• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon |OT| Take ghost-busting to the Next Level

daripad

So how can I save in the game?

And OMfG dat soundtrack is amazing, Nintendo is going in the righ direction with that lately

lol beginner's luck (either that or the game keeps pitying me :p)

Was fun guys, thanks for carrying me through my first 2 games haha

We will need to do a 25-floor one time just to see our endurance and move up to hard mode soon.

Good game, I'll see if I can try to schedule another one later on.

Yuripaw

Banned
I haven't really read this topic, so please forgive my stupid question. I know Mario or Luigi games are never real deep on story line...unless it's a Mario RPG. I'm just curious, what's the set up for this game? The first one was pretty simple, Luigi inherits a mansion, and Mario is trapped inside of it...this game has 5 mansions from what the OT says...is Mario missing again? What's the set up?

Shahadan

I haven't really read this topic, so please forgive my stupid question. I know Mario or Luigi games are never real deep on story line...unless it's a Mario RPG. I'm just curious, what's the set up for this game? The first one was pretty simple, Luigi inherits a mansion, and Mario is trapped inside of it...this game has 5 mansions from what the OT says...is Mario missing again? What's the set up?

the Dark Moon is broken in five pieces by King Boo, making the ghosts go crazy. One piece on each mansion. Probably even less original and complicated than the first :lol:

lol beginner's luck (either that or the game keeps pitying me :p)

Was fun guys, thanks for carrying me through my first 2 games haha

What's your friend code? I can't find it.
Edit : Nevermind found it!

Anyway I'm hosting a quick polterpup game, anyone is welcome. I'll start in 10 minutes or so.

zroid

Banned

The premise is even more straightforward -- King Boo effs with the Dark Moon and it makes all the ghosts go crazy. E Gadd calls Luigi to sort shit out.

I see the poltergust has three levels, so the bigger the ghost the longer to hold, correct, I get confused with the second level on it.

the Dark Moon is broken in five pieces by King Boo, making the ghosts go crazy. One piece on each mansion. Probably even less original and complicated than the first :lol:

What's your friend code? I can't find it.
Edit : Nevermind found it!

Anyway I'm hosting a quick polterpup game, anyone is welcome. I'll start in 10 minutes or so.

I added ya, mine's 2637-9874-2211 US East but I'm out for the night

zroid

Banned
I see the poltergust has three levels, so the bigger the ghost the longer to hold, correct, I get confused with the second level on it.

I think basically the idea is you want to let the meter fill as much as possible before zapping the ghost(s), without allowing them to be caught before you zap (or after, for that matter -- only during). The more you fill it, the more gold they drop.

There might be more to it but I'm relatively early in the game still.

Grisby

Started playing this. Up to the second mansion. Enjoying it throughly. The graphics look nice in 3D but if you turn it off you seem to get a real smoothness to the look. Everything has charm and I immediately wish I had played the original.

However, on the first boss I was having trouble aiming and trying to get my sucker to do what I wanted it to do. Caused me to curse a bit. Luigi is awesome when you don't have to dodge a lot of shit or do anything precise

dtekdahl00

Neo Member
I'm trying to fill my ghostiary for the Scarescraper, but I'm having trouble finding ghosts I haven't seen yet. Does anyone know the general rule for finding them? Higher floors, greater likelihood of finding new ghosts? Aside from polterpups, are they mode-specific?

Nekofrog

Banned
Struggling to get into this.

Loved the first one, but there are too many drawbacks for me to really get into this. The jaggies -- oh my god the jaggies, they almost hurt to look at. The framerate can be a problem, and it is really jarring due to the cut scene drops to 20 or so.

Tilting is bullshit.

Bosses can be bullshit.

On the upside? The music is fantastic.

This should have been a Wii U title.

Shahadan

I'm trying to fill my ghostiary for the Scarescraper, but I'm having trouble finding ghosts I haven't seen yet. Does anyone know the general rule for finding them? Higher floors, greater likelihood of finding new ghosts? Aside from polterpups, are they mode-specific?

Higher floors and higher difficulties.

I hope the Polterpup appears in Smash Bros as one of Luigi's attacks. In any case they should definitely keep him.

I did some multi-player yesterday, it's fantastic!

Downside, I had not finished the first mansion so I was stuck on Download Play mode.

Is there an advantage to being on your cart for multi-player?

kinggroin

Banned

Loved the first one, but there are too many drawbacks for me to really get into this. The jaggies -- oh my god the jaggies, they almost hurt to look at. The framerate can be a problem, and it is really jarring due to the cut scene drops to 20 or so.

Tilting is bullshit.

Bosses can be bullshit.

Mmmmmm, one can only hope.

zroid

Banned
I genuinely feel sorry for people who are bothered by aliasing. I barely even notice it, usually, and even when I do, I'm pretty apathetic. Always seems to me people would get a lot more enjoyment out of games in general if they could ignore this sort of trivia.

Tilting is bullshit.

Bosses can be bullshit.

Wut?

daripad

I genuinely feel sorry for people who are bothered by aliasing. I barely even notice it, usually, and even when I do, I'm pretty apathetic. Always seems to me people would get a lot more enjoyment out of games in general if they could ignore this sort of trivia.
This. People should worry more about gameplay than the fucking graphics (even the artstyle is more important than that)

Bladenic

Me too, I don't even pay attention to such things. Only thing I care about is when frame rate dips to obscenely low levels and games slow down. Not that it happens in this game.

The only think I really notice is "Wow the aliasing is so much better than 3D Land"; Nintendo has shown really steady progression with 3DS titles, I can't wait to see what 3D Land 2 is like and if the AA is much improved.

Doesn't ruin my enjoyment of a game but I do get drawn in more if it feels less 'gamey'; which frankly Luigi does amazingly, its like a Cartoon.

I don't know how it looks on the XL, but on the standard 3DS the jaggies are pretty negligible. Having too much fun to notice, etc. If you look close enough at any one element of LM2, the graphics are not fantastic. But all of it working together, along with the superb lighting and animation, makes the game look so good.

Iacobellis

I don't know how it looks on the XL, but on the standard 3DS the jaggies are pretty negligible. Having too much fun to notice, etc. If you look close enough at any one element of LM2, the graphics are not fantastic. But all of it working together, along with the superb lighting and animation, makes the game look so good.

The aliasing is pretty noticeable on an XL. Coming from a world of Retina MacBooks and iPhones, it took me some time to get accustomed to.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I finally got this and obviously, my sister wants to play it first. Thank god she's leaving later today

jesus..

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I finally picked up this game yesterday and got Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone for free as part of the 3DS XL promo.

I'm still on the first mansion but wow, this game is gorgeous, the music is awesome and the 3D is great. Only question I have is about structure - is each mansion divided up into missions, or is it just like that early on?

Also, when you go back on a new mission I noticed it lets you freely roam the mansion and previous rooms. Is there any point in going back to previous rooms (to find hidden items and stuff) and is there a way to keep track of what you're still missing from the main menu?

Tuck

This. It really doesn't bother me.

Sillverrr

I'm loving this game on a 3DS XL. If you think the graphics are bad (e.g. lack of anti-aliasing) I don't know how to convince you otherwise. Game's gorgeous and runs pretty damn smoothly - I didn't think the hardware was capable of this. Now counter this with Assassin's Creed 3 - a game I gave up on because it runs like ass on every platform (sorry, had to get a dig in somewhere).

Music in Mansion 2 is also particularly awesome. I've only completed up to Mission 2-2 as I'm dividing my time between several games, but so far this is my top game this year (although Bioshock Infinite is a rare case of a game improving as it goes on). Love the blend of puzzles and exploration. At this point I don't want the game to end.

I'm not bothered by the aliasing but I do wish that the frame rate was locked. The parts where the game is running at or near 60fps are so gorgeous that it's painful when it falls back down to the norm :/

I'm only on the second mansion but I love the game so far. I hope that this team gets a handheld/console Zelda next as I like their approach to puzzles and new abilities.

zroid

Banned
Yeah I certainly agree about the framerate. It's fine but disappointing they couldn't at least keep it locked at 30.

GeekyDad

It just occurred to me how ironic it is that an original, phat DS is used as a communication device with E Gadd when we still have such archaic communication on 3DS.

dwu8991

Banned
Yeah I certainly agree about the framerate. It's fine but disappointing they couldn't at least keep it locked at 30.

The 3DS is like the same power of an N64 but is expected to run the game like a Gamecube game, no surprises something had to give

Shahadan

Let me remind you that I added everyone from Europe and a lot from the US.
And almost none of you added me back :(

My code is still 1821-9015-5382.

Top Bottom