• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

Dumb question: Can you play co-op (local co-op of course) with just one copy of the game? I know you could do this with some old DS/GBA games.

Linius

Just played trough E-3, 4 and 5. Really have to take a break now, especially E-5 was pretty intense.
They kept spamming ghosts on that court yard :p

Also got my final Poltergust update after E-5, come at me King Boo.

Edit

Well that's it! Beat King Boo, quite the boss battle I must say. Took me a while to figure out what I had to do exactly and after a fight of 22:53 minutes King Boo was past tence.

So I beat this game the day before yesterday, it was fun. Nothing too great but it was solid fun. 7.5 - 8/10

Somewhere in that range. Overall it was kind of easy but finding the gems was sometimes difficult. Some cool looking 3D too.

Dunkelgrau

No circle pad usage in this game. But I didn't miss it either, controls work perfectly fine for me as they are.
I knew that before, but I thought you could use ZL and ZR instead of L and R even if the circle pad is not supported natively. Only bought it because my XL is much more comfortable to hold with the circle pad.
Anyway, the R-Button seems to not easy to reach for me when I use my XL with the circlepad, but I will give it a chance tomorrow.

Pretty annoyed at the moment.

Doczu

I promised myself not to buy a single game untill i have some extra cash, but yesterday i got this game as a gift from my girl. And it's just so good. Like, SO GOOD. Great graphics, great gameplay. I just can't get enough of busting ghosts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Dear eerie staircase,

Fuck off.

Best regards, mrklaw

Seriously, that one part lost the game almost all the goodwill it had built up until then. And it was right after a great level too. Hope it picks up - if I'd have died at the end of that and had to do it over again I think I'd have taken the card out and never played it again.

IrishNinja

okay, so im at the 2nd to last level (the timed one) and i just cant get it done, even knowing where to go...what's the last upgrade? im like 4k coins from having it, should i go back to prior levels & grind or does it make much of a difference?

*edit ne'ermind, just grinded it out

TWILT

Banned
Just beat the game. Overall, it's was really good! Solid 8 to 8.5/10 game for me. I wish there were more upgrades to the Poltergust, but otherwise, I really enjoyed it. Year of Luigi indeed.

olimpia84

Just got done beating this game (finally!). Very enjoyable throughout, not great but probably a 8.0/10 for me. I still need to unlock every secret mission and delve into the multiplayer mode which I tried for a few minutes but didn't really have much of a clue as to what to do.

Here's hoping the game gets a sequel that adds the charm of the characters of the first game

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Dumb question: Can you play co-op (local co-op of course) with just one copy of the game? I know you could do this with some old DS/GBA games.
Yes you can. The person without the cart goes to Download Play app and the other person loads up the game and goes to local multiplayer. The game takes over from there...

Mistle

Sold 1.22 million units by March 31st. There will likely be a Luigi's Mansion 3, but platform is up in the air.

I'm happy with whatever. Preferably console, but I can't complain. If Luigi's Mansion becomes a stable series again then I'm happy regardless.

Hoodbury

Can someone let me know what you get for getting 3 stars and boo's and the gems?

I'm currently on the snow level and have been mostly getting 1 or 2 stars. I'm enjoying the game, but I doubt I'm going to go back and replay the levels once I beat the game, unless there is something significant in that accomplishment. I'm ready to beat it and move on to my next game.

Feel free to use spoiler tags incase others want to find out on their own.

Thanks

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can someone let me know what you get for getting 3 stars and boo's and the gems?

I'm currently on the snow level and have been mostly getting 1 or 2 stars. I'm enjoying the game, but I doubt I'm going to go back and replay the levels once I beat the game, unless there is something significant in that accomplishment. I'm ready to beat it and move on to my next game.

Feel free to use spoiler tags incase others want to find out on their own.

Thanks

a little medal thing on your file and next to your name in multi. So not much.

I'm on the third area. Really shows what the 3DS is capable of.

I really, really love this game.

I'm very thorough in every area, the longest I've spent on a level so far (minus the boss battles) is around 50 minutes.

This is the most glitched Nintendo game I have ever played. The Scarescraper is ridiculous, it's a miracle finishing a 25F without something going wrong. Hopefully they patch it, though I'll probably lose interest by then.

Robso

The game is so fucking shit, died after an hour mission, back to the start. FUCK YOU Nintendo. I can't believe they went with zero checkpoints or saving, it's totally unfair. Died after the game does the cheating move where you're fighting an end of level ghost and all you get is constant attacks from other enemies. The game makes me so frigging angry. Thank fuck this is the last mansion.

I was just about to order the game but luckily I looked at reviews first and then looked in this thread. No checkpoints. As much as I want to play the game, not sure I have the patience.

Is it generally a good game besides this?

Hoodbury

Just beat the snow level, one more to go. I'm really ready for it to be done. It's starting to drag on a bit too long now in my opinion. It's getting very repetitive with just different locations but doing the same things over and over.

Niraj

I was just about to order the game but luckily I looked at reviews first and then looked in this thread. No checkpoints. As much as I want to play the game, not sure I have the patience.

Man, honestly, I didn't think the no checkpoint thing was a big deal. Didn't die once, but it does seem like a fair number of people did find it problematic. Imo though, not a huge deal.

DaBoss

Man, honestly, I didn't think the no checkpoint thing was a big deal. Didn't die once, but it does seem like a fair number of people did find it problematic. Imo though, not a huge deal.

I didn't find it a big deal either, but they should have considered it for people who may have difficulties in games. They seem to have done it in every other game they made except this one sadly.

Just beat the snow level, one more to go. I'm really ready for it to be done. It's starting to drag on a bit too long now in my opinion. It's getting very repetitive with just different locations but doing the same things over and over.

The last mansion is the best. Though if there's a Luigi Mansion 3 they need to make more complex puzzles.

It's not a big deal. The only time I remember dying is on the last mission, and I had the golden bone so I was revived.

Anyway, I have become addicted to Scarescraper (even with the glitchy mess it is and the stupid randoms) and do a couple runs per day. I will probably stop once I get all the ghosts. I have already found all gems/boos and got all 3 star ratings, so that's the only thing left.

Niraj

I didn't find it a big deal either, but they should have considered it for people who may have difficulties in games. They seem to have done it in every other game they made except this one sadly.

I mean I guess I can understand that, but the golden bone is there to mitigate deaths. I didn't really feel like the difficulty was too high to begin with, but eh.

Robso

Hmm, maybe I should get it then.

I saw a comment under the GameSpot review that it's mainly short episodes anyway. 15 minutes in length on the longest episodes. Is this true?

Pachimari

Hmm I'm at A-5 "Sticky Situation" - how do I actually get rid of those spiderwebs? I'm trying all I can with the vacuum cleaner but nothing happens. =(

It's these huge ones - I've been stuck for weeks:

UCFSfo4.jpg

DaBoss

Hmm, maybe I should get it then.

I saw a comment under the GameSpot review that it's mainly short episodes anyway. 15 minutes in length on the longest episodes. Is this true?

I think so. It really depends on how much time you spend getting as much money as you can and looking for secrets.

Hmm I'm at A-5 "Sticky Situation" - how do I actually get rid of those spiderwebs? I'm trying all I can with the vacuum cleaner but nothing happens. =(

It's these huge ones - I've been stuck for weeks:

UCFSfo4.jpg

You're going to have to get there through the other side.

Pachimari

I think so. It really depends on how much time you spend getting as much money as you can and looking for secrets.

You're going to have to get there through the other side.

So it's only the small amounts of web I need to remove and not the larger chunks as well?

DaBoss

So it's only the small amounts of web I need to remove and not the larger chunks as well?

No, you have to get the large chunks as well. I'll put what you have to do in spoilers.

Get to that same room through that door at the bottom floor. Then move on to the room on the right. Then use the shaft all the way on the right by pulling that rope which will open up the shaft and use it to get to the floor above. Clear that room and then go to the left and you will be on the other side of the same room. Just use the ball and the fire in the painting and clear the large chunk.

CoLaN

I bought a 3DS XL with this game. Tonight i unlocked the online multiplayer portion and wow, im pleasantly surprised: it's fun, and really fleshed out. I played a run through a few floors with other 3 people, and defeated the boss. I was surprised to see how complete the scoreboard at the end of every floor was, too.

Loving the game.

Pachimari

No, you have to get the large chunks as well. I'll put what you have to do in spoilers.

Get to that same room through that door at the bottom floor. Then move on to the room on the right. Then use the shaft all the way on the right by pulling that rope which will open up the shaft and use it to get to the floor above. Clear that room and then go to the left and you will be on the other side of the same room. Just use the ball and the fire in the painting and clear the large chunk.
Oh yeah I know how to get there I jus didn't understand how to get rid of the huge webs in all of the room but you explained that too so thank you. :)

Adamator

Just finished the game on my Lunch break at work. Could not of enjoyed the game more. It's one of the games I didn't want to end, and I prolonged it as much as I could by playing Animal Crossing. Once I would start on Luigi though, I couldn't stop playing.

I absolutely adored this game.

It's funny that we pretty much finally have all those great games that we were first showed at the 3DS reveal.

I have not tried Multi-player at all though! I need to!

Pachimari

Can someone help me with B-1 A Job for a Plumber? I'm stuck at the very beginning actually, were I need to fix the water pump on the roof - how do I get there?

DaBoss

Can someone help me with B-1 A Job for a Plumber? I'm stuck at the very beginning actually, were I need to fix the water pump on the roof - how do I get there?

Use the bucket and put the yellow goo in there. Then put it on the switch at the front. Then go on top of the switch at the back and charge your flashlight to activate the light switches that appear.

Mistle

Oh man, using
the dpad in the final boss and having Luigi yell the various "Mario"'s
was so good

Had a blast with this game the whole way through. I'm so glad it exists, been wanting more LM for so long.

The credits music is awesome

Pachimari

Oh it says I have been playing it for 7.5 hours and I'm only at "mansion" 3 - the clockwork. Either I'm super slow; have let it stay on while it have been counting the minutes or the game is just super long.

I love it though even though it can be a TINY little bit repetitive but its nothing to worry about.

Velcro Fly

Finished the fourth mansion. First time I've played the game since I had an epic rage session about the gyro controls last April. The boss went surprisingly well. You just have to be patient. Still need the last gem though and to do
the post boss mission
. And of course I have the fifth mansion to go as well. Still would rate the game a solid 8/10 but the gyro controls seemingly being shoved into the game just don't do it for me. Hoping to finish the game by the end of the month for my own backlog busting.

Chopper

Finished the fourth mansion. First time I've played the game since I had an epic rage session about the gyro controls last April. The boss went surprisingly well. You just have to be patient. Still need the last gem though and to do
the post boss mission
. And of course I have the fifth mansion to go as well. Still would rate the game a solid 8/10 but the gyro controls seemingly being shoved into the game just don't do it for me. Hoping to finish the game by the end of the month for my own backlog busting.
Why are you even using the gyro controls if they bother you so much? I never used them once. X and Y do the same job.

Velcro Fly

Just powered through the last bit of the fifth mansion and the final boss.

I must say this is very close to my game of the year. I say that as someone who has never played the original. It has it's flaws, but the things it does well it does so well that I feel great having played the game. I felt going in like the controls could be an issue and sometimes they were. I raged in an epic fashion about the gyro controls for balancing. Once I got that figured out the game was great.

The mission buildup to the final boss was fantastic. The last couple missions were amazing. The fifth mansion boss I felt like was a step back from the previous mansion's boss. I felt like the Boolossus clone could have been the fifth mansion boss and the actual fifth mansion boss could have been a mid boss or something. I felt epic on that fifth mission where you had to clear out the rooms. Just a great mission despite making me anxious because of the time limits. Once I got a gold bone, I knew I could play a riskier game. I didn't like how time ran while I was taking to E. Gadd though. Felt like I could have failed the mission on that.

Total time played on my file says 23:26. Got everything but not every stage has 3 stars. Not sure I have the patience for that, unfortunately. Definitely feel like I'll replay the game eventually, possibly around Halloween. I watched Ghostbusters II the other day so it got me into the mood to play!

Having never played the original game I decided to give this a rental.

Overall I come away disappointed. When I first started the game, I loved that feeling of exploring every nook of the mansion. It was slow paced in a good way. Thematically it was a bit like a mix of Resident Evil's mansion, Ghostbusters and a PC game I remember called Ghost Master.

However after finishing the first mansion, the game quickly began to outstay its welcome. Like when you are attracted to someone for a certain quality and then it ends up driving you insane, my first issue with the game is that it never truly picks up its slow pace. It is always extremely plodding. This becomes even more of an issue when you die in a level and have to restart the whole fucking thing again. The game's slightly janky controls, particularly the way that the motion control conflicts with the 3D and how it really needs a second stick for aiming the vacuum, only exacerbates problems.

The mission structure is pretty unimaginative too. Once you have played through the first mission of a mansion, you've already gotten a pretty good feel for and seen a good chunk of the level. Having to then fulfill other objectives in that level often results in a lot of backtracking (or sidetracking I guess), covering the same ground but for different reasons. The objectives are usually mundane and essentially just glorified fetch quests - collect parts for something, chase the dog, get to the boss etc. The game becomes very repetitive, to the point that as soon as I saw the fucking dog steal the key again in the last mansion, I was done with the game.

I did not finish it and have no regrets as I doubt i've missed much in the last two hours. Which brings me to my final point - the game is too damn long. I had logged about 12 hours by this point - the game should be about half of this length. The average play time seems to be over 20 hours, and I cannot fathom how people could play it for so long and not be bored. I think I would have come away from it more positively if each mansion had less objectives and was more open-ended from the offset. Maybe like a mini-Metroidvania, or even just one big mansion instead of 5. Who knows what the fix is, but the way the game is structured now is painful.

Being warped back to home base all the time murdered the pacing as well. It's not badly written, but I found myself just skipping all of the Gadd sections because he talked so fucking much and I just wanted to get back into the action. I imagine this is exactly what Jonathan Blow was thinking of when he was talking about why Japanese games suck (yes, I am aware that it was made in the US). Some stuff I liked about the game was Luigi's charm, the musical remixes (especially the DS ring tone) and the boss battles were okay. The visuals are also a step above what I have typically seen on 3DS. But the general game design is just so weak and dull that these plus points can't make up for the shortcomings.

5/10

Top Bottom