's the case, and there is no way of increasing the time (I suspect not), then I don't think I will ever be able to complete this game.

It is without doubt the most unfair, badly designed and most frustrating Nintendo game I have ever played. I cannot believe all this shit got through Nintendo internal focus testing, I am so disappointed at it.

braves01

Banned
Do you have to clear every room in the timed mission? If that's the case, and there is no way of increasing the time (I suspect not), then I don't think I will ever be able to complete this game.

It is without doubt the most unfair, badly designed and most frustrating Nintendo game I have ever played. I cannot believe all this shit got through Nintendo internal focus testing, I am so disappointed at it.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the timer kind of resets each time you clear a room, so you really get X time to clear the next room, not X time overall. Otherwise, it's the final mission so it should be a challenge right? And most missions can be completed in 15. minutes or less, plus sleep mode lets you set it aside for awhile if you need to, so I don't really think the mission structure is incompatible with a portable experience.

Chuckie

Dark Souls is a much fairer and easier game than this, it's unbelievable. In DS, you can save at any point you want, and if you die - even going to bosses - is a few minutes, not a fucking HOUR.

I'm sorry to say, but if it takes you an hour on any level of Luigi's Mansion, I think it really is you. This game really is rather easy except for maybe 1 or 2 levels.

Minor, minor spoilers:
Thanks. I may try for all of the extra Boo levels (I already unlocked a few) but I can't be bothered to go back for all the gems.

Also, regarding people taking an hour. I think what you're doing is going away from the route you're expected to take on that mission. This is quite possible on some missions, and does nothing for you than waste time. You're looking at 15-20 minutes per mission on average.

Could someone explain how they managed to complete the timed level please? I am staggered at how hard this is! I've now attempted it over 40 times and I have absolutely no idea how to complete it. The blue ghosts in the kitchen rip away 100 health plus another 100 health (from dog bone) in less than a minute. The instant you grab onto a ghost, you are instantly attacked by another ghost or slip over a banana. The time limit is ridiculous and the damage you get from a single hit seems crazy :(

Edit: Finished the level. Insanity lol!

Finally finished the game tonight with a completion time of around 22 hours (Activity Log). Overall, I was disappointed by the game, mainly due to the high difficulty that is linked to the total lack of check points, mid-level saving and often clunky "dodge" move that Luigi can perform.

I am all for challenging gameplay, but it must be coupled with fairness as regards to how the player saves progress. This is even more of an issue as this is a portable game. You should really be able to save the game at any point you wish, by bringing up a menu. If that's too often, they could of had it that the Pixel Shift stations that are dotted around could act as Saving booths, and/or after every encounter with the Dual Scream could simply 'check point' the level. I am honestly staggered that they didn't offer anything like this. Any of these solutions would of fixed my main issue with Luigi's Mansion 2, which quite honestly ruined the game for me. I use my 3DS as a portable device, and games that feature on it - especially 1st party flagship games - should be suitable for what the platform is designed for. Sleeping the system is not a solution, because that isn't a checkpoint, and the battery life is shocking on 3DS and cannot be relied on.

At first I thought the mission structure was a great idea for a handheld, but since the missions were fairly long (sure, most were around 12-15 minutes) is just too long for a 3DS title. But, I absolutely wouldn't want shorter missions, so perhaps the original style adventure game with a friendlier, more suitable way to save would of been better.

Game controls for the most part were pretty good, but the lack of 2nd analog stick can't be ignored, and adjusting up and down was a little on the fussy side. The dodge move didn't always work very well, and whilst I don't expect it to give a zillion frames of invincibility, I did expect it to work better than it did, esp. as the game really does want to throw huge amounts of ghosts at you. The less said about the gyro balancing sections the better...

The best part of the game for me was Luigi and how much personality they gave him. He's a very loveable character, and has way more about him than Link or Mario has ever had. Along with Pit in Kid Icarus: Uprising, perhaps this will start to become a new trend for Nintendo characters? Hope so.

It looks stunning, and at the times its running at 60fps it really is a pretty game, with some lovely designed mansions, layouts and puzzles. Music is generally good, the remixes of the original tune are well done, and Luigi humming along as he explores is charming.

Difficulty? I thought it was too hard! I am sure lots of people will disagree with that comment, but I thought it was way harder than it should of been, I doubt many people will get past the first boss to be honest. Yep yep, 300 hours in Dark Souls and I found this game too tough, who'd a thought it.

Boss fights were OK,
I liked the Clock Face on Mansion 3 and the shooting one in Mansion 4, whereas Mansion 2 (Staircase boss) was really basic and not challenging compared to the Spider which was very frustrating. The final boss was quite good fun, and the knights were a laugh too.

I dunno, thinking back of the 20 hours, there was some really cool stuff in the game, but it just ended up pissing me half the time because I couldn't save at my convenience, and having to replay entire levels because I died in the last room is just bad game design. Can you imagine if that ever happened in an action game like Uncharted or Gears? You'd never play it again. Luigi's Mansion 2 is no different, it's a fairly complex adventure game with LOTS of combat.

Linius

Well damn, I'm only at B3 but I was so angry that these ghosts near the end of that level
the sisters
beat me and I had to go trough it all again. Second time I just rushed trough the level straight up to the point where I failed the first time. Luckily I figured out what I had to do, but the complete lack of checkpoints makes it very hard for me. I almost feel like a lousy gamer now :(

I've finished World 1 and I'm halfway through World 2. What are the golden bones used for ? I found one in every level and I still have no use for them, am I missing something ?

Linius

I've finished World 1 and I'm halfway through World 2. What are the golden bones used for ? I found one in every level and I still have no use for them, am I missing something ?

I read somewhere the ghost dog will save you if you have found the golden bone in the level you are playing. I haven't died while also having the bone in possesion yet so I can't confirm my self :p

Finshed mansion two this morning. Trying to clear most of three as well for today.

I read somewhere the ghost dog will save you if you have found the golden bone in the level you are playing. I haven't died while also having the bone in possesion yet so I can't confirm my self :p

Finshed mansion two this morning. Trying to clear most of three as well for today.

Bones are like the fairies from Zelda, the dog will revive you if you die.

Thank you. I plan to continue my "not-dying" strategy.

Fabrik

Banned
I know everyone has been waiting impatiently (?) for my review so there it is: ;-)
The production values for a handheld game are incredible. One of the best animations in the business, it animates like a cartoon. Next Level Games have fantastic animators. Everything reacts to your vacuum, that in itself must have been a daunting task. The lighting is very good. The game is also quite long for a hand-held game (Around 15 hours just to finish it normally). The ghosts are still fun to catch. But I found that the mission-based structure didn't fit Luigi's Mansion very well. There was little sense of exploration and made the game a bit repetitive (Mission selection, briefing, mission, clear screen, debriefing, ghost and money dumping in the safe, stats screen and repeat). Moreover the "puzzles" were very basic. Basically you just have to suck or tear-up everything or make something rotate. Way too simple. No multi-room puzzles. No outside the box thinking. We are very far from Zelda.
I played very little multiplayer, it looked interesting for a few hours but don't feel the need to come back. Going for 100% completion is not appealing to me as the reward is probably not worth it and it's just a chore to "scan" every nook and crannies. You don't have to "think" to know how to get to any areas.
Special mention for the 1st and 3 last bosses which were very well designed.
Final score: 7/10. Good game but not a keeper.

Linius

Got a little more in to the third mansion, awesome stuff so far with the ancient things and all. My favourite up till now.

I hate these balance parts when crossing a gap btw. Doesn't seem to work so well for me.

Chuckie

Got a little more in to the third mansion, awesome stuff so far with the ancient things and all. My favourite up till now.

I hate these balance parts when crossing a gap btw. Doesn't seem to work so well for me.

Put the DS on a table..you can't fall off the stupid beams then.

Fireblend

Banned
I finally put down Fire Emblem and got to play this game this week (I hadn't even reached the first boss and I've owned it for over a month! Fire Emblem is such a good game).

Anyway, really enjoying Luigi's Mansion. The animations are incredible, controls are surprisingly good considering the lack of a second stick, enemy variety is better than I remember it from the original, the bosses are ok (although the second mansion's boss was a bit of a cop out), the puzzles are pretty decent, and the visuals overall are amazing. Best looking 3DS game easily, both with and without 3D on. I also really like the idea of having different mansions to keep things exciting and adding some environment variety. A really great game, I do hope we get a LM3; Luigi's personality is such a good fit for this game and he's been made into such a solid character; it wouldn't be the same without him.

Oh and I've only played a little of the multiplayer, but I really liked it. Sort of a Left 4 Dead x Luigi's Mansion game. Great implementation, and download play only makes it better.

Linius

Just beat the third boss. Pretty intense boss fight, I know there was some complaining over the boss fights but I really liked the first and third so far. The second was way too easy though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just beat the third boss. Pretty intense boss fight, I know there was some complaining over the boss fights but I really liked the first and third so far. The second was way too easy though.

I didn't mind the third boss either. For the second one, the devs said that they basically wanted the journey to the boss be more difficult than the actual boss is (making the journey more of the boss than anything). Fourth boss is the one that most people here complained about, so I'm interested to see what you think of it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Am I missing something with the big ghost in the Piano room in the first mansion? I zap him with the light, he defends with the book and then disappears before I can get a lock on him with the Poltergeist

Niraj

Am I missing something with the big ghost in the Piano room in the first mansion? I zap him with the light, he defends with the book and then disappears before I can get a lock on him with the Poltergeist

Wait for him to throw the book, then flash.

WatTsu

Any advice for the
fourth mansion boss? It's such a radical departure from the rest of the game and the game is not set up to facilitate that change and it's incredibly frustrating and I hate it and I want to finish the game but I can't.

Niraj

Any advice for the
fourth mansion boss? It's such a radical departure from the rest of the game and the game is not set up to facilitate that change and it's incredibly frustrating and I hate it and I want to finish the game but I can't.

get rid of the middle three parts first. Then just move your cursor down and time it. When you have to shoot in its mouth, wait for it to get closer before shooting

Tom_Cody

I am just getting around to playing this now. I ended up spending muuuch longer with FE:A than I had anticipated.

I am at, but have not faced, the first boss. I have 1 or two stars for all the levels and the level select indicates that I have captured boos on every level starting with the one that you get the special light in.

Quick questions:

What does it look like (on the level select screen) when a level is fully completed?

Is it always possible to 100% a level as soon as you reach it, or do some levels require returning later once new power-ups have been collected?

Related to this, I seem to have missed a bunch of gems in the first mansion. Did I simply miss them or will I need to return later once I have more power-ups?

Niraj

I am just getting around to playing this now. I ended up spending muuuch longer with FE:A than I had anticipated.

I am at, but have not faced, the first boss. I have 1 or two stars for all the levels and the level select indicates that I have captured boos on every level starting with the one that you get the special light in.

Quick questions:

What does it look like (on the level select screen) when a level is fully completed?

Is it always possible to 100% a level as soon as you reach it, or do some levels require returning later once new power-ups have been collected?

Related to this, I seem to have missed a bunch of gems in the first mansion. Did I simply miss them or will I need to return later once I have more power-ups?

All it'll show is your (up to) 3 star ranking and a separate indicator for the Boo for each mission. I don't recall there being anything special in terms of a mansion selection indicator, though it's been awhile since I've played. When you get all the gems you just get a little Luigi statue thing you can look at, nothing special.

You have everything you need as soon as you enter the level. The only exception being the first couple missions in the first mansion, where you have to return to get the Boo.

You just missed them. They tend to be found based on the mission you're in (so the earlier gems are found in the earlier missions). Basically, once you get the dark light, you don't really get any new power-ups (just stronger vacuuming and longer dark light length).

Tom_Cody

All it'll show is your (up to) 3 star ranking and a separate indicator for the Boo for each mission. I don't recall there being anything special in terms of a mansion selection indicator, though it's been awhile since I've played. When you get all the gems you just get a little Luigi statue thing you can look at, nothing special.

You have everything you need as soon as you enter the level. The only exception being the first couple missions in the first mansion, where you have to return to get the Boo.

You just missed them. They tend to be found based on the mission you're in (so the earlier gems are found in the earlier missions). Basically, once you get the dark light, you don't really get any new power-ups (just stronger vacuuming and longer dark light length).
Perfect, thanks.

Nosgoroth

Just got around to finishing this and 24hr'd the final mansion. Is it just me or was the final boss really really good?

And not just King Boo, but the Knight boss and the Big Boo too. Lots of interesting mechanics, not repetitive, and not easy.

I leave satisfied.

DaBoss

Just got around to finishing this and 24hr'd the final mansion. Is it just me or was the final boss really really good?

And not just King Boo, but the Knight boss and the Big Boo too. Lots of interesting mechanics, not repetitive, and not easy.

I leave satisfied.

No, it's not just you, the final boss was REALLY good.

Mistle

Why was the ice mansion so short? It was so cool, but had fewer missions :/

And I was anticipating some horrible boss because of this thread, but it really wasn't that bad at all. I mean it wasn't great or anything, but I didn't think badly of it.

Niraj

Why was the ice mansion so short? It was so cool, but had fewer missions :/

And I was anticipating some horrible boss because of this thread, but it really wasn't that bad at all. I mean it wasn't great or anything, but I didn't think badly of it.

Disappointed me too, I really enjoyed that setting. Also, I see what you did there :p

Yeah I just beat the ice boss last night and thought it was the easiest of the game so far.

*Holt Shit at this last mission. Ok I got through the timed section on the 3rd try with about 60 health and a bone. But then terrace fight killed me as it just seemed to go on and on and on....and there's not even a checkpoint for that?!?! I have to do the timed section AGAIN? Christ, this is such a great game nearly ruined by truly some of the worst design decisions I've EVER seen in gaming. I'd like to know who gave the greenlight on releasing a handheld game with missions that can take upwards of 30-60 minutes if you don't know what you're doing or just want to explore the map not have a save or checkpoint system. Seriously, how does that happen?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I keep on debating whether I should pick up this game or DKCR for the summer. I played through DKCR on the Wii, and I hear its still bad ass on the 3DS. It sounds like a fun game to have on the go, and I think I'd still enjoy going through it again and trying the Mirror Mode.

But this game would be "new" to me. I'm happy hearing about the lack of check points and saving system, but surely it can't be that much different than Kid Icarus Uprising, right? Although in that game, when you had Game Over you can restart... whereas in this game you can't.

Tom_Cody

Two other quick questions:

-I replayed the first level and I got the boo but I still only got 2 stars. What are the conditions for getting 3 stars? I didn't know if I should focus more on completing the level quickly or on getting every single coin available. Also, do you need to finish without taking damage (I got hit once on that play through).

How long did it typically take ya'll to finish this. Like, how long to 100% complete it as indicated by the 3DS activity log.

Tom_Cody

Check out the walkthrough on IGN. They have a detailed breakdown of what is required for each medal at the end of each level.
Thanks. Ugh. I don't know how much fun it is going to be to triple star every level. I will probably just settle for getting all the boos and gems.

Finished the game last night. The checkpoints/save issue is incredibly frustrating at times but overall it's still such a great game. Truly some of the best character animation and charm in the entire industry. I would like to see a sequel take a heavier focus on puzzle solving, particularly if they are going to make you replay the entire level if you die.

Played a little multiplayer too last night which is surprisingly well done. Bummer that only Luigi is playable though (at least that I could tell). Would be fun to play as Mario or Toad or the Scientist as well.

Fireblend

Banned
Finished the game last night. The checkpoints/save issue is incredibly frustrating at times but overall it's still such a great game. Truly some of the best character animation and charm in the entire industry. I would like to see a sequel take a heavier focus on puzzle solving, particularly if they are going to make you replay the entire level if you die.

I'm starting the fourth mansion and I haven't ever died. Does the game get that hard from here to the end that not having checkpoints is actually an issue?

StAidan

I would like to see a sequel take a heavier focus on puzzle solving, particularly if they are going to make you replay the entire level if you die.

Wouldn't that increase the monotony of having to replay the level? The problem with focusing on puzzles is you'd then have to go through the motions of "solving" them even when you already know the answer. I don't know, it seems to me like there might be enough of that in this game already.

Wouldn't that increase the monotony of having to replay the level? The problem with focusing on puzzles is you'd then have to go through the motions of "solving" them even when you already know the answer. I don't know, it seems to me like there might be enough of that in this game already.

True. So let us save anywhere. It's a handheld game for crying out loud.

Linius

So, just beat the fourth mansion's boss. Really liked this mansion, too bad it's shorter than the other ones. Though I must say it wasn't all that challenging all the way trough. It was more the atmosphere of the icey mines that really did it. The puzzles were fun but not too hard.
I feel like the portals they introduced in this mansion have a lot more potential for more depth in the puzzles.
Oh and for shame, I blew almost 200 hearts on the balancing part near the end of D-1. Putting my 3DS on the table didn't work some how and at the time I didn't realise tilting the 3DS it self was what gave Luigi balance. I was working with the stick all the time. I felt so stupid afterwards :p

And then there's the boss.
It took me five tries to beat the nasty possesor. The first time was about figuring out what I had to do and the times after that I failed because of my poor aiming. I didn't really like the boss fight and hitting the pieces in the middle seemed more luck than skill imo.

All in all a great mansion to explore though not very challenging. On to the last one. A little over 13 hours in this game now according to the 3DS log.

I finally finished this game! *mutters about owing Niraj a game of scarescrapper*

4th Mansion boss was extremely odd to beat, but after about 5 tries, finally beat it.

Great game and definitely looking forward to future sequels if any.

Niraj

I finally finished this game! *mutters about owing Niraj a game of scarescrapper*

4th Mansion boss was extremely odd to beat, but after about 5 tries, finally beat it.

Great game and definitely looking forward to future sequels if any.

:p it'll happen someday probably

maybe

Linius

E-2 was great. That final mansion feels so big, I had no idea where to go half the time because there were rooms to explore everywhere. Took me almost 50 minutes to finish the level, longest time so far.

Niraj

E-2 was great. That final mansion feels so big, I had no idea where to go half the time because there were rooms to explore everywhere. Took me almost 50 minutes to finish the level, longest time so far.

Yeah man, fifth mansion has great atmosphere overall. Really liked the multiple themed rooms and having to go in between them.

DaBoss

For the 5th mansion,
the portals really made that mansion even more genius.
Absolutely loved the use of them.

Niraj

For the 5th mansion,
the portals really made that mansion even more genius.
Absolutely loved the use of them.

Definitely. I kind of wished that they had introduced that sooner, then expanded on it even more. Like what if you had to go between the actual mansions to solve puzzles? Granted, I'm not sure how well it would've been handled in this format, but I think some cool ideas could definitely be parsed out of the concept.

DaBoss

Definitely. I kind of wished that they had introduced that sooner, then expanded on it even more. Like what if you had to go between the actual mansions to solve puzzles? Granted, I'm not sure how well it would've been handled in this format, but I think some cool ideas could definitely be parsed out of the concept.

That would be cool. I'm hoping they make a Luigi's Mansion 3 or something similar to that sometime into the future. It can be like the change from Portal to Portal 2 which were both brilliant.

Top Bottom